Breckenridge - How is it?

8,991 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by BQ2001
nnichols
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The trip out to Vail/BC is well well worth it right now. Much much better snowfall. BC has gotten 140+ inches to breck 110 and keystones ~90. The base might not be as thick, but the pack is alot better for skiing and boarding.
WaynerAg03
Headed to Vail for the weekend. Will post my observations. However, I'm a rookie and may not be able to give as good of descriptions as most may want.
bthotugigem05
AG
Our condo is at Breck, we're thinking of Keystone and Vail the whole time.
Sooner Born
Keystone has the least amount of snow.
bthotugigem05
AG
Yeah, but what snow is there isn't blown away by the wind every afternoon.
nnichols
If your talking about Breck not having the wind blow half the cover off the face, im ROFL.
Sooner Born
Nichols, he's saying the snow at Keystone isn't blown away by the afternoon.

Normally I'd agree but unless they get some big time snow at Keystone this week, they are so far behind you can't really leave the runs without manmade snow on them. You'd be slaloming the trees.
nnichols
Agreed. Again, come visit me!
proudaggie02
AG
nnichols,

Any idea on whether: (a) most mountains have a clinic that perfroms X-rays; and (b) how much they typically charge? I need to get my arm looked at from a fall 3 weeks ago, and I am without insurance for another week or so.
nnichols
Your best bet is going to an urgent care/day clinic. I know avon has 2 that we rec for accidents outside of the summit er.
ccard257
AG
quote:
Any idea on whether: (a) most mountains have a clinic that perfroms X-rays; and (b) how much they typically charge? I need to get my arm looked at from a fall 3 weeks ago, and I am without insurance for another week or so.

hell it's already been 3 weeks why not wait another?
ccard257
AG
nnichols - I'm thinking of heading to BC on sunday. you gonna be around?
proudaggie02
AG
The "another week or so" was pretty generous.... might be longer. I'm a contractor and my wife is in the process of changing jobs, so health insurance is tricky for the time being.

I think I fractured my arm, but as the swelling and bruising went away.... I noticed that my bone felt weird (weak, unstable). Thought I would just tough it out, but I would feel better getting it looked at. I guess I will ski conservatively this weekend & try to get it looked at next week.
ColoradoMooseHerd
If you can wait for wife's insurance, than you don't have to worry about it being a pre-existing condition. Which some insurance companies will not cover.
ColoradoMooseHerd
What kind of Contractor?
proudaggie02
AG
Landman (Oil/Gas)
nnichols
Ill be around all week and weekend.
bthotugigem05
AG
mnichols, where are you at? I'm going to be skiing in Breck/Keystone/Vail Feb 4-6
proudaggie02
AG
nnichols,

Any suggestions on where to get a good burger or pizza in Vail?

I am planning on skiing from 9-11 Saturday, watching the Ags vs. CU basketball game while enjoying a burger or pizza, then skiing for another couple hours after the game.
Pahdz
Vendetta's in Vail has awesome pizza
nnichols
Bachelors Gulch and dont be suprised if you have to ask to get the CU game on the TV. CU fans are weak and there isnt alot of CU loyalty in the Vail Valley. Garfinkle's has a burger and bar feel to it. Tap Room in the village is nice as wel as the red lion.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 1/21/2010 6:45p).]
WaynerAg03
had a pizza at Pazzos last time I was in Vail. It was good.
baggs24
AG
Planning on taking a trip to Breckenridge in mid February. Flying from Dallas to Denver on 2/12 and returning on 2/16. Any suggestions on finding the cheapest airfare?
Sooner Born
Baggs - you're coming over Presidents weekend. FYI - that's one of the busiest weekends of the year.
nnichols
On those days I stay on BG and Arrowhead (more on the glades in BG). It never really gets very busy which is nice. You should think about that Sooner. (We got a decent dusting last night, maybe 3/4-1.5).
ColoradoMooseHerd
BIG FAN OF THE TAP ROOM
ccard257
AG
speak up, moose we can't hear you.

Just got back from a quick trip to berthoud with walker. First time in a long time that there was actual fluffy white stuff falling from the sky while I was skiing. nichols, you guys expeting any more tonight/tomorrow?
Sooner Born
I don't think he's expeting anything.
ccard257
AG
thanks, mom. You ever get some new skis?
Sooner Born
Nope. New boots but was holding off on the skis for cash flow reasons...now glad I didn't buy any. Would still be skiing on old ones. Probably wait until Spring when everything goes on sale.
nnichols
We have gotten about 8 inches the last 2 days. Looking cloudy and the west looks even cloudier. Wouldnt be surprised to get another 5-6 inches through the weekend. Whoop!
ccard257
AG
good move. I've only got about about 5 days on the new guys but the bases look like it's closer to 50.
ccard257
AG
quote:
We have gotten about 8 inches the last 2 days. Looking cloudy and the west looks even cloudier. Wouldnt be surprised to get another 5-6 inches through the weekend. Whoop!

Whoop! indeed. I'll let you know if I end up heading out that way.
Waterski02
AG
Mmmm Tap Room, headed there tonight. I'll second Vendettas for pizza and ya can't go wrong with Garfs.
Nichols I bet we know a lot of the same people work with a fair amount of BCpatrol in the summer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
nnichols, that's as great looking house you have. I skiied BC the first time a couple of years ago. A buddy of mine was an instructor up there for about 6 years so we took our guys' trip up there to go see him. Great mountain and it was nice having him as a guide (such as the nice info that Birds of Prey is groomed on Thursday nights and is great for a few early runs).

The last afternoon we finally wandered over to Bachelor Gulch and had a great afternoon bombing down empty runs and doing lap after lap as fast as we could. Those houses over there are incredible (yours included). Definitely on my "if I win the lottery" purchase list.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.