Almost Crashed Plane

9,249 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Line up and wait 18L
Line up and wait 18L
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have not flown the Airbus. I've flown in the jumpseat several times and the cockpit is extremely comfortable, even for the two jumpseaters. The 737 cockpit is small and cramped, its basically a 1950's design. The instrumentation is up to date and is similar to the 777 which is what I fly now. I still prefer the 737, once you're in your seat it's comfortable.

That being said, the Airbus A321 is a total dog as far as performance goes compared to the 737. I haven't flown in an A320 so can't really say. I understand the A319 performs really well. For my money, it's the old saying, if it's not Boeing, I'm not going.
ClickClack
AG
I was wondering if pilots preferred Boeing over Airbus. Guess so! Although the A380 is quite a majestic plane IMO.

Would love to pick your brain sometime. I flew single engines for a little bit and always wanted to be a commercial pilot, though it never came to fruition. Still dream about changing careers sometimes.
bthotugigem05
AG
I'd imagine the disconnected yokes would take a little getting used to in an Airbus versus the connected ones of a Boeing, but I'm sure you get used to it quickly.

I've always heard pilots loved the 757 because it was so absurdly powerful.
Line up and wait 18L
A380 is a cool airplane. It has some serious issues and I don't think it will be around long term as a passenger aircraft. Wing spar cracks are just one of many issues.
Line up and wait 18L
ClickClack said:

I was wondering if pilots preferred Boeing over Airbus. Guess so! Although the A380 is quite a majestic plane IMO.

Would love to pick your brain sometime. I flew single engines for a little bit and always wanted to be a commercial pilot, though it never came to fruition. Still dream about changing careers sometimes.
I know a civil engineer who started taking lessons about 5 yrs ago. He is now flying jets for a regional airline. He will no doubt get a job with a major airline. It can be done. Might not be so easy with the typical adult commitments like kids and mortgage.
evan_aggie
AG
I always wanted to fly ever since I could remember. As a kid in HS I would talk to pilots and they'd tell me the glamour has waned and that it was stressful and tiring.

I graduated HS and went to A&M for computer engineering, but my parents were very supportive and paid for my lessons the next summer. I got it doing the self-study PART 91 or something. I forget but it was 35-40 hours. I remember my first solo out of Stinson south of SA, the controller had me take an unusually long downwind that took me a few miles beyond my turn for base; I was just chugging along at 70-75 kts with my flaps down 10/15...sweating the fact that I had never been held off for so long to turn base. I flew at the A&M club in the 172N or P and rented R models at Bergstrom. Life caught up with me and I just lost the time to keep current and NEVER wanted to push my luck as I felt rusty. Ended up with maybe 150 hours to my name.

Years later I met a SWA pilot on a plane that told me he had just made Captain, and was a CPA up until he was 31 and said to hell with this; he wanted to be a pilot and started small by ferrying props from factories to buyers. Great story to hear from him.
Line up and wait 18L
evan_aggie said:

I always wanted to fly ever since I could remember. As a kid in HS I would talk to pilots and they'd tell me the glamour has waned and that it was stressful and tiring.

I graduated HS and went to A&M for computer engineering, but my parents were very supportive and paid for my lessons the next summer. I got it doing the self-study PART 91 or something. I forget but it was 35-40 hours. I remember my first solo out of Stinson south of SA, the controller had me take an unusually long downwind that took me a few miles beyond my turn for base; I was just chugging along at 70-75 kts with my flaps down 10/15...sweating the fact that I had never been held off for so long to turn base. I flew at the A&M club in the 172N or P and rented R models at Bergstrom. Life caught up with me and I just lost the time to keep current and NEVER wanted to push my luck as I felt rusty. Ended up with maybe 150 hours to my name.

Years later I met a SWA pilot on a plane that told me he had just made Captain, and was a CPA up until he was 31 and said to hell with this; he wanted to be a pilot and started small by ferrying props from factories to buyers. Great story to hear from him.
I've flown with many, many engineers at my company. I have flown with several lawyers, architects, CPA's and we have at least two physicians flying the line, and that is just the ones I know of. You have to have a 4 year degree. They don't care for the most part what the degree is but when hiring gets competitive they like engineering or science.
ClickClack
AG
I'm a 31 yo engineer.
Line up and wait 18L
Perfect

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.