***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,743,247 Views | 66727 Replies | Last: 54 min ago by tjack16
All I do is Nguyen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Ford was saying on the radio broadcast that it was an automatic 10 games suspension. I am hoping he is wrong and this all turns out to be a bunch of nonsense.
MaxPower
Wabs said:

If it is in fact just rosin and sweat in his glove (likely), then how can MLB suspend him? Are they assuming he purposely put rosin in his glove, mixed it with some sweat, and then somehow used that to doctor a ball? A ball you throw with a hand that can literally pick up and use a rosin bag on the mound? Where is the MLB player union on this?
Apparently you can't have rosin on your non-throwing hand. Why anyone would give a **** about a legal substance being on your non-throwing hand I have no clue. Seems like an idiotic rule.
Quad Dog
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Laz Diaz disappeared for half an inning. It wouldn't surprise me if they doctor it up with someone else to make themselves look better.

He left to ensure chain of custody of the glove, right? Serious question, can a team member be present for chain of custody to ensure something like that doesn't happen?
He has to go secure custody of the glove because of the 1994 Indians sneaking into the umpires' locker room to replace a corked bat.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Cleveland_Indians_corked_bat_incident
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
Gameday: Space Cowboys 16, Isotopes 7 Final Score (05/14/2024) (milb.com)

Goodness gracious.. it's insane how much the baseball flies in Albuquerque
MaxPower
Why are all Rome articles being linked to The NY Times now?
linkdude
AG
The Athletic is owned by NYT
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah my password no longer works and I've been locked out of my account since they made the change. Weird
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

I will never understand the hate Meyers gets. He's a solid player.

I think the fanbase is so spoiled from those teams that were absolutely loaded 1-9. If Meyers is your 9-hole guy and starting CF, you're in pretty good shape.
He's a good player. Definitely in the same ballpark as Straw, that people here loved.

I think part of the frustration is that his play suffered when he was in injured… and also (from my pov, at least) Chas at his best is a better overall player.

Chas was on a 30/30 pace in w/ .842 OPS in 2023 (and plays solid enough defense). I was and have been frustrated at not seeing him get a chance to be the full-time starter when his play showed that he deserved the opportunity. But nothing against Meyers in particular.
Marvin
AG
Harry Dunne said:

texasaggie2015 said:

I will never understand the hate Meyers gets. He's a solid player.

I think the fanbase is so spoiled from those teams that were absolutely loaded 1-9. If Meyers is your 9-hole guy and starting CF, you're in pretty good shape.
He's a good player. Definitely in the same ballpark as Straw, that people here loved.

I think part of the frustration is that his play suffered when he was in injured… and also (from my pov, at least) I Chas at his best is a better overall player and I was frustrated at not seeing him get a chance to be the full-time starter when his play showed that he deserved the opportunity.

Interesting comp. I would expect Straw to have better defensive numbers and on the basepaths, with Jake having a substantial edge at the plate. Not sure how accurate that assumption may be, though...

ETA:
Meyers has averaged a 91 OPS+ with a season average of 1.6 oWAR and 1.0 dWAR.
Straw averaged a 76 OPS+ with a season average of 1.4 oWAR and 1.3 dWAR.

I'd also say that Meyers may still be improving while Straw is probably done.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
Meyers is so much better than Straw. What? Straw isn't even in the league right now last I checked.
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

Meyers is so much better than Straw. What?
Yes, that's kind of my point. It doesn't make sense to hate Meyers and love .600 OPS Straw.

My frustration was at seeing Chas benched, not anything against Jake.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Meyers is so much better than Straw. What?
He didn't say better, he said better at speed and defense. Straw definitely steals more bases.
Life is better with a beagle
texasaggie2015
AG
I didn't say he said he was better. I said Meyers is much better after he said they're in the same ballpark.
Marvin
AG
It was a closer comparison than I thought, but Meyers' stats are based on half the opportunities as Straw and includes substantial rehab time from that shoulder injury. I suspect Jake will show greater value over the same five-to-six year span that Straw played.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
texasaggie2015
AG
It's not close to me at all. There's a reason why one guy has a 117 wRC+ and the other isn't in the big leagues. But to each his own I suppose
Farmer1906
AG
Straw currently has a .565 OPS in AAA this year. Yall are wild.
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

I didn't say he said he was better. I said Meyers is much better after he said they're in the same ballpark.
I agree that Meyers is probably better but it's impossible to compare a player who has been a full-time starting centerfielder for three seasons with a guy who has only ever platooned.

Besides that, I think you missed the point of the post.

texasaggie2015
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Thank you lol
texasaggie2015
AG
Probably better?? Come on lol
Harry Dunne
Farmer1906 said:

Y'all are all missing the point of the post. It was never a Straw versus Meyers comparison.

If I want someone to nitpick one part of the post that offends their delicate sensibilities and not the main point and turn it into an argument, I'll go talk to my wife.
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

Probably better?? Come on lol
OK, definitely better. All good?
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm not offended at all and I don't have delicate sensibilities. Not sure why you're making this personal. Like I said, to each his own. I strongly disagree that they're in the same ballpark and have the right to challenge that opinion.
Ag_07
AG
I'm not the biggest Jake Meyers fan but he's pretty damn far ahead of Straw.
FrioAg 00
AG
IMO it doesn't make much sense for us to continue to carry Meyers, Chas, Dubon and now Lope. We are heavy on "subs" and could use the trade value to improve pitching.

Harry Dunne
All fully agree that Meyers is a more talented player than Straw… but to me "better" is not just talent or potential but actual results.

Straw has played 150+ games in centerfield three seasons and has a 2.7 WAR season last year. Until Jake stays healthy and gets an opportunity, he's just a guy that has put a better pro rata numbers.

Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

I'm not offended at all and I don't have delicate sensibilities. Not sure why you're making this personal. Like I said, to each his own. I strongly disagree that they're in the same ballpark and have the right to challenge that opinion.
Sorry, I haven't been around for a while so you may not know my style, I'm not making it personal. I'm just trying to be funny.

I thought the wink icon was the universal sign for "in jest"
texasaggie2015
AG
And that's fine. I strongly disagree. Jake Meyers is a much, much better baseball player than Myles Straw.
AustinCountyAg
dana fixing to be on 790....
Harry Dunne
texasaggie2015 said:

And that's fine. I strongly disagree. Jake Meyers is a much, much better baseball player than Myles Straw.
All good. I think you're probably right. But I've been around long enough think the same thing about guys in small samples and then get made fun of for five years straight for having championed Tyler White.

Before anyone jumps all over me, I know Jake is not Tyler White 2.0. But I think there's also a chance he never has a 2.7 WAR season.
tjack16
AG
How anybody liked Straw is beyond me. He was Maldonado level bad on offense
JPN06
Straw won a gold glove. He's a terrible hitter, but being the best defensive CF in baseball over a full season counts for something. I wouldn't choose Straw over Jake and obviously the Astros agree but I don't think Jake is ever going to be a full-time MLB OF.

He's 28 years old and has a career .685 OPS.
Beau Holder
AG
Straw was certainly a comfortable level of familiar to someone like me who grew up watching Adam Everett hit.
Beau Holder
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

dana fixing to be on 790....

Thanks for volunteering to provide the notes
EastCoastAgNc
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 587 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.