***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,743,252 Views | 66727 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by tjack16
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinCountyAg
Dana just dropped the old "look at the back of the baseball card" talking about Press
JPN06
Beau Holder said:

Straw was certainly a comfortable level of familiar to someone like me who grew up watching Adam Everett hit.
Adam Everett was Babe Ruth compared to Straw!
bearkatag15
AG
JPN06
texasaggie2015 said:

Meyers is so much better than Straw. What? Straw isn't even in the league right now last I checked.
Where are your number to back this up?

I think they both suck.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

Dana just dropped the old "look at the back of the baseball card" talking about Press

Mathguy64
AG
bearkatag15 said:

Win win. Julie gets a chance to play and we get a lottery ticket.

Hopefully he takes the most of his chances up there.
Farmer1906
AG
Since 2021 Jake has been 10th in baseball in outs above average (+25). He's done that while only playing 1748.2 innings. Cedric Mullins is 6th (+29). Cedric has played 3745.2 innings. If Jake was a full-time player, he might be the best OF defender in OAA. I don't get how so many sell him short defensively.

Quote:

Outs Above Average (OAA) is the cumulative effect of all individual plays a fielder has been credited or debited with, making it a range-based metric of fielding skill that accounts for the number of plays made and the difficulty of them. For example, a fielder who catches a 25% Out Probability play gets +.75; one who fails to make the play gets -.25.
Beau Holder
AG
Agreed, I like this.
texasaggie2015
AG
I never in my life imagined I would get jumped for saying Jake Meyers is better than a guy who barely has a .500 OPS in AAA. If you've watched both guys play, it's pretty clear who the more talented player is. Myles Straw could play CF- no doubt about that. But he was a horrendous hitter.

I strongly, strongly disagree that Jake Meyers sucks. He's 5th among MLB centerfielders (with at least 90 plate appearances) in wRC+. Considering the level of outfield depth on this team, if he sucked, he wouldn't be on the roster.

He's been the victim of circumstance throughout his career between severe injury and inconsistent playing time. He's taking advantage of his opportunity this year.
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Since 2021 Jake has been 10th in baseball in outs above average (+25). He's done that while only playing 1748.2 innings. Cedric Mullins is 6th (+29). Cedric has played 3745.2 innings. If Jake was a full-time player, he might be the best OF defender in OAA. I don't get how so many sell him short defensively.

Quote:

Outs Above Average (OAA) is the cumulative effect of all individual plays a fielder has been credited or debited with, making it a range-based metric of fielding skill that accounts for the number of plays made and the difficulty of them. For example, a fielder who catches a 25% Out Probability play gets +.75; one who fails to make the play gets -.25.

Yes. Jake is excellent defensively.

People sell him short because his arm strength suffered after the injury. But his arm looks like its back and as we have discussed ad nauseam, jump and speed is what matters most in the OF and arm strength is just for highlight videos but matters far less.

I like Jake. He's a good 4th OF and defensive sub. I just like Chas a lot better.
Booma94
AG
Harry Dunne said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I'm not offended at all and I don't have delicate sensibilities. Not sure why you're making this personal. Like I said, to each his own. I strongly disagree that they're in the same ballpark and have the right to challenge that opinion.
Sorry, I haven't been around for a while so you may not know my style, I'm not making it personal. I'm just trying to be funny.

I thought the wink icon was the universal sign for "in jest"

You also have to use the sarcasm font.
tjack16
AG
Rally baby is 3 weeks old tomorrow, and the Astros are 10-6 in her lifetime
Booma94
AG
JPN06 said:

Straw won a gold glove. He's a terrible hitter, but being the best defensive CF in baseball over a full season counts for something. I wouldn't choose Straw over Jake and obviously the Astros agree but I don't think Jake is ever going to be a full-time MLB OF.

He's 28 years old and has a career .685 OPS.
He wasn't always a Gold Glover. His first season as CF as an Astro, every ball in the air was an adventure.
CFTXAG10
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Julks DFA'd...someone will pick him up.

Hate this for Corey. Supposed to attend his wedding in November. His fiance and my wife are friends. Not sure if there's still interest but at one point he and Hensley were being looked at by the White Sox. Will post if I hear anything.
Farmer1906
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Quote:

Yes. Jake is excellent defensively.

People sell him short because his arm strength suffered after the injury. But his arm looks like its back and as we have discussed ad nauseam, jump and speed is what matters most in the OF and arm strength is just for highlight videos but matters far less.

I like Jake. He's a good 4th OF and defensive sub. I just like Chas a lot better.
I wasn't directing this at anyone in particular. I am very pro Chas too. We have room for both. Chas will probably never replicate 2023, but he's light years better than 2024. I love the plan of starting Chas in LF and Jake in CF vs LHP.
Prosperdick
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Farmer1906 said:

Straw currently has a .565 OPS in AAA this year. Yall are wild.
Y'all are all missing the point of the post. It was never a Straw versus Meyers comparison.

If I want someone to nitpick one part of the post that offends their delicate sensibilities and not the main point and turn it into an argument, I'll go talk to my wife.
The ultimate Strawman argument lol.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, the Astros and White Sox have spoken a lot over the last 12-18 months in trade talks. Glad they finally got something done, though it's nowhere near as big as it could have been at one point in time.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Do yo think the Indians would give us Straw back for Meyers? That's the general sentiment of the board, right?
Life is better with a beagle
CFTXAG10
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Yeah, the Astros and White Sox have spoken a lot over the last 12-18 months in trade talks. Glad they finally got something done, though it's nowhere near as big as it could have been at one point in time.
Yea, Corey is stoked. He didn't want to come back here after being DFA'd. He doesn't have the best relationship with Maldonado either, so kind of funny he is being reunited.
MaxPower
I will solve this debate. Straw stinks and Jake doesn't. End of story.
texasaggie2015
AG
Don't blame him at all for wanting a change of scenery. Never met Corey but he seems like a really good dude. Hope it works out for him.
Beau Holder
AG
I need to hear more about this Maldy thing.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'll add to what I said above. The Astros and Sox have been in pretty regular contact over the last 12-18 months or so. I like this trade a lot because Dana and company have done a lot of homework on White Sox prospects and they likely have a lot of intel on this Rodriguez kid. There's something in him that they like.
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I'll add to what I said above. The Astros and Sox have been in pretty regular contact over the last 12-18 months or so. I like this trade a lot because Dana and company have done a lot of homework on White Sox prospects and they likely have a lot of intel on this Rodriguez kid. There's something in him that they like.
Lots of Ks, very few BBs last year.
redline248
AG
redline248 said:

Alex Bregman has never posted an OPS below .800 (currently .534), or and OPS+ below 110 (currently 57). Will he be able to salvage his season numbers?
2 games later he has his OPS up to .651 and OPS+ up to 89.
texasaggie2015
AG
Tonight could be fun. The only three current Astros to have faced the Oakland pitcher have hit a home run against him:

MLB Gameday: Follow Athletics at Astros game on 05/15/2024 free
CFTXAG10
AG
Beau Holder said:

Most of it had to do with Corey thinking the rookie hazing went a little too far. Maldy always gave him sh** about his jewelry, clothes, etc. and let him hear it when he wasn't hitting or playing well (the irony!) - Corey is a very hard working and humble guy, but after a while he started giving it right back to him. Maldy didn't like that.
bigjag19
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Hate this for Corey. Supposed to attend his wedding in November. His fiance and my wife are friends. Not sure if there's still interest but at one point he and Hensley were being looked at by the White Sox. Will post if I hear anything.

She is damn good looking. My kid is at the school she teaches at.
Booma94
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Beau Holder said:

Most of it had to do with Corey thinking the rookie hazing went a little too far. Maldy always gave him sh** about his jewelry, clothes, etc. and let him hear it when he wasn't hitting or playing well (the irony!) - Corey is a very hard working and humble guy, but after a while he started giving it right back to him. Maldy didn't like that.
So you're saying that Julks wasn't part of the Maldy neck kissing celebration?
The Porkchop Express
AG
bigjag19 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

She is damn good looking. My kid is at the school she teaches at.
I mean, this board is now built on rules. Oppressive, thoughtless rules.
And you're going to ignore Rule #1?
Life is better with a beagle
Beau Holder
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Beau Holder said:

Maldy being a "can give it but not take it" type is zero surprising.

Unrelated but I was just chuckling this morning remembering that the Rangers managed to lose the Blair Henley Game.
Booma94
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

If you're going to pick a regular trade partner, doesn't make sense to pick someone that's not horrible? Taking on the cast-offs from potentially the worst team in baseball doesn't seem like much of a get.
Farmer1906
AG
Booma94 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

If you're going to pick a regular trade partner, doesn't make sense to pick someone that's not horrible? Taking on the cast-offs from potentially the worst team in baseball doesn't seem like much of a get.
Padres seem to be doing well with their cast-off.
texasaggie2015
AG
I wouldn't call Luis Robert and Dylan Cease cast offs. Or Kendall Graveman.

And they don't care how good or bad a major league team is when evaluating their prospects in the farm system. If anything, it works to Houston's benefit if the organization they're dealing with doesn't evaluate talent well.
First Page Last Page
Page 588 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.