Favorite National Park?

102,665 Views | 629 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Lavender Gooms
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We made another trip to Rocky Mountain NP at the beginning of the month. The first few days were the whole family and then we dropped our kids off at summer camp and the rest of the week was just me and the Mrs.

We hiked Gem Lake, but honestly, it was more of a big puddle.

We saw our first Rocky Mountain moose at Lily Lake just before sunset

We hiked the Toombstone Ridge portion of the Ute Trail

The day we wanted to hike Cub Lake we couldn't get an entrance pass to the Bear Lake coordidor so we started at Upper Beaver Meadows and hiked down to the Cub Lake trailhead.

I solo hiked Mills Lake/Jewel Lake/Black Lake/Frozen Lake/Blue Lake.

I think alpine lakes might be my fetish :0

Then we hiked Nymph Lake/Dream Lake/Emerald Lake, but I've shown pictures from those from a previous trip.

Man, I love RMNP
nosoupforyou
AG
nice - that's a lot of miles! Great pics

you guys didn't go over to Alluvial Fan? Hiking up that waterfall was so cool when I was there last month
mpl35
AG
I can't remember, have you don't Sky Pond yet? That's my favorite alpine lake in RMNP.
AgRyan04
I have....it's a stunning hike - Loch Vale, Lake of Glass, and Sky Pond!

I actually liked Lake of Glass the most of the three.

You really can't go wrong in RMNP
AgRyan04
We haven't yet but it is definitely on the list to do!
Mathguy64
AG
I've been to the south rim several times. The north rim beats it hands down. It's a pain to get to but much nicer.

Mathguy64
AG
Jenny Lake at 10 pm just after dinner at the lodge. Half moon light on an iPhone.

CDub06
AG
Checked Mammoth Cave off the list a few weeks back and counter to the theme of this thread, I've got to say it's been the most disappointing. I understand why it's a NP and the cave system is very impressive and interesting. But visiting it doesn't offer that much in terms of scenery or experience.

It's a different type of cave, but Carlsbad is prettier underground. And Wind Cave has more to see above ground.
CDub06
AG
Rocky Mountain NP is just such a treasure and it's so easy to get to.

Made a quick trip up there before a flight after working in Denver for the week. There had been a rock slide a couple weeks before at Lake Haiyaha, which deposited glacial silt in the lake and transformed the color, so that was the hike of choice for me.

And the river on the approach to the lake:

I thought this would be a temporary sight and the Baja Blast color would fade after a rain or over time. But per a geologist, this color will stick around for 1000 years. There was hardly anyone on this trail, most were heading up to Emerald Lake instead. But I think this will become a much more popular trail due to the insane color of the lake.

*btw there's no filter or post editing on these photos.
AgRyan04
I had read about the rock slide - that actually happened when we were there last month....and saw a video about the color changing, but didn't realize they were connected.

I think you're spot on - if that color stays a while, that t4ail will get a lot more traffic
AgLA06
AG
The river looks cooler than the lake to me.
An Ag in CO
AG
Just got back from our annual trip to the Grand Tetons. I've been having some back issues - 3 herniated discs - so I had to stick in a day of rest between hikes. Still managed some great ones and was able to avoid crowds as we stayed away from the Grampa trails (Cascade Canyon being an example).

Hiked up to Lake of the Crags with my youngest and she was really impressed with both the hike and the scenery at the lake. Some of the best alpine lake scenery available. A fantastic spot to have lunch. Wouldn't want to try bringing meemaw/peepaw/Tommy Tball/Suzy Softball up there. I've never seen anyone younger than 20 head up, but have seen in shape older folk. Did see two bears - one on the way up and another on the way down - eating berries and both were probably no more than 20m away. The 2nd bear was briefly on the trail ahead of me and I did have to wait for a bit until it wandered off to the side. We probably saw about 5 other hikers over the course of 6 hours and that's pretty good considering the trail up starts not too far from where the boat across Jenny Lake docks. This one would probably not be fun if it was raining. Bring plenty of water!

The other big hike was aerial tram => Marion Lake => Death Canyon and also very uncrowded. It's a long hike so time management is important. More likely to see overnight hikers than day hikers and they are great sources of information about wildlife, etc. Lots of wildlife to see and a wonderful appetite builder. You can take Granite Canyon down and make it shorter by several miles if you don't think you can finish before dark. The day we did this hike there were three short-haul rescues needed - all for hikers in their 20s who did more than they could handle - in other parts of the park. Sufficient hydration is really important when hiking 20+ miles. Plenty of water along the hike so bring a filter so you don't have to carry all the water you'll need.

Moose Wilson road closed on weekdays for construction so staying in Teton Village means you need to take either the Valley Trail into and out of the NP or drive the long way around to Moose Junction.
RobertHughes
I've visited only 6, but Yosemite and Yellowstone are my favorite. I've been twice in each, and I think I'll always be happy to visit them
BSD
AG
A 3300 year old bristlecone pine at Great Basin NP. There are hundreds of them. We came last October but got iced out of the higher elevations where they grow so we came back to finish the job…

Pro Sandy
AG
Went the back in 2007.

Crazy how old those trees are. But if my math is right, they were 3300 in 2007, making them 3315 years old when you saw them.

And an odd glacier in Nevada

AgRyan04
On of my big disappointments of our national park quest was getting all the way out there in May....and discovering that the road up to the trailhead was still closed due to snow.

I'm glad you doubled back
BSD
AG
AgRyan04 said:

On of my big disappointments of our national park quest was getting all the way out there in May....and discovering that the road up to the trailhead was still closed due to snow.

I'm glad you doubled back

Yeah, I'm glad too. I had such a good time with my son. We did the Alpine Lakes trail this morning and had it all to ourselves for quite some time. But it was a quick trip, as we are about to drive back to SLC and head back home. It was balls to the the wall but so worth it.

We still have to go back to Wind Cave, as the elevators were shut down and I don't feel complete since we didn't see the caves.
BSD
AG
If anyone ever wants to drive on a dried lake bed, there's an easy spot to do this on the way to Great Basin from SLC. You'll pass Sevier Lake (West of Delta, UT) on Highway 50 and find a dirt road between mile marker 40 and 39 that heads south towards the below pic. Follow that well maintained dirt road for 5-8 minutes and you'll see a turnout to the flat lake bed. Then make rocket noises as you get your rental Tacoma up to 110.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG
There is no other car that is more fun to drive than a rental Tacoma.
RangerRick9211
AG
Do National Forest count?

I had some certs to burn and we ventured north from Portland.

Baker National (Lake 22):

Lugged this thing 7 miles and 2k vert on my back. It's a serious scramble with the recent rock slide:

Rainier:

This weekend in Hood National which is every weekend at this point:

barnacle bob
AG
Saguaro National Park.
Very accessible, some higher elevation ridge hikes that delivered, great food, fun town, already planning a return trip.

Head Ninja In Charge
AG

Finally hit up Carlsbad Caverns this weekend and man, did I sleep on this place. One of the coolest experiences walking down. Seriously underestimated how large it was.
BSD
AG
I love it there. Can't wait to get back. My son got to be an "honorary ranger" and help lead a tour. He thought it was the coolest thing ever.

I also need to hike up Guadalupe while I'm there.
mpl35
AG
Yeah that walk down into Carlsbad is awesome. My wife hates caves and was loving that part. Well right up until I pointed out the football field sized piece of rock and where it used to be in the ceiling…..
Apache
AG
Looks like my pic!
mpl35
AG
I've done Saguaro but I will probably hit it again in a month or two. What hikes were your favorites?
barnacle bob
AG
mpl35 said:

I've done Saguaro but I will probably hit it again in a month or two. What hikes were your favorites?

I really enjoyed the Hugh Norris in the west park. It's along a ridge line and once you get to elevation it's a nice cruiser with good views. I accessed via Sendero Esperanza, which bwas a nice mix of dense cacti low land, switch backs, and higher elevation… would recommend.

On my return I'll likely do the Hugh Norris from start to peak for a bigger day.

For the east side really didn't have enough time for anything more than drive the loop and a quick paved trail.

BSD
AG

I just realized that I forgot to add some Acadia pics from our October trip. This was park #54 for us.

AgRyan04
Acadia is one of our favorites!

Great hiking out there!

(and I just realized I haven't posted any pictures from our Acadia trip last fall or my two trips to Big Bend from December)
TellMeMore
Conor Knighton, CBS News correspondent and author of Leave Only Footprints is coming to town to talk about our National Parks

https://www.kbtx.com/2023/02/11/arts-council-hosts-stories-gallery-with-conor-knighton/
AgRyan04
We have that on audiobook....need to pull it back up I don't think we finished it on our last roadtrip
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The past week. First time at Bryce Canyon and millionth time at Big Bend.

Loved Bryce and was pleasantly surprised by how relatively compact it was. We only had a day there, so it worked out great.

Camped down at Chisos Basin for Big Bend and the moon was full, so couldn't make out the stars that well but still absolutely gorgeous.
nosoupforyou
AG
Big Bend over Spring break

Loved Emory Peak.. strong recommend

Hot Springs were cool

Sunset at Sotol Vista was perfect

Santa Elena Canyon - we did the 2 day, 1 night tent camp tour and loved it

BSD
AG
A river trip thru Santa Elena is my next trip to Big Bend. Not sure when it'll be but that'll be the mission!
AgRyan04
I'm still way behind on pictures from the fall and spring (Acadia, Death Valley, Arches/Canyonlands and three trips to BBNP)....but....we rafted and camped the lower 100 miles of the Grand Canyon last week and it was pretty awesome.

Not sure I've ever been so hot/cold/happy/miserable/filthy all at the same time, but totally worth it.

Three of the four of us enjoyed it enough to want to go back and do the 6 day trip through the first ~200 miles

Still working on the videos.

Funny story - they told us no jewelry so I left my wedding ring and my Aggie ring at home. The only place I got sunburnt was the teeny tiny patch of skin that literally hadn't seen daylight in 20+ years under my Aggie ring.

We've got a Blackhills trip planned for the week of July 4 coming up next....we'll hit Windcave, Teddy Roosevelt, Yellowstone National Parks along with Little Bighorn Natuonal Monument, Custer State Park, Jewel Cave, Mount Rushmore, Devil's Tower and a couple other attractions. My wife and son have been to the area before but Yellowstone will be my only return stop on this trip.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.