***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,791,952 Views | 35234 Replies | Last: 32 sec ago by Mathguy64
The Beef01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you find yourself questioning why people are turning on Espada consider that they're now 5-14 in 1-run games (that doesn't happen without your manager f'ing up in-game decisions).

Additionally, he ran Montero out there for the 3rd day in a row when he had :

.2 IP 1 H 1 ER 1 BB

.1 IP 1 H 1 Inherited runner scored

So, when he goes out there on day 3 and goes :

.1 IP 4 H 3 R (2 ER)

…only a complete moron or someone who is in over their head with a bad support staff doesn't see that coming.

Espada probably isn't a complete moron, but he is in over his head with an absolutely terrible support staff.
agdaddy04
AG
So we're made he brought in Montero but who was he supposed to bring in? Knew it wouldn't be Press after last night. Abreu also pitched two days in a row. Dubin is only other option.
Marvin
AG
Eenie meenie minie- DOH. Doesn't matter who pitches out of the pen, someone will spit up the lead. Just shoot this rag ass horse in the head and reconvene in February. What an abject failure.

I would love to think that Crane will be smart and hire a real GM and manager, and make a strategic move or three that leads into one more run next year... but I have my doubts. He's been a great owner, but he has run off every smart person in the organization, and even one big old dummy that at least had seen enough baseball since the 1880s to occasionally make a good decision. Now he just needs a Skeletor facelift and white caps on his grill to make the Jerry Jones transition complete.

Rant over. I probably need to check out for a while and let this toxicity bleed off. ****!!!!
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Ciboag96
Glad I was soundly dreaming about 1980's Heather Locklear and not watching that afterbirth of a game
3B Paul 97
AG
What a nut shot to wake up to. Mariners blow out the Sox the last 2 innings while we piss down our leg in the 10th.
MaxPower
We selling yet or still believing the lie?
linkdude
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Clown organization. Send cabbage down, not joey
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Fire. Him. Now.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
mwm
Two steps forward, two steps backward.

Stuck in the mud. Not going anywhere.
The Porkchop Express
I'll keep it simple.

Sometimes you have a guy in the company who has been around a while and is a great administrator, but only because he's not making the decisions, he's just supplying the data to make them.

You don't make that guy the boss.

He is coaching the same way that I constructed my first fantasy baseball team roster when I was 21 and drafted maybe 7 Astros. And those were the 1992 Astros, so not very good. You keep playing guys who you have fond memories of, instead of the guys who are performing right now.
  • Ryan Pressley should only pitch when we are ahead or behind by >3 runs.
  • Jose Abreu should only bat when we are ahead or behind by >5 runs, or if SIngleton and Caratini and Diaz have all been mauled by a saber-tooth tiger.
  • Chas McCormick should play every day until Tucker is healthy and then get traded, so Guperfido can come up and get regular time in the OF.
  • Somebody needs to seriously find us a real 1B, because Singleton looks like me when I was 32, only I was a foot taller. Big Boy has had a great story, but that body isn't going to last game after game going forward into the future. if Guperfido isn't going to learn 1B then somebody better.

Meanwhile, your GM is playing "save some pennies for a rainy day" by continuing to not let Guperfido get MLB service time. They pulled the EXACT SAME SHYT with Hunter Pence in 2007, costing him Rookie of the Year, and only after they realized "damn, we suck, well bring up the rookie". Four years later, the team was so bad they traded him, ironically for Singleton among others.
texasaggie2015
AG
Well how's everyone doing this morning
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

All good, brother. Our Aggies are headed to Omaha and the Texans play August 1st in the HOF game. I appreciate my other rooting interests, even if one is occasional, doing their best to minimize this summer of suckage created by the Astros.

#FUgators
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
203Raggie
AG
Honestly just focusing on the Aggies as much as I can to avoid being brought the big sad by the Astros
Chef Elko
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Bad. Games like last night and and the Framber/Angels game a few weeks back don't happen this frequently to good teams. Team has been on life support all year and it may be close to being over.
Boiling Denim
Off day Thursday
Complete game Friday
6-1 win Saturday

And the bullpen is completely gassed by Monday

This is bad managing
cc10106
What's even better is how much faith I have in upper management steering this organization in the right direction beyond this season. I'm being dramatic, but this team has lost so many close games this season that we could be .500 right now if we didn't constantly crap the bed. Maybe it's better that all this is happening now rather than a huge nosedive down the road.

tjack16
AG
Solely focused on the Aggies in Omaha this week and next
Chef Elko
AG
I thought it was going to get better after Dusty... I'm thankful for Crane, he was able to follow a process and wait to see results, he continues to spend on FAs and we have a massive payroll, but the past few years have been a gut punch. I hate to say it, but Manfred won.
f1ghtintexasaggie
We are dangerously close to the wheels falling completely off.

One has to wonder if Crane has already folded on this season and is looking to the future. Why else would you not keep Loperfido up and getting big league ABs, if not (as someone mentioned above, you want to manipulate service time to ensure you have him for as long as possible? If this is the case, why not keep running Abreu out there to K with guys in scoring position? Might as well get some sort of (demented) enjoyment for your "investment," make him wear the embarrassment. Same with Chas, at least in hopes he can improve his trade stock by August.

I'm not sure when the switch was flipped, so to speak, but it sure looks like we are trying NOT to win, as assbackward as that sounds.
f1ghtintexasaggie
We have two trophies, two more than any of us probably ever thought we would have before 2017. Manfred didn't win *****
BCEDAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I'll keep it simple.

Sometimes you have a guy in the company who has been around a while and is a great administrator, but only because he's not making the decisions, he's just supplying the data to make them.

You don't make that guy the boss.

He is coaching the same way that I constructed my first fantasy baseball team roster when I was 21 and drafted maybe 7 Astros. And those were the 1992 Astros, so not very good. You keep playing guys who you have fond memories of, instead of the guys who are performing right now.
  • Ryan Pressley should only pitch when we are ahead or behind by >3 runs.
  • Jose Abreu should only bat when we are ahead or behind by >5 runs, or if SIngleton and Caratini and Diaz have all been mauled by a saber-tooth tiger.
  • Chas McCormick should play every day until Tucker is healthy and then get traded, so Guperfido can come up and get regular time in the OF.
  • Somebody needs to seriously find us a real 1B, because Singleton looks like me when I was 32, only I was a foot taller. Big Boy has had a great story, but that body isn't going to last game after game going forward into the future. if Guperfido isn't going to learn 1B then somebody better.

Meanwhile, your GM is playing "save some pennies for a rainy day" by continuing to not let Guperfido get MLB service time. They pulled the EXACT SAME SHYT with Hunter Pence in 2007, costing him Rookie of the Year, and only after they realized "damn, we suck, well bring up the rookie". Four years later, the team was so bad they traded him, ironically for Singleton among others.

Trade Presley, Montero, McCormick and play Loperfido and Dubon more. Caratini is a solid backup and could also be used more as a DH when Diaz catches. Singleton is a great story but this is a business and he should be DFA'd in order to give other more productive players playing time.
And obviously the Jose Abreu tryout isn't working so cut bait and move on.
If I can figure this out how come the high paid upper management can't or won't?
tjack16
AG
This is just a mediocre team. We get momentum, then immediately lose a couple of games we shouldn't.

I don't really see it changing. We are going to fight to get .500 for a while
CFTXAG10
AG
There's a difference between game to game management and roster construction. One is fixable now. One takes time.
Chef Elko
AG
We would be in a way better spot with Hinch and Luhnow.
cc10106
Chef Elko said:

I thought it was going to get better after Dusty... I'm thankful for Crane, he was able to follow a process and wait to see results, he continues to spend on FAs and we have a massive payroll, but the past few years have been a gut punch. I hate to say it, but Manfred won.
Unfortunately Crane's been part of the problem since we won the last World Series. I'm glad he hasn't been cheap about signing free agents, but he seems to think he knows how to run a baseball team which clearly isn't the case. What he needs to do is get over his ego/trust issues and hire those that can and step back.
Chef Elko
AG
Absolutely. It's been such a stark contrast it's hard to believe.
Booma94
AG
Marvin said:

He's been a great owner, but he has run off every smart person in the organization,
That's like saying "Well aside from that, how was the theatre Mrs. Lincoln?"
texasaggie2015
AG
Joe Espada was far from the first choice, but Dana Brown was his biggest advocate and the two work well together. Eventually Dana was able to convince Crane to get on board and they hired him.

Dana Brown's tenure shouldn't be defined by this. His first draft class is performing well overall which has always been his expertise. The farm needs a boost and he's the right guy to drive that. Sometimes you're just wrong and that's fine.

The problem is.. Jim Crane already has an issue letting the GMs do their job without overstepping. The Josh Hader deal was orchestrated by Crane. The JV trade was all Crane, though he did defer to Brown on which prospects to trade. He's vetoed and shot down a few moves over the years. This probably won't help with that to say the least.
_veeyah_
AG
What's worse is that my butt will be sitting there watching all over again tonight! This Manager and Front office are relying too much on how players were instead of what they're doing now. I know people say the Astros are in talks with other teams but unfortunately I don't believe they'll do anything until the All star break if that. They still don't make moves, they still don't make sh*t happen and even if they fire Espada I don't have confidence in anybody internally replacing him.
Wabs
AG
I remember not long ago watching every pitch of Astros baseball, staying up to whatever hour when they were on the west coast. Now....well just say that I've started valuing extra sleep rather than going to bed late, pissed off and frustrated.

Thank God for Aggie baseball. Focus is on Omaha and whether we have enough pitching to survive there.
FrioAg 00
AG
We miss Neris, Maton and Stanek quite a bit.

Montero decline after 2022 was difficult to predict, and I'm not sure anyone could have predicted Pressley to fall off this sharply after 2023.

The pen was by far the strength of the team and is now one of the worse in baseball. There are at least 7-8 losses on them that should have never been.
The Porkchop Express
Wabs said:

I remember not long ago watching every pitch of Astros baseball, staying up to whatever hour when they were on the west coast. Now....well just say that I've started valuing extra sleep rather than going to bed late, pissed off and frustrated.

I have the complete opposite feeling. This is the Astros returning to the norm of most baseball franchises, and the fandom likely shedding a lot of excess weight (not you specifically). Back to the days where I still followed every game hoping for a win, but still taking pride in great individual performances and seeing all-time greats continue to climb the charts. Where the fanbase was leaner, and hopefully less "sky is falling" on every single pitch.

And see if this is a hiccup that resets to a playoff appearance this year or next year, or if the dynasty has run its course, and the Astros go back into the big pool of teams trying to get over the hump.

Regardless, I'l still be around, someone's got to run Astro Bingo.

As my man T Stark once said,

Wabs
AG
Understand completely. Give me time and I'll be back in that place, too.
First Page Last Page
Page 838 of 1007

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.