***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,432,353 Views | 61889 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by cc10106
Hornbeck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Turd Ferguson ain't it. Dude should be playing AAA.
tjack16
AG
linkdude said:

So Framber will go 7 innings, 1-2 runs and take the loss
gambochaman
AG
AgSportsFan89 said:

Pathetic approach tonight.

You mean this entire season
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck said:

Turd Ferguson ain't it. Dude should be playing AAA.

The Yankees knew exactly what they were doing when they sent us the Trojan Turd
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Win the game tonight and relieve a lot of stress. A loss tonight puts a little more pressure on the Astros.

With this offense a losing streak is not impossible. Just win tonight. Would be great to not have to use the best starters against Cleveland.
Ciboag96
Ag_07
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Would be great to not have to use the best starters against Cleveland.

Our best starters are pitching this series so they won't be available even if needed against Cleveland.
Boiling Denim
Astros have lost 9 of their last 11 against Seattle at MMP

How that success hasn't translated against literally any other team in the league still baffles me
texasaggie2015
AG
Hey guys, I normally don't do things like this but if you could send some prayers and good vibes my way it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go into too much detail but I'm getting some medical tests done and I'm currently in the weird waiting stage and I am beyond stressed out. Hoping for the best outcome.
BCEDAg
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Hey guys, I normally don't do things like this but if you could send some prayers and good vibes my way it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to go into too much detail but I'm getting some medical tests done and I'm currently in the weird waiting stage and I am beyond stressed out. Hoping for the best outcome.

Prayers lifted.
Mathguy64
AG
Yordan is beginning to look like Mike Trout. Immensely talented. And immensely fragile.
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Prayers for you, man. Hope all turns out well.
CFTXAG10
AG
Hoping we are just being extra cautious with Yordan's knee. We need him healthy, and capable of manning left field.

I am not worried about winning one of the next two, we will get it done. Mariners gonna Mariner.
gambochaman
AG
Wabs said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Prayers for you, man. Hope all turns out well.
prayers my friend, hope it all turns out for the best!
Ag_07
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Yordan is beginning to look like Mike Trout. Immensely talented. And immensely fragile.

Yordan is Cal Ripken Jr compared to Trout and it's not even close.

Since 2021 games played

Yordan - 144/135/114/147
Trout - 36/119/82/29

Yordan's games played numbers actually look better than I thought they were.
gambochaman
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I dunno man...Yordan doesnt miss half to 3/4 of the season every season....Trout is literally mr glass.

the answer here is simple...Win tonight to secure the division, then Yordan can rest until the WC series
Beat40
Bottom line for tonight and tomorrow is 1-6 have to hit. They've got to manage 5-6 hits and they can't all be singles.

Tough ask against Gilbert, and I assume Castillo, but, it's what needs to be done. Not going to win 1 against Seattle if those guys don't show up.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Since 2021 games played

Yordan - 144/135/114/147
Trout - 36/119/82/29

Just for my own curiosity I had to know.

Mike Trout in that span - 266 games played - $558,709/game
Yordan Alvarez in that span - 540 games played - $37,111/game

Yikes.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Since 2021 games played

Yordan - 144/135/114/147
Trout - 36/119/82/29

You just so happen to leave out the year Yordan missed entirely. Alavrez has issues. It's okay to admit it. He should be his healthiest in his 20s yet his knees fail him. There is a reason he only plays LF about 1/3 of the time and it's not just his poor defense.

Knowing this, we gotta give him regular rest, keep the DH spot for him, and be prepared to be without him for stretches. Maybe OF depth is more important for us than most teams.

We're 1 week from WC game 1 (assuming we don't have the all-time worst meltdown). Lets hope the knee sprain heals enough.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

The Canadians are getting restless
houag78
AG
While I didn't like the initial post (YA is my favorite), the OP may have a point. At this stage of Trouts career (first 5 years) he averaged over 150 games per year. Father Time has not been nice to him; let's hope Yordan fares better.
Hornbeck
AG
Jake Meyers and Chaz are available
wehnerhigh20
AG
The practical side of me knows we shouldn't/don't need to bring Springer back, but the nostalgic side of me wants him back in an Astros jersey
Ag_07
AG
He came up in 2019 so didn;t include that year and 2020 was the circus COVID year so I didn't include that either.

And I agree Yordan will miss chunks of games. I have no issue with that. Hell I'll take 145 GP for Yordan every season.

My only point was Yordan doesn't miss an absurd number of games and is not near as fragile as Trout is nowadays.
cc10106
Yeah but does George want to be back in Houston? Maybe not.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

The Canadians are getting restless
Time Machine:

2020-21 Offseason Post

Quote:

25 M for 2-3 would be fine. 25 M per year for 5-6, not so much. We need to play players for what we get not what they've done in the past.
Year - wRC+ - WAR
2021 - 140 - 2.6 (only 78 games)
2022 - 133 - 4.1
2023 - 104 - 1.8
--
2024 - 94 - 1.2

If 2025 & 2026 are anything like 2024, its a boat anchor contract.
cc10106
Seemed like we were too lucky with Yordan this season despite his lack of power at home for a while.

I'm glad the Astros got him for the price they did at the time.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
W
AG
all right, the Astros get another chance to clinch tonight

need shutout innings from Framber

the bats have struggled mightily against quality starting pitchers in recent weeks

couldn't touch Miller -- couldn't touch the Padres' starters

bring on Logan Gilbert
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Praying for you!
Farmer1906
AG
I know we like to hate on our team because the offense always stalls vs. no-name guys with 6 ERAs, but also very elite pitching.

I tried to put some data into it.

How have we faired vs the 10 best pitching teams - per WAR for the 2nd Half

Team rankings since July 1

Overall a 99 wRC+ ain't great. When you compare us to other playoff teams, it isn't that bad either.

NYY, BAL, KCR, DET, & CLE have all done worse.

One thing to note is the discrepancy is PA vs these top 10 teams. BOS has had 1402 PA while NYY has only had 427 PA. There might be a little bit of chicken and egg going on. Maybe NYY haven't faced elite teams the 2nd half because they have hit them well enough to knock them out of the top 10.

Regardless, I think it is safe to say we have a much lower opinion of our offense than what the #s show.

Overall we're 6th in wRC+ / 10th in Runs. 2nd half we're 8th in wRC+ / 14th in Runs. Sep/Oct we're 5th in wRC+ / 4th in Runs.
txags92
AG
Ciboag96 said:

Ask him to come convince them to quit swinging at sliders in the opposite batter's box.
RO519
AG
Prayers up for you sir. Glad to see you posting on this thread again.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I know we like to hate on our team because the offense always stalls vs. no-name guys with 6 ERAs, but also very elite pitching.

I tried to put some data into it.

How have we faired vs the 10 best pitching teams - per WAR for the 2nd Half

Team rankings since July 1

Overall a 99 wRC+ ain't great. When you compare us to other playoff teams, it isn't that bad either.

NYY, BAL, KCR, DET, & CLE have all done worse.

One thing to note is the discrepancy is PA vs these top 10 teams. BOS has had 1402 PA while NYY has only had 427 PA. There might be a little bit of chicken and egg going on. Maybe NYY haven't faced elite teams the 2nd half because they have hit them well enough to knock them out of the top 10.

Regardless, I think it is safe to say we have a much lower opinion of our offense than what the #s show.

Overall we're 6th in wRC+ / 10th in Runs. 2nd half we're 8th in wRC+ / 14th in Runs. Sep/Oct we're 5th in wRC+ / 4th in Runs.
I think we are generally ok against top pitching, except at home. We get absolutely killed by guys that are either brand new in the league or are objectively terrible (ERA of 4.5+) against the rest of the league. I hope to god seeing Altuve and Bregman take some pitches and draw walks put an idea in Cintron's little pea brain that maybe the way to get to some of these high end pitchers is to take pitches, drive up the pitch count, and maybe, just maybe to stop trying to pull outside sliders into the Crawford Boxes. Fouling off pitches to get a chance to see something better seems like a lost art by our hitters, along with walking and bunting.
Ag_07
AG
Prayers lifted up my man. Hope it all turns out well for you.

If you think it would help to talk feel free to reach out.
First Page Last Page
Page 1767 of 1769

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.