***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,734,464 Views | 66697 Replies | Last: 14 hrs ago by RED AG 98
West Roxbury
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quite possibly but that still falls on Crane's lap. He is not known to suffer fools very easily, so if he is star struck by a couple of former MLB stars I would be surprised. More likely? I would say that he might have come to believe it is easier than it really is to build and sustain a roster. And they were one game away from the WS after all...

Is Espada the right guy for energy and accountability? Not sure. Do we need a stronger, firmer presence at skipper? Not sure. But I would like to see us secure some good, young talent in our system.
_veeyah_
AG
I get that people are saying things need to change quick for this dynasty to keep going, but have we seen anything this season that will make us believe that? If Crane really is running the whole show is he gonna wake up one morning and be like, I guess I really did f*** up, Dana get the best nerds out there, start making some trades and give Tucker a deal. I sure really like to hope so. Oh well, we've endured those 100 loss seasons I guess we'll be alright.
Farmer1906
AG
Red Five
AG
Absolute Legend.
Farmer1906
AG

Astros listed on "other guesses" for Josh Bell & Pete Alonso.

He's got the Mariners landing Luis Robert.

Tanner Scott, Jesus Larzardo, & Tyler Anderson are listed but not the Astros for any.
rev27
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

The only positions I've heard we're actively calling about are first base, bullpen and starting rotation. In no order.

Doesn't mean we aren't looking elsewhere though.

Most of those calls are to NL East teams which includes the Mets (Alonso) which I mentioned yesterday among others that I'm not quite ready to put out there yet. One is in our division.
Based on the convos you've had, do you think there's a point at which we would become sellers? Is that even on the table?

I'm not trying to debate if we should be sellers. I know that's come up enough here. Just wondering if you've heard if there's a point where we transition from buyers to sellers.

Thanks!
texasaggie2015
AG
I haven't heard anything about selling but I would imagine if that was the plan it would be kept really quiet.
MaxPower
Jeremy Booth was on 97.5 today and said there's a reason Luhnow hasn't been hired in spite of being so successful. It's not just that he's an a-hole but no one trusts him either. Basically said he was stealing ideas from guys who interviewed for jobs or firing them after they came up with a good idea he could leverage. He burned a lot of bridges throughout MLB with his shenanigans.
astros4545
AG
Never knew this about Craig B
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
rev27
AG
Thanks! Makes sense
Marvin
AG
Sobering fact- there are only six MLB teams with worse records than the Astros.

I continue to be stunned by the level of suckage this group has managed to produce. It can certainly happen (the ghosts of past Padres, Mets, and Yankees teams say hold their beers) but who saw this abortion on the horizon?
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ag4life80
AG
I think Luhnow and Hinch were spectacular, but.........
Luhnow was not liked inside the offices due to issues listed above, and thought he deserved more credit
Crane paid Luhnow to know what was going on. So, either he didn't and should have, or did and did nothing
Hinch knew what was going on and got rolled over by the player pecking order, Beltran > Hinch
Remember, Hinch had no skins on the wall yet when Beltran rolled him
Which brings us to Espada having no skins on the wall and not being respected by the players
Project Gemini
AG
Who deserves more credit than Lunhow for the Astros dynasty?
All I do is Nguyen
I am so glad for Aggie baseball doing well to keep me entertained, hopefully for a few more weeks
Farmer1906
AG
n_touch
Ag4life80 said:

Luhnow was not liked inside the offices due to issues listed above, and thought he deserved more credit
Crane paid Luhnow to know what was going on. So, either he didn't and should have, or did and did nothing
Hinch knew what was going on and got rolled over by the player pecking order, Beltran > Hinch
Which brings us to Espada having no skins on the wall and not being respected by the players

There are 30 managers and not many of them have that type pedigree. Scott Servias doesn't have any skins on the wall and his team is in first place of the division and should have won it last year.

This is less about Espada, even though he is the scape goat, and more about the players just not playing well. It happens. There is a reason not a lot of runs like the last 7 years happen.
Ag4life80
AG
Servais has a solid big league playing career on his resume. That matters, like it or not.
Of course it's the players who are sucking. But let's be real on who they're blaming ( not themselves )
We have a family member who was very good friends with someone way up in the organization. Luhnow would pout around that he wasn't getting his due after '17. I agree he deserves the lion's share of the credit, but pouting around about it is not a real good look
Serviam
Farmer1906 said:

I would die 4 u
Beat40
Ag4life80 said:

I mean, Hinch did bust up two TVs with baseball bats, so I wouldn't say he got completely rolled over. I don't think any manager would had advocated for the release of Beltran or fire Cora during the middle of the 2017 run. Doubt any of them would have punished those two either.

As far as Espada - I have no idea if the players respect him or not. If you have inside info on them not respecting him, please share.

No one posts quotes on this thread comments by the players, it's all comments by Dana or Espada.
Beat40
Mayeb they are partially blaming Espada because that's part human nature.

However, that happens with players on a team and managers. It's not exactly a secret the relationship between Chas and Dusty. I'm sure he blames Dusty for some stuff too.

It's unbelievable how some of these guys have really let Espada down
Kashchei
AG
Project Gemini said:

Who deserves more credit than Lunhow for the Astros dynasty?

"ThE TrAshCaNS" /butthurt Doyer, Jankee, and Mall Cop fans
bearkatag15
AG

Never thought about this with this video but it is pretty crazy seeing no nets now over at least the dugout.
Ciboag96
The Astros did not lose yesterday
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Ciboag96 said:

The Astros did not lose yesterday

They didn't cut Jose Abreu, so I'm my mind, they did lose.
Ag_07
AG
I think about this all the time.

How did more people not get absolutely smoked?
houag78
AG
Because back then people watched the game and weren't glued to their phones 24/7
aftershock
Ag_07 said:

I think about this all the time.

How did more people not get absolutely smoked?

Well, for starters, they didn't have their heads buried in their phones while there was a game going on…
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm 30 years old but the boomer in me comes out when I go to a game and see thousands of people staring at their phones the entire game. Why even pay admission if you're watching the game maybe 10% of the time you're there?

Another pet peeve: People who start recording anytime a big moment is coming up. Put the phone away. Enjoy the moment. Take it in. It's 2024.. you can go home and rewatch on YouTube later a million times if you want.
Ag_07
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Another pet peeve: People who start recording anytime a big moment is coming up. Put the phone away. Enjoy the moment. Take it in. It's 2024.. you can go home and rewatch on YouTube later a million times if you want.

I always think...WTF are you gonna do with that video afterwards?
texasaggie2015
AG
Show it to their friends? That's cool but I promise there's a better video they've already seen by the time they show them lol
Farmer1906
AG
Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Post on social media for likes.
htxag09
AG
I mean phones are definitely a part of it.

But not like people weren't getting smoked before....they were.

Also, how much has the average fastball velocity gone up over the last 10, 20, 30 years?

What's the average exit velocity gone from?
Beat40
Ag_07 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

This is one of my favorite recent pictures: Lebron's bucket for the points record. Everybody on their phones except for Phil Knight just living in the moment.

First Page Last Page
Page 854 of 1906

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.