***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,792,209 Views | 35240 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by scd88
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chrundle the Great said:

So hader can't go the 10th because it's back to back days but montero can pitch 4 straight days?

If you knew hader only had 1 inning, and you need the 10th to win, why not keep Scott in the 9th?

Because Espada is a ****ing idiot
Hornbeck
AG
If the brain trustof Crane, Dana, and JeffyB had half a brain, they would dump the back end, Abreu, and Bregs, and get some good talent.
scrimp
AG
The 7 years prior to this one, most of the team would play at or occasionally above expectations. This year, pretty much every player on this team has underperformed even my lowered expectations….. tuck is the only guy playing above expectations for the season
W
AG
yep, Espada let Abreu have RISP at-bats in both the 7th and 9th innings

he should have gotten neither

and maybe the game doesn't go to extras
The Beef01
AG
AggiEE said:

Chrundle the Great said:

So hader can't go the 10th because it's back to back days but montero can pitch 4 straight days?

If you knew hader only had 1 inning, and you need the 10th to win, why not keep Scott in the 9th?

Because Espada is a ****ing idiot

Agreed…never should've been hired and shouldn't be allowed the dignity of making it to the ASB.
iBrad
AG
I don't think Espada survives the month of June. I know it's not all his doing, but sometimes you have to do something to shake things up.
W
AG
40% of the regular season has passed

'stros sitting at 30-37
linkdude
AG
Mariners get a walk off grand slam as well. Might as well check out until August and see what we do at the deadline, but I'm too much of an addict/masochist to do that...
wangus12
AG
BP has really ****ed us all season
Maroon&Fight
I hope they sell so I can have fun rooting for players trying to earn their bread instead of watching overpaid old dudes play like dog****
agdaddy04
AG
I don't see Crane selling.
AggiEE
W said:

yep, Espada let Abreu have RISP at-bats in both the 7th and 9th innings

he should have gotten neither

and maybe the game doesn't go to extras

The 2024 Houston Astros are not playing to win. We aren't putting the best players on the field. To add insult to injury, our Rookie manager continually makes the same mistakes over and over again. Burning Hader early in extra innings when we have no shot to win. He does that all the time. Not making good PH substitutions.

No. The 2024 Houston Astros are playing to try and make Jim Crane (who is the owner, manager, GM, and chief of baseball operations) not look like a ****ing idiot for spending countless millions on a Bum 1B that's over the hill and a Bum reliever who has always been a bum other than 1 lucky year.

How many games are we going to lose to try and see if Jim Crane was brilliant when he made these signings? Our season is basically over, so damage is done. Everyone knows the tough decisions needed to be made in May.

Too little too late. **** you Jim Crane, go back to meddling in your other businesses and let the real brain talent do their ****ing jobs in running baseball you hack.
Phrasing
AG
agdaddy04 said:

I don't see Crane selling.
I agree. It's the smart thing to do. Get a crap ton of prospects and be back in a few years. But smart decisions don't seem to be common in that building
Heineken-Ashi
iBrad said:

I don't think Espada survives the month of June. I know it's not all his doing, but sometimes you have to do something to shake things up.

This team routinely fails at basic fundamentals, rarely understand situational baseball, has a constantly rotating batting order with unproductive players in key spots, and completely lacks a backbone. I think you're extremely underestimating how much the lack of leadership, accountability, and gameplan from the manager have killed us.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Baseball Is Life
Look, I am not TxAggie2005 or whatever. My connections are in youth baseball and mostly retired MLB guys. With that said, I have a tiny connection to Yordan, through an older player.

Espada isn't respected and needs to be gone. Dusty wasn't the best, but the players respected and bought into what he was doing. It is hard for these guys to perform when they're continually put into the worst positions. This management is 100% a ****-show.

Edit - And none of my opinion comes from Yordan or any part of this team.
linkdude
AG
sorry to bring it up again, but just lol. We're 0-1 when scoring 2 runs in the first extra inning as the away team.
BadAggie
AG
Crane dumped Luhnow to take heat off himself

Crane then lucked into hiring Click and then fired Click after the team won a WS

Ever since that moment there's been a clear downward trajectory for this franchise, even with the ALCS appearance last season

I mean forget everything else, if your GM knew entering last offseason that a $100 mil long term deal was available might he have approached it differently? Yeah I know Graveman but still

Hey, Crane brought a couple WS titles but…

Also IIRC Click had a deal of Urquidy for Contreras lined up and that was one of the reasons Crane wanted to get rid of him.

Urquidy just had his 2nd Tommy John so good call there Jim

Hornbeck
AG
Why did they keep starting that POS Abreu?
Montero needs a West Palm trip. Maybe trade.
We have some young guys who deserve a shot to play. Loperfido comes to mind. All the Dubon benching needs to stop.

Bagwell may hate "analytics", but the analytics Astros kick the ever living, ever loving $h!t out of the "Bags feels good" Astros.
agproducer
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

Look, I am not TxAggie2005 or whatever. My connections are in youth baseball and mostly retired MLB guys. With that said, I have a tiny connection to Yordan, through an older player.

Espada isn't respected and needs to be gone. Dusty wasn't the best, but the players respected and bought into what he was doing. It is hard for these guys to perform when they're continually put into the worst positions. This management is 100% a ****-show.

I was a fan of the Espada hire, but it's clear: he ain't it.

He needs to be gone.

Injuries aren't his fault, but this team is taking the passive approach of the manager. Dusty, with all his faults, connected with players. Didn't someone mention that Espada didn't even talk to the players about their poor play for weeks?

Someone mentioned Tito. The Astros need to make that call.
BadAggie
AG
Manager Pettis

Pure aggression all the time

Make it happen Crane
AggiEE
Hornbeck said:

Why did they keep starting that POS Abreu?
Montero needs a West Palm trip. Maybe trade.
We have some young guys who deserve a shot to play. Loperfido comes to mind. All the Dubon benching needs to stop.

Bagwell may hate "analytics", but the analytics Astros kick the ever living, ever loving $h!t out of the "Bags feels good" Astros.

The lineup should be set in stone at this point.

• Loperfido plays instead of Chas McCormick
  • Singleton plays instead of Jose Abreu

The *only* time either Abreu or McCormick plays is for rest days of the other players. That's it. Maybe the rare matchup situation that looks favorable.

We were winning games at a better clip when both Chas and Abreu were not playing. We DO NOT have the luxury of trying to increase trade value of Chas McCormick, or trying to prove that Abreu's $60M contract wasn't a colossal mistake.
Sex Panther
AG
Quote:

I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but this is the only thing that would salvage this disaster of a season
agproducer
AG
This bullpen has blown 12 saves. 12!

AggiEE
agproducer said:

This bullpen has blown 12 saves. 12!

Best Bullpen in baseball for a cherrypicked time frame!
cc10106
Not surprised by Espada's choice to use Montero again after his comments about Pressly yesterday like nothing went wrong (again).

Just fire the dude already.
AggiEE
cc10106 said:

Not surprised by Espada's choice to use Montero again after his comments about Pressly yesterday like nothing went wrong (again).

Just fire the dude already.

At this point it it's kind of comical.

Doesn't matter who he goes with, the save will get blown. Whose day is it to **** things up? Pressly? Hader? Montero? Abreu?

These guys aren't consistent. Constantly walking people, getting into 3 ball counts. Then once anyone gets on it's like game over, it's going to spiral out of control.

The fielding errors tonight were inexcusable too. Pena, Montero, Dubon -- all a bunch of brain farts that had to happen to prevent us from going another inning.

This team's head isn't right. Our hitting still sucks. We have lost *SOOO* many close games that you have to start blaming someone at this point. Espada's tenure here is a disaster and you can't just blame the injuries. We must have the worst record in baseball in close games.
Hornbeck
AG
Agreed. And Dana. And Bags.

It's a (not very funny) joke at this point.
Baseball Is Life
agproducer said:

Baseball Is Life said:

He needs to be gone.

Injuries aren't his fault, but this team is taking the passive approach of the manager. Dusty, with all his faults, connected with players. Didn't someone mention that Espada didn't even talk to the players about their poor play for weeks?

100%. Dusty made bad moves, but he had the mojo to do so and the players believed in him. This team doesn't believe the BS Espada is doing, and why should they? The results speak for him.
BCEDAg
AG
agproducer said:

Baseball Is Life said:

He needs to be gone.

Several days ago I predicted that Espada wouldn't make it to the All Star break and that Francona should be the new manager to light a fire into this team. Espada shouldn't even be retained for tomorrow's game. His in game decisions are atrocious.
Baseball Is Life
Espada was pissy in the presser tonight. I hope the heat is really turning up on him. Yes, that is tough to say about a great man, but this a tough business. He's not cut out for this right now.
BadAggie
AG
Not hard to reach the conclusion that Crane wants a yes man, puppet as GM.

Luhnow had the rep and contacts and results that Crane had to respect until the scandal gave him the opportunity to get rid of him

Crane's true colors shone in getting rid of Click

You don't make a billion dollars unless you are some kind of megalomaniac *******

Not hard to follow news about the franchise and conclude that Brown's authority is limited

Not in HTowns DNA but we're not that far from fans starting to check out.

BCEDAg
AG
I'm a the point now where I'll continue to watch the games but my expectations for this team have severely diminished. I support the players but the decisions made by the front office brass are destroying what we have all seen enjoyed since 2015 and it's frustrating as hell.
W
AG
Abreu is 3 for 31 w/RISP

he cannot get those at-bats
Baseball Is Life
BadAggie said:

Not hard to reach the conclusion that Crane wants a yes man, puppet as GM.

Luhnow had the rep and contacts and results that Crane had to respect until the scandal gave him the opportunity to get rid of him

Crane's true colors shone in getting rid of Click

You don't make a billion dollars unless you are some kind of megalomaniac *******

Not hard to follow news about the franchise and conclude that Brown's authority is limited

Not in HTowns DNA but we're not that far from fans starting to check out.

100%. Click should have been offered a five to ten year year contract. Honestly, we shouldn't blame the lackeys, as this ****show is all on Jim. He turned from saving the Astros, into Jerry Jr, in short order.

Success and power corrupts. It also deludes people.
BadAggie
AG
Too much talent to be sucking.

95 games left, 5.5 games out of the playoffs, so there's still a window.

It's not like the team's poor performance is a new revelation. Presumably a seasoned team owner and entrepreneur has already thought about plans A through Z if progress did not occur.

Selling off some free agents to be for prospects and shaving some off total salary has its pluses, so I could see a grin and bear it finish to this season.

But this is a team with the talent to make an ALCS and contend.

Will be an interesting next couple of weeks.
First Page Last Page
Page 837 of 1007

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.