***** Official Houston Astros 2024-2025 Offseason Thread *****

1,548,654 Views | 10974 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Hornbeck
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are we surprised that Gamel was released or did we pick Singleton over him for bench lefty bat? Does this foreshadow either Dezenzo or Smith getting a nod in the OF with Chas/Meyers at 4th OF?
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I suspect that is the sign that Smith is the starting RFer.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or Dezenzo.

I hate that we're basically going righty only except for Yordan and 1-2 bench players.
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep.
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

TRM said:




Well I guess no Beeks in the bullpen
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ags #1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is that legit?
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably a hot gun like Chandler said
tylhair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
can the astros start now? 'm sick of the constant nut kick that results from our alma mater's athletic endeavors
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bioish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tylhair said:

can the astros start now? 'm sick of the constant nut kick that result from our alma mater's athletic endeavors
same, same…
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bioish said:

tylhair said:

can the astros start now? 'm sick of the constant nut kick that result from our alma mater's athletic endeavors
same, same…


If the Astros suck this year I may quit sports for a while
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EastCoastAgNc said:


Pretty big fall for Jones. That org is so bad who knows, might turn back into a good player.
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

They're already in mid season form
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ah. Aggie sports. Where dreams go to die. Not slowly. But violently. Majestically. And like clockwork.

They are the most regular thing in my life. Even more regular than my constitution IYKWIM.
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's why I use TexAgs almost exclusively to talk Astros.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Taggart doesn't think Smith makes opening day. Hurts his ROY chances

Hope he's wrong and we get rid of Singleton

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/ben-gamel-jalen-beeks-released-by-astros
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiEE said:

Taggart doesn't think Smith makes opening day. Hurts his ROY chances

Hope he's wrong and we get rid of Singleton

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/ben-gamel-jalen-beeks-released-by-astros
Dezenzo has now had a better spring than Smith agruably

Why bring Smith up and burn a year, when Z has earned it the same

IF it came down to those two players, I dont see why you wouldnt choose Z
MaxPower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah that's where I'm leaning. Zach also has a little more positional flexibility, specifically 1B if Walker needs more time off to start the year.
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
astros4545 said:

AggiEE said:

Taggart doesn't think Smith makes opening day. Hurts his ROY chances

Hope he's wrong and we get rid of Singleton

https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/ben-gamel-jalen-beeks-released-by-astros
Dezenzo has now had a better spring than Smith agruably

Why bring Smith up and burn a year, when Z has earned it the same

IF it came down to those two players, I dont see why you wouldnt choose Z

Why not bring up Smith as well and rotate him around just like Dezenzo and give other guys some more rest? I think we could probably find ways to give them both some decent amount of ABs
astros4545
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They dont need rest in April

You want Dezenzo and Smith..Then they need to cut Singleton (i'd be fine with it, but dont think its happening)
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
astros4545 said:

They dont need rest in April

You want Dezenzo and Smith..Then they need to cut Singleton (i'd be fine with it, but dont think its happening)

I don't see any value in keeping Singleton. He's not looked good at all this Spring. I don't care that he bats left.

You always need rest, even in April. I want to see Altuve, Yordan, and Walker get some regular rest early to help prevent injury later on.
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I 100% support Smith starting in the minors. It's fun to think about him starting in right and continuing to rake, but the odds are heavily stacked against him. Start him in AA. Bump him to AAA if he keeps it up.
iBrad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AggiEE said:

astros4545 said:

They dont need rest in April

You want Dezenzo and Smith..Then they need to cut Singleton (i'd be fine with it, but dont think its happening)

I don't see any value in keeping Singleton. He's not looked good at all this Spring. I don't care that he bats left.

You always need rest, even in April. I want to see Altuve, Yordan, and Walker get some regular rest early to help prevent injury later on.

For the first six full weeks of the season, we have an off day built in. There are five Thursdays in a row that we don't play. I'm not sure how much more rest the guys need that early. Maybe rest them in one of the afternoon games following a night game, but I think they'll be fine. The interesting thing will be to see what we do with Diaz when Caratini catches. Does Yordan go to left and Altuve to second?

The value that Singleton has is being the perfect guy to sit the bench and not need regular at bats. Dezenzo and Smith both need ABs.
GigEmMortis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
iBrad said:

I 100% support Smith starting in the minors. It's fun to think about him starting in right and continuing to rake, but the odds are heavily stacked against him. Start him in AA. Bump him to AAA if he keeps it up.

I agree about starting him in the minors, but I don't see any reason why he should go back to AA. Send him to Sugar Land and make him the everyday RF and call him up if Chas and/or Jake struggle
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
GigEmMortis said:

iBrad said:

I 100% support Smith starting in the minors. It's fun to think about him starting in right and continuing to rake, but the odds are heavily stacked against him. Start him in AA. Bump him to AAA if he keeps it up.

I agree about starting him in the minors, but I don't see any reason why he should go back to AA. Send him to Sugar Land and make him the everyday RF and call him up if Chas and/or Jake struggle


Less hitter friendly parks (home and away). Probably slightly better pitching. Fewer AAAA types that aren't big league talent.
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG


I have no idea how the Rangers are going to pitch enough this season.
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been puzzled by the prognosticator optimism for the Rangers this year. Pitching is a mess, and everyone seems to assume that last year eas the aberration and the 2023 offense was the real version.

They may be offensively better than last year, but anyone with a critical eye could see that the 2023 Rangers were a product of every hitter having a career year at the same time.

They look like a decent-to-good offense with poor pitching to me.
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

I have been puzzled by the prognosticator optimism for the Rangers this year. Pitching is a mess, and everyone seems to assume that last year eas the aberration and the 2023 offense was the real version.

They may be offensively better than last year, but anyone with a critical eye could see that the 2023 Rangers were a product of every hitter having a career year at the same time.

They look like a decent-to-good offense with poor pitching to me.


It's all about the offense with them. Which we've seen can carry you if it's good enough. I think they'll be better this year but probably like us living around that 85-88 win range
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

No VanWey
First Page Last Page
Page 305 of 314 ▼
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.