*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

725,369 Views | 12532 Replies | Last: 5 min ago by South Platte
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Did I miss this getting posted?!

DallasAg 94

There is a good chance we'll still win the Division. Those GBs will start to melt away.

Right now for the WC, the key is the number of teams ahead of us:

KC
BOS: 1.0 GB
TBR: 5.5 <- SP ERA is 4.50 (12th in AL).
TOR: 5.5 <- Just put Bo Bichette on IL
TEX: 6.5
HOU: 6.5
DET: 6.5
---------
LAA: 11.5 <- This is where you don't want to be, right now.

When was the last time Tampa had a poor rotation?! Looks like their time has run out.

Toronto has been relatively healthy, much like the Mariners.

KC has had 5 GS from players outside their starting 5.

We host KC this weekend for a 3G set and could cut our GB almost in half. We need to start taking care of business.

Scoreboard watching for this weekend (outside of watching the Ags):
KC @ Tex
Bos @ Cincy
Tor @ Cle
Balt @ Hous

DallasAg 94
I know some think the whole Rule V thing is overblown... maybe. I believe it is certainly a consideration when managing your assets/talent.

For example:
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/06/rangers-jose-corniell-to-undergo-ucl-surgery.html

I think many were hoping we might see Corniell, this year. He was on the 40. So, now... he gets TJ. He holds a spot on our roster.

Quote:

The Rangers added Corniell to their 40-man roster last winter. Texas was concerned that another team (likely a rebuilding club) could grab him in the Rule 5 draft and try to stash him in the bullpen even though he'd yet to pitch above High-A. Corniell will continue to count against the 40-man while he's on the minor league injured list.

If they're willing to pay him at the the prorated $740K MLB minimum rate, Texas could place Corniell on the 60-day IL to open a roster spot. He'd need to be reinstated over the offseason, though the Rangers could elect to non-tender him with an eye towards bringing him back on a minor league deal instead.

Rule V was the motivation to put him on the 40. Now, we either carry him on the 40 limiting our flexibility.

The likely call will be he gets moved to the 60 to make room for Scherzer to get moved to the 40 for Saturday.

AgBQ-00
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

That is good. Hoping he rounds into form quickly and stays healthy
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

That is good. Hoping he rounds into form quickly and stays healthy

Can he bat? I just don't want him to square up to bunt and have two black eyes again.
DallasAg 94
HSO: The Rangers will be 2GB for the WC3 and nobody ahead of us by the end of June, 2024.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
That is quite the HSO indeed!
DallasAg 94

Schedule:
KCR: WC3 = @ Oak (1), @ Tex (3), v Mia (3), v Cle (4)=> 5-6
BOS: 1.0 = ---------, @ Cin (3), v Tor (3), v SDP (3)
TBR: 5.5 = @ Min (1), @ Pit (3), v Sea (3), v Was (3)
TOR: 5.5 = ---------, @ Cle (3), @ Bos (3), v NYY (4) <- They always seem to be playing a Div leader.
TEX: 6.5 = ---------, v KCR (3), @ Mil (3), @ Bal (4)=> 8-2
HOU: 6.5
DET: 6.5

You will fall in love all over again!

If Oak beats KC tonight and we sweep them, like I think we will... We'll be at 3GB and it is all but given at that point!

GreasenUSA
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

HSO: The Rangers will be 2GB for the WC3 and nobody ahead of us by the end of June, 2024.
Agree. We can nab us another wildcard spot this year. Get rolling, do that, and who knows what can happen.
AgBQ-00
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

That would be a lot of games to make up in 10 days
You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
DallasAg 94
A 3 G sweep gets you off to great start.
agent-maroon
AG
Love where his heart's at, but... Math is a harsh mistress
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DallasAg 94
KC Series:
Eovaldi (11GS, 3.15 ERA, 60.0 IP, 64K) v Singer (14GS, 3.39 ERA, 77.0 IP, 76 SO)
TBD Scherzer? v TBD (Wacha?): 12GS, 4.24 ERA)
Gray (12GS, 3.31 ERA, 65.1 IP, 65K) v Marsh (13GS, 4.37 ERA, 70.0 IP, 65 SO)

DallasAg 94
There is a math error in there, but I'm not telling nor correcting.
South Platte
I think we're about to lose 10 in a row. Baltimore's waiting for the kill shot. Payback will be a mofo.

Mr Gigem
AG
Big head + raging = ?????

DallasAg 94
It's a deep fake. It isn't in his nature to ever be mad.
Grapesoda2525
South Platte said:

I think we're about to lose 10 in a row. Baltimore's waiting for the kill shot. Payback will be a mofo.

Listened to the news / radio at all lately? Baltimore just lost Bradish and Astros just put Verlander on 15 day DL.

If our health continues to improve, I'm starting to like our chances of a comeback into some kind of playoff spot.
Grapesoda2525
Mariners lost to guardians again. Astros beat white Sox, but seemingly everyone has been. Other contenders have already burned many games with the white Sox while we have 7 left.
shack009
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Mariners lost to guardians again. Astros beat white Sox, but seemingly everyone has been. Other contenders have already burned many games with the white Sox while we have 7 left.

I saw an article today that the white Sox are in contention to be one of the worst teams ever and Benintendi could have the worst single season WAR of all time.
CowtownAg06
AG
shack009 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

I saw an article today that the white Sox are in contention to be one of the worst teams ever and Benintendi could have the worst single season WAR of all time.

Benintendi missed some time and has been passed by teammate Martin Maldonado.
DallasAg 94

KT 90
AG
Interesting read from Evan on the struggles of Garcia/Heim/Lowe/Taveras:

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Didn't see it live, but saw it on X/Twitter... Lol, good to see a little fire in him. Probably tired of getting rung up on bad pitches too.

DallasAg 94
Haven't seen a Jung update/projection.

He went 1-for-5 @ DH v Sacramento, last night.

Foscue went 0-for-2 and played 1B.

Game was in Sacramento, so little chance I'd suspect either make it for tonight... on a whim.

RR finishes up in Sacramento on Sunday, and heads to RR...so maybe we'll see them next week?!
DallasAg 94
Lowe's podcast this week... just happened to stumble on it, and he was joking about the "race to 3." Apparently he jokes with Langford, and Taveras... I didn't catch the full group and if it included Jung, but they are all sitting on 2 HRs and he is joking about who will get to 3 first. Duran is at 2, as well.

It came across as very passive and no pressure. Very loose. I know he has a very light-hearted approach, and baseball is all about being in the moment. But, he seemed almost too indifferent about the struggle.

Granted, he also said they're approaching the time to quit trying things quit adjusting and just lean in and push forward.

Foscue spent last week in the Rangers AZL playing 1B. I would not be upset if the Rangers traded Foscue as part of a package to get Alonso (former Gator, btw). Even if it doesn't displace Lowe, it is worth noting Foscue is playing 1B. And Alonso would be a better DH option than Foscue in 2024.
Tksymm7
AG
KT 90 said:

Interesting read from Evan on the struggles of Garcia/Heim/Lowe/Taveras:

Everyone should read this if they have a DMN sub. It paints THE issue for the Rangers clearly, and just says out loud what we are all thinking about the futures of those four. The Heim numbers and performance are the most jarring imo. We all know the issue with Garcia, Lowe and Taveras, but this brings Heim into the spotlight.
Mr Gigem
AG
FYI, single game tickets for All-Star Week go on sale next week
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I can see Lowe being out of baseball in three years. I'm not predicting it, but could see it.

Heim needs a real platoon partner. Knizner is not that. Whatever the numbers look like for Heim doesn't really matter to me. He came back from an injury way earlier than expected, wasn't fully healed and gutted through it for the last month of the regular season and all of the post season. Then turned around four months later and reported to spring training. That is a catcher that needs some rest, but he's not getting it because the organization has not provided any alternative.
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Haven't seen a Jung update/projection.

He went 1-for-5 @ DH v Sacramento, last night.

Foscue went 0-for-2 and played 1B.

Game was in Sacramento, so little chance I'd suspect either make it for tonight... on a whim.

RR finishes up in Sacramento on Sunday, and heads to RR...so maybe we'll see them next week?!

Note from Scott Lucas today, related to Foscue and the 40:

"Justin Foscue's rehab was transferred to Round Rock. He may stay on option once his rehab assignment runs out (in just a few days, I believe), so no need to think of his present time here as part of some special category. An option would also remove him from the 60-day IL and require a full-fledged 40 spot."
Tksymm7
AG
There's probably some truth to this and that we really do need a better platoon partner to give him more rest days. I also agree with what EG writes about how, because Heim is such a big dude, his swing swing is incredibly long and slow, which makes him even more susceptible to guys throwing fastballs up in the zone. You could probably say the same thing about Lowe and Leody as well. They have really long, loopy swings.
DallasAg 94
As they say... "nut cuttin' " time.

We have 47, AFAIK, and 8 on the 60, so, we may have only 39 on the 40.

Both Scherzer and Foscue will need roster spots.

Corniell will get moved to the 60. That's one.

FWIW... Garabito is pitching tonight for RR...
rbtexan
S
Foscue will stay at RR IMO
Jimbo Franchione
DallasAg 94
I'd like to read the article, but I made a pledge 20 years ago that after the DMN as a paper decided to take a political side, that I'd never give them my money. Even after having read their paper daily for over a decade.

Each of those guys has different concerns:
Garcia (31) - 2 more years of control. RF needs to produce. I've said this, but I think he just needs the pressure. But, IMO, he wears his emotions too much on his sleeve. Sit him for a replacement... He'll either return and hit 5 HRs in his next 5 ABs... or he may whiff 5 times. Just depends if he feels challenged or threatened.

Heim (29) - 2 more years of control. He is a catcher and poor O is ok, if you manage the pitchers well. I do think he needs more rest, as well. Unfortunately, we have Knizner for another year, as well.

Lowe (28) - 2 more years of control. We've known he can't hit a high FB since last year... until he hits them, I suppose. 1B is a place, IMO, you just need more consistency.

Taveras (25) - 3 more years of control. CF, but .213, 5 HRs... his defensive lapses are too much to rely on.

I've been trying to trade Taveras and Garcia since last year. Lowe too, but to a lesser degree. Lowe is some of the glue, IMO, and Garcia is part of the blood that runs through the veins.

I think we'll pick up a rental RHB at the deadline.
I think Langford will anchor himself in LF.
We likely pickup a backup C at the deadline.

Taveras is likely an off-season trade.
If we go big on a 1B/DH in the off-season, I could see Lowe moved. I agree I could see him out of baseball after his Arb years. Maybe he and Sandler become our TV guys.
Garcia will likely be here in 2025
South Platte
Tksymm7 said:

There's probably some truth to this
There is a ton of truth in that post.

Take Buster Posey. He essentially retired at 32, and the numbers in his 31 and 32 year old seasons had slipped. He took the entire 2020 season off, came back in 2021 and improved his numbers, then retired officially at 34. He played a TON of games from 2012-2017 and then he was done. Obviously he spent his entire career playing for Bochy.

Heim turns 29 next week. We need to get him some breaks with a suitable backup.
First Page Last Page
Page 244 of 359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.