Going to Excellence Playa Mujeres next month

39,161 Views | 125 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by JaceAG12
fourthgenag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Great excite.

Does anybody recommend any excursions? Or should I stay in the resort since "Mexico is scary"?
CrownNSprite
AG
Plan your own trip to Isla. Cab to the ferry, then rent a golf cart when you get over there. Then proceed to Buhos Beach Bar on Playa Norte and enjoy the beach, the bar and the really nice water. Then proceed to the opposite side of the island to a bar called Villa La Bella. Fresh pina coladas and "beer so cold it'll make your teeth hurt".
fourthgenag09
AG
Should we head to the island in the morning? I'm guessing you could make a day out of it.
CrownNSprite
AG
I've done this exact "excursion" twice and both times i think we left Excellence around 9, so by the time you get your cart rented over on the island, it'll probably be close to lunch time. And by the time you hang for a while at Buhos then make the drive over to Villa la Bella, you'll use most of the afternoon. Then back in time for dinner at EPM. Playa norte is popular because it has a sand bar about 100 yards off the beach that attracts alot of nice yachts that are looking for a place to get their clients some swimming time. It's like a scene out of a movie.
txag2008
AG
We booked a trip to the island of Isla Mujeres that included a catamaran ride to the island, snorkeling on the boat ride there, lunch on the island with a few hrs to do what we wanted (we rented a golf cart for $20 and cruised the island), and on the boat ride back we even got to do a form of parasailing. It was tough to leave the resort knowing that you had already paid for it, but I would recommend a trip to the island like this. (did I mention there was unlimited alcohol included??).

We didn't book this until we were at the resort (booked through some company with the bright orange shirts underneath the stairs in the main lobby). I don't exactly remember when we left or when we got back to EPM. The booking included van transportation to the catamaran launching and back to the resort. I wish I remember the cost....maybe $60 or $80/person??

[This message has been edited by txag2008 (edited 4/9/2013 4:31p).]
drumboy
AG
I was at that hotel last month. Really nice.

Get the poolside pizza and find the dirty channels on the the tv.
Reel Aggies
AG
^^ 49 and 50.....
fourthgenag09
ORAggieFan
quote:
Get the poolside pizza and find the dirty channels on the the tv.

I'd prefer finding a chick and those channels, but if a pizza's all you got.....

Anyone have room recs? Thinking the one with the private rooftop balcony.
Reel Aggies
AG
^^ pretty much all couples there, not really a meat market. May be a handful of singles or maybe you are in to picking up a couple ;-) I would think pickings pretty slim.
txag2008
AG
quote:
Anyone have room recs? Thinking the one with the private rooftop balcony.

If you want something special I'd definitely recommend the 2-story Rooftop Terrace. We did it for our honeymoon. If/when we go back I'd probably just get the swim-up room.

view from our rooftop

[This message has been edited by txag2008 (edited 4/11/2013 4:53p).]
ORAggieFan
Awesome. How deep is that shower/pool thingy on the rooftop?
txag2008
AG
Like a deeper hot tub. ~3ft with built in sides to sit
KVB07
AG
EPM is awesome, I'm a huge fan. There is a ton to do at the resort, but my wife and I did go to the Island. I want to say we left the resort at about 7am, and were back in time for dinner. We did the catamaran ride like another poster above mentioned. It was fun and the crew on the boat was awesome, but some of the people on our boat were pretty obnoxious. One guy yelled at his wife for turning his I-phone off airplane mode and was complaining he was going to have to pay for the charges. So, we got to hear about that the entire way over to the Island and most of the way back. That was pretty obnoxious.

At the Island we did not rent a golf cart (but would if we went back) and the owner of a jewelry store gave me some of the best liquor I have ever had, granted he was trying to get me to buy my wife a $800 necklace. It was interesting, but neither my wife nor I are into those nick-knack things so we didn’t buy anything over there.
If you are into fishing, my Travel Agent found a highly rated all day fly fishing trip out of Cancun to Isla Blanca. They will pick you up at the hotel and provided food and drink all day. If you are interested I will find the email and post the link.
At the resort make sure you get the monkey drink (I don’t remember what day it is on), and every evening there is a show. Sometimes the shows are corny but are entertaining none the less. Also there is a good cigar bar, and you can sign up for a “cigar tasting”. The cigar tasting is like $15, and you get a whole history of the cigar industry, a free Cuban, liquor and some chocolate. It was an entertaining hour or so.
The best part is all the food and drink is already paid for so you can try drinks you normally wouldn’t drink and if you don’t like it, give it back and ask for another.

The wife and I are going back in June, so we are pumped.
Ogre09
AG
We did the Chichin Itza tour. Seeing the pyramids and swimming in the cenote were cool. The food was pretty ****ty compared to the resort food. Worth doing once.
Agdiesel
AG
Thinking about taking my wife for our 5 year anniversary. Want to stay in the roof top terrace suite.

Is the executive club worth it? Price is about 70/pp more a day.
CrownNSprite
AG
I stayed once with it and once without. For me, it wasn't a signficant difference. Slightly better room location, a nice private bar that always has pretty good appetizers, and Crown in your room. It's nice, but not $500-$1000 nice.
Tabasco
AG
I recommend the rooftop terrace room. Definitely worth it. Pool skinny dip and sex on the balcony beach bed (wait until after midnight)
Ogre09
AG
Private beach and beach service that comes with Excellence Club was worth it, imho.
Bevel Hugger
Need to get back down there sometime. Love the color of the water there.
IntercooledAggie
I would recommend going Excellence Club if you spend any time at the beach. Private service, beds, and cabanas were well worth it. We also used the private lounge quite a bit for appetizers and top shelf liquor drinks.

We also had the rooftop terrace room with private pool. Was great, but we would have been fine in a swim up room.
Hincemm
AG
i'll be the nay sayer and tell you that non-EC is fine. can't go wrong though
ORAggieFan
What's the difference in alcohol between club and non-club? What's the best bourbon I could get with or without (or other liquor if you recall easier)?
Aries
quote:
We also had the rooftop terrace room with private pool

This is the room we booked for the DR in November. How was the pool where you stayed?
jg07
AG
quote:
This is the room we booked for the DR in November. How was the pool where you stayed?

It was more of a novelty for us. My wife didn't get in it once. I got in a few times because I paid for it. It was cold, and pretty refreshing but nothing spectacular. The rooftop was nice to hangout on at night and was the only real place we could pick up wifi. You don't feel as cooped up in your room (Not a problem if you're hardly in it).

When we go back we'll go with a swim-up room for one of the excellence pools. To us the excellence part was worth it for the private pools and beach. Not necessary for all, but worth it for us. You still had to get up early and reserve a spot, but it was very quiet and calm if you're into that sort of thing on vacation. Also great service.
Aries
Quiet & calm is what we are looking for...with lots of booze too. I plan on using the pool often.
jamesf
AG
They gave us a free upgrade to a rooftop terrace room, so it doesn't hurt to ask for that when you get there. I guess it depends on how full they are. As far as drinks go, we liked the icebergs (half margarita, half beer).
jg07
AG
quote:
icebergs (half margarita, half beer)
Once I found these it was all over. The poolside waiters knew to bring me a new one every time I was almost finished with my previous one.

quote:
Quiet & calm is what we are looking for...with lots of booze too. I plan on using the pool often.
Then you'll have a great time.

This thread makes me want to go back.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
quote:
^^ 49 and 50.....

YES!!!!! http://texags.com/images/forum/icon14.gif
Bevel Hugger
I need to check this place out.
awschux
AG
Got married at the La Amada (now Beloved Hotel) Playa Mujeres. Love that place, we go back for our honeymoon each year now.

Used to leave the resort for Cancun or XPLOR, but now we just stay at the resort and drink Piña Coladas and Paciicos all day. Really great place!

[This message has been edited by awschux (edited 4/24/2013 11:12p).]
awschux
AG

[This message has been edited by awschux (edited 4/24/2013 11:10p).]
awschux
AG
Sorry. Posting from ipad and accidentally got multiples.

[This message has been edited by awschux (edited 4/24/2013 11:12p).]
awschux
AG

[This message has been edited by awschux (edited 4/24/2013 11:11p).]
awschux
AG

[This message has been edited by awschux (edited 4/24/2013 11:11p).]
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.