Mountains in the Summer (New Mexico or Colorado) with Kids

5,901 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ernest Tucker
Jab
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome - thank you both
mike073
AG
Pete - we looked all around Colorado for a condo in a good rental situation. We found Estes Park fit the bill perfectly. Four hours door to door from San Antonio via Denver. Have had around 250 + rental days annually and 7-10% return on investment depending on expenses to maintain the place. On site management makes my live very easy. It has been this way for 8+ years. Happy to visit with you.
Gig 'em Aggies!

irish pete ag06
AG
mike073 said:

Pete - we looked all around Colorado for a condo in a good rental situation. We found Estes Park fit the bill perfectly. Four hours door to door from San Antonio via Denver. Have had around 250 + rental days annually and 7-10% return on investment depending on expenses to maintain the place. On site management makes my live very easy. It has been this way for 8+ years. Happy to visit with you.
That is awesome. I will definitely be picking your brain about this since you offered.
irish pete ag06
AG
mike073 said:

Adding this comment to say that wow you bought at the right time! One of the reasons I want to look and get a place or two nailed down that I like is being ready to buy during the next housing market dip (whenever that may be).
ol'Porkbelly
AG
Candiru said:

For two consecutive summers, we went to Estes Park and stayed in a VRBO place called Elkhorn cottage. I took cheap hummingbird feeders and put them up in trees off the big porch for non stop entertainment. We did several hikes in RMNP. We played at Fun City (putt putt, old school big slide with burlap sacks, bumper cars, etc.). We rented a pontoon and drove around on Lake Estes letting the kids each have a turn at the wheel. Saw the same bald eagle (probably) on the same electrical tower both years.

It wasn't fancy or expensive, yet they still talk about Estes Park and it is still the measuring stick for our vacations.

Drove from Dallas area to Raton, NM and stayed the night on our way up. Have done return trip all
In one day and stayed in Amarillo the other time.
We stayed at Elkhorn with my extended family and really enjoyed it. Kids loved riding the bikes all around the property and you can't beat the proximity to RMNP.

We go to Brek just about every summer and it is awesome too. Best place to get out of the Texas heat as it is probably the coolest of all the spots due to the altitude. Nice downtown and lots of activities for kids.
Smudge
AG
I own a couple of resorts in Estes Park. Castle & McGregor Mountain Lodges. I think Castle may be a good option for you guys. Right in the river only 3 miles from the park entrance.

Http://www.CastleMountainLodge.com
Class of '00
Gig 'em!
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

I own a couple of resorts in Estes Park.
What's the TexAgs discount?
Beckdiesel03
AG
I think we have decided to try out Red River this summer thanks to this thread. The kids are super excited about seeing mountains.
TxAg20
AG
Jab said:

I'm actually headed to Telluride this summer with my wife and 2 kids (6 and 9) for the first time. We're staying in a hotel in Mountain Village and I'd love to hear your suggestions if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

Everything Austin said is good.

Other good dining options are Rustico in Telluride for a casual Italian place and Taco del Gnar for fast, good tacos. A dinner at Allred's is worth the view. Request a table next to the windows. All of the above are kid friendly. Outside of Allred's, I haven't eaten anywhere in Mountain Village that I would go out of my way for. I've eaten at most of the places in the Core including Tomboy Tavern. Nothing awful, but nothing notable. The Butcher and Baker is a good breakfast place. They have a few tables outside behind the restaurant and a rickety play set for kids. I can't remember the name of it, but next to the New Sheridan Chop House is a surprisingly good sandwich and salad place for a quick lunch. We typically ride the Gondola down to Telluride to eat. New Sheridan Chop House, or just "The Chop House" if you're a local, is probably the nicest sit down restaurant. It's good and I'm pretty sure they're kid friendly, but we haven't taken our kids as a 2-3 hour dinner isn't uncommon.

If you're taking a 4x4 vehicle, or interested in renting one, Imogene Pass is an easy trail for the competent 4x4 driver. I would turn around at the top and go back to Telluride as the decsent into Ouray is a little more sporting. Black Bear pass is another good one, but hire a driver if you're squeamish. Each take a 1/2 day or more, so pack a lunch.

My kids enjoyed paddle boarding at Trout Lake. You can rent inflatable paddle boards at Telluride Outside. They're far more rigid than they sound. Mountain Village also has day camps for kids. We usually sign our kids up for 1 or 2 days and they always have a great time. 6 and 9 should be in the same "class", so at least your kids will know each other if they're a little apprehensive at making new friends.

For mountain biking, the Village Trail is mostly downhill with no tough climbs. Just make sure your kids are comfortable using their brakes. The Prospect Trail is a little more challenging, but doable for the casual rider. Both start at the San Sophia Station at the top of the Gondola. There are plenty of places to rent bikes in Mountain Village and Telluride if you don't want to haul bikes there. Bikes are also welcome on the Gondola.

Bridal Veil Falls is a good, easy hike. You can drive up part way (or most of the way) to make it an easier hike. My kids did it at 3 and 6, so it's not bad. I think my 3 year old road on my shoulders most of the way though.

If you're driving, Durango is a cool place to stop. In good weather, take the million dollar highway through Silverton and on to Telluride. There are some incredible views, but also some incredible cliffs without guard rails. I promise it's worth driving at least once. Purgatory is also just north of Durango and they have some cool kids activities to wear out the kids before getting back in the car. Durango also has a train, but the ride gets a little long and boring for the kids. We went zip-lining at a place called Soaring Colorado. You ride the train out and back and spend most of the day zip-lining with several lines crossing the Animas River. That's a full day activity.
Ernest Tucker
AG
https://funvalley.us/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Yzyhu_l5wIVhBh9Ch1I0goFEAAYASAAEgJu4vD_BwE

Fun Valley is in the southern part of Colorado and great for kids.
Jab
AG
Sounds awesome - thanks for the suggestions!
ChoppinDs40
AG
brd79 said:

https://funvalley.us/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6Yzyhu_l5wIVhBh9Ch1I0goFEAAYASAAEgJu4vD_BwE

Fun Valley is in the southern part of Colorado and great for kids.

Went there every summer of my childhood. Very nostalgic. Haven't been back in probably 15-20 years.

We rode our bikes everywhere. I played putt putt every day multiple times. We fished and did a fish fry every year. Tubed the river. Horseback riding and hiking.

Loved the rec hall (played the avengers arcade game more than I can remember).

All you can eat steak night at the restaurant was always a hit!
Charlie Murphy
Glad to see some Fun Valley rec's, I suppose I crossed paths with some of you in the 90s. I've got this place to blame for my trout fishing obsession
Ernest Tucker
AG
Awesome to see all the fun valley memories. I'm sure I crossed paths with some of you as I was there nearly every summer in the early 90's. Sitting around the main fire pit with the other kids, the arcade that could easily Turn into a dance hall as well.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.