***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,760,762 Views | 34683 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by W
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Montero hasn't been that bad this year. Actually he's been quite the opposite and has had a decent bounce back year.

The problem is using the BP pieces outside their designed roles.

Just like what we saw in the beginning of the season when Hader wasn't getting any save opportunities and was being used in tie games and when we were down. Sound familiar?

I think the pieces are there they're just not being used correctly.

In the words of Dana Brown...That's a Joe Espada question
Ag_07
AG
And I gotta say it's pretty ironic to see us FINALLY bunt in extras and use small ball like we've been begging for only to watch us cough it up.
Noble07
AG
Quote:

You don't make a billion dollars unless you are some kind of megalomaniac *******
Yep, and Jim ran off Reid Ryan to hand over the business side of the team to his son. I would think having the support of Nolan and family would be valuable, but Jim just doesn't care.

While all of this is going on, the Texans have suddenly become pretty interesting.
tjack16
AG
Record by months

March: 0-4
April: 10-15
May: 15-14
June: 5-4
Overall: 30-37

We've played .526 baseball since the horrific start of March/April
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Chandler going in taw
FrioAg 00
AG
How much longer can we keep dragging Abreu along? Are we really going to let him personally close the window for this franchise?
The Porkchop Express
Astro Bingo Updated Standings

1. 07ag 4.5
2. KAF 4.0
3. RO519 3.5
agproducer 3.5
5. Buck Compton 3
6. txags 92 1.5
7. jkag89
RED AG 98
Porkchop

The next likely activated squares are Bregman hitting his 10th HR
and the Ags winning or not winning the CWS

Mathguy64
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Chandler going in taw

The things he had not one but two left handed 1B options when Abreu batted in the 7th and 9th. And he didn't use either one.

Batting Abreu in the 7th and then PH Jon for Chas and then compounding it by putting Cabbage in for the field was idiotic. It burned 2 players for one move. And the move was Joey batting for Chas. Really the move was Jon batting for Abreu and then Joey for Chas but it's clear Abreu can be PH for.

Do that and you still have Singleton as the LH option later for Abreu if you need it or a RH option later as a bat in Cabbage.

That move then tied his hands in the 9th.

It was little league level managing. And that's not all on Espada. It's not like he doesn't have other coaches standing next to him helping him.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

And that's not all on Espada

Yeah it is. Those are managerial calls and he's the manager.
txags92
AG
Mathguy64 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Chandler going in taw

The things he had not one but two left handed 1B options when Abreu batted in the 7th and 9th. And he didn't use either one.

Batting Abreu in the 7th and then PH Jon for Chas and then compounding it by putting Cabbage in for the field was idiotic. It burned 2 players for one move. And the move was Joey batting for Chas. Really the move was Jon batting for Abreu and then Joey for Chas but it's clear Abreu can be PH for.

Do that and you still have Singleton as the LH option later for Abreu if you need it or a RH option later as a bat in Cabbage.

That move then tied his hands in the 9th.

It was little league level managing. And that's not all on Espada. It's not like he doesn't have other coaches standing next to him helping him.
"Helping"…
Texas A&M
I just got my 'You Win When The Astros Win!' email from Papa John's. Maybe they know something that we don't.
tailgatetimer10
AG
Remind me again. What was our record with Singleton playing and abreu being benched?

All this back and forth on pinch hitting, pretty sure this alone is a solution. Insanity they won't take this loss.
W
AG
according to baseball reference...

Abreu checks in with a -1.6 WAR this morning

he has 4 walks and 4 x-base hits in 117 plate appearances

beyond awful
MaxPower
He's trying to get to the magical 40 AB's ASAP.
RED AG 98
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

1. 07ag 4.5
2. KAF 4.0
3. RO519 3.5
agproducer 3.5
5. Buck Compton 3
6. txags 92 1.5
7. jkag89
RED AG 98
Porkchop

Porkchop, we suck again!
The Porkchop Express
The only thing I'e seen comparable to Abreu was in 2013 when Matt Schaub totally lost it and kept throwing pick sixes, and even when told by ownership not to, Gary Kubiak kept putting him back into games.
RED AG 98
AG
W said:

according to baseball reference...

Abreu checks in with a -1.6 WAR this morning

he has 4 walks and 4 x-base hits in 117 plate appearances

beyond awful
NL pitchers of the not distant past are embarrassed by his performance.
The Porkchop Express
tailgatetimer10 said:

Remind me again. What was our record with Singleton playing and abreu being benched?

All this back and forth on pinch hitting, pretty sure this alone is a solution. Insanity they won't take this loss.
15-10 in the time Abreu was in the minors.

15-27 with him on the big-league roster.

9-19 when he got sent down

24-29 when he returned

30-37 now (6-8 record)

Hornbeck
AG
I'd take Mike Hampton playing first over Abreu…
Booma94
AG

tailgatetimer10 said:

24-29 when he returned

30-37 now (6-8 record)

So basically if Pressly and Abreu were not on the team it's possible the Astros would be contending for best record in baseball?
Booma94
AG
Hornbeck said:

I'd be cool with Zack Greinke.
The Porkchop Express
Booma94 said:

tailgatetimer10 said:

24-29 when he returned

30-37 now (6-8 record)

So basically if Pressly and Abreu were not on the team it's possible the Astros would be contending for best record in baseball?
I wouldn't go that far, but when you send Guperfido, who is playing great and is pure youthful energy, back down to the minors to make way for the bloated contract of a guy who can't hit my dog's weight, you are sending a message to your team, that putting the best lineup on the field every day is not your primary concern.

If the Astros had continued at their previous winning clip through the 14 games that Abreu has stunk it up upon his return, they'd be 33-34 right now, with the Rangres 2-1/2 games in the rear-view mirror and the Mariners potentially ahead by 4-5 instead of 7.5.
All I do is Nguyen
I'm gonna live in this world and pray for the best

bodaciousbood14
AG

1. 07ag 4.5
2. KAF 4.0
3. RO519 3.5
agproducer 3.5
5. Buck Compton 3
bodaciousbood14 3
6. txags 92 1.5
7. jkag89
RED AG 98
Porkchop

FIFY
agproducer
AG
Where are we on the Abreu 40 AB tracker?

I just can't get over the 12 blown saves at 40% part of the season. At this point, we'd have a better opportunity to win games with Chad Qualls, Chad Harville and Luke Gregerson in the bullpen.
MaxPower
39! Cut him after the second inning tonight!
tjack16
AG
I think we go 1-1 to finish the San Fran trip. 2-1 against the Tigers and sweep the white sox

That gets us to 36-39

But knowing this team we will lose the White Sox finale when we have a chance to sweep
Mathguy64
AG
Anyone expecting Captain Lou to go away needs to buy my bridge for sale.

Not a chance he's cut.

In 9 games in June he's hit 2 HR and a 2B with an OPS of 614. It's bad but it's so much better than before he got sent on vacation that they will keep him around.

Not PH for him last night in the 2 obvious opportunities made this abundantly clear. He's staying put.
CFTXAG10
AG
tjack16 said:

I think we go 1-1 to finish the San Fran trip. 2-1 against the Tigers and sweep the white sox

That gets us to 36-39

But knowing this team we will lose the White Sox finale when we have a chance to sweep
at the hands of Corey Julks and Martin Maldonado
Beerosch
AG
Hornbeck said:

The current Mike Hampton at 51 too
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
I can confirm that it's exactly as bad as he suggests. If not worse. It's a pretty sad and dire situation.
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

They also said the team is too talented for anyone to screw up.
Seems like someone took this as a challenge and said hold my beer.
Hornbeck
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I can confirm that it's exactly as bad as he suggests. If not worse. It's a pretty sad and dire situation.

Why do I follow these teams with egomaniac owners?!?!
Booma94
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I can confirm that it's exactly as bad as he suggests. If not worse.
What's ironic is when Crane fired Click and I expressed those exact Jerry Jones, meddling owner comments here, I was basically told to STFU because Crane was the best owner in Houston sports history.

While the team has been on an unparalleled run of success, don't forget that the reason the team was successful was because the owner was not involved in the day-to-day operations, not because he was involved.

I can't think of a single situation where an owner became more involved in a team's daily operations and the team got better. Successful business acumen in a non-sports industry does not translate to being a good sports GM no matter how much Jerry Jones and apparently Jim Crane want to think it does.
First Page Last Page
Page 839 of 991

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.