*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]

725,367 Views | 12532 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by South Platte
South Platte
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm just here to give my boy Langford some recog after clearing the fence. It's only the end of June.

We had literally countless losses last year that were inexcusable. Somehow we got to 90 wins in spite of all of that. We are fast approaching the trade deadline. Will be interesting to see what CY does if we continue to shuffle along. Selling Yates and a healthy Scherzer might restock the minor league system. Throw Dunning, Gray, and/or Heaney in there too.
WestTexasAg
AG
This team keeps finding new ways to lose. Our starting pitching, despite all of the injuries, has been pretty solid all year. We can't freaking score any runs.

In come the Mets and Gray gives up 9 runs. The next day we finally score some runs, yet blow a 6-2 lead with Robertson and Yates - two guys that have been stellar all year.

What's next? Damn it.
alvtimes
On the positive side, Nice outing for Leiter tonight
7 scoreless, 5 hits 0 walks, 8 K's
fc2112
So we're getting close to talking about being sellers at the trade deadline.

Scherzer is the biggest name, but he isn't healthy yet. Heaney could probably help some people. Yates, urena and LeClerc couldn't probably score some decent prospects.
Tksymm7
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Tksymm7 said:

Banners fly forever.
True… but it ****ing pisses me off that the team is basically saying " got championship, got trophy, **** this". They aren't hungry. They aren't playing with intensity. They are just going thru the motions.

I was hoping we could go to the ALCS for the next 5 years similar to what the Astros were able to do, but the boys just don't seem to be interested.
Oh it pisses me off as well. I don't think the players aren't hungry or don't want to win another. Were they likely pretty dang worn out after last season? Heck yeah, and it could've affected the start of the season, but I don't think that's an issue now. My ultimate gripe is with the front office. THEY sat on their hands this offseason outside of singing some flyers in the bullpen and Lorenzen/Yates/Robinson and it shows in a major way. They didn't have to go out and spend giant money, but choosing to rely on two rookies and believing that some of our guys would repeat their previous seasons was a major mistake. Could they have predicted they would be this bad? Probably not, but some reversion could've been seen, and supplementing from FA or what should've been done.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I haven't watched much lately due to travel and the NCAA tournament, so I'm not as pissed as those that have been watching. I will say something that will sound insane if I don't communicate it correctly.

What we are seeing now absolutely sucks, but could possibly set us up really well in 2025 and beyond. The injuries this year have been unbelievable. The players on the roster are better than the product on the field. But whatever. The team is now seven games under after a ridiculously horrible loss.

The team is getting healthy and will have a month to try to move up in the standings before the trading deadline. If they are in contention, that means they have been playing well. That's a good thing and you can look at adding a couple of pieces. You won't need much since you're stacked with pitching at that point and the offense must be clicking again if you're winning.

If you are where you are today, then you have some really attractive players with expiring contracts. Trade off the rentals for whatever prospects you can get and build up the farm system. It has no affect on your roster for next year. Let Langford continue to settle into being an MLB player. Get Carter's back fixed. Watch Taveras, Garcia and Lowe and visualize if they are what you want/need for the next few years. Let DeGrom and Mahle fully recover from their surgeries and let them build back up without the temptation of pushing them too far in an attempt to improve in the standings.

This team needs to get healthy and figure out what they want on the roster going forward. I hope they're contending at the deadline, but if not, I like the idea of adding some prospects to the system because the cupboard is getting pretty bare on the farm.
rbtexan
S
I don't disagree, but in fairness to the front office folks, you have to remember that this team invested a hell of a lot of money the past few years (Seager, Semien, deGrom, etc.) All of that money is still on the books, and regardless of what we'd like to think, the budget isn't a bottomless well that we can keep pulling buckets of cash from to sign every available/desirable FA. I think where I would fault the front office is their apparent unwillingness to trade away prospects who are very likely never going to have a significant role with the Rangers (Huff, Foscue, Winn, Crim to name a few). I find it difficult to believe that there isn't a good piece available for this team out there that could be acquired with a package of prospects like those I mentioned.
Jimbo Franchione
Flounder Dorfman
AG
There is no need to go spend big on a FA this offseason. If you did that, which position would it be? Second, short, third, catcher are locked down. I don't see them signing an outfielder to a large contract with Garcia and Taveras on the roster. They have four outfielders already that they really like, if you count Garcia and Taveras, which is why I listed them as two you watch for the rest of the season. First can be improved. Maybe that's Ortiz or they trade for someone. I look at first base as the easiest position in MLB to find a replacement.

Starting pitching for next season under contract is good. There will be additions to it, just like there will be additions on the bullpen.

It will be an interesting offseason either way.
Water Boy
AG
Sell Lorenzen, Yates, Robertson, and Scherzer. We could get a pretty decent haul for all those guys. Replenish the farm and get ready for 25.
Mr Gigem
AG
That's a lot of arms to replace. Sounds like you are fixing one problem and creating another
Flounder Dorfman
AG
Those are all expiring contracts. No need to replace anything.
Jimtim1216
S
Water Boy said:

Sell Lorenzen, Yates, Robertson, and Scherzer. We could get a pretty decent haul for all those guys. Replenish the farm and get ready for 25.

I would agree with this, minus Scherzer. If he comes back next year he would be a valuable leader with the pitching staff.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I would replace Scherzer with Heaney on that list.
Mr Gigem
AG
What players on current MLB rosters or MLB ready prospects would expect to get in for expiring contracts. History says it's not a very good return. And we'd be looking for pieces that would make immediate contributions and have control beyond 2024 and 2025.

What are our major needs right now and for the future? In no particular order, a high slug 1B and a lefty RP right? Lorenzen is an expiring contract, yes, but he's having a great year and I'm sure we'd love to have him back.

I'll let DallasAg bless us with a breakdown. I'm sure he'll be around any moment now.
Water Boy
AG
All the guys I listed are FA after this season. I wouldn't mind keeping max but I doubt he signs a team friendly deal with us. If we can get him at around 10million for next year that would be a good deal.
Water Boy
AG
All those guys are gone after this season. Might as well get something in return.
Flounder Dorfman
AG
I wouldn't be looking for immediate help for rentals. Take care of that in the offseason where needed.

Get some prospects. Low level is fine. The farm needs to be replenished.

And that is all under the assumption the Rangers are sellers. They might end up being buyers.
Grapesoda2525
Langford getting screwed by umpires again.
Water Boy
AG
Ags are on.
Grapesoda2525
Anemic offense
toucan82
we scored a run, what else do you want?
toucan82
well poop
toucan82
wow, Langford didn't get hosed on a call then ties it up
Grapesoda2525
Kids getting it done.
gigem1223
Bout time Leody!
Grapesoda2525
Man we need this win so bad. It ain't even funny.
Super Aggie 64
AG
Hello Win Column! Nice to end the losing streak!
gigem1223
Bats seem to be warming up a bit. Hopefully that continues.
DallasAg 94
Jung 2/7 in 2 G for RR.
gigem1223
3/12 in 3G
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Glad the Rangers won tonight but we have an important date in Omaha.

Gig'em!!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Never in my life did I think there was even a chance that both my baseball teams could play for a title in the same year. I don't even know how to feel.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

Never in my life did I think there was even a chance that both my baseball teams could play for a title in the same year. I don't even know how to feel.

It felt great in November. Can't imagine what a CWS Championship would feel like.
Grapesoda2525
6.5 games back from last wild card. I bet we can still catch the royals / Twinkies.
Tksymm7
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

6.5 games back from last wild card. I bet we can still catch the royals / Twinkies.
Tend to agree. I just don't see us winning the division at this point, so the WC is the goal. If I were Bochy and the coaching staff, my first goal to dangle in front of the team would be to get back to .500 on the year. Get back to .500 and then make the next goal be to get into a WC spot.
First Page Last Page
Page 243 of 359

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.