***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,061,589 Views | 56698 Replies | Last: 16 min ago by gambochaman
linkdude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
James Paxton is not a serious comparison to Kikuchi. At least in terms of being an innings eater. He got DFA'd. Come on
Prosperdick
AG
There is a very decent chance that one of these 3 guys hits and if one does (God help us if more than one does) why on earth would we give that up for a 2 month rental for a guy that has had bad luck and might just bring it to our club.

Even if he rights the ship he's still just a 2 month rental that might give us an extra win or two over what we would have had? Sigh.

Did Crane just tell Dana you better get us a starting pitcher or start packing your bags? WTF?
BadAggie
AG
Gonna be easy to judge this trade after a couple starts by Keke Coutee

ttha_aggie_09
AG
I had this trade
ttha_aggie_09
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I'm all for Kikuchi being an arm to help us end the season but I watched him suck way too much in Seattle for me to think he is worth any decent prospects. Hopefully I am way wrong.
God I hate that I posted this earlier only for us to give up 3 good prospects
txags92
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

MaxPower said:

Texags: Make a trade. Why aren't we doing anything? We need help for a playoff push!

Also texags: No don't trade for that guy. How could you give that player up he will be an All Star?!?!

Basically texags: Trade hot garbage for a Cy Young winner and an MVP. Duh, my 6 year old could do it.

Exactly this.

This place would have been livid if they didn't make a trade. Now they are livid that they did.

I'm disappointed we are letting go of Loperfido but we were desperate for inning Eaters. It is what it is.
Don't lump all of us into that…I was by far not the only one saying no trade is better than a bad trade. This was a bad trade.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106
Anyone trading with Houston had the leverage knowing how desperate we were for a starter.
TRM
AG
I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, but it will give context for what to give up. They gave up a JAG prospect. We should have just needed 1 high level prospect.
texasaggie2015
AG
Prosperdick said:

Did Crane just tell Dana you better get us a starting pitcher or start packing your bags? WTF?

It wouldn't be the first time he's said this to a GM
Farmer1906
AG
Reunited.
PoppaB05
AG
Many people said they were fine with no trade. I know I did as recently as this weekend. Those saying to trade I guarantee thought it would be a going rate of a top ten prospect for a rental or at most a top ten + a low A lottery pick.
We gave up 2 top 10 plus a top 15-25. This is not normal. This is bend over with no lube. Thus far Dana has been good at finding garbage bin relievers and absolutely nothing else.
Ag_07
AG
TRM said:

I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, but it will give context for what to give up. They gave up a JAG prospect. We should have just needed 1 high level prospect.

The problem is we don't have one of those.

At the end of the day we overpaid because we were desperate with no leverage.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

TRM
AG
And sometimes you walk away from bad offers.
TRM
AG
Brown's body language was horrible in the presser.
agproducer
AG
TRM said:

Super defensive -- and he should be. It was a **** trade.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
What is crazy is to think of how much more protective of prospects and controllable talent teams are compared to 25 years ago.

Today, we traded 2 of our top 5 prospects and another top 15 guy for a rental starter with a near 5 ERA.

In 1998, we traded 2 of our top 5 prospects and another middling prospect for a rental Randy Johnson.

While the 1998 prospect set was better, it is just mind blowing how different this feels. That trade hurt, but everyone agrees you HAD to so it to add a HOF pitcher to a 100 win team.

This was selling the farm for a questionable upgrade for a team fighting to make the postseason.
Mathguy64
AG
TRM said:

It should be. He still got 6" of Canadian shlong in his backside.
AggiEE
TRM said:

Probably about as horrible as his negotiating skills.

"The market is what it is" - EXCEPT it's not. You set the market when you make a transaction. You're just a terrible negotiator.

It's hard to imagine a more lopsided trade. Back away and move on.

How enamored was Brown about this 4.75 ERA guy's fastball??? Come on dude, he's not an elite pitcher and he's a rental.

Terrible.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yeah, Brown did absolutely nothing to make us feel better about a bad trade with that mopey press conference.
BadAggie
AG
SpaceCityAg05 said:

What is crazy is to think of how much more protective of prospects and controllable talent teams are compared to 25 years ago.

Today, we traded 2 of our top 5 prospects and another top 15 guy for a rental starter with a near 5 ERA.

In 1998, we traded 2 of our top 5 prospects and another middling prospect for a rental Randy Johnson.

While the 1998 prospect set was better, it is just mind blowing how different this feels. That trade hurt, but everyone agrees you HAD to so it to add a HOF pitcher to a 100 win team.

This was selling the farm for a questionable upgrade for a team fighting to make the postseason.

Reality of an expanded playoff format

How many teams today have a chance at a playoff spot at the deadline versus in olden times?

That's what's driving up the cost

Buck Compton
AG
Except no one else has paid this much.
suburban cowboy
AG
this is Bill O'brien level of dumbassery
Mathguy64
AG
There is a solution to this ****burger.

Find something in Kikuchi's physical and void the trade tomorrow.
Ag_07
AG
I don't like the trade but the more I think about the more I think we're overvaluing what we gave up. Still an overpay mainly because YK is a rental. If he had another year I'm not sure I'd be upset.

It is what it is and it's done so whatever.

Move on and see if we add anymore.
AggiEE
The worst part about this trade is that I don't personally believe it materially improves our odds of winning a championship this year, and has a high likelihood of one of those players being cheap long term options for our organization that is now gone.

Just a worthless move. Go big or go home. We gave up big and got back *****
texasaggie2015
AG
I know I sound like a broken record but you guys are directing your anger at the wrong person.

Believe it or not- the problem is at the very top.
Farmer1906
AG
linkdude
AG
One consideration, if Kikuchi pitches well and walks in FA, we could offer a QO to recover a comp pick that should be roughly in line with Bloss' value. He might take it going into his mid-30s, though.

Just a thought.
htxag09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

htxag09 said:

Maroon&Fight said:

Texans are officially the best organization in Houston after the buffoonery of today

Damn. Didn't realize the Texans have multiple super bowls and a **** ton of deep playoff runs since 17. Must've missed those….
It's not about what they've done int he past. It's about what the future holds. And right now, the future holds lots of pain for this franchise. Crane is brain dead if he keeps any of the front office after this debacle. I said before the season that the dark days were coming for the Astros. I was wrong. They're already here.

It's just hilarious (and sad) how you completely ignore the last 7 years when calling crane brain dead. The Astros have been on a historic run. I'd wager if you asked the Texans (or almost any other franchise) that they'll win 2 championships and make deep runs in the playoffs regularly for the next 7 years but it'll look bleak after that they'd take that trade in a heart beat.

Winning is hard. Sustained winning is even harder. The window will close and the run will end. Maybe it closes this year, maybe next, maybe in 5 years. Who knows. I'll just try to enjoy it rather than making 50 negative posts a day.
BCEDAg
AG
Ever since Dana was hired I've not been impressed at all. But I kept hoping that he would pull off a trade or two that would meet our needs to finish the season strong to make the playoffs again.
But this deal is one of the most embarrassing deals ever pulled off by the Astros organization for a two to three month rental pitcher, not an everyday player that could contribute.
After watching Dana's presser I'm even more depressed about his ability to negotiate effectively.
AggiEE
texasaggie2015 said:

I know I sound like a broken record but you guys are directing your anger at the wrong person.

Believe it or not- the problem is at the very top.

I don't believe this fully. Yes, Crane may have been "get a deal done for a starter"

We could have gotten a worse starter than Kukuchi, innings eater, with far less of an asking price.

Brown was the one who got this deal negotiated rather than looking at other options. I don't think Crane was like "Get Kukuchi at all costs"

Heineken-Ashi
Ag_07 said:

I don't like the trade but the more I think about the more I think we're overvaluing what we gave up. Still an overpay mainly because YK is a rental. If he had another year I'm not sure I'd be upset.

It is what it is and it's done so whatever.

Move on and see if we add anymore.
Denial. It's what happens when you are forced to accept a turd sandwich.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
First Page Last Page
Page 1222 of 1621

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.