***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,218,399 Views | 59159 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by 3B Paul 97
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
key wildcard series between the Royals and Twins this week

Astros can close the gap on those teams with wins in Tampa
W
AG
speaking of the Twins...

Carlos is still struggling with a foot injury

having a great year for Minnesota, but missed 40 games already

will probably max out at 110 games played or so
Mathguy64
AG
Also we play one of the two "extra" games that Seattle has played. They went 1-1 so here is a chance to pick up a half game on them tonight.
Farmer1906
AG
Yall are too quick to move on from Yainer. He was elite at gunning down runners last year, is well above average blocking balls, and seems to have excelled this year at managing both vets and young guns. That said, there is nothing wrong with 2 catchers. Look how often Caratini and Diaz are in the lineup together recently. Look at the Braves 2 headed monster. KC is getting the most from Salvy by pairing with Fermin. Look how we won our title with McCann & Gattis. We went from black hole to feeling very good about the position for the next 6 years. Things change quickly.
AggiEE
W said:

with regard to another Astros contract for Bregman...

remember that Yordan becomes a $26 MM player in 2026, and Javier becomes a $21 MM pitcher in 2026

throw in Hader, Lance, and Altuve...

and those 5 players combine for about $117 MM in payroll for the 2026 season

and where are Tucker and Framber?

Bregman's contract needs to consider the entirety of his big league performance, how it's trending, what his age is, etc

Last thing we need to do is hop on the recency bias bandwagon

7 years is insane to me, 3 years and 60M with player opt outs is ideal, maybe stretch to his age 35 season but no way I'm going 7 years

gigemJTH12
AG
problem is....somebody will.
Farmer1906
AG
Before his last 2 starts, Taj Bradley had a sub 2.5 ERA and a .185 BA against. He's been touched up a little for 9 ER in 92 IP vs STL & MIA. I am interested in seeing how lefty Espada puts the lineup.

Here is how we've faired against 4seam, splits, & cutters from RHP.

Farmer1906
AG
AggiEE said:

W said:

remember that Yordan becomes a $26 MM player in 2026, and Javier becomes a $21 MM pitcher in 2026

Bregman's contract needs to consider the entirety of his big league performance, how it's trending, what his age is, etc

7 years is insane to me, 3 years and 60M with player opt outs is ideal, maybe stretch to his age 35 season but no way I'm going 7 years

I think we're on the same page, but, no, it needs to be based on how you think he will perform.
AggiEE
Farmer1906 said:

AggiEE said:

W said:

I think we're on the same page, but, no, it needs to be based on how you think he will perform.

The only real estimate of how you think he will perform are his overall stats and how they have changed over time and what you expect them to trend going forward

I'm just saying we shouldn't look at August 2024 Bregman and sign him to a colossal deal based on that
Project Gemini
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

problem is....somebody will.
Its not a problem for us for someone else to overpay him. Our problem would be finding a replacement at a price and skill level we like.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
In some ways, Yainer is like a young Schwarber - not quite as good of a bat, but better defensively. I think he can ultimately plug C, 1B, LF, and DH.

If Janek turns out to be outstanding, I can easily see a situation where you roll out Janek at C 4 games a week with Yainer playing other spots, and Yainer behind the dish for the other 2-3 games.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Yall are too quick to move on from Yainer. He was elite at gunning down runners last year, is well above average blocking balls, and seems to have excelled this year at managing both vets and young guns. That said, there is nothing wrong with 2 catchers. Look how often Caratini and Diaz are in the lineup together recently. Look at the Braves 2 headed monster. KC is getting the most from Salvy by pairing with Fermin. Look how we won our title with McCann & Gattis. We went from black hole to feeling very good about the position for the next 6 years. Things change quickly.

I think it would be much easier to find a Yainer at first base than a replacement for Yainer as catcher... if that makes sense.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Honolulu Blue
I'm not advocating for a position change now. I'm saying why some feel it may happen in the future. And it's not a knock on Diaz. If anything, it's a compliment. Since Yuli's departure, the Astros have had a blackhole of production at first base. The Astros have several upcoming contracts they are going to have to navigate. From my understanding, there is no slam dunk 1B in the pipeline. The Astros would like to avoid going out an overpaying for another 1B free agent if they could.

Thus, Yanier getting some experience at 1B could help fill an important role for the Astros, while giving his legs some relative rest. The other posters comment on a promising minor league catcher only adds to that discussion.

Edit to add: I'm new here, not sure why that emoji displayed or how to undo

Edit to add again: if some 1B stud prospect rose through the ranks, that would completely change the calculus. Its more a comment on 1B and catcher depth rather than Yanier, who is a good defensive catcher, with no experience at first base, a good offensive catcher who woud project as an average first base.
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
The Porkchop Express
AG
W said:

key wildcard series between the Royals and Twins this week

Astros can close the gap on those teams with wins in Tampa
Suddenly it's 1987 in here.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All the games in Tampa start at 650pm. I feel like they do that specifically just to try and screw with visiting teams heads. Start close to but not quite when you usually do elsewhere.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
YellAg2004
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Gay
texasaggie2015
AG
I remember when they made the change (2022 I believe) it was just for weekday games and the reason was to encourage families to come out knowing they would be home a little earlier on school/worknights.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Harry Dunne
W said:

speaking of the Twins...

Carlos is still struggling with a foot injury

having a great year for Minnesota, but missed 40 games already

will probably max out at 110 games played or so
That's too bad, because he had played 80%+ of his team's games going back to his contract year here and I was hoping for his sake that he had finally figured out a way to keep himself healthy.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Looks to still be favoring one leg
Bobcat-Ag
EastCoastAgNc said:

I thought he was performing well at 1B. Is this just position flexibility?
texasaggie2015
AG
This stuff happens all the time
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Zach sits
Honolulu Blue
Not saying I agree with Espada, but a day to reset for a rookie who went 0-5 isn't unreasonable.
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
linkdude
AG
Joe's not afraid to PH, though. Caratini and Dezenzo will be options, no doubt.
Farmer1906
AG
Because Singleton is a much better match up. I'm shocked no Caratini tho.
texasaggie2015
AG
I would have almost guaranteed Caratini would be in there today
txags92
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

He needs to stay away from those San Antonio women coming down to the beach in Corpus...
tjack16
AG
Urgh Chas…
Farmer1906
AG
BadAggie
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Well, it is Arlington.

Astros swept Boston so hard Red Sox started committing hate crimes

First Page Last Page
Page 1360 of 1691

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.