***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,735,783 Views | 66703 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Farmer1906
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Stat update

Altuve adds 2 hits to reach 2,132, good for 222nd place all time. He's 2 hits short of tying former Astro Moises Alou at 2,134.

Both hits were doubles, giving him 414 for his career tied for 167th all-tie with Tony Fernandez and the late, great Kirby Puckett. He is 7 behind Alou (421) and 8 behind Lancer Berkman (422)
Life is better with a beagle
BadAggie
AG
32-38
6.0 games back of 3rd Wild Card spot
8.0 games back of Division lead
BadAggie
AG
Ump gambling would not be surprising, would explain a lot.
Booma94
AG
He's changed his approach at the plate. When he was at his best he hit a lot of balls, and even hit for power, to the opposite field. I don't know if the change is an adjustment to how's he's being pitched or just a change in his focus, but it's definitely a change.
Farmer1906
AG
Chrundle the Great
AG
RED AG 98 said:

Pahdz said:

RED AG 98 said:

Dubon is an everyday player on this edition of the 2024 Houston Astros.
Change my mind.

Why he wasn't playing everyday from the onset is nuts

I get he isn't the long term answer at 1B. But we don't have a long-term answer on the team right now and there's zero question in my mind he's better than anybody else we can put over there.

And if not that he certainly playing better than Chas this year.

I'd love to see us use him like we used Marwin in '17 where he plays nearly every day at multiple positions.

I'm thinking default 1b vs LHP, sub for chas in Lf vs RHP (once Tucker gets back). Chas becomes 4th outfielder/LHP LF when dubon is playing 1b. This doesn't even account for Alvarez in LF either but his LF nights could spell dubon.

I don't know if espada will play him much in rf while tucker is out, that's the one outfield spot he doesn't have many games at probably because of arm.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag4life80
AG
I had posted a couple of days ago I thought some things would go down this weekend. I would also not be surprised if Espada got a 'pep' talk about his tenuous status, as evidenced by Bregman not batting cleanup and Hader pitching the 9th in a non save situation
Farmer1906
AG
Ag4life80 said:

I had posted a couple of days ago I thought some things would go down this weekend. I would also not be surprised if Espada got a 'pep' talk about his tenuous status, as evidenced by Bregman not batting cleanup and Hader pitching the 9th in a non save situation

You realize Bregman is in the 2 hole right?
Twisted Helix
I think the only pep talk Espada has been getting was you will play Abreu.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beat40
Ag4life80 said:

Bregman hasn't been batting in the 4th spot for weeks. Header has pitched in a couple of non save situations in weeks prior to this week.

Are you saying the pep talk was to stop doing those things? Or are you saying the pep talk was weeks ago?
Strategy
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Mr President Elect said:

W said:

Chas had 41 x-base hits last year including 22 HR's

averaged 1 x-base hit every 10 at-bats

he's fallen off a cliff in 2024
Honestly, I kept waiting on him to "return to norm" last year but he never did. He kind of got hot at the end of the previous season and never really let up. I wonder which is the real Chas?

He's been in the tank literally since the day the news story broke about him and Dusty being at odds. September 8th or 9th I think.

It's a lot mental with him right now and wouldn't be surprised if he just needs a change of scenery

Trade him.

Start Luperfido or Dubon the rest of the year!!
rosco511
AG
I would pump the brakes a little on Loperfido. His swing and miss and strikeout issues will likely make it difficult to have sustained success. As for Chas, he does seem to have gotten away from the opposite field approach, which was his strength.
Ag4life80
AG
Beat40 said:

Ag4life80 said:

Bregman hasn't been batting in the 4th spot for weeks. Header has pitched in a couple of non save situations in weeks prior to this week.

Are you saying the pep talk was to stop doing those things? Or are you saying the pep talk was weeks ago?
I'm saying that cutting ties with Abreu probably wasn't the only item on the agenda this weekend. I would bet that Espada received a pretty direct talk regarding his and the team's performance. We'll see what shakes out from here to the All Star break, but I'm thinking that's going to be the pivot point on his job, buyer vs seller, etc.
No insider info, as my source left a couple of years ago.
But, the narrative has gone from a slow start to an embarrassment, and I don't think Crane is going to sit still for more of that.
All I do is Nguyen
SO sidenote convo, I FINALLY got the call up in the show '24 to the Astros as a pitcher. Current dynamic difficulty level is Legend, but MY GOD the difference between AAA and the MLB is night and day.

Trying to strike people out is damn difficult.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled Astros talk
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ag_07
AG
Keuchel is still pitching?

He's been grinding in MiLB for 2-3 years now hasn't he?

Man what a change that career trajectory took.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Tags mentions in his interview here that when Abreu showed up for his first spring training with the Astros, a coach made a comment to him about being surprised and shocked with how "old" he looked in how he moved around on the field and in the weight room.
wessimo
AG
Thinking of taking my boys to the game today. Any idea how early we'd have to be there to snag the Hawaiian shirts (first 10k). Are there entrances that are a better bet than others?
The Porkchop Express
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

SO sidenote convo, I FINALLY got the call up in the show '24 to the Astros as a pitcher. Current dynamic difficulty level is Legend, but MY GOD the difference between AAA and the MLB is night and day.

Trying to strike people out is damn difficult.

Anyways, back to our regularly scheduled Astros talk

I beat my daughter on Mario Kart 8 last night by using the red tires on Tanooki Mario's Little Scooty.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

oh come on...
texasaggie2015
AG
JV scratched.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
wessimo
AG
LFG Spaghetti
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

JV scratched.
He was in the dugout last night and looked fine. Hopefully he's just got the runs from his pre-game taco bell.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Does that mean JV goes tomorrow or misses his turn completely?
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

oh come on...

We can't stay healthy.
texasaggie2015
AG
Not good at all.
Jackal99
AG
wessimo said:

Thinking of taking my boys to the game today. Any idea how early we'd have to be there to snag the Hawaiian shirts (first 10k). Any entrances a better bet than others?

Would suggest at least two hours early. Go to the left field entrance (by Crawford Boxes). Sign up for "go ahead entry" on the Ballpark app. It's free and will save you a lot of time and there's a special line for it. Look for the green sign. If you use the go ahead, you can get there a little later, maybe. We used it last night, got there around 4:15, and were fifth in that line. Regular line was longer but not crazy at that time.
W
AG
what did Keuchel do with his $100 MM in career earnings?

at age 36 he should be comfortable to retire
wessimo
AG
Have been using the go-ahead entry the last few times we have gone. It is great.
texasaggie2015
AG
Some guys love baseball.
First Page Last Page
Page 866 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.