***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,274,084 Views | 60155 Replies | Last: 24 sec ago by Hornbeck
txags92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I'll say this. I never expected a dead serious comparison of Joey Loperfido and Yordan Alvarez
He was responding to me and I actually thought he was a Rangers fan trolling the thread. I liked Joey's game and wish we would have gotten to see more of him before giving him away, but the over the top predictions for his future were a bit much.
Ag_07
AG
This

Time to do deals is the offseason because no one is going to trade during the season when they can just wait until the deadline and get a bigger haul.

txags92
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I will say… if this thread is melting down this much about what they paid in the Kikuchi trade I can't even imagine the meltdown if they made more moves in this market.
I think the main complaint isn't so how much we gave up, but what we actually got in return for it. If we fix Kikuchi and he becomes a key piece towards us making a run to finish the season, it will be "Joey who?". But if Kikuchi turns out to be a Montero-esque gas can that can't go 5+ in most of his starts, we will wonder why we gave up Joey and Bloss' future potential for a short term rental of a known commodity that wasn't significantly better in the end.
cc10106
Astros fans love their fan favorites, especially rookies, and Loperfido is the most favorite I can remember in a while. He seemed pretty bummed in his interview about leaving Houston, but this may be a better opportunity for him along with Wagner.

I'm excited for Dezenzo and Matthews potentially becoming our corner infielders of the future that can slug.
tremble
AG
Ag_07 said:

This

Time to do deals is the offseason because no one is going to trade during the season when they can just wait until the deadline and get a bigger haul.

That depends. At some point the seller has to really think about whether they stay pat during the deadline or they try and get something for a guy who's leaving anyway next season. Maybe we could have left one of Wagner/Joey off the trade if we had waited another day. Tough to say.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

I don't think Loperfido will be that great. I see him as a solid player in the future (like a Chris Taylor, Jake Meyers or Kevin Kiermaier) type of outfielder

I don't see us thinking in five years that dang we should have kept him. Not like a JD Martinez or Hader.

I do think we will look back and think we wasted a deadline though to try to win now. I'm hoping this isn't our final year of this window but it's a possibility.

This question isn't antagonistic or anything like that, it' genuine - what would the Astros had to have done to not waste this deadline in order to win now?
Beat40
Priority is shifting even more to drafting/scouting and FA signings. Both of which Dana has seemed to be pretty good at thus far. That seems to bode well for the near future.
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

Someone on here at some point swore he'll end up on par with Tucker.

Hobbled?
MaxPower
tremble said:

Ag_07 said:

This

That depends. At some point the seller has to really think about whether they stay pat during the deadline or they try and get something for a guy who's leaving anyway next season. Maybe we could have left one of Wagner/Joey off the trade if we had waited another day. Tough to say.
You have to beat out other suitors. It's going to be a sellers market every year with the new playoff structure. The Fish rebuilt their farm and didn't even trade anyone that good.
Aggie1205
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I don't disagree. But what I'm talking about isn't talent based. The MLB doesn't really care about actual pure talent when picking super stars or production.

Current MLB superstars:
Ohtani
Judge
Soto
Cole
Harper
Rodriguez
Trout (finally losing steam because he plays so little)
Tatis (was until he tested positive and got moved to OF)

Potentially on the cusp
Skenes
De La Cruz
Alvarez
Turner

Maybe Acuna as well. He is in national commercials and on a good bit of gear in stores etc.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I'm not sure anyone would have been upset with Wagner being dealt. Heck if the trade was just a loss and Joeybi think people would have been just as upset.

The disappointment of the trade is we were forced to pay for what koochie (yes this is my new Porkchop nickname for him) could be…with no idea if he will be. He has the stuff he has the metrics and that meant we had to pay like he has it together…fingers crossed he does
Farmer1906
AG
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
I did debate that one. He should be on that cusp list for sure.
Farmer1906
AG

bearkatag15
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
RED AG 98
AG
Farmer1906 said:

this should really help the mood around here
bearkatag15
AG
If Kikuchi is viewed as a #3 starter, that would imply he's on the playoff rotation. Here is what would look like if we get in the playoffs:

JV
Framber
Kikuchi
Brown
Blanco

Would we stick with a 5 man rotation or move Brown or Blanco to the pen? The pen would also include Luis Garcia as well. Could do some tandem type starts with Kikuchi going just 2 times through the order then bring in Garcia or Blanco for a few innings.
cc10106
"I make the final decision & it was made by me with collaboration from the front office."

i.e. Jim told me to do it or else.
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

I don't think Loperfido will be that great. I see him as a solid player in the future (like a Chris Taylor, Jake Meyers or Kevin Kiermaier) type of outfielder

I don't see us thinking in five years that dang we should have kept him. Not like a JD Martinez or Hader.

I do think we will look back and think we wasted a deadline though to try to win now. I'm hoping this isn't our final year of this window but it's a possibility.

This question isn't antagonistic or anything like that, it' genuine - what would the Astros had to have done to not waste this deadline in order to win now?

Get a bat you trust to start in a playoff game (you're going to depend on singleton to get every at bat from the first base spot even against lefties now). Also get an arm you trust in a playoff game. Can't say Ferguson fits that mold.

You traded for a 5 starter and a bullpen guy we won't trust more than Montero. Honestly if you look at the numbers this year… Montero is better than Ferguson.

We could have gotten Justin Turner, Soler, Arozerena, or Mark Canha as a bat option. For arms there was Quantrill, Lorenzen, and a better bullpen pieces than Ferguson. Also if you waited later like the dodgers did with Flaherty, the price on Kikuchi would have gone down
Not saying we had to get the homerun big name guy… but can we really say we did all we could to win this year with the 2 moves that were made?

We're 2nd in the division (the worst division in all of baseball) and all we did was get "marginally better" at best.
tjack16
AG
On a different note…. Zero excuse to not win tonight

Bulldog73
AG
We're getting no hit and there'll be an immaculate inning.
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

On a different note…. Zero excuse to not win tonight

6.2 IP 2 H 0 BB 1 ER from Woodford
mwm
Beware of the Framber melt down.

But, I sure hope you're right.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
>5.00 ERA = our kryptonite
Farmer1906
AG
Rays devil magic

agproducer
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Farmer1906 said:

this should really help the mood around here
C'mon -- it's "bear," not "bare."
bearkatag15
AG
Who could have guessed this would be the outcome of his first AB as a Blue Jay

Farmer1906
AG
bearkatag15 said:

No respect. Fastballs right down the middle.

bearkatag15
AG
Its almost as if he is overmatched at the major league level.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
bearkatag15 said:

As I said last night, the "check-ins" for this trade will last for years
tjack16
AG
I think Leon will be really good for the rest of the year. Or at least replicate Loperfido's numbers so there won't be any drop off

Edit: should have added a if we play him enough part
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Wonder if they went after any offense at all after parades was gone
texasaggie2015
AG
Don't think this report is accurate

Edit: Well, unless that means Tampa never came down on their asking price and it never became meaningful from there
Shayboy3
S
Tickets for tonight's game

They are in section 133 row 15
PM me and I will send to anyone that wants them
First Page Last Page
Page 1248 of 1719

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.