Breckenridge - How is it?

8,986 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by BQ2001
baggs24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sooner,

I went ahead and booked for President's weekend. I know it will be packed but it fit in my schedule. Question, if we were to rent a car to drive over from Denver, would a normal sedan do the trick, or would we need an SUV with all wheel drive?

Thanks!
nnichols
You should be fine with a 2 sedan. People drive it all the time here in 2wd w no problem. I like all wheel, but thats a personal pref. If the prices are the same Id get an all wheel. If its going to run you extra, dont worry about the "upgrade". That doesnt include the wife factor. If you get the all wheel you wont have to worry about the potential earache.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 1/26/2010 7:59a).]
baggs24
AG
Haha, thanks for the advice. It's just me and the brother, but if it was the girlfriend it would probably have to be AWD.
Sooner Born
The only time I've ever seen 4wd be absolutely necessary was to pull into my friend's house just outside Silverthorne. If you didn't AWD or 4wd, you weren't going to make it up the driveway in the winter.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Remember to head back to Denver Airport with plenty of time factored into the traffic on I-70 and the traffic at the airport security lines
ChipFTAC01
AG
The Denver security lines always give me nightmares. I used to do daytrips to Denver for work and my schedule would always be tight. Leave me sweating bullets as some fat moose in front of me fumbles with their driver's license.

That is except for the one time that I got there early. A couple of years ago I was flying home a couple of days after Christmas. I woke up that morning to about a foot of snow and it was still falling heavily. I decided to leave my sister's house in Parker even earlier figuring for bad roads and it was a prime day for people to be flying home after Christmas (a couple of days after, end of the weekend, stuff like that).

470 ended up being completely clear and we breezed up there, there was no one in front of me at the ticket counter and there were a grand total of 3 people in the massive DIA security queue with all of the screening points open. I was checked in, through security and waiting on the train before my sister was off the airport property from dropping me off.

Then my plane was delayed and I ended up sitting in the airport for 4 hours.
nnichols
DEN is a nightmare. EGE is only a nightmare on Saturday's. I always get to Denver at least 2 hours early.
ColoradoMooseHerd
who you calling a fat moose?
nnichols
Got another 3-4 inches last night. Just checked the weekly snow reports and I think Vail made a little boo boo. Seems that they have gotten 28in this week while we have gotten 14. Ill have to check today, but my guess is one day this week someone multiplied instead of added the 2 measures for the daily report. Funny how they could get ~30 inches and have their base only move by 2-4 inches (sarcasm). Taking out the Dynastar Legend Big Dump today. Looks like an ideal day. For those asking about discounted tickets, ive been doing some thinking and IMO the best option is probably buying a Colorado Pass or the likes depending upon what mountain you ski and when you ski it. They come with 6 full day passes at the half day price. So you spend 459 to save 100-200 dollars depending upon when your skiing. Thus, when you factor in the ski w a buddy pass savings (assuming you use them all) each pass is equiv to the price of skiing ~3-4 and a quarter full priced days.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 1/27/2010 7:57a).]
bthotugigem05
AG
So Breck's looking better then? I'll be there next Thursday.
Sooner Born
nichols - you can't buy the Colorado Pass new anymore this season. Renewals only.
nnichols
I was talking in the hypothetical a la next year. Just trying to plant the seed early. Thus if they can squeeze in an early and a late visit, they can really get good value out of the pass. Plus I think that helps with your peaks points towards earing other passes. I have no idea how that whoel thing works though so dont take my word for that at all.
Sooner Born
Ah. I thought you were talking about this year. Your plan is a good one. The one thing to note is you have to purchase the Colorado Pass in person for the first time...so their trip would have to be probably pre-Christmas. Really, it's the only "discount" Vail & Associates really offers.
Pahdz
okay...so explain the Colorado pass to me a little more. We ski Summitt Co. once a year and hopefully this year and from here on out one or two more trips elsewhere in Colorado. So next year, if I buy one pass for myself, how many buddy passes come with it? Is it a good idea for my wife and I?
Sooner Born
The colorado pass is a season pass for use by Colorado residents or those in town when the pass is being sold. It was $459 this year.

It includes:
- Unlimited skiing at Keystone, Breckenrdige & A-Basin
- 10 days at Vail or Beaver Creek (blackout days of Thanksgiving Weekend, Christmas to New Years and Presidents weekend)
- 6 ski with a friend passes ($65/day at Vail/BC, $55 Keystone/Breck)

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 1/28/2010 6:03p).]
nnichols
If you buy the Summit pass you get unlimited access to keystone, breck, and a-basin. If you get the colorado pass, you get the summit pass with 10 days of vail/BC w/certain dates blacked out. Usually the blacked out days are around xmas/ny/and presidents day. I know that sucks, but if you dont go those specific weekends your safe and if you do go those weekends, stay at breck. The summit is 399 the colorado is 459. Both come with 6 ski with a friend passes. A ski with a friend pass gets you your pass for a discounted rate. During the peak days its usually about a $15 savings (97-82), during the non peak days, the savings are more. Thus factoring only peak days, a Summit pass saves you $90. Thus if yo uand a friend go up twice and ski 3 days each time, you will save $90 from the six discounted passes and ski for 66.5 (399/6). Therefore you will save a total of $273 for a total expense of 891 vs 1164. It saves you ~25% assuming you use all of the buddy passes. Sooner, I believe the Ski with a buddy are priced at the half day ticket rate. Therefore during non peak days the passes are ~62-65, during the peak season they are 82. Im 90% sure on that but i will check.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 1/28/2010 6:16p).]
baggs24
AG
And the trip countdown begins...

Flight and rental car booked.
Any local advice on cheap lift tickets and ski rentals?

Thanks
BQ2001
AG
Headed up that way at the end of Feb myself. Been way too long.
CrownNSprite
AG
I'll be at Copper Feb 21-26. Hoping for more snow.
nnichols
Suppose to stay cloudy here through Monday. You should be fine in later Feb barring a warm snap next week or the following.
proudaggie02
AG
nnichols,

I have friends coming in this weekend, and we are staying in Breck on Saturday. We will either ski at Breck both days, or head to Vail/Beaver Creek for one of the days. Any recommendations? Is the snow much better in Vail/BC right now?
nnichols
The snow is currently good at both places. I like skiing Vail and BC thus would probably decide to capitalize on the ~1 drive to Vail/BC. The variety of terrian is why I would do it. If you go to BC, you should hit up Larkspur and BOP early, then move to Arrowhead and BG for the lunch/early afternoon, and then Cent/Strawberry park (roughlock) till 4. That will give you the best groom and sunlight combo mixed with lift time maximization.
proudaggie02
AG
Thanks for the input. Looking forward to skiing three days in a row, as we are hitting up A-Basin for a few hours tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by proudaggie02 (edited 2/4/2010 3:48p).]
ccard257
AG
Thinking about hitting BC for the first time on sunday. Any recs on what to ski? Looking for some combo of steep and/or trees. Don't want to ski groomers or bumps but prefer bumps to groomers if it comes to that. I don't mind hiking if need be.

Thanks
nnichols
Golden Eagle is a fun run as is Willys Face/Cent. If you want steep and bumpy, you need to go up grouse mountain. I dont know what you consider bumps and what you consider super bumps, but Golden Eagle is a sweet run and the moguls on Grouse are killer right now. The larkspur lift has some good variety off to both sides (yarrow). Its groomed down the center and left ungroomed on both side faces. Its a fun bowl. Thresher glade and presidents fords are nice too. I like hitting the trees in BG. The offer good terrain but are speced enough to be manuverable. I wouldnt be able to rec tree runs without a map or in person.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 2/4/2010 4:56p).]
AgBlitz
AG
I've been following this thread for a few weeks and will be flying into Denver on the morning of 2/25 for 2 1/2 days of boarding. I'm considering staying at a budget hotel somewhere between Vail/BC and Keystone (Leadville, Frisco, Dillon). Restaurants, shopping, etc. really aren't a big deal as I'm just going with my brother to enjoy a few days on the slopes.

After reading about the potentially icy conditions at Breck, we may be visiting Keystone the day we arrive for some afternoon/early evening boarding to get our legs back then venture out to Copper (mid way point) and Vail or BC on days 2 and 3.

Any thoughts on the boarding terrain at Copper and Keystone (I read in an earlier post that Keystone hadn't gotten much snow as of early Jan and I know next to nothing about Copper other than their trail map and online snow reports)? I enjoy boarding blues with nice powder, bowls and wider tree runs (not expert level so generally stay away from narrow tree runs, MJ sized moguls and steeps).

Also, is Leadville too far south of I70 (listed at approx 33 miles from Vail online)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you folks can provide.
eiggA2002
AG
I really enjoy Breckenridge. Keystone is a letdown and I would avoid it. I've just never been a fan. When you buy your lift tickets you will get at least one day at Vail and I HIGHLY recommend making the drive out there to take advantage.

As far as restaurants/bars I'd recommend Downstairs at Eric's and the Gold Pan. There is an Italian restaurant just off of Main Street (I forget the name, but I think it is Michael's) and it is great! There is a steak place on Main Street as well that is very good. If you walk up and down Main Street you will find a lot of great places to eat.
CrownNSprite
AG
Going there on Sunday...can't wait! I'll be I70 westbound on Sunday afternoon, in the left lane, cruising at a safe 54 mph. Holla!!!
proudaggie02
AG
^
Look for the buffalo around Genessee Park & the bighorn sheep about a mile before Georgetown (on the right & across from the lake).
nnichols
I saw a state trooper pulling over a driver for impeding traffic by slowing the left lane outside Id Springs last night. It gave me a good chuckle. Drive safe and wear a helmet.
Sooner Born
quote:
Drive safe and wear a helmet.

But not at the same time.
proudaggie02
AG
^
No doubt on the helmet. Just started wearing one in January, and it saved me a concussion two weekends ago. I took on too big of a jump at A-Basin & my buddy said my skis were 4 feet off the ground before landing squarely on my back.
nnichols
Ive actually driven without taking mine off (it was an emergency call that required us to get off the mountain quickly). It took one of the Summit er workers to inform me I was still wearing it. At that point I figured why take it off and potentially lose it so I kept it on the entire trip. Plus it was still streaming audio. Good times.
Sooner Born
I've worn my goggles when I forgot my sunglasses.
fido00
AG
I'll be in Breck with a good group of Ags starting on 3/3.

I am pumped about getting to go skiing for the first time in a couple of years. I don't care what you guys say about Breck, we have a great time there, and the town/bars/restaurants has a lot to do with it.

Hopefully some of ya'll will be around.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.