***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,868,250 Views | 67416 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by BCEDAg
n_touch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
EastCoastAgNc said:

Do we have the food budget for him and Singleton?
Ag_07
AG
Of course...Altuve and Doobie counter that.

Take him
texasaggie2015
AG
Pushing 40 and didn't have much success in AAA. I don't see the Astros having much interest here.
Ag_07
AG
Yeah and honestly there's not room in our rotation right now with Spencer and HB turning it around.

He didn't opt out to take a long relief BP job.
Beau Holder
AG
I wouldn't expect that the org is counting on Spaghetti being in the rotation all year. Be it because of innings or just not being as far along as Hunter ultimately.
texasaggie2015
AG
This is correct. They'll likely start to tone down his innings down the stretch and try to keep him fresh. Same goes for Blanco and Brown.

They should have done that more with Javier and they're paying for it. It's why adding some type of arm that can start here and there is a must IMO.
Ag_07
AG
Maybe

But right now I also don't see them bumping him to the BP so they make room for Cueto.

But right now I'd take Spence over Cueto anyways.
The Porkchop Express
AG
n_touch said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Do we have the food budget for him and Singleton?
Get Bartolo Colon out of retirement and you've got a heck of a tug o war team
Life is better with a beagle
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

This is correct. They'll likely start to tone down his innings down the stretch and try to keep him fresh. Same goes for Blanco and Brown.

They should have done that more with Javier and they're paying for it. It's why adding some type of arm that can start here and there is a must IMO.
That is the challenge with Crochet. How many innings can he give you this year? As farmer noted, Springs is a more ideal target in that he shouldn't have any limitations once he ramps up. Obviously there is some risk he just isn't the same guy after a serious injury.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't expect them to make a run at Crochet FWIW. If they make a "splash", I think it will be a bat and expect them to hunt the "bargain bin" for a couple arms.
BadAggie
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yep we need another decent starter. I think Blanco has already exceeded the most IP in a season for his career, no?
MaxPower
Yeah I think Vlad is the ideal target. Run scoring is down and we have a lot of good arms.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
linkdude
AG
Makes sense, Hummel was just an emergency option when Lopes was stuck in the minors. Kess gives you more injury replacement coverage.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Bag
AG
8 months too late
linkdude
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie
Will he be available at all next year, having had this done so late? Anybody know the timeline on that type of surgery?
tylhair
AG
Can't stop day-dreaming about adding Vlad. He's an OBP machine with the most RH pop we would have since 2019 Bregman. He'd be better than even the version of 2023 Jose Abreu we thought we were getting. Add him and Tuck to the team that has been rolling in June..oh baby.

Longer shots, Pete Alonso and Christian Walker would also be excellent.
texasaggie2015
AG
Espada came on 790 and said Tucker is still a few weeks away.

Wtf?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Did he evolve into Mr Glass?
cc10106
I figured the Seattle series after the All Star Break being the soonest for Tucker's return.
texasaggie2015
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

Will he be available at all next year, having had this done so late? Anybody know the timeline on that type of surgery?
Generally about a full year recovery from what I understand
Mr.Bond
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Wtf?

The Bone is broken
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

So this past and current week of scheduling is odd

6 game west coast road trip (travel day Thursday)
3 games at home (travel day Monday)
3 games on road in Chicago
5 games at home (off day in the middle)

Very weird scheduling by MLB but at least there's off days mixed in
Pathway to .500 by the ASB

@White Sox (3) 2-1
Orioles (3) 1-2
Rockies (2) 2-0
@Mets (3) 2-1
--end of month--
@Blue Jays (4) 3-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

15-9

48-48 Overall

Only 1 short sweep and losing 2 series. Doesn't seem super unreasonable.

Right on track. If we win one more vs Baltimore we're ahead of schedule.
I know we're there, but lets look at what the potential record could be at the ASB.

@Blue Jays (3 left) 2-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

7-5 finish?

50-46

I'll take that. It's only an 84-win pace, but from May 1st on, it would be a 97-win pace. It we play at our "May 1st on" pace the rest of the way then we'd finish with 89 or 90 wins.
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This opens up the chance for the "Grae Kessinger gets a hit in 2024" Astros Bingo square again. KAF has tha ton his card.

Been a bit since I did an Altuve records checkin

He's currently tied for 208th all-time at 2,150 with the great legendary Yogi Berra and Ed Konetchy, who I have not heard of. Yogi was of course an Astros' coaching staple in the 80s and lived to be 90 years old. He was an 18-time all-star, 3-time MVP and hit 358 HR with a .285 batting average.

I was unaware that he played 4 games for the Mets in 1965 at age 40 after seeming to retire from the Yankees in 1963. He was the Yankees' manager in 1964, then joined the Mets as a coach and went 2 for 9 as a player. He was fired as manager of the Yankees after his first year because they lost the WS to the Cardinals.

Even more impressively, Yogi was in the Navy on a rocket boat, "firing machines guns and launching rockets at the German defenses on Omaha Beach.."

Other Altuve spots on the all-time lists

#457 in Games played with 1,750. 2,000 games gets you in the top 50. If he gets another 750 games under the belt, he'd be into the top 60. Biggio is 18th at 2,850. Pete Rose is first at 700 billion.

310th in At-bats with 7,004. If he gets to 10,000, he'll be in the top 30 all-time. Biggio is 15th at 10,876.

255th in career runs scored with 1,112. Biggio is 16th at 1,844.

224th in career total bases with 3,295. He's about to pass some really great players - Albert Belle, Bobby Bonds, my boy Jose Cruz, etc. Biggio finished 38th with 4,711.

163rd in career doubles with 417. There's a few active guys bunched together on the list. Andrew McCutchen is 1 ahead of him and Paul Goldschmidt is at 423.

164th in career steals with 306.

Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Wtf?

I keep saying it like I'm joking but I'm not.

He has a broken shin bone and they just won't admit it.

I get they are free to play health stuff close to the vest. But it's frustrating to get string along like this.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

tjack16 said:

So this past and current week of scheduling is odd

6 game west coast road trip (travel day Thursday)
3 games at home (travel day Monday)
3 games on road in Chicago
5 games at home (off day in the middle)

Very weird scheduling by MLB but at least there's off days mixed in
Pathway to .500 by the ASB

@White Sox (3) 2-1
Orioles (3) 1-2
Rockies (2) 2-0
@Mets (3) 2-1
--end of month--
@Blue Jays (4) 3-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

15-9

48-48 Overall

Only 1 short sweep and losing 2 series. Doesn't seem super unreasonable.

Right on track. If we win one more vs Baltimore we're ahead of schedule.
I know we're there, but lets look at what the potential record could be at the ASB.

@Blue Jays (3 left) 2-1
@Twins (3) 1-2
Marlins (3) 2-1
Rangers (3) 2-1

7-5 finish?

50-46

I'll take that. It's only an 84-win pace, but from May 1st on, it would be a 97-win pace. It we play at our "May 1st on" pace the rest of the way then we'd finish with 89 or 90 wins.

AL West Snapshots

April 25th
Seattle 13-12
Texas 13-12
LAA 10-15
Oaktown 10-16
Houston 7-19

June 18th
Seattle 44-31
Houston 33-40
Texas 33-40
LAA 29-44
Oaktown 27-48

So between those two dates, the records were:
Seattle: 31-19
Houston: 26-21
Texas: 20-28
LAA: 19-29
Oaktown: 17-22

and then onto

July 1
Seattle 47-39
Houston 43-41
Texas 38-46
LAA 36-47
Oaktown 30-56

Between June 18th-July 1st, the records are
Seattle: 3-8
Houston: 8-1
Texas: 5-6
LAA: 7-3 (well look at you, trying to be a team!)
Oaktown: 3-8

So since the Astros bottomed out on April 25th at 12 games under, the AL West has been:
Houston: 36-22 (.621)
Seattle: 34-27 (.557)
LAA: 26-32 (.448)
Texas: 25-36 (.409)
Oaktown: 20-30.(.400)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Wtf?

I get they are free to play health stuff close to the vest. But it's frustrating to get string along like this.
Eventually it's going to be a few weeks away from the season being over.

Am I awful for thinking maybe this brings Tucker's value down a little as a free agent? Guy was on pace to a 50 HR season a month ago.
tjack16
AG
Sucks for Tuck

He was on pace for 40 HR and top 3 MVP finish
Post removed:
by user
Beat40
Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Wtf?

The point of keeping it close to the vest is to try to retain leverage when engaging in trade discussions. Just throwing it out there a bone is broken, if it actually is broken, when you're trying to deal for Vlad - I'm sure that makes the Blue Jays a little more stubborn on their return...

Yeah, it sucks for the fans, but I want my GM and coach to keep as much to themselves to keep every advantage during the trade deadline. I'm actually a little frustrated Espada said that at all, but I imagine Dana ok'd him to say it.

Silent assassins are what we should all want our GMs to be...
Ag_07
AG
WGAF about Tucker?

We obviously don't need that lollygagger ruining this run we're on.
Marvin
AG
Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Wtf?

The point of keeping it close to the vest is to try to retain leverage when engaging in trade discussions. Just throwing it out there a bone is broken, if it actually is broken, when you're trying to deal for Vlad - I'm sure that makes the Blue Jays a little more stubborn on their return...

Yeah, it sucks for the fans, but I want my GM and coach to keep as much to themselves to keep every advantage during the trade deadline. I'm actually a little frustrated Espada said that at all, but I imagine Dana ok'd him to say it.

This is a good point that I had not considered. Whether true or not, at least it offers a perspective.
Beat40
Marvin said:

Beat40 said:

Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Wtf?

This is a good point that I had not considered. Whether true or not, at least it offers a perspective.
I have no idea if it's true or not, but it's what I would do if I were GM.
First Page Last Page
Page 994 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.