Mountains in the Summer (New Mexico or Colorado) with Kids

5,872 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Ernest Tucker
irish pete ag06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking about taking the family to the mountains this summer to beat the Texas heat. Any one have any recommendations for a good summer mountain trip? Would probably invite the grandparents to come with us too.
FrontPorchAg
Any other activities you want to accomplish? Fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc?
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Candiru
AG
For two consecutive summers, we went to Estes Park and stayed in a VRBO place called Elkhorn cottage. I took cheap hummingbird feeders and put them up in trees off the big porch for non stop entertainment. We did several hikes in RMNP. We played at Fun City (putt putt, old school big slide with burlap sacks, bumper cars, etc.). We rented a pontoon and drove around on Lake Estes letting the kids each have a turn at the wheel. Saw the same bald eagle (probably) on the same electrical tower both years.

It wasn't fancy or expensive, yet they still talk about Estes Park and it is still the measuring stick for our vacations.

Drove from Dallas area to Raton, NM and stayed the night on our way up. Have done return trip all
In one day and stayed in Amarillo the other time.
irish pete ag06
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Any other activities you want to accomplish? Fly fishing, hiking, mountain biking etc?

Open to just about all of it, although kids are both pretty young... so fly fishing fishing is out.
Harry Stone
AG
i suggest looking into the banff area of canada. its spectacular and with the exchange rate probably cheaper too. 77 cents on the canadian dollar.
lil99chris
AG
Breckenridge is a great spot. Be aware of the elevation.

https://texags.com/forums/54/topics/3041149
TxAg20
AG
My young family (kids are now 5 and 8) has been going to Telluride (staying in Mountain Village) the last 4 years. They have kids day camps that our kids enjoy and I like to ride mountain bikes. Last year my then 7 year old rode a couple of trails with me. There are also Jeep rentals and public 4x4 trails.

We also spend a couple of days in Durango and/or Ouray.

If you go this route, I can give you lots of suggestions.
htxag09
AG
Budget?

We've done various summer trips to Colorado (Vail & Breck) and Jackson Hole a few times. Jackson Hole has been our top summer trip, we've liked the fly fishing, white water rafting, etc. more. Colorado seems to have more hiking options within various driving distances (going to Co for a 14er this summer) but plenty of hiking trails in Jackson to keep the family entertained. Plus you can head up to Yellowstone. However, Jackson is more expensive and way more of a haul to get to, either have to make a pretty good drive from Salt Lake or add a layover and fly into Jackson, which again adds money.

Banff is next on our list.
dgb99
AG
Another vote for Breckenridge here. We went last summer (late July) with two boys (9 and 12) and it was awesome getting out of the Texas heat. We were actually cold at night after dinner...

Stopped in Raton, NM on the way there. Drove straight through on the way back after considering stopping in Abilene.

Hiked a small trail close to the VRBO we stayed at (Beaver Run - some rooms are available as VRBO). Went to Epic Discovery Park for zip lining, alpine slides, and a ropes course. Pricey but worth it if you have a guaranteed full day of sunshine. Kinda fun simply to ride the chairlifts and gondolas (we aren't skiers). Went on a river raft tour (I wouldn't really call it white water rafting because it was very much a 'beginner's' type tour).

It was a great trip.
MAROON
AG
how about the Smokey Mountains?
What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
CanyonAg77
AG
MAROON said:

Having been there a few days ago, I'd avoid it in the summer. Too damn many people this time of year, summer would be a nightmare.

And Seveirreville, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg....nightmares.
CanyonAg77
AG
And for the OP, yeah it's redneck, but Red River NM is a long time family destination for Texans.
irish pete ag06
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

And for the OP, yeah it's redneck, but Red River NM is a long time family destination for Texans.
I had a co-worker whose family went every year. I don't mind redneck.
CanyonAg77
AG
They have been doing the family vacation thing for 70 years. Lots to do
MAROON
AG
ya, if you hang out in those towns it would be bad..If you stay outside of the bigger towns its not that bad. Miles and miles of country to explore.
Ag CPA
AG
We go to Angel Fire in the winter, but there is more to do in the summer at the big Colorado resorts. Our favorite over the years with the kids was Vail; lots of activities at the top of the mountain, close to the Colorado for rafting, golf and the village has enough going on at night to stay entertained (restaurants, bowling, movies, etc.). Summer nights in Angel Fire are spent sitting around the house.
Austintm
So in NM we've stayed at Angel Fire and Taos in the summer. In Colorado, Breck, Durango, Steamboat, Beaver Creek and Telluride. Telluride is by far our favorite (in the winter as well), but with kids there is more to do at the other Colorado locations mentioned.
Fairview
AG
Vail has really upped their game for summer activities in the last couple years. You are also by Glenwood Springs to go the a adventure park there. Sylvan Lake State Park is nearby and you could also do day trips to Breck or Beaver Creek.

It cools down at night and the heat is not close to Texas but it still can get hot in Colorado. Another option to consider is Whistler. Its farther but its a really cool place.
nosoupforyou
AG
Jackson Hole, WY

Thank me later!
ChoppinDs40
AG
Fun Valley. Close to southfork, CO.

Spent every summer there as a kid and fell in love with it.

Fishing, horseback riding, tubing, kids can ride their bikes safely, hiking, putt putt golf. Paddle boats.
Schall 02
AG
Be aware of massive summer crowds in Estes Park/RMNP.
Greener Acres
AG
From my experience, the outdoor activities in NM are a bit more accessible for younger kids than Colorado. Plus they are cheaper. Our young kids struggled with the mountains in Colorado last summer and all of the organized things to do were pricey. This isn't true for all of Colorado or all of NM, but just my experience with Colorado Springs and Vail, versus Santa Fe, Ruidoso, Angel Fire (region).
TBass IV
AG
www.tahosaranch.com
There isn't anywhere better than Estes Park for a family trip. The activities are endless and our home has been descended as the quintessential Rocky Mountain home located in the National forest with horse creek right out the front door.
Also, flights to Denver are cheap and then I'd recommend renting a Jeep from a good rental car company- United, frontier, spirit, southwest flights are usually very inexpensive on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Saturday from Austin. It's about 14 hours to drive from Salado, tx
proudaggie02
AG
I have places in Breckenridge and Crested Butte. While I enjoy Breckenridge for proximity to home (Denver) and being a bigger town, I love Crested Butte for outdoor activities in the summer. One thing to consider for a "beat the heat" trip is that the majority of residential buildings in most Colorado mountain towns do not have A/C. I would do homework if you want A/C.
FarmerJohn
AG
Sshhh! The key part of a hidden gem is that it stays hidden!

In all seriousness, wife's family have going for years, I went for the first time back in September. It's a great spot off the beaten path. I wouldn't say there's a ton to do, but there's more than enough to stay entertained.
irish pete ag06
AG
Harry Stone said:

i suggest looking into the banff area of canada. its spectacular and with the exchange rate probably cheaper too. 77 cents on the canadian dollar.
Banff is definitely on the list, but we are looking more driveable locations like NM or CO.
irish pete ag06
AG
Candiru said:

For two consecutive summers, we went to Estes Park and stayed in a VRBO place called Elkhorn cottage. I took cheap hummingbird feeders and put them up in trees off the big porch for non stop entertainment. We did several hikes in RMNP. We played at Fun City (putt putt, old school big slide with burlap sacks, bumper cars, etc.). We rented a pontoon and drove around on Lake Estes letting the kids each have a turn at the wheel. Saw the same bald eagle (probably) on the same electrical tower both years.

It wasn't fancy or expensive, yet they still talk about Estes Park and it is still the measuring stick for our vacations.

Drove from Dallas area to Raton, NM and stayed the night on our way up. Have done return trip all
In one day and stayed in Amarillo the other time.
This sounds like my kind of deal. Will be looking into Estes Park and thanks for the VRBO rec.
irish pete ag06
AG
TxAg20 said:

My young family (kids are now 5 and 8) has been going to Telluride (staying in Mountain Village) the last 4 years. They have kids day camps that our kids enjoy and I like to ride mountain bikes. Last year my then 7 year old rode a couple of trails with me. There are also Jeep rentals and public 4x4 trails.

We also spend a couple of days in Durango and/or Ouray.

If you go this route, I can give you lots of suggestions.
I'm looking into this region, I'll get back in touch if we do it.
irish pete ag06
AG
htxag09 said:

Budget?

We've done various summer trips to Colorado (Vail & Breck) and Jackson Hole a few times. Jackson Hole has been our top summer trip, we've liked the fly fishing, white water rafting, etc. more. Colorado seems to have more hiking options within various driving distances (going to Co for a 14er this summer) but plenty of hiking trails in Jackson to keep the family entertained. Plus you can head up to Yellowstone. However, Jackson is more expensive and way more of a haul to get to, either have to make a pretty good drive from Salt Lake or add a layover and fly into Jackson, which again adds money.

Banff is next on our list.
Budget is definitely on the not big spender side.
irish pete ag06
AG
MAROON said:

I've looked into this, and while somewhat cooler... I would really like to get out of the humidity.
irish pete ag06
AG
FarmerJohn said:

Sshhh! The key part of a hidden gem is that it stays hidden!

In all seriousness, wife's family have going for years, I went for the first time back in September. It's a great spot off the beaten path. I wouldn't say there's a ton to do, but there's more than enough to stay entertained.
A friend of mine used to go every year to Red River and that's the only way I've ever known about it. It's definitely on the list.
irish pete ag06
AG
proudaggie02 said:

I have places in Breckenridge and Crested Butte. While I enjoy Breckenridge for proximity to home (Denver) and being a bigger town, I love Crested Butte for outdoor activities in the summer. One thing to consider for a "beat the heat" trip is that the majority of residential buildings in most Colorado mountain towns do not have A/C. I would do homework if you want A/C.
On this note, I'd also like to explore the possibility of purchasing a vacation rental in a mountain town for this very reason. My wife and I both have jobs that follow a school calendar, so a place to go for an extended time in the summer to beat the heat is really appealing if we could also rent it to the skiers in the winter to help cover some of the cost of ownership.

I invest in real estate on the side, so I'm always looking for deals like this of some sort.
Jab
AG
I'm actually headed to Telluride this summer with my wife and 2 kids (6 and 9) for the first time. We're staying in a hotel in Mountain Village and I'd love to hear your suggestions if you wouldn't mind sharing them.
irish pete ag06
AG
Jab said:

I'm actually headed to Telluride this summer with my wife and 2 kids (6 and 9) for the first time. We're staying in a hotel in Mountain Village and I'd love to hear your suggestions if you wouldn't mind sharing them.
Bump for Jab.
Austintm
Jab said:

Stayed in Telluride many times, always in Mountain Village.

Dining: downtown has more/better options. In MV, Tomboy Tavern is a great casual spot. Sit outside and enjoy the views. VIllage Table is pretty good for tapas. Skip, at all costs, Altezza at the Peaks. Black Iron is fine for lunch. If you want one high end meal, go to Allred's and enjoy the views.

Downtown: Brown Dog pizza, especially with kids. Oak is another casual spot right at the gondola station. La Covina de Luz is good, casual New Mexican style Mexican food, though the service is iffy. Smuggler's Brewpub is also pretty good.
Nicer: New Sheridan Chophouse (steak, but good and a cool location in the historic hotel), and Cosmopolitan.

Lots of other good spots, just suggestions.

Other tips: the free gondola will take you from MV, over the mountain to downtown.

The Market in MV is a small-ish grocery but will have what you need if your hotel room is more of a residence (not sure where you are staying). Everything grocery-wise is more expensive in Telluride/MV so get ready for that.

Plenty of places to bike, hike etc, and MV has some activities for kids. If they are up for it, the trip over Black Bear Pass is incredible: http://www.tellurideoffroad.com/

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.