***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,531,566 Views | 63409 Replies | Last: 21 min ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Texaggie7nine
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Notice, most everything you mentioned are things they can charge higher prices for than the previous use.
7nine
Mathguy64
AG
This is kind of chicken***** And by "kind of" I mean a massive pile of it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pirates-release-1b-rowdy-tellez-4-plate-appearances-short-of-a-200k-contract-bonus-015357219.html
Ag_07
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Notice, most everything you mentioned are things they can charge higher prices for than the previous use.

I mean...It is a business right?
Hornbeck
AG
That's the white speck on top of chicken ***** It's chicken ****, too. They knew exactly what they were doing.
Booma94
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm gonna disagree with you here

MMP has aged very well. Crane has added quite a few features including the CF redo, Michelob Club, Gallagher Club, Xfinity Club, ribbon boards, LED lights, and place and pay beverage stations.

Seems like they're always adding to the fan experience.

Concessions at any sporting event are ridiculous so I won't bag on Crane for that. It is nice that each fan is allowed a gallon ziploc to bring in food and snacks if you don't wanna pay for the concessions.
I agree that MMP has aged well. But most of the things you mentioned are additional ways to generate revenue. They created 'prime' experiences that come with prime price tags. The LED lights were added for TV purposes, and they place and pay beverage stations were a way to cut employee costs. Pretty much all of the things you mentioned, along with advertisements on just about every flat surface, were installed to make more money.

At the end of the day, as long as he's investing most of it back in the team, which he seems to be, he's doing what he has to in order to remain competitive in the MLB ecosystem. But money is the impetus for almost all of the improvements you mentioned.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
agproducer
AG
Need more of this. WC, ALDS, ALCS, WS.

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck said:

That's the white speck on top of chicken ***** It's chicken ****, too. They knew exactly what they were doing.
I would say that would hurt their ability to attract free agents, but they don't seem to be a club that cares about signing anyone of significance.
All I do is Nguyen
Love me some Spaghetti

No matter what!
Epstein didn't do, you know, the thing...
I'm the rare Astros/Cowboys/Spurs fan. We do exist
Beat40
Booma94 said:

Ag_07 said:

MMP has aged very well. Crane has added quite a few features including the CF redo, Michelob Club, Gallagher Club, Xfinity Club, ribbon boards, LED lights, and place and pay beverage stations.

Concessions at any sporting event are ridiculous so I won't bag on Crane for that. It is nice that each fan is allowed a gallon ziploc to bring in food and snacks if you don't wanna pay for the concessions.
I agree that MMP has aged well. But most of the things you mentioned are additional ways to generate revenue. They created 'prime' experiences that come with prime price tags. The LED lights were added for TV purposes, and they place and pay beverage stations were a way to cut employee costs. Pretty much all of the things you mentioned, along with advertisements on just about every flat surface, were installed to make more money.

At the end of the day, as long as he's investing most of it back in the team, which he seems to be, he's doing what he has to in order to remain competitive in the MLB ecosystem. But money is the impetus for almost all of the improvements you mentioned.

What owner is making improvements to their stadium is not with an impetus for making money?

Even if an improvement is "for the fans," it's still with the intent to make fans happy and keep them coming back, which of course means generating more money, which means money is the impetus for that decision.

Edit for I missed your initial post on the matter. I guess I'd say I don't necessarily disagree with you on your point regarding TVs and stuff on the concourse to keep people a little more engaged while purchasing concessions.

As far as fan experience being an afterthought - I guess what is the expectation?
streetfighter2012
AG
htxag09 said:

A buddy of mine just sent me a rumor going around an Astros facebook group that naming rates of the stadium are about to change.....

Rumor is Daikin.

Quick google shows that the Minute Maid contract was through 2032, but assume they could buy out of the remainder of it.

This is the golden era of baseball. Win the division and we get offseason conversations in less than 24 hrs like nothing happened.
Ciboag96
Me leaving Minute Maid Monday

Me leaving last night

tjack16
AG
Ag_07 said:

MMP is great. If you look at pics from around 2010 compared to now it's night and day different in a better way
Sex Panther
AG
Is anybody only getting the spanish broadcast or is that just me? Using Direct TV Stream
carpediem13
AG
My broadcast won't even load, DirectTV Stream as well
gambochaman
AG
Man I have heard about the a/c issues but just havent felt it I guess

I have been 7 times this year…5 for my field level group season tix and twice with the kids buddies tix in the nosebleeds .every time I have been plenty comfortable
Prosperdick
AG
Mathguy64 said:

This is kind of chicken***** And by "kind of" I mean a massive pile of it.

https://sports.yahoo.com/pirates-release-1b-rowdy-tellez-4-plate-appearances-short-of-a-200k-contract-bonus-015357219.html

It's a bad look for sure but on the flip side he's made (checks baseball reference) just over 10 million dollars over his career so although $200K is a lot of money it's not that much to someone who is a multi-millionaire.
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Love me some Spaghetti

Sex Panther
AG
carpediem13 said:

My broadcast won't even load, DirectTV Stream as well

Same, if you go to the channel guide you should have the spanish broadcast right below what should be the normal one
Ag_07
AG
It's only an issue when sitting up in the nosebleeds.

Shame too because we sat in 306 Row 2 and the view is great for being so high. They'd be great cheap seats if cool air could get up there.
htxag09
AG
Ag_07 said:

It's only an issue when sitting up in the nosebleeds.

Shame too because we sat in 306 Row 2 and the view is great for being so high. They'd be great cheap seats if cool air could get up there.

I would agree before this year. Club still isn't an issue. But I've sat field level multiple times, Lexus cf field suite, etc, all hot this year. Everyone I was with agreed and most were sweating at our seats.
Mathguy64
AG
Taquerias Arandas must have contract money on 20 steals.
spadilly
S
JP3 steals second, then third, and has himself a nice 20 SB season.
Ciboag96
Mathguy64 said:

Taquerias Arandas must have contract money on 20 steals.

Year supply of Guacamole salad
Texaggie7nine
gambochaman said:

Man I have heard about the a/c issues but just havent felt it I guess

I have been 7 times this year…5 for my field level group season tix and twice with the kids buddies tix in the nosebleeds .every time I have been plenty comfortable
Our season tix are in Club and they are normally tolerable, but this summer has been sucky. Many games I have been sweating in 200 level. Visiting the uppers and Ultra patio is absolute hell.
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
Julia has been a part of 21 champagne celebrations. That's wild.
spadilly
S
TK just mentioned that they would be doing postgame coverage on SCHN after the playoff games again this year.
cc10106
To join in, I miss when concessions didn't block so much of the field while *not* at my seat, but I don't spend much on them at games either.

/rabble rabble

Glad i was able to make it to the game last night. I doubt this team will spend much time reflecting on the regular season and their remarkable turnaround, but so many (including fans) counted them out way too soon. So much bulletin board material. It's been a lesson/reminder in simply how much things can change during six months of 162 games.
EaDoAg
AG
Going to be interesting to see how the rotation lines out.

I like the looks of this one:
1.Valdez
2.Brown
3.Blanco
4.Kikuchi

*Verlander just hasn't shown he is ready to count on since he's been back(but wouldn't be surprised if he gets an opportunity and lights it up)
*Arrighetti doesn't seem quite ready and his one big inning issues could really cost us. (could play a pivotal long relief roll at some point though)
Ag_07
AG
I think Farmer touched on it earlier but I think he posted about KC and MIN sucking big time against LHP

Therefore I wouldn't mind

Framber
Kikuchi
Brown (for WC GM 3 or lining up for ALDS GM 1)

Also...I don't expect JV to be on the WC roster. I could see the ALDS roster but no reason for him to on the WC roster.
Mathguy64
AG
Chicken and rice goes down swinging.
EaDoAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

I think Farmer touched on it earlier but I think he posted about KC and MIN sucking big time against LHP

Framber
Kikuchi

Also...I don't expect JV to be on the WC roster. I could see the ALDS roster but no reason for him to on the WC roster.

I was thinking the same thing about WC roster but the Detroit factor had me thinking differently. I also like Brown being ready for game 1 and with the way the schedule works out you'd have Framber game 2 on 5 days rest.
Ciboag96
Kikuchi at 74 pitches. Sheesh.
gambochaman
AG
kooch is shoving
Farmer1906
AG
EaDoAg said:

Ag_07 said:

Framber
Kikuchi

I was thinking the same thing about WC roster but the Detroit factor had me thinking differently. I also like Brown being ready for game 1 and with the way the schedule works out you'd have Framber game 2 on 5 days rest.

6 days rest actually.

If we win the WC in 2 games, we won't need a 4th starter until the CS.

I think Blanco becomes the piggyback starter if anyone doesn't have it or burns out early.
First Page Last Page
Page 1792 of 1812

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.