***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,280,059 Views | 60224 Replies | Last: 41 min ago by txags92
Beau Holder
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
redline248 said:

Quote:

when he felt he had to produce just to play
Chandler still taking shots at Dusty

Good.
Booma94
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I would have called myself crazy for saying this a few months ago, but I'd put Tucker 5th. The top 4 are going too good right now to mess with them, and Alvarez 2nd clearly failed in the start of the year.
This is defintely a point to keep in mind...
Farmer1906
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Diaz
Pena

but I've always been a fan of Tucker batting 2nd...
Bregs is hot, but he's proven time and again he's not a 3-hole hitter. Don't mess with what's working, especially in the height of it working.

I agree with the guy above. Tucker 5th and move them around if some start to cool off.
There is no magic about where you hit in the order. Bregman's highest OPS lineup spot is 7th (.956). Should we move him down in the order? He's batted everywhere from 1st to 9th in his career. His OPS ranges from .815 to .956. He's excelled everywhere because he's a good player.
Farmer1906
AG
Booma94 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

I would have called myself crazy for saying this a few months ago, but I'd put Tucker 5th. The top 4 are going too good right now to mess with them, and Alvarez 2nd clearly failed in the start of the year.
This is defintely a point to keep in mind...
We have very different definitions of failure.

2 Hole
.449 xwOBA
93.2 EV
18 LA
48.1 HH%
12.4 Barrel%
12.4% K%

3 Hole
.400 xwOBA
92.9 EV
19 LA
48.0 HH%
10.2 Barrel%
16.4% K%
Ag_07
AG
Because you're using expected numbers and Statcast batted ball data that don't really count for anything.

What do his actual production numbers look like?
tjack16
AG
Altuve - 2B
Tucker - RF
Bregman - 3B
Alvarez - LF
Diaz - DH
Pena - SS
Caratini - C
Meyers - CF
Dezenzo - 1B

That's my lineup
Honolulu Blue
Even with bregman on a hot streak, I feel his GIDP potential is too high to have him at 3. Feels like altuve and Tucker could set the stage at the top of then lineup, and then you would want Yordan up.
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
Let's see if we can win another with a six-man lineup.
Wabs
AG
I guess Dezenzo isn't ready for a shot in LF....
AggiEE
More McCorm-ick….
TarponChaser
n_touch said:

Quote:

In general there is a lot of luck and variance in situational hitting, but coaches say Yainer Diaz really has refined his approach and minimized big moments better than he did last season, when he felt he had to produce just to play
Amazing what happens when you get more at bats

Really, the money shot from that piece and what consistently rears its head is not having that approach with RISP or like last night in the top of the 8th when we had the bases loaded with 1 out and needing insurance runs. Then, there was a game that I believe we lost last week where we had the bases loaded twice in the game with less than 2 outs and left all the runners stranded each time.

This is the antithesis of that:
In response, Diaz is determined to stay in the middle of the field and allow breaking pitches to get deeper before swinging. Staying inside of the fastballs he sees prevents Diaz from becoming too pull-happy. It sacrifices some power Diaz has just 12 home runs after hitting 23 last season but allows him to be a more complete hitter.
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

Because you're using expected numbers and Statcast batted ball data that don't really count for anything.

What do his actual production numbers look like?

You're right. How you hit the ball and how often you strike out don't matter.
Mr.Ackar07
TarponChaser said:

n_touch said:

Quote:

In general there is a lot of luck and variance in situational hitting, but coaches say Yainer Diaz really has refined his approach and minimized big moments better than he did last season, when he felt he had to produce just to play
Amazing what happens when you get more at bats

Really, the money shot from that piece and what consistently rears its head is not having that approach with RISP or like last night in the top of the 8th when we had the bases loaded with 1 out and needing insurance runs. Then, there was a game that I believe we lost last week where we had the bases loaded twice in the game with less than 2 outs and left all the runners stranded each time.

This is the antithesis of that:
In response, Diaz is determined to stay in the middle of the field and allow breaking pitches to get deeper before swinging. Staying inside of the fastballs he sees prevents Diaz from becoming too pull-happy. It sacrifices some power Diaz has just 12 home runs after hitting 23 last season but allows him to be a more complete hitter.

I believe Meyers came up to bat in both of those situations with 1 out and struck out both times.
txags92
AG
Wabs said:

I guess Dezenzo isn't ready for a shot in LF....
I am just happy to see him continue to get playing time.
redline248
AG
AggiEE said:

More McCorm-ick….
Why exclude Dubon, who has more PA, recently, and is as bad - if not worse?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

AggiEE said:

More McCorm-ick….

At least dubon started the season well. At one point you could argue he was our best bat with RISP. Chas has sucked the whole season
Heineken-Ashi
Farmer1906 said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Diaz
Pena

Bregs is hot, but he's proven time and again he's not a 3-hole hitter. Don't mess with what's working, especially in the height of it working.

I agree with the guy above. Tucker 5th and move them around if some start to cool off.
There is no magic about where you hit in the order. Bregman's highest OPS lineup spot is 7th (.956). Should we move him down in the order? He's batted everywhere from 1st to 9th in his career. His OPS ranges from .815 to .956. He's excelled everywhere because he's a good player.
Most of the season? Yes. Right now? Leave him at 2 until it stops working.

There might not be magic, but career result show 3 is NOT his place, because he changes his approach away from waiting on the right pitch to trying to force the action. AND with Tucker healthy, Bregman is the perfect setup man to get to the meat of the order.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
txags92
AG
tjack16 said:

redline248 said:

AggiEE said:

More McCorm-ick….

At least dubon started the season well. At one point you could argue he was our best bat with RISP. Chas has sucked the whole season
Which makes it all the more inexplicable why Chas hasn't been either sent down or given an extended stay on the bench until he figures out how to not swing at everything thrown within 2 feet of the plate. Continuing to send him up there night after night isn't accomplishing anything. He needs to find a slumpbuster or something...
Farmer1906
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Farmer1906 said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Diaz
Pena

There might not be magic, but career result show 3 is NOT his place, because he changes his approach away from waiting on the right pitch to trying to force the action.

So an OPS in the 800s is not good?
W
AG
yeesh, that outfield is dreadful

5 years ago...Springer, Brantley, and Reddick were the starting outfielders

with dashes of Yordan and Marisnick thrown in
W
AG
Royals (66-55) salvage the finale vs. the Twins (67-53)
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Heineken-Ashi
Farmer1906 said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Farmer1906 said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Diaz
Pena

There might not be magic, but career result show 3 is NOT his place, because he changes his approach away from waiting on the right pitch to trying to force the action.

So an OPS in the 800s is not good?
Batting 3rd probably doesn't have enough data, but the limited time wasn't good. And batting 4th was abysmal. Though it would be interesting to see if he had enough at bats at each, with each spot in the order split between first two months and rest of the season. Because he pretty much sucks no matter where he bats in April and May. But I still think it has more to do with his approach. He has protecting in front and behind when batting 2nd. Later than that, and his approach changes to trying to force RBI's instead of waiting on the right pitch.

Edit: Wrong screenshot. Dont think yall care about SLV trading here lol

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
redline248
AG
tjack16 said:

redline248 said:

AggiEE said:

More McCorm-ick….

Ok. What have you done for me lately?

Farmer1906
AG
.252 BA
.366 OBP
.450 SLG

Career in the 3 hole over 1200 PA.
Heineken-Ashi
Farmer1906 said:

.252 BA
.366 OBP
.450 SLG

And what years did most of those at bats come in? What was the makeup of the rest of the order? What was his overall production in those years?

I don't really want a guy who gets on base a lot with a mediocre average in the meat of our lineup when we have Yordan and Tucker available who make harder contact at a better clip and dont ground into as many DP's.

BadAggie
AG
txags92 said:

tjack16 said:

redline248 said:

AggiEE said:

More McCorm-ick….

Which makes it all the more inexplicable why Chas hasn't been either sent down or given an extended stay on the bench until he figures out how to not swing at everything thrown within 2 feet of the plate. Continuing to send him up there night after night isn't accomplishing anything. He needs to find a slumpbuster or something...

Chas-san you sad?

Farmer1906
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Farmer1906 said:

.252 BA
.366 OBP
.450 SLG

And what years did most of those at bats come in? What was the makeup of the rest of the order? What was his overall production in those years?

I don't really want a guy who gets on base a lot with a mediocre average in the meat of our lineup when we have Yordan and Tucker available who make harder contact at a better clip and dont ground into as many DP's.
So he forgot how to hit in the 3-hole?

Nerds figured out the 2 hole is more important than the 3 hole. As well as the 4 hole too. You actually should prefer the on base guy there.
Heineken-Ashi
Farmer1906 said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Farmer1906 said:

.252 BA
.366 OBP
.450 SLG

So he forgot how to hit in the 3-hole?

Nerds figured out the 2 hole is more important than the 3 hole. As well as the 4 hole too. You actually should prefer the on base guy there.
I do prefer him in the 2 hole. In fact, I argued that for the first two months despite most of this board favoring him in the meat spots. Your original question asked me if he should be 7. And if performs like he did early in the year, the answer was yes. If he performs like his standard career numbers and numbers from the last 3 months, he should be 2. Right now, he's killing it in 2 and should stay there unless he starts to become unproductive for multiple weeks or more. When Tucker comes back, I think you put him 5 if the top 4 in the lineup are still producing well. If Yainer starts to drift back to his stats from before he heated up, you move Tucker to 4.

Beat40
Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Diaz
Pena

The funny thing is, if you actually look at what position in the order Bergman has batted for the Astros, you'd find he's batted primarily in the 3rd or 4th positions. Last season is the only season he spent the majority of the year in the 2nd hole.

So it's funny to me when people say he isn't a 3- or 4-hole hitter when he's literally batted in that position every year since 2017 except for last year. And that's with the most data forward thinking organization in AJ Hinch and Jeff Lunhow.

Where he should bat this year is a different question, but it actually ridiculous to say he can't bat in the 3- or 4- hole. You'd have to ignorant of his career to say he can't do it.
txags92
AG
BadAggie said:

txags92 said:

tjack16 said:

redline248 said:

AggiEE said:

More McCorm-ick….

Chas-san you sad?

Heineken-Ashi
Beat40 said:

Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

Altuve
Tucker
Bregman
Yordan
Diaz
Pena

The funny thing is, if you actually look at what position in the order Bergman has batted for the Astros, you'd find he's batted primarily in the 3rd or 4th positions. Last season is the only season he spent the majority of the year in the 2nd hole.

So it's funny to me when people say he isn't a 3- or 4-hole hitter when he's literally batted in that position every year since 2017 except for last year. And that's with the most data forward thinking organization in AJ Hinch and Jeff Lunhow.

Where he should bat this year is a different question, but it actually ridiculous to say he can't bat in the 3- or 4- hole. You'd have to ignorant of his career to say he can't do it.

You have to go back to 3 and 4 seasons ago to find him batting 3rd and 4th extensively. And he was pretty good those years. But current Bregman is a very productive 2 hole hitter and an awful 4 hole hitter. And my main argument about keeping him out of 3 is not that he would suck there, but that he'd be the third best option for the role where you want someone driving in runs. He's doing great where he is for the player that he is right now. Don't screw it up.

First Page Last Page
Page 1379 of 1721

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.