Going to Excellence Playa Mujeres next month

39,277 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JaceAG12
ORAggieFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Booked for June 30 - July 6 in two story rooftop suite. Can't frigging wait.
KVB07
AG
Dang, my wife and I are leaving the day before. We will be ther June 23-29.
ORAggieFan
Sweet, you can give me the rundown of what I need to know

Too bad we're just missing each other.
CrownNSprite
AG
Also June 30-July 6th, but we're giving Secrets Maroma Beach a try this time. Have fun all!
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wife and I booked this AM at excellence in late August. Can't wait!
chipotle
At valentin imperial maya right now. So far so good.
WorthAg95
AG
Booked EPM for first week of July.
ORAggieFan
Holy crap, I could meet Worth?
Bigballin
AG
Our experience was great until the second to last day had a fatty biatch take off her top with nibple piercings. For as much as I paid, swim up room, excellence club, etc. I thought I was going to be isolated from the trash.
Hincemm
AG
Rule #1?
mattvswild
AG
Okay, you all almost have me convinced to do this... But I've got a potentially stupid question. What does one do at an all-inclusive? Sadly, I think I can only drink / eat so much before getting a bit stir crazy. Are there things to do / see outside the resort? Is there enough to do in / around the place to keep you from going stir crazy? Honestly never been to an all-inclusive, so I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by mattvswild (edited 5/14/2013 5:11p).]
LOAD2000
AG
Matt...

Seriously - If you are looking at one of these places, you are going to mainly be lounging. Laid back relaxation with all the booze & food that you want. Now, they do have limited activities around the resort, but it is a lot more laid back than the bigger resort chains.

They also offer all of the regional Mexican tours (pyramids, zip-lining, Cancun, etc.) at the resort for an additional fee. Most of these take at least a half day to a full day depending on the trip. If you are wanting more activity, I would just schedule a few of these trips once you get to the resort.
chipotle
Sadly all some folks do over there is eat, sleep and drink. At the hotel we stayed at there was a show put on every evening (singing, dance, elvis, michael jackson, fireshow, etc.). Most of the shows at these resorts are all the same.

You break up your stay by doing some excursions to see some local attractions. For example on our trip we took a cab to Playa del carmen to do some shopping and drinking. Another day we went and saw some Mayan ruins. After these trips you welcome laying around the beach or pool and doing nothing.

On the beach there are bunch of vehicles for rent (some are free to use if by the resort and unmotorized).

But really the best thing to do is go with other couples and just go ape s*** or learn to mingle with other couples there. Otherwise you'll be that boring couple that just keeps to themselves and hardly says a thing to one another during the dinner services. You'll see lots of those.

Some people we met stayed at the resort for 10-14 days. Hell with that. I think a week tops is enough.
LOAD2000
AG
And, as BigBallin so eloquently stated...

The Excellence resorts have no official policy forbidding topless sunbathing. Unfortunately, it is usually the larger, pasty, European ladies that are quick to remove their bathing suits.

Nothing that an extra beverage or two can't fix!
gigemaggies88
booked 9/29-10-6 Aggies bye week...We went a month ago and did the xel ha, that was a really nice day.
Aggiemundo
AG
Wife and I did EPM three years ago and absolutely loved it. We're booked for EPC in the Dominican July 16-23. Anyone been to that one and have any recommendations of what you really enjoyed?
apoglo12
AG
Going for our honeymoon June 17-23, we've heard nothing but amazing things are really excited.
SWC02
AG
We are going mid-July.

Any experiences with the spa packages? Any recommendations?
Hincemm
AG
Hydrotherapy is great alone IMO
KVB07
AG
Bump for the upcoming TexAgs folks going in the next feew weeks. 6 Days for me!!!
ORAggieFan
quote:
Bump for the upcoming TexAgs folks going in the next feew weeks. 6 Days for me!!!

Have fun, think we'll just miss you. Check-in on the 30th and can't wait.
apoglo12
AG
Here right now! Place is legit! Found a great drink, go to the Sol pool bar and ask for "Marco's special" from the bartender Marco.
SWC02
AG
Trip report???

We are headin there in July, very excited.
ORAggieFan
quote:
We are headin there in July, very excited.

What part of the month?
SWC02
AG
Mid July!
ORAggieFan
Arrive Sunday, can't wait!
nomadic_ag
AG
I'll be at Isla from the 7th to the 11th of July. The hostel there, Pocna, is my favorite hostel I've ever stayed at. You can take a tent and camp for $7 a night on sand. I'm a poor...

Hope to see some Ags out on the town or at the beach.
HoustonDutchman
AG
Here now, Excellence Club Oceanfront. Loving every minute of it. Here until Sunday.

[This message has been edited by Houstondutchman (edited 7/4/2013 3:30p).]
agzonfine
AG
Just got back from Now Sapphire! Great hotel & food, my wife and I had a blast. We went into Mujares for a day and did snorkeling and some shopping
SWC02
AG
How about a trip report??? We are leaving Monday !
Tabasco
AG
Here is a previous thread about it that my have more info. I posted some pics on page two.

http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2066482&page=1&forum_id=54

culdeus
AG
Going for 2nd time Aug 8-14. Last time got a really slick deal on a rooftop, this time just doing a normal room. Would never consider paying the extra for the Club. No value at all. We are going an extra day rather than blowing the money on the club. Club side does have more topless though fwiw.

Just FYI you can save a crap ton of money shopping rates with travel agents. I basically just bid out the trip and can save over 100/night and get transfers free over just booking straight off the website or on costco who does do a good discount on EPM normally.
culdeus
AG
Pro Tips

Restaurant recs

Mexican place in back - Pro Tip2: They have the really good tequila back there. You can get the good stuff without even being there for dinner.

Lobster place - Food there can be hit or miss. Just order the lobster as an app and if it's fail then get something else.

French restaurant was just so-so. Wouldn't do again.

Japan place is ok, didn't do the teppanaki experience. That tends to be meh anywhere.

Heard really good things about indian place. I prefer that for lunch so we passed on it last time. Might do it this time in lieu of japan/france place.

The tapas place is good late night and actually gets a crowd in there late night. Or do it before dinner. You can do two dinner spots in a night no issue.

Best booze is in the lobby bar. Only thing that ever got us a little queasy was a "drunk monkey" or something at the beach that we were talked into by a neighbor. it was pretty gross.

Beer choices are actually pretty varied for a mex place. And don't be shy about calling your drinks exactly how you want it. They will do it, or else they will go rail and syrup.
Chip Douglas
culdeus, can you recommend the travel agent you used? My fiance and I are thinking about going to EPM for our honeymooon in December.
SWC02
AG
We used Chis Dehner with ModernVacations.com

He set up flights, transer to/from the airport, and spa. It appeared to be a very competitive and resonable prices

chris at modernvacations dot com

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.