***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,531,510 Views | 63409 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by PrestigeWorldwideAg12
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Were they told to leave the field as soon as possible for their safety? Or told to leave the stadium altogether? I heard the former

In that dump, their safety is at risk just being in the building. The ownership can try to reason it however they want, there's definitely ulterior motives there. They don't want the players / managers to say anything publicly bad about the owner.
BMX Bandit
what the ulterior motive at play?

this is not a defense of the A's ownership, their sucking is well documented. but seems you are looking to create a controversy where one may not exist.

nothing wrong with "get off the field as fast as you can, the fans are going to storm the field"

thats completely different than "pack your stuff and get out of the building"
Wabs
AG
KC and ATL series this weekend should be interesting. Both teams fighting to get in as a WC.
BTKAG97
AG
Would love to see Houston win again this afternoon as it could potentially eliminate Seattle from playoff baseball if both Kansas City and Detroit win later tonight.

Detroit owns the head-to-head tiebreaker (5-1) and Kansas City owns the Intradivision tiebreaker (33-19 vs 31-21 assuming a sweep vs Oakland).

Quote:

2. Intradivision Record

If the head-to-head record is also a tie, then the involved clubs' records within their division will break the tie. This applies even if the tie is for a Wild Card spot between two teams that do not reside in the same division. The team with the superior intradivision record would win the tiebreaker.
Added - Minnesota also owns the head-to-head tiebreaker vs Seattle (5-2) so without breaking down the numbers in case of a 4-way (84-78) tie, it's safe to say Seattle would be the odd team out.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
BMX Bandit
kinda hope seattle sneaks in, only to lose to us again!

Prosperdick
AG

mwm
Yep. Been a fan since 1962 when they were the Colt .45s. We probably sat in the LF bleachers at the same time. Before that, it was the Buffs.

Winning never gets old. Some of the younger guys on here have never lived through the lean years that us old guys have (and, I hope they never do).
Mathguy64
AG
BMX Bandit said:

kinda hope seattle sneaks in, only to lose to us again!

Nope. I want no part of that pitching staff in a 3 game series.
Chef Elko
AG
I think the A's will play them tough and want to be a spoiler after the great second half of the season they've had.
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

The tears sustain me....

I like how it starts with their female broadcaster (of course they do) saying "three inches." I bet she doesn't even get that much.
Ciboag96
Prosperdick said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

The tears sustain me....

I like how it starts with their female broadcaster (of course they do) saying "three inches." I bet she doesn't even get that much.

Not only losing to the Astros again, but having to listen to that lady while contemplating self exsanguination? Id rip my manbun off if I was a Mariners fan.
Wabs
AG
It's been a minute since I've looked at the NL standings closely. I'll be a Padres fan for the next few days. They are 2 back of LA and they play them tonight and tomorrow. Still in the race for the division. That would be some funny **** right there.
FrioAg 00
AG
Go Padres!

And now I'm pulling for Detroit because I'd rather them stay on the other side of the bracket.

Mathguy64
AG
So right now the WC teams are:

4 seed Baltimore. They are 4 up with 5 to play. They close with 3 games at Minnesota which is huge.

5/6 seeds KC, detroit. Tied but KC has the tie breaker. They each have 5 to play. Detroit closes at home versus the 1962 Mets (White Sox). KC is at Atlanta who is fighting for their own WC spot.

Twins are 2 back with 5 to play. Close at home vs Baltimore.
Seattle is 2.5 back with 4 to play. They finish at home versus the homeless A's.

Seattle is all but dead. That loss last night not only sealed the Division but effectively doomed them in the WC. They absolutely need to win out and have the twins lose 4 of 5 AND have one of KC or Detroit lose 4 of 5. Fangraphs has them at 2.9%. Their only real hope is to win out and pray Atlanta sweeps KC and Baltimore tries against Minny.

I'm betting it finishes
4. Baltimore
5. Detroit
6. KC.
jr15aggie
AG
Farmer1906
AG
If Detriot is playing for their postseason life on the last day of the season, they're going to burn Skubal. If he pitches on the 29th, the earliest he could return is the 3rd on short rest. The Tiger could be eliminated without using their future 2024 Cy Young Winner.
Mathguy64
AG
Yes but it's the freaking White Sox.

I think Detroit will have a playoff spot locked up by that last game. The question is would they save Skubal snd risk losing to drop to the 6 seed but have him for the WC round in Game 1 or use him to get the 5 seed but not have him in the WC?

Comes down to who they want to play. At Baltimore or at Houston. 5 or 6 seed is on the road for 3 games either way.

If AJ is smart (and we know he is), he keeps Skubal in his back pocket and takes his chances on the last day if it comes to it.

Now if they have to win to make it, he's screwed and Skubal pitches.
Faustus
EastCoastAgNc said:

We shot the Mariners in Houston, just to watch them die.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Yes but it's the freaking White Sox.

I think Detroit will have a playoff spot locked up by that last game. The question is would they save Skubal snd risk losing to drop to the 6 seed but have him for the WC round in Game 1 or use him to get the 5 seed but not have him in the WC?

Comes down to who they want to play. At Baltimore or at Houston. 5 or 6 seed is on the road for 3 games either way.

If AJ is smart (and we know he is), he keeps Skubal in his back pocket and takes his chances on the last day if it comes to it.

Now if they have to win to make it, he's screwed and Skubal pitches.
100% if they clinch before the last game, they're saving Skubal for game 1 of the WC.
Farmer1906
AG
Looking into the Royals & Tigers a little bit and this jumped out at me. They're ass vs LHP.

KCR
89 wRC+ (22nd best)
.248 BA
.299 OBP
.389 SLG
.688 OPS

DET
88 wRC+ (24th best)
.229 BA
.296 OBP
.364 SLG
.659 OPS

Send out Framber & Koochi.
Mathguy64
AG
What does AJ do if they could get to the 4 seed? Basically Detroit has to win out and Baltimore has to lose out but Baltimore has been playing like dog poo for more than a month. Do you throw Skubal then? Because the 4 seed gets the 3 WC games at home.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Prosperdick
AG
RED AG 98 said:

1st team to win 4 in a row since 1971-74 A's
Managed by Dick Williams, who lived down the street from my mom who knew him well. She still follows the Astros at age 88 and we had a nice chat over the phone this morning. Although I lost my dad late in 2017 at least I still have her as a link to the past and who attended games when they were the Colt 45's with my dad.

And no, I was not named after him although I got to meet him after an Astros - Padres game in the early 80's, he was a super nice guy and a great manager who got screwed over by their terrible owner, Charlie Finley, who was a complete jack ass. Kinda ironic that the A's still suffer from terrible ownership.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The first tweet detroyed me but the following two made me feel a little better. I compare it to Tucker, he DEFINITELY was not "feeling a lot better" the next day (as we all know).
Farmer1906
AG
World Series Winner Odds - Caesars
LAD +350
PHI +425
NYY +450
HOU +700
CLE +900
SDP +900
BAL +1100
MIL +1800
ATL +2500
NYM +2800
ARI +3000 - this feels like a good value
KCR +3500
DET +4000
MIN +6000
SEA +50000
jkag89
jkag89 said:

linkdude said:

Game ending triple play with Ohtani on deck

Another view . . .

Love around the horn triple plays especially when the Effin' Dodgers lose.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

World Series Winner Odds - Caesars
LAD +350
PHI +425
NYY +450
HOU +700
CLE +900
SDP +900
BAL +1100
MIL +1800
ATL +2500
NYM +2800
ARI +3000 - this feels like a good value
KCR +3500
DET +4000
MIN +6000
SEA +50000
SDP at +900 is a nice number.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Surprised Salazar and Kessinger aren't playing today
jkag89
Yep, if I were a betting man I'd find the odds for the Friars intriguing, Heck, I might take a flyer on the Tigers.
agproducer
AG
They will be the late game moves. Would love to see Grae come in for Bregs after 3 ABs and Salazar for Caratini after 2.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Surprised Salazar and Kessinger aren't playing today
Caratini is Kikuchi's personal catcher.
htxag09
AG
A buddy of mine just sent me a rumor going around an Astros facebook group that naming rates of the stadium are about to change.....

Rumor is Daikin.

Quick google shows that the Minute Maid contract was through 2032, but assume they could buy out of the remainder of it.
Ag_07
AG
Bregs and Pena when Joe tried to tell them they're sitting today.

Dudes are gamers for sure
First Page Last Page
Page 1790 of 1812

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.