***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,342,364 Views | 60851 Replies | Last: 48 min ago by JB!98
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

So who's ready to resign Yoosay?

Jim gonna back that brinks truck up.

But seriously if he can keep this up what's he gonna fetch as a FA?

2 years 22M
I'm not saying this is smart or right of whoever signs him, but I bet it'll be closer to 40M.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

2 years 22M
I'm not saying this is smart or right of whoever signs him, but I bet it'll be closer to 40M.
It probably won't be too dissimilar from what he's signed before.

3-43 & 3-36. Maybe 2 for 30 with a club option for 1 more at 15.
Kashchei
AG
Beau Bevers said:

All-time record is 142-144. Would be tied if we don't give up the homer Monday night.

We'll be over .500 next year then
EastCoastAgNc
AG
SpaceCityAg05
AG
IF he performs down the stretch the ways the Astros imagine based on the acquisition (not ace level, obviously, but take the ball every fifth day and allow 2-3 runs over 5-6 innings) and his past history for consistent output, I think I would be comfortable giving him 2/30 with a club option.

Under no situation would I give him 3+ years or 20+ million/yr.

He is middle aged and knocking on the door of being old by the end of his next contract, but has been extremely consistent and reliable (albeit in mediocre fashion for a lot of it). That has value, especially when carrying a lot of young and/or fragile arms in the rotation.

Since we failed to acquire a controllable arm, we are going to have to pay for SP depth on the free agent market, so if we get a comfort level with Kikuchi down the stretch, you could do worse.

When it comes to FA, I would much rather sign the less sexy arm that doesn't require a long term commitment than make the risky flashy signing.
Prosperdick
AG
Fantastic seeing us take the series, especially on a sunset cruise in St Thomas and in honor of the Rangerettes here's a pic of Pedo Island aka Epstein Island.

tjack16
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

2 years 22M

If be okay with 2/30 … that third year has been the issue with many of our signings
MaxPower
Not true, we have plenty who start sucking before the ink is even dry
tjack16
AG
MaxPower said:

Not true, we have plenty who start sucking before the ink is even dry

True. But I meant the guys we signed to three-year deals that we wanted to cut in year two… So we still have to pay them for another year even though they're not on the team.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Harry Dunne said:

AggiEE said:

Ag_07 said:

2 years 22M

That sounds about right, but I'd even be willing to bet the over on that.
W
AG
tap the brakes...

how much do you want to pay for a 5-inning starter?

in both of his starts, the Astros have had to use 4 relievers
Frok
AG
Went to turn on the game tonight and realized it already happened. Did NOT pay attention last night as to what time today's game was.
Farmer1906
AG
W said:

tap the brakes...

That's completely normal now.
Harry Dunne
W said:

tap the brakes...

There's a big difference between how much I want to pay for him and how much I think he's going to get.
MaxPower
W said:

tap the brakes...

Less than a 6 inning starter?
Beau Holder
AG
I think having to use four today also had a bit to do with Yordan in the outfield and Scott's exhaustion, to be fair.

That lead stays at 4+ and we maybe see Ort for more than three outs or don't bring in Abreu or something.
halfastros81
AG
Huh? Is this sarcastic ? Resign a guy that hasn't thrown a ML pitch in forever versus a guy that has been pretty effective.

I liked healthy Lance but he hasn't been healthy in a long,
Long time.

I'm not saying Kikuchi should be a resign target at this point but so far so good. It wouldn't be the first time the Astros have renovated a pitcher from so-so to pretty good tho

Missed the winky emoji. My bad
Ag_07
AG
Well he did post it with a wink emoji

No one anywhere is signing Lance to anything except maybe as a clubhouse barista.
DoitBest
S
Mr.Bond said:

Anyone know what got said on the "Silver Boot" thread that got it disappeared?
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Pitchers who go seven are now the exception, not the rule, even among quality starters. Hell, I don't think Blake Snell had ever even gone 8 innings in a start a single time in his career before his no-hitter a few days ago - and he is someone who gets talked about for Cy Young Awards. As an old school guy, I don't have to like it, but it is where baseball is now.

More important for a back half of the rotation starter is number of starts per season. Kikuchi and pitchers that actually take the ball 30+ times every season have extreme value the more and more we see pitchers fall by the wayside due to max effort injuries.

The only reason I didn't like the Kikuchi trade was the price for a "mediocre" rental - if he had remaining control I would have been thrilled as he definitely adds value.
Harry Dunne
SpaceCityAg05 said:

More important for a back half of the rotation starter is number of starts per season. Kikuchi and pitchers that actually take the ball 30+ times every season have extreme value the more and more we see pitchers fall by the wayside due to max effort injuries.
Case in point, Lance.
Farmer1906
AG
It might be time to redefine what kind of rental it is.

SpaceCityAg05
AG
I love Lance and he will forever be an Astros legend for 2017, but long-term money tied up in a pitcher who is unable to take the ball is a killer for roster construction.

Young arms that go down to Tommy John only hurt for immediate roster provision, but there is no opportunity cost. In fact, those guys often come back better.

But when you give deals to pitchers who don't pitch, it hamstrings you in bad ways. It's why even a guy with a pedigree like Verlander should never get another multi-year deal. At this point, he has to be year to year for whoever is paying him.
Beau Holder
AG
Wenceel Perez with a leadoff bomb off of Kirby.
Honolulu Blue
Bligh Madris doing more for the stros during his Tiger era than he did his entire Astros era
John 6 22:59 The Bread of Life Discourse
Harry Dunne
Honolulu Blue said:

Bligh Madris doing more for the stros during his Tiger era than he did his entire Astros era
I wish it had worked out for him here. That's an all-time great name.
JT05
AG
Caught my first game at PNC tonight. Great stadium.
txags92
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

I love Lance and he will forever be an Astros legend for 2017, but long-term money tied up in a pitcher who is unable to take the ball is a killer for roster construction.

Young arms that go down to Tommy John only hurt for immediate roster provision, but there is no opportunity cost. In fact, those guys often come back better.

But when you give deals to pitchers who don't pitch, it hamstrings you in bad ways. It's why even a guy with a pedigree like Verlander should never get another multi-year deal. At this point, he has to be year to year for whoever is paying him.
I think the emphasis on spin rate with power and the resulting surge in TJ surgery for relatively young guys is going to lead to major changes in how contracts are structured in the future. As you say, having 10s of millions locked away in guys who are out for a year or more at a time is devastating to a payroll structure. I wonder if the teams will push for a change in how long term deals treat guys who are physically unable to play for long durations in the next bargaining agreement?
Faustus
W said:

but that's what Jake does

and it adds up to a woeful .683 OPS for the season

He's elite defensively though in CF. Dubon is at a woeful .686 too.

It doesn't make their numbers any better, but it's a little funny Adolis Garcia has been worse with a .655 OPS, and their slugging percentages all range from .380 to .390, with Meyers almost up a tenth at .390.

Before tonight Meyers had a 1.4 bWAR, Dubon a .6 bWAR, and Garcia a -.2 bWAR.

Lots of players each team have under performed and somewhat less over performed, but those comparisons at least are fun for one night.
spadilly
S
That's the road series we decided to go to next season. Can't wait!
W
AG
Skubal as good as advertised

goes 7 innings vs. the Mariners

exits with the lead
W
AG
it makes you wonder where have all the hitters gone

the Astros, Rangers, Mariners...the bottom halves of their lineups are awful. Just littered with .600 to .700 OPS hitters

so many guys that don't excel at anything at the plate

don't hit for average
don't draw walks
don't hit for power
Farmer1906
AG
Balls aren't as good. Most players are getting 2021 type balls it seems. Pitching keeps evolving as well.
linkdude
AG
Take a look at Atlanta's offense. On a context neutral rate basis, they're 10 percent worse than us by wRC+ (96 vs 106). But to your point, 3 out of the bottom 10 offenses are in the AL West, and 7 out of the top 12 are in the NL (although the top 2 are Baltimore and NYY).

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/major-league?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2024&month=0&season1=2024&ind=0&team=0%2Cts&sortcol=17&sortdir=default&pagenum=1
Chrundle the Great
AG
Tigers just robbed a seamen 2 run hr in the 8th
First Page Last Page
Page 1328 of 1739

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.