*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

724,532 Views | 12520 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Proposition Joe
alvtimes
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Im still waiting to hear who the Rangers need to trade
for…. and dont say ohtani…… If Jung doesnt make it back….. Josh Smith has filled in with a .296 BA…. in his place….. Odalis sure he has struggled…. but Judge aint walking in the clubhouse….. sometimes it is what it is
Grapesoda2525
O'hoppe is turning into a rangers killer. He had some big hits earlier this season in Texas too. Hopefully he gets the day off tomorrow since he's a catcher who has caught both games in our series so far.
sburg2007
Waking up to see Adolis hit game winning home run. Glad to see it after I said I was about done with him. Maybe he can come back around. Bullpen is best thing to see not giving up a run. Sweep the leg.
Grapesoda2525
The ball he hit on the double play was probably 110+ mph. Only problem was it went straight at someone.
Proposition Joe
I enjoy the "we should trade him" angles, like this is 1950 and maybe a suitor hasn't been able to see him play lately.

Potential trade recipients see the same things as potential traders see.

He's making $7m a year... so based on WAR valuations, decent chance he still is "worth it" at season's end.

And if you trade him, who are you going to replace him with? Derek Hill?
shack009
AG
One thing that has always remained true about teams is they all think "we can fix him" about toolsy guys on other teams who aren't performing to their ability.
KT 90
AG
shack009 said:

One thing that has always remained true about teams is they all think "we can fix him" about toolsy guys on other teams who aren't performing to their ability.

I am not sure that there is really any fixing Garcia. He is who is his. He is going to go on hot streaks and cold streaks, probably will end up with an average around .235 to .240. Hopefully he is on the verge of a heater now. He had three hard hit balls last night.

DallasAg 94
It depends on what you think/want their direction to be.

What spurred the recent discussion was a series of articles that said the Rangers could be in "sell mode" if things didn't turn around. So there is the "trade for" to improve a struggling team... and as liquidation.

This article captures the group of articles:
https://www.lonestarball.com/2024/7/8/24194358/mlb-trade-rumors-deadline-texas-rangers-max-scherzer-nathan-eovaldi-jon-gray-adolis-garcia

On 7/7, Grant wrote:
Quote:

However, Evan also listed Nathaniel Lowe, Jonah Heim and Leody Taveras, three players currently in arbitration. Evan noted that the trio would be owed about $20 million next year in expected salaries in arbitration, going on to say that "[t]he Rangers might consider dealing one or more of them to avoid having to make decisions about tendering contracts, which would also free up money for free agency."

I posted on June 21 that Lowe's podcast with Sandler indicated that he had a joke going with some of the guys about who would get to 3 HRs 1st.

Quote:

Lowe's podcast this week... just happened to stumble on it, and he was joking about the "race to 3." Apparently he jokes with Langford, and Taveras... I didn't catch the full group and if it included Jung, but they are all sitting on 2 HRs and he is joking about who will get to 3 first. Duran is at 2, as well.

Duran is in the minors, now. I don't think it had anything to do with the comments. Duran was struggling and needed to fix some things.

Interestingly in the last 15 days (19 days since I posted about the podcast):
Lowe: .333, 4 HR, .942 OPS
Taveras: .375, 0 HR, .860 OPS, 3SB
Heim: .341, 2 HR, .910 OPS

Those are the 3 guys that are Arb eligible next year that Evan Grant wrote could be traded to re-allocate the $20M they are likely to get next year.

I think some/many of us have seen Lowe and Taveras as guys that can be traded. Taveras replaced with Carter, if healthy. Lowe's often struggle against the high 4S is frustrating.

And to answer your question, Pete Alonso (NYM) was a consideration for Lowe.
Tksymm7
AG
I don't think the Rangers will be in any mood to truly acquire someone at or before the deadline. As rbtexan has said multiple times, it just makes no sense to trade assets of value (whatever value they may hold) for a rental of any kind. On top of that I don't even know what assets of value we truly have outside of some A ball players or below, who won't see the majors for another three+ years. The only thing I think the Rangers will do at the deadline is trade off pitchers currently on the 40 or IL for more minor league assets in order to make room for guys getting healthy.

Additionally, would I love to trade off guys like Garcia, Lowe and especially Taveras? Yeah, I probably would, because I think we have seen the best of what they are, and they aren't going to play up to that level frequently imo. But even then I still don't think we are in much of a position to make those moves outside of maybe Taveras, who we have a clearcut replacement for.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I think the lineup is what it is for 2024 with the hopeful additions of Jung and Carter at some point. And if you get those two guys back and healthy, it's much better than anything else you could add from the trade market.

Same with pitching. Mahle and Bradford are better than anything available on the trade market.

The offseason is when you make decisions on the roster. At least for this team for this year.
DallasAg 94
Lorenzen on the bump, tonight.

He is from Fullerton, so a bit of a homecoming for him.
Water Boy
AG
I think at this point we just need to get Jung back and wait to see if Garcia can get hot. If those things happen we will win a lot of ball games.
DallasAg 94
After the ASG we have:
v O's (3)
v CWS (4)
@ Tor (3)
@ StL (3)

To finish out July. Hopefully the White Sox and Blue Jays have already sold off some pieces.

Mariners have:
v Astros (3)
v LAAA (3)
@ CWS (3)
@ Boston (3)

Probably not much difference in terms of SoS.

Houston:
@ Sea (3)
@ Oak (3)
v LAD (3)
v Pitt (3)
Tksymm7
AG
I know we have beaten this dead horse, but it really is a simple as where we are at in the standings. If we were leading the division or in a WC spot with some guys producing like they are, then I think the front office would absolutely be looking to upgrade or tweak the team with a Pete Alonso or Luis Robert Jr. (or thereabouts), but you just can't do it when you still have a long row to hoe.
DallasAg 94
This could be one of the strangest trade-deadlines in years.

In the AL: behind the Rangers for WC3 are Detroit, Toronto, LAAA, Oak, and CWS. The Yankees were thought to be running away with the O's and then all of a sudden they are struggling.

In the NL: for WC3, you have 7 teams within 5.5 GB. Only Miami (15) and Colorado (15.5) are out. But, you have Philly that is just so far ahead of everyone else. LAD are 4.5 GB Philly, but the Dodgers have a ton of SP injuries (more than the Rangers) and could emerge.

There could be as few as 7 sellers. Last year there was speculation that contending teams might swap with each other. I don't know that it really happened much.

And last year 2 teams barely making the playoffs were playing for the World Series.
Tksymm7
AG
It does feel like we're heading into a "holding" trade deadline. As you said, there really only are a handful of teams that are knock-down buyers.
Water Boy
AG
We have a nice mix of good, average, and bad teams to play this month. We should know all we need to know concerning trades by the deadline.
Proposition Joe
I think you'll see Baltimore go for it at the deadline. A lot of their fanbase felt like they didn't do enough last year and their window is limited.
Water Boy
AG
I would not be happy if I was an O's fan. They have hit the jackpot with an absurd amount of young cheap talent. They should have done way more to solidify that team to win a championship. I'll be interested to see if they part with any of their young talent.
DallasAg 94
We made it worse for them.

I have an employee from Baltimore who grew up an O's fan. His battered syndrome is far superior to any Ags.

He was like, "well, if we'd have made a move the Yankees would have made 2 better moves." He views O's moves as a provocation for the Yankees.

But, I think the real difference last year was the experience we had and the "been there done it" mentality of guys like Seager and Scherzer... and Bochy. I think many of the things Bochy does during the season that drives fans crazy are the things that enable him to pull the right levers in the playoffs.
CowtownAg06
AG
Baltimore also has a new owner that is going to spend. I expect them to be very aggressive.
Water Boy
AG
Yeah that's crazy to think that way. The Yankees are going to make whatever moves they want regardless of what the O's do.
DallasAg 94
I agree.

I like to think the opposite. I'd rather keep pressure on them.

The Astros had a good run because Oak and LAA were content to not compete and then Seattle and Texas decided to tank to build up the Farm. So, they have free reign in the Division for 4-5 years.

IMO, the only way the Astros make the playoffs in '24 is if the Rangers and/or Mariners pull back. I think signing Hader and attempts to sign Snell were mistakes and done because they lost in '23.
FranQ
Water Boy
AG
They won the lottery with Blanco. Without him they would have already sold off pieces. I don't blame crane for opening up the checkbook last off season. He knows he needs to make moves to keep their window open. It's about to close.
DallasAg 94
I think our series this week with Houston should be a good indicator:

@Hou
Heaney: 17GS, 3.80 v Brown: 17GS, 4.48
Eovaldi: 15GS, 3.10 v Arrighetti: 15GS, 5.96
Gray: 16GS, 4.01 v Blanco: 17GS, 2.53

We'll miss Valdez (15GS, 3.84), but that is really all they have, right now. Verlander will return at some point.

They'll miss Lorenzen: 15GS, 3.21 and Scherzer: 4GS, 3.09

And behind them we have Urena who is healthy.
Tksymm7
AG
Hunter Brown has been unreal since tweaking a few things and going to a cutter as his primary fastball.
DallasAg 94
Was going well.

7ER in 6.0 IP on Saturday, his last outing out. Maybe Minnesota picked up on something?!
Aggie Dad 26
https://www.mlb.com/news/adolis-garcia-s-heroics-help-rangers-earn-win-over-angels

That sound is beautiful
KT 90
AG
KT 90
AG
And Adolis Garcia to the Home Run Derby. Was kind of expecting that, being the hometown team and all, but it was made official a bit ago per a pop up on my phone.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I think our series this week with Houston should be a good indicator:

@Hou
Heaney: 17GS, 3.80 v Brown: 17GS, 4.48
Eovaldi: 15GS, 3.10 v Arrighetti: 15GS, 5.96
Gray: 16GS, 4.01 v Blanco: 17GS, 2.53

We'll miss Valdez (15GS, 3.84), but that is really all they have, right now. Verlander will return at some point.

They'll miss Lorenzen: 15GS, 3.21 and Scherzer: 4GS, 3.09

And behind them we have Urena who is healthy.

Not so fast on Gray:

gigem1223
Good. I have no faith in Gray starting at the moment. Would rather give Urena the spot start until Mahle gets back.
KT 90
AG
gigem1223 said:

Good. I have no faith in Gray starting at the moment. Would rather give Urena the spot start until Mahle gets back.
With the off day, Scherzer would also be on regular rest on Sunday. But given his age and recent issues, might not be a bad idea to give Scherzer the extra day anyway and run Urena out there. But we may need Urena out of the pen.... that's probably why it is listed as TBA.

Of course, Gray would be an option out of the pen if he is not starting. He did well in the role at the end of last season.

DallasAg 94
'Cause he is going to be pitching in the ASG, right.
First Page Last Page
Page 271 of 358

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.