Breckenridge - How is it?

8,989 Views | 160 Replies | Last: 14 yr ago by BQ2001
Sooner Born
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went to Keystone yesterday afternoon. Considering all things, it was OK. Any run that had snowmaking capabilities was skiiable (icy at times) but you could practically hike everything else.

[This message has been edited by Sooner Born (edited 1/14/2010 12:36p).]
10andBOUNCE
AG
Wolf Creek is absolutely the best value and skiing I have experienced - Colorado or New Mexico. I think one day during spring break a few years ago our group had one mountain to ourselves - it was desolate! I'll be heading to Breck 1st week in March because my buddy has a free stay at a ski-in/ski-out resort. I like Breck when it isn't spring break.

I'd probably put Keystone after Wolf Creek in my rankings. But I haven't made it to Vail yet. Maybe we will make the drive over one day.
Sooner Born
IMO Keystone would probably be about 10th on the list of CO mountains. It's location is probably the best thing about it.
CrownNSprite
AG
quote:
Just make sure to mention that youre from the great state of TEXAS and they will all smile and open their homes to you!

What's the deal with the whole Texas hate thing? Do Texans consistantly act like jackasses while in CO or what? I don't think Texans have any problem with folks from CO visiting here. Whats with the hate?
strohag
AG
Any helmet recs nnichols? I've skied a few times but not with a helmet. Mostly skied at Keystone and this is my first trip to Breck (I didn't plan the trip). I'm careful skiing but I don't want some jackarse to run into me. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by strohag (edited 1/14/2010 3:09p).]
Sooner Born
quote:
What's the deal with the whole Texas hate thing? Do Texans consistantly act like jackasses while in CO or what? I don't think Texans have any problem with folks from CO visiting here. Whats with the hate?

I'd say it stems from the obnoxious Texan stereotype. Obviously most aren't like that but this isn't necessarily a Colorado thing. There is Texan hate a lot of places. Maybe it's jealousy?

quote:
Any helmet recs nnichols? I've skied a few times but not with a helmet. Mostly skied at Keystone and this is my first trip to Breck (I didn't plan the trip). I'm careful skiing but I don't want some jackarse to run into me. Thanks!

Obviously I'm not nichols (m or n) but the important thing in a helmet is the fit. I see all kinds and brands out on the mountain and the manufacturers must pass safety requirements. So brand, in my opinion, is not as important as how it fits and will you wear it. That said, Giro seems to be most popular on the slopes. I see a lot of Boeri too.
nnichols
Giro helmets are my rec. They fit most goggles and are well priced. As a Texan in Colorado, I can say that while I originally couldn't believe the hate, as I spend more and and more time up here, I understand where the anger comes from. The basis behind most of the anger is that texans come up to the hills and think that they own the mountain. They have a tendency to think faster is better and often create akward situations for the other skiiers on the hill. Kind of like the old lady drive that ne'er gets in an acident but causes those aroundthem to get in accidents trying to avoid said grandma. grandma thinks she is a great driver because she never gets in wrecks, sadly the path of destruction left in her wake makes those around her want to ring her neck. They are more likely to disobey the posted signs because they don't understand the negative magnitude of their actions and are hostile when given a friendly reminder (especially the middle aged males). Probably 80-90% of the passes I pull a year are texans who give me the response of "I bet that makes you feel important mr ski patrol" or "your such an a hole get a real job". They don't realize that I'm the sob whose job it is to save their life and I don't care who they are or where they come from. If you can't follow the rules you don't deserve the privledge to ski. Just becauee you can pay for a lift ticket doesn't give you the right to ski like a wild heathen.
CrownNSprite
AG
Are they all wearing "Dont mess with Texas shirts"? How do you know these people are from Texas? To me it always seems like there is this "holier than thou, we're connected with the environment, and this environment belongs to the citizens of Colorado and Japan, so don't come here" attitude. We pump tons of cash into the economy up there.
nnichols
We have to fill out reports that list the local and perm residence. Your we pump money into your economy is another line i love. I had almost forgot about that one.
proudaggie02
AG
Crown,

Texans are pretty easy to spot, as the accent, attire, and chattiness are often pretty noticeable. I do like seeing a few Ags on the slopes every day.
nnichols
I should of added, most of the problems we have aren't with aggies. typically they just give a howdy and a thanks and are appreciative of our service. Whoop! Wore my aggie gear (beanie and undershirt) all week last week to ruffle the sips feathers.
nnichols
Ironically in Thursday for the lift trivia I had "how many hits does it take to knock out a cart Mccoy". Again, each hill has it's own set of positives and negatives. Just being able to get out on any mountain is something worth thanking the big man for.

[This message has been edited by nnichols (edited 1/14/2010 7:45p).]
KTTFB64
There are a lot of Texans up there on vacation all the time, and people on vacation usually don't ski very well. So whenever someone slowly traverses the whole way back and forth across a blue trail they shouldn't be on while people dodge around them, it's usually a Texan.
Thriller
AG
That makes sense, but part of me steams a little bit at that. You're never going to get better without trying something a little bit more difficult each time.

I'll be up there in February as another not-so-good-skiing Texan on vacation. I'll stick mostly to the greens, but I hope to venture on to the blues after a day or so. I'll try to keep my head on a swivel and stay out of the way, but I want to get better as well.

rambled a bit, but I hope that makes sense.

Edit: I can't type.

[This message has been edited by Thriller (edited 1/15/2010 10:52a).]
bthotugigem05
AG
I actually got in shape this year, so I'm looking to work on my aerial maneuvers this time.
Dr. Devil Dog
The worst I have ever seen is all the hillbillies from the southeast who flock to the top of the narrow run that is Sugar Mountain in NC
BaylorGuy314
Texans are a very proud people. As a 5th generation Texan, I am not ashamed of that fact.

Most people interpret that pride as arrogance. And they are right that some Texans are arrogant. Of course, there are a lot that aren't, but we all know it only takes one rotten eggs to ruin the batch.
HECUBUS
AG
The most obnoxious people I see in NM and CO are always the tu and OU elements (and I don't think any of these folks hold a college degree from anywhere).

Even the worst of these obnoxious NM/CO skiers is a saint compared with the French skiers you run into at Banff.

A week at Banff in February will keep you from ever complaining about cold weather or obnoxious people when skiing the lower 48.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Living here almost 10 years, I can tell you that Texans that travel here are a pain in the ass.

1. Texans do not know how to drive. Not only are they bad drivers, but they will sit in the left hand lane blocking traffic. Have to admit a lot of them have Aggie Stickers too and it just kills me.

2. When Texans are up here it seems like they forget how to be courteous towards others. When they are at the front of a line or going into a store, they are never prepared. They have been chit-chatting so much they get there and don't know what they are doing. Then they have 20 questions and take for ever. If they would have been paying attention like everyone else they would know what was expected or they would know that they were in the way of everyone else.

3. Going to stop there. But Texans are often annoying when vacationing here and since Texans in general are very loud and proud, they are basically declaring to everyone who they should be upset at.
CrownNSprite
AG
You guys are funny! All Texans drive in the left lane and are rude. All the subaru driving, one with the mountain, you have no right to visit my mountain, cool skier guys are politely driving at the proper speed in the center lane. Wow! Just because you sweep the snow off the lift seats does not make you a god, or even respected for that matter.
Pahdz
sitting at DEN right now fixin to head back to OKC from 2 days at Breck and a day at Vail. It's icy, and there isn't much new snow. Vail was great however, especially in the afternoon on shaded runs where it softened up.

and Chasing Tail...I guess I'm better than I thought, we skied blues at Vail and blue blacks at Breck all weekend.
ESP+
Breck has sucked ever since Chair 6 was made into a highspeed lift.

However the town is wonderful for having fun.
ColoradoMooseHerd
CrownNSprite

Texans can't drive in Texas either. I am always pissed off when driving the highways between Dallas/College Station or Houston/College Station or Houston/Lufkin. Texans drive constantly in the left hand lane even when they are going slower than people in the right hand lane.

It seems to be a Texas thing. Texas Drivers believe they drive where ever they want and they are pulling over for anyone. It just kills me when it seems a majority of them seem to have Aggie Stickers.
WaynerAg03
You can complain all you want about "Texas drivers" but after moving to Denver, I can say that "Colorado drivers" are not any better. I lost count of how many locals with Colorado plates I saw in the ditchs, upright and flipped, or otherwise wrecked during the first storm that came in several months ago. A little common sense goes a long way no matter where you're from or currently reside. The same complaints I had while driving in Texas, are the same ones I have driving here in Colorado and I tend to believe its the same case everywhere else.
Sooner Born
quote:
I can say that "Colorado drivers" are not any better. I lost count of how many locals with Colorado plates I saw in the ditchs, upright and flipped, or otherwise wrecked during the first storm that came in several months ago.

That's just all the Texans that moved to CO.
ColoradoMooseHerd
Wayne

I did not say anything about wrecks. I am talking about courtesy on the road.
bthotugigem05
AG
Is Blue River Sports a good rental shop in Breckenridge? It looks like their prices are about half of everyone elses.
Pahdz
yes...my wife and i have rented there both years and the prices are stellar, the equipment is good (we always get the Deluxe package...which is new gear), and the following year they send you a letter with what you rented the year before in case you're coming back. a quality organization in a great location (corner of Main & Park?...across from the base of peak 9)
proudaggie02
AG
CMH,

I've only been in Denver for 3 months, but I've noticed that people here drive a lot slower than in Houston. People drive 55-65 on Denver highways like Houstonians drive 75-85. Also, people here drive so slow when it snows.

Locals do seem to drive faster on the way to and from the mountains though. I am sure I will see some bad-driving Texans on 70 at some point though.
WaynerAg03
Proudaggie02, welcome to Denver. I've only been here slightly longer than you.

It seems to me most people drive 55-65 on the highways around Denver (70 & 25) because generally the speed limit is 55. Of course, the speed limit doesn't stop people in Houston. I've almost been run off the road several times on the highways around Denver by the locals. I assumed it was because they weren't paying attention, but maybe it was intentional because I haven't changed my plates over yet...
proudaggie02
AG
The majority of the stretch of 25 that I drive on is 65 limit. People just drive slow here. It is definitely safer, but a little annoying at times. I guess it would not be as big of a deal if most of the highways had 6-8 lanes (like Houston).... but it is more noticeable being that most highways have ~4 lanes here.

At most, it is a minor inconvenience for being able to live in Denver over Houston.

[This message has been edited by proudaggie02 (edited 1/20/2010 10:14a).]
Sooner Born
In Denver, people drive 55 to work and 75 to the mountains.
CSTXAG2015
I dont worry about it. Heard the storm last night wiffed breck. Currently they are 15-25 inches below seasonal snowfall of the vail valley mountains. Ill keep ya posted.
Sooner Born
What sucks is while they are "only" 15-25 below this year, we've been so much ahead in the last couple of years that it seems like we're really behind.
Hudson2508
AG
We skied Keystone Friday and Saturday, then Breck on Sunday. I enjoyed Keystone over Breck for the trails, but Breck had the better snow. I made the mistake of boarding at Breck, their peak transitions are terrible, I was walking for long stretches. I will probably never go back, should have gone the extra distance to Vail. Thanks for the advice on Keystone, never battled lift lines and liked the trails, only wish there was more snow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.