***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,166,261 Views | 58479 Replies | Last: 1 min ago by tjack16
SpaceCityAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good list...I would make a slight adjustment:
1. Yordan 2022 WS Game 6
2. Altuve 2019 ALCS Game 6
3. Yordan 2022 ALDS Game 1
4. Marwin 2017 WS Game 2
T5. Burke 2005 ALDS game 5
T5. Peña 2022 ALDS Game 3

I can't leave off the Yordan ALDS Game 1 walkoff that set the whole tone in a championship run (#1 & #3 are literally the bookends of a championship).

And while Burke's is more iconic (and was a true walkoff), both Burke and Peña had the exact same moment - an 18th inning HR to win a playoff series. Hence my giving a tie to 5th place.

The multiple HRs in Game 2 and Game 5 of the 2017 WS would be in the next set.
FrioAg 00
AG
Angels have tightened that game up, down only 5-7 to Seattle after starting the game 0-5

Edit: Aaaand immediately Seattle gets one back. 8-5.
Farmer1906
AG
2023 Game 5 Altuve should be on the list if we didn't choke games 6 & 7.
Bob Lee
AG
Farmer1906 said:

2023 Game 5 Altuve should be on the list if we didn't choke games 6 & 7.

Absolutely. Still one of those moments of pure joy even though we didn't get it done.
tjack16
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Without Yordan in the 2022 ALDS game 1 you don't get a WS.

I think you still do. We'd be 2-1 in the series and with how great our pitching was I'd bet we close it out in 4 or 5 against Seattle
Mathguy64
AG
tjack16 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Without Yordan in the 2022 ALDS game 1 you don't get a WS.

I think you still do. We'd be 2-1 in the series and with how great our pitching was I'd bet we close it out in 4 or 5 against Seattle

Lose game 1 and remember how close game 2 was? Now go to Seattle and they are energized and if they win game 3 it's a bad moment.

I honestly think that if Yordan doesn't crush their soul in game 1 that we don't get out of that series.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mariners win
The Porkchop Express
AG
Altuve goes 2 for 5 to tie Willie Wilson for #188 all-time in hits at 2,207.

Career double #424, tying him for #154 with the great Chili Davis. Chili had a lot better career than I remember. 2,380 hits,350 HR, 142 SB in 19 seasons.

Willie Wilson was one of my great early baseball card era fascinations. In 1980, his numbers were 1 million percent insane: 705 at bats, 133 runs, 230 hits, 15 triples, 79 stolen bases, .326 average. He led the league in triples 5 times, including an insane 21 in 1985.
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

1. Yordan 2022 WS Game 6
3. Marwin 2017 WS Game 2
4. Any of the 2017 WS game 5 homeruns
5. Burke 2005 ALDS game 5
So glad I was there in person for #1. That ticket hurt my wallet like hell but that was the best grand I ever spent
Faustus
At least Tucker bruised his shin in early June and he looks likely to return in the regular season.

Correa's facetious planter cropped up again on the other foot (both feet had shoes) just before the Twin's 7/13 game under the guise of a bruised heel.

https://twinsdaily.com/news-rumors/minnesota-twins/carlos-correa-injury-timeline-playoffs-plantar-fasciitis/

Quote:

. . . Correa was having one of the best seasons of his career. He was on a scorching midsummer heater -- slashing .360/.418/.596 in his previous 35 games -- when he was scratched from the lineup 90 minutes ahead of game time on Jul. 13 with a bruised heel. Days later, he was diagnosed with the dreaded plantar fasciitis, which severely diminished his play for most of last season, albeit on the other foot.

Correa and the team initially expressed optimism that this would be a less serious ordeal.
. . .
Sadly, their optimism was misgiven. This has developed into one of the most significant injuries of Correa's career, threatening to shut down his amazing age-29 season and cast long-term concern for a foot that was a subject of much scrutiny during Correa's free-agent odyssey.
. . .
Correa admitted to reporters last weekend that he experienced a "minor setback" earlier this month, and still wasn't able to run at full speed or in cleats.

In his Wednesday article for The Athletic, Dan Hayes shared that, per a Twins source, "Buxton [is] much closer to rejoining the big-league club than the All-Star Correa, who is making only incremental progress."
. . .
If Buxton is considered "much closer" to returning than Correa, and he's not even poised to start a rehab assignment until the first week of September, what does that imply? We're running out of time for "incremental progress" to result in a return to play. Reading between the lines, it feels like the Twins are shifting their objective from trying to get Correa back for a late-season push to getting him back for the actual playoffs, in some capacity, if they're able to get there.
. . .
At this point, that seems to be our best hope. Unfortunately, it's time to come to grips with the reality that Correa probably is not going to make it back to have much of an influence on the outcome of the regular season.

They'll know they've hit rock bottom if he breaks a bone during a domestic foot massage.
Prosperdick
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Mariners win
I like to think of it this way "Damn, I'm sure glad we won tonight and didn't lose a full game." If we both keep winning eventually things will take care of themselves and we'll both be in the playoffs.
txaggie02
AG
Incredible game tonight! Took the boy and it was quite an eventful day at the juice box.

Got to meet one of our own, Michael Wacha, who was kind enough to sign a card for Riley.

Also got to meet and get an autograph from Cole Ragans.

We sat on the 11th row behind the third base dugout. After the second inning, the Royals second baseman, Maikel Garcia, threw a ball over the protective screen and all the way up towards our section. Riley was standing in the aisle and made an incredible catch amongst a bunch of others also trying to get a souvenir ball. Everybody around us gave him a huge applause. Cool moment.

Heck of an ending and fireworks show to top it all off.
CatD11Ag
AG
Great photos and thanks for posting. Love the shot of Wacha and cool he signed for your son. Still have my Wacha Cardinals jersey.
Prosperdick
AG
txaggie02 said:

Incredible game tonight! Took the boy and it was quite an eventful day at the juice box.

Got to meet one of our own, Michael Wacha, who was kind enough to sign a card for Riley.

Also got to meet and get an autograph from Cole Ragans.

We sat on the 11th row behind the third base dugout. After the second inning, the Royals second baseman, Maikel Garcia, threw a ball over the protective screen and all the way up towards our section. Riley was standing in the aisle and made an incredible catch amongst a bunch of others also trying to get a souvenir ball. Everybody around us gave him a huge applause. Cool moment.

Heck of an ending and fireworks show to top it all off.

Wacha wacha wacha....sorry, I'll always think of Pac-Man.
Chef Elko
AG
linkdude said:

Tack on another
BadAggie
AG

KUCHI

BadAggie
AG
73-62
4.0 games back of Wild Card bye (Tribe).
4.0 games lead in AL West (Seamen).
0.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot (Twins).

Faustus
BadAggie said:

73-62
4.0 games back of Wild Card bye (Tribe).
4.0 games lead in AL West (Seamen).
0.5 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot (Twins).
. . ,

It was edgy and on point for the character 30+ years ago when Smithers said Seamen and women don't mix in the King Kong Simpsons episode. It's kind of funny that regardless of how old we get we never have to grow up.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Prosperdick said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Mariners win
I like to think of it this way "Damn, I'm sure glad we won tonight and didn't lose a full game." If we both keep winning eventually things will take care of themselves and we'll both be in the playoffs.

I don't want them to make the playoffs though
FrioAg 00
AG
Their schedule the rest of the way looks really easy.

7 games against the As, 7 games against the Rangers in the last 2 weeks once Arlington has given up, and a 3 game series against St Luis.

(1) we need to keep winning and (2) is like to see us get a couple games ahead on the wild card cutoff too
cone
AG
how can you not be romantic about baseball
ttha_aggie_09
AG
If I am remembering correctly, the Mariners sealed the Rangers wildcard fate last year despite being out of playoff contention. Maybe they'll return the favor this year
3B Paul 97
AG
I guess you would have to go Scott-Neris-Pressly for 7-8-9 in the pen today to give Abreu and Hader a day off.

Does Scott also get the third out in the 6th?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Sucks for KC but this is funny

iBrad
AG
Hader picked up his 14th decision on the season and is now 7-7.
Marvin
AG
iBrad said:

Hader picked up his 14th decision on the season and is now 7-7.

Yeah, that blown save stat was impressive and misleading at the same time.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
agproducer
AG
dixichkn said:

Quote:

1. Yordan 2022 WS Game 6
3. Marwin 2017 WS Game 2
So glad I was there in person for #1. That ticket hurt my wallet like hell but that was the best grand I ever spent

So much this. I've adopted the mindset that the money will always come back. The experience won't.

Pay the money and go. It's worth it.
tjack16
AG
agproducer said:

dixichkn said:

Quote:

1. Yordan 2022 WS Game 6
3. Marwin 2017 WS Game 2

So much this. I've adopted the mindset that the money will always come back. The experience won't.

Pay the money and go. It's worth it.

I do wish I could get the money back for my WS game 7 2019 and 2023 ALCS Game 7 tickets though

But overall you're 100% right. Very rarely have I regretted the experience (those two times excluded)
houag78
AG
Should've left Greinke in…
tjack16
AG

This was a fun video to stumble upon today. It starts to get really fun at the 12:50 mark
The Porkchop Express
AG
That 2015 wild card game is like visiting the early days of man. Gregorson, Rasmus, and Gomez leading the charge!
W
AG
14 decisions is a lot for Hader

he has 55 career decisions in 8 seasons

25% of them have come in 2024 (14 of 55)
rosco511
AG
houag78 said:

Or bring in Cole
tjack16
AG
rosco511 said:

houag78 said:

Or bring in Cole

Being at the game I was hoping Greinke would finish the 6th and we were up 2-0. Then Cole gets the start of the 7th and goes hopefully the distance but at the very least the 7/8th

But AJ brought Greinke out for the 7th and at that point the chance of seeing Cole went down a lot
First Page Last Page
Page 1559 of 1671

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.