*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

695,936 Views | 12366 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by KT 90
94chem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never been more sure that a fastball was coming in my entire life. Smith was too.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Aggie Dad 26
aggietony2010 said:

Gypsy Rose with the HR ball!
gigem1223
Still pisses me off that he didn't get an All-star invite. Team MVP
WestTexasAg
AG
JOSH FUGGIN SMITH!!! How cool was that?!

Cool seeing Yates as the first to greet him at home plate.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Would be nice if this is the spark that lights the fire.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Whew.

That was awesome.
gigem1223
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

We've said that so much this season. I'm not holding my breath. But it was a fun win.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
gigem1223 said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

We've said that so much this season. I'm not holding my breath. But it was a fun win.

Agreed. I said the same in my head as I was typing that.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Josh Smith, you the real MVP!
gigem1223
Mahle debut tomorrow
94chem
Super Aggie 64 said:

Josh Smith, you the real MVP!

The guy in the on deck circle gets a huge assist.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
gigem1223
Robertson and Yates likely out for tomorrow. I'd expect Mahle to be on an 80-90 pc. Need him to be efficient. This bullpen needs the rest.

Good news is Hader threw 26 tonight (Thanks to Langford) so I'd expect him to be off tomorrow.
kyledr04
AG
What a game. I think that was the only walk off I've seen in person. We took a big group from church and had a blast.
alvtimes
totally different level.. but tonights winner reminded me of Seagers WS HR so much!!!!
Grapesoda2525
General critiques

Offense: doesn't get on base. Doesn't put up competitive at bats. Doesn't make the other teams pitcher work. Doesn't take walks. Chases way too many pitches. Big hits always come with nobody on base. Too many guys stranded on the bases.

Defense / pitching : way too many walks, too many hit by pitches, sloppy errors, too many crooked number innings given up. Too many runs in given up lately.

Josh smith is great. So grateful we traded gallo for Durn / smith.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Hell of en ending tonight! Great to see.
Grapesoda2525
Gotta ask this

Do you guys think our GM Chris young was "taken for a ride" by the Kansas City royals GM?

2 trades

We get : aroldis Chapman and Pennington

They get: Ragans, Lorenzen, and a lotto prospect outfielder who could pan out.

Doesn't look good so far. Ragans is looking like a TORP.
Jimtim1216
S
Grapesoda2525 said:

Gotta ask this

Do you guys think our GM Chris young was "taken for a ride" by the Kansas City royals GM?

2 trades

Hindsight is always 20/20. Without Chapman does this team win the WS. With Ragans do they win the WS?

St Louis was really kicking themselves last season, but looks like they knew what they were doing this year. (Adolis)
Jimtim1216
S
Perhaps last nights game starts a very good stretch.
fc2112
Grapesoda2525 said:

Gotta ask this

2 trades

No, we won the World Series.
Tksymm7
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Gotta ask this

2 trades

I'll hear an argument for Ragans, because the dude looks like one of the best starters in the AL over the next five years, however, I really couldn't care less what happens with Lorenzen and subsequently Pennington. Lorenzen is more or less a slightly above average career journeyman RP turned SP, and Pennington is a lefty RP who's still at the beginning of his career. Will he be as good as Ragans? PROBABLY not, but so be it.

DEVELOP YOUR OWN PITCHING RANGERS, AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO HAVE REVISIONIST HISTORY.

ETA: In regards to my thoughts on GM Chris Young in general; I think this offseason is going to be the biggest of his career with the Rangers. Signing Seager, Semien, deGrom, Eovaldi etc. was huge, both financially and in stature, but I believe this offseason will be bigger because maintaining success and retooling your team is harder than being where we were and simply signing guys for big money. We have talked ad nauseum about how we have real holes that need to be addressed, and having the creativeness and sack to address those issues is where your legacy as a GM is made.
Water Boy
AG
I would love to have Ragans back but it's hard to be upset when you ended up winning a championship.
JWinTX
fc2112 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Gotta ask this

2 trades

No, we won the World Series.
That trade won us a WS, even if Chapman was a wild-ass ride. He got huge outs in every single postseason series.

And there's the other problem. Ragans in Texas never was good. His fastball was 93 here. He gets to KC and immediately gets tweaks to get that velocity up to 97-98 and is painting the black. IOW, he wasn't gonna do it here, because this organization CANNOT develop TOR pitching.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Well that is a different stance than developing pitching. Saying a couple of tweaks in KC made him a better pitcher is an indictment on Maddux.
CowtownAg06
AG
Ragans had shown the velo in spring training with the Rangers last year. We didn't have a spot for him in the rotation, but made the bullpen on opening day. He relieved DeGrom and got one out on opening day and was the winning pitcher that day (fun fact). He actually pitched well out of the pen but had 3 or 4 blow ups that made his ERA look bad. KC moved him to the rotation and the rest is history.

Remember that we did that deal with KC in June. To get an extra month of Chapman we had to "over pay". Ragans wasn't a dump but a legit cost to get a top reliever a month early. Like others have said, Chapman was a ride, but I'll take the ring.
JWinTX
Flounder Dorfman said:

Well that is a different stance than developing pitching. Saying a couple of tweaks in KC made him a better pitcher is an indictment on Maddux.
Actually, its an indictment on whoever the minor-league pitching coach/director is. Maddux only had him for a small amount of time, so I give him a pass. Just know that I'm a huge Mike Maddux fan--our best baseball teams have had him as our pitching coach and its not even close.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Also for the record, I don't give a crap what Lorenzen does the rest of the season. He's a FA in the offseason and was expendable. Getting a bullpen piece for next year for a dude that was signed a week before opening day is something I will take every day of the week.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I'm a huge fan as well.

Ragans had even less time with KC than he did with Maddux. His improvement was immediate.

I'm as big of a critic of the pitching development as anyone, but Ragans was developed into an MLB pitcher with the Rangers and then I think he just took off with a change of scenery. Seems like at times that is enough for some players to take the next step
Water Boy
AG
How much do these top pitching coaches make? Wouldn't it be worth the investment to pay 3-5 million extra in coaching salary to develop a decent pitcher or two?
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Who are you going to pay $3-5 million extra to that is that much of an upgrade over Mike Maddux? Especially given the fact that he is considered one of the top pitching coaches in Major League Baseball?
Danny Vermin
The pitching , while shorthanded, has not been our problem. If we hit even 75% of last year's production, we are up 5-7 games in our division.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Agreed. Pitching has been just fine. Offense is the major issue.

Especially considering the number of injuries. The Rangers have gotten a lot out of guys that they signed to one year contracts. Like a whole lot.
Water Boy
AG
I'm looking at more of the minor leagues where a lot of the development occurs.
Grapesoda2525
Last nights game was fun and all, but it doesn't mean much unless we win 1 out of the next 2.

Astros are a cold team right now. Kick them while they're down.
South Platte
Ragans has turned into a decent starting pitcher. His stats are not amazing, but significantly better than he was in Texas.

I know win/loss decisions are quirky in MLB, but he's 8-7, with only 2 wins against teams with winning records (Boston and Arizona), and those wins occurred in July.

He had TJ surgery at 20, and now he's throwing harder than ever. I promise I don't hate the kid. We are a long way from Dave Stewart territory.
First Page Last Page
Page 323 of 354

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.