Hawaii

12,389 Views | 103 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by The Lost
Ken Adams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, Sept UY. Spent a long time on the phone with member services last week. Will keep trying to talk to other people and email. They're being really inflexible granting the extension since Aulani technically isn't "closed" during our trip in July yet.

Cool to know a fellow DVC on the boards. Haven't stayed at BWV yet but it's top of the list.
TexasAggie73
AG
mattmb917 said:

Yep, Sept UY. Spent a long time on the phone with member services last week. Will keep trying to talk to other people and email. They're being really inflexible granting the extension since Aulani technically isn't "closed" during our trip in July yet.

Cool to know a fellow DVC on the boards. Haven't stayed at BWV yet but it's top of the list.
There are some good social forums to get good advice. The two best are TUG and Disboards.com. Feel sorry for the CM's with the poor information flow and constant changing of policies. There is only so much they can do, especially if they are banked points from 2018.
EliteElectric
TexasAggie73 said:

EliteElectric said:

8/6 to Aulani doesn't look good for us.
Aulani is a beautiful resort. Hope you still get a chance to go, if not in August, some other time.
Yes it is, we've been twice.
txam92
AG
One of the articles talking about the extension to July 31 says they are trying to figure out the logistics of making people providing verified negative test results BEFORE even getting on a plane to Hawaii. If they follow through on that, it looks like their determined to keep the majority of mainlanders away for the rest of this year. I have a trip planned for the end of September and that's not looking good
Ken Adams
AG
Saw this linked to a Hawaii tourist group on facebook. Don't know how/what impact this would have but it's a sign people are getting tired of their "plan." Pressure seems to be boiling up for a lot of people there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/news/2020/06/10/law-firm-files-lawsuit-against-ige.html

https://www.kitv.com/story/42234469/vacation-rental-owners-claim-discrimination-threaten-lawsuit?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_KITV4

scd88
AG
My SIL and her kids are coming to the mainland to help my MIL move and had planned on staying for my sons wedding. They cannot now due to work and quarantine schedules. My BIL is in the military and they have different rules, anyway.

I was planning on going this spring but am so pissed off at their leadership I am hesitant to spend my money there. The locals are not fans of mainlanders and now their politicians are behaving the same way.
Phat32
AG
They should absolutely file suit. The governor has turned into an emperor under the guise of no one ever getting sick again.
Trucker 96
You know the governor's paychecks are clearing. It's not that hard keep restrictions in place when it's not your livelihood at stake and your pantry is full.
Austintm
My daughter and SIL live on Oahu. They say everyone there is pretty certain the restrictions will get extended past July 31. They only now have ended the restriction prohibiting even the residents from traveling between the islands. Fortunately, they don't rely on the travel industry for their jobs
Jock 07
AG
https://abcnews.go.com/US/ghost-town-tourism-plummets-coronavirus-hawaii-grapples-great/story?id=70880589

Well at least HI planned for and effectively executed a plan to deal with the massive unemployment that resulted from their policies. Haha just kidding, the didn't
TexasAggie73
AG
Anyone had luck getting their money back from cancelling flights with Hawaiian Airlines?
EliteElectric
TexasAggie73 said:

Anyone had luck getting their money back from cancelling flights with Hawaiian Airlines?

Called expedia last night our trip is fully refundable until 8.1 and our tripis 8.6 so gonna wait until the last minute just for gp.
Phat32
AG
Just insanity: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/06/23/maui-lawmaker-husband-face-charges-violating-virus-order/
EliteElectric
Wow.
EliteElectric
Wow.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
yukmonkey said:

Just insanity: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/06/23/maui-lawmaker-husband-face-charges-violating-virus-order/

Had a great sandwich at the 808 Deli near there, really makes you think.
cr0wbar
AG
Tripped planned mid September - keeping an eye on this site, havent seen it posted yet:

https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/alerts/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/
Ken Adams
AG
Gov Ige is speaking at 2:30 local time today. Transpacific travel is on the list of topics. If I get a chance to catch it live I'll add some notes or may come back later to summarize.

Watched about 20 minutes of various officials in HI speak and a few Q&A.
This all goes into effect Aug 1.
-biggest takeaway is allowing travelers to skip 14 day quarantine if they have a verified neg PCR CV19 year 72 prior to arrival. Quarantine in effect indefinitely if no test prior.
-HI airport won't be testing, so has to be done prior
-partnering with CVS to establish database to make access easy for mainlanders. No mention of cost or who pays.
-no mention of age requirements for who needs a test
-would take a doubling of cases over a two week period to roll back restrictions
-no mention of specific states that aren't allowed, still being discussed

Still more to come out over the next few days I'm sure but those were the main takeaways for now
Post removed:
by user
BSD
AG
SoupNazi2001 said:

This is basically what Maine, Alaska and the Bahamas are doing. Making you get a negative test right before you come. Problem is it would really suck if you are an asymptomatic positive a day before you leave and can't get a refund because you are past the refund window. Don't think it is worth the risk.

Many companies in Alaska (hotels, airlines, lodges, tours) are giving you 72 hours to cancel so that if the unfortunate situation like you described happens, you can get a refund or go back the next year. Many of those usually have two week to eight weeks cancellation policies. I would hope Hawaii businesses do the same.
Post removed:
by user
EliteElectric
if Aulani is open and functional by 8.6 we may get to go, not holding my breath though
EliteElectric
OK, I am going to book a Cancun concurrent to the Aulani trip and cancel accordingly. Ughh. wish Aulani/Disney would announce reopening plan so it would help us decide.
lil99chris
AG
Be sure to contact me for your Aulani trip! Contact info in user profile.
EliteElectric
Do you have info? We booked Aulani a year ago on expedia so not really looking to purchase a trip right now, maybe in the future.
Ken Adams
AG
I haven't gotten the slightest rumor to them pushing an open date yet. We have friends with a trip booked at the Marriott right next to Aulani and it will be open for their trip starting Aug 11.

The 72 hour test before you arrive is what seems the biggest issue for me no matter when an open date is put out. That's a lot of risk for a group of 9 adults plus a few kids to have one person test positive and potentially derail the whole trip hours before boarding a plane. And that's if we all even get results back that quick.
EliteElectric
Went ahead and cancelled Aulani today, rumor has it "earliest" opening date is 9/1 and with limited amenities. That said we dropped the cancel hammer on it, United has given us $700 voucher for any time between now and March 2022 to fly domestically for each passenger in our party.

Cancun here we come
JMac03
AG
Here is the health form required to enter Mexico - they are also giving them out at the airport. I assume you need to fill it out the day of or day before travel:

http://afac.hostingerapp.com/?fbclid=IwAR2PN7rm6cETqiT2hPPTp_hLYQWHU8aLeHi-JDmVaNUxlHY0gDiFSsVXYW8&__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=90130f44b08c2a5f12b08b4c707fa7f1bce4cf64-1594146896-0-AWMVAvmUOdP5ghGNSukSbdxlSKnfpqriqbocc1Tqqhe4YmWLo5fONEi4d1TUnDguxxdo5eIUNYhn4Akz5iGxAcler_GJ1Mwm48sNpVQ1c_wwutYYN5or6DVrUatXT90p_wOaFYPKK74gDs3_vv4d0eacLuzQJTW5BMucBvGYb037OplrSOCLjwRsCpVzNZLtjj5IQBPqHKcty2ylTeMaLpgg1WIbm9t0hb4ELRATg7JXF_vBK4VWj9bP4JeSr7EJwTxCCJFEbsKLARUrnOWqYoIAxys0f-Z4VogChusZOZefIp4ARn6AJ7lsOOB7vh9WtC89DRWNH2TUfCC58Hpq1fSNl-YwQxBGGBvfXIUB4jvfk_EUQrwzOwQE2-h8Onm6wdgSz-7qHBSrJitMY3AtsaBnKn5dsKCrxeJgJxp9wFt6
EliteElectric
Thanks
Ken Adams
AG
We ended up rescheduling for 8/29. Probably the last time we will kick the can down the Hawaii road for the near future. A week ago I felt pretty optimistic but HI government is still dragging their feet in every way possible to provide clarity on their now tentative 8/1 reopen date. Reading between the lines, I'd say they are doing anything possible to appear open but make it extremely difficult to make it worth the trip out there.
The Lost
mattmb917 said:

We ended up rescheduling for 8/29. Probably the last time we will kick the can down the Hawaii road for the near future. A week ago I felt pretty optimistic but HI government is still dragging their feet in every way possible to provide clarity on their now tentative 8/1 reopen date. Reading between the lines, I'd say they are doing anything possible to appear open but make it extremely difficult to make it worth the trip out there.

We're supposed to go 8/31, pretty close to just cancelling and debating mexico or no honeymoon now. It's just not worth the risk of the 3 day test I think.
shertown04
AG
Our first anniversary trip in May had to be cancelled. Went to Maui last year for the honeymoon and made reservations in January for Oahu. Luckily AirBNB gave us a full credit refund (would only give 50% back if you wanted cash), American Airlines gave a full refund, as did the rental car company. We were trying to wait and see if/when restrictions would be eased but it's now mid-July and we've both been working from home since March and only taken 2 days of PTO so far all year so we have given up on Hawaii for this year. Gotta get out of the house and go somewhere far away from here for a little while.
Austintm
shertown04 said:

Our first anniversary trip in May had to be cancelled. Went to Maui last year for the honeymoon and made reservations in January for Oahu. Luckily AirBNB gave us a full credit refund (would only give 50% back if you wanted cash), American Airlines gave a full refund, as did the rental car company. We were trying to wait and see if/when restrictions would be eased but it's now mid-July and we've both been working from home since March and only taken 2 days of PTO so far all year so we have given up on Hawaii for this year. Gotta get out of the house and go somewhere far away from here for a little while.
When you go, skip Oahu and go to Kauai
Ken Adams
AG
We just cancelled yesterday. Too much at risk and unknown at this point. Hawaiian leaders already talking about possibly delaying the Aug 1 target date and the testing requirement is almost reason enough to skip. Tough pill to swallow after a couple of years of planning.
The Lost
Reopening pushed to 9/1 so we're officially out

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.