***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,744,537 Views | 66730 Replies | Last: 6 min ago by Marvin
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's enough circumstantial evidence to suggest Jerry Seinfeld's nemesis caught at least a 24-hour case for continuing to post on the RIP Bingo threads so I'll have to take that point away from you on your scorecard, but you get the extra half point for the thread getting TKO-ed twice
Life is better with a beagle
txags92
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

There's enough circumstantial evidence to suggest Jerry Seinfeld's nemesis caught at least a 24-hour case for continuing to post on the RIP Bingo threads so I'll have to take that point away from you on your scorecard, but you get the extra half point for the thread getting TKO-ed twice
Damn, I knew I should have stuck with the easy point, but I was expecting the Ranger Mod to come through for me on that one.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
tjack16 said:

Baby's reaction to our 2024 record

blocked but I'm assuming it's a huge blow out diaper
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

tjack16 said:

Baby's reaction to our 2024 record

blocked but I'm assuming it's a huge blow out diaper

No idea why it's blocked… it was just a picture of her shocked/about to cry
wangus12
AG
Rangers fans probably are offended by your Astro baby and flagged it
_veeyah_
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Haha. I give up then. I'm just relaying what I was told late last night in regards to what it would cost to get him
Speaking of cost....any news on Tucker's possible extension?
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

MAROON said:

do you really think Bregman is just in a bad slump?

Is there a stat to compare his hit mph this year off the bat vs. his previous years?

I'm wondering because he seems to have lost a lot of power.
Bad slump? Yes and no. I think he has some real mechanical issues in his swing he needs to adjust. But I also think he's starting out rough. You can already see some improvement with his swing selection moving from April to may (lower K, higher BB)

His exit velocity is down, but he was never a guy who had high exit velo. Even in 2019 he was under 90.

His biggest issue IMO are pop ups and ground balls, not line drives and fly balls. Even at a lower exit velo, he's on top or under the ball way way too much.

I'm going to say it. If Bregman really did retool his swing this offseason with a swing coach going into a free agent season, he's an idiot. Why the hell would you take that risk?

Someone like Pena, in my opinion, needed to take the risk on retooling his swing considering how the 2023 regular season and post season went for him. Bregman should have held off on retooling his swing until after he signed his next contract. Looking like an all-time bad decision at this point. Hopefully he turns it around, for his sake, and it ends up paying off.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Check your DM for something interesting
txags92
MAROON
AG
I know he was working every day on hitting - I saw his daily Instagram posts on my feed.

I'm not a great student of hitting but he looks way too robotic and mechanical at the plate. Not sure if he always looked that way or not. he still has a very good eye for the strike zone but I find it odd that he continues to swing and pop-up inside pitches.
Daddy-O5
AG
Last night was the first game where I didn't get to watch a single pitch. Caught the last couple of innings on gamecast. Guess I at least have keep it off tonight as well to see if it pleases the baseball gods.
MaxPower
texasaggie2015 said:

Haha. I give up then. I'm just relaying what I was told late last night in regards to what it would cost to get him
If the fish are taking that then we're hopeless idiots for not having already pulled the trigger.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Julks DFA'd...someone will pick him up.
texasaggie2015
AG
I'm just really confused I guess. What kind of return do you think Jake Burger is getting? He's not a world beater by any means. He's never getting top prospects. But maybe you're more plugged in than me.
texasaggie2015
AG
This could be a blessing in disguise for Julks. Wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere we'll he'll get some opportunities.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This could be a blessing in disguise for Julks. Wish him the best and hope he lands somewhere we'll he'll get some opportunities.

I wish we had been able to move him in the off-season to get something for him.
wangus12
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Julks DFA'd...someone will pick him up.
That's rough. He just walked it off for SL the other day.

https://instagr.am/p/C6sO-N-OAlX

Granted they also lost 22-3 last night
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Someone show this to the marlins
W
AG
hold on, Julks got DFA'd in less than 2 months?

a guy that Dusty gave 323 plate appearances to last year?

The Porkchop Express
AG
W said:

hold on, Julks got DFA'd in less than 2 months?

a guy that Dusty gave 323 plate appearances to last year?

It's sort of like all those years the Rockets acted like they couldn't split up Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley, so they eventually got traded together for T-Mac.

The Magic then traded Cuttino's ass about 6 months later.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's just the victim of circumstance and he's the most expendable. He could certainly be a 4th OF somewhere in the bigs and I hope he sticks somewhere
texasaggie2015
AG
They've tried and there's just not much interest. He's not young so he may develop a little but for the most part he is who he is at this point. He'll get an opportunity somewhere though
Farmer1906
AG
We've had a lot of development from younger guys in the OF. Loperfido, Melton, Leon (full time OF), Barber, Corona, Daniels, etc.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Why is Meyers playing over Joey or Dubon? He's inferior offensively to both. It's a huge center field, he couldn't throw it across the infield without a hop
512Ag
AG
Late report on my first visit to Yankee Stadium:
1) The game Tuesday night sucked.
2) Loved the stadium. No quirky walls, no pool, no gimmicks. Just a really nice baseball atmosphere. Outdoor baseball in May in New York is perfect.
3) I expected to have issues with fans being jerks, but it never happened. A couple of drunks after the game were a little mouthy on the way out, but nothing worse than I've heard at DKR in Austin. No one got up in my face like a few people did in Chicago last season. Enjoyed talking to a few people around us. Fans were involved in the game -- except the one guy who was live streaming it on his phone and FaceTiming the whole time.
4) They HATE Jose Altuve. It's actually pretty funny, but it got old. Wasn't impressed when they cheered when he got hurt on a foul ball.
5) Food was fine. I got normal ballpark fare, and it was no better or worse that MMP.
6) The Bronx is crappy, but doable. Stayed at the Bronx Opera House Hotel, which was about a 25 or 30 minute walk to the stadium. Walked there and back, no issues.
Overall rating: 8/10, would visit again.
[Cool story bro. As you were.]
texasaggie2015
AG
He covers A LOT more ground than Dubon or Joey would be able to cover in CF. His arm isn't great, but it's a trade off. That's why he's starting in that big center field.

And I'm not ready to say Joey is a better hitter than Jake yet.

They also could be trying to get Meyers some opportunities to increase his trade value. They've shopped him a couple times.
linkdude
AG
baby steps, hopefully they have more leads to protect in the coming weeks.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, I wasn't too worried about Pressly giving up the bomb to Judge yesterday. Judge has owned him in the past. Just one of those matchups.

Personally I would have used Hader in the 8th (if I recall correctly they had some lefties coming up) and Pressly in the 9th.. but they won the game so it's a moot point.
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Why is Meyers playing over Joey or Dubon? He's inferior offensively to both. It's a huge center field, he couldn't throw it across the infield without a hop
On what planet has Dubon been playing better than Meyers?

Meyers gets on base more and hits with more power. He hits the ball harder while putting it on the ground less and not popping it up. And he still has room to improve because he's underperforming his batted ball metrics.

I would understand if it was close. Right now Dubon's wRC+ is closer to Chas's than Jake's.

Then defensively, Jake leads the team in value even with 9th most innings played. Dubon is 7th at less than 1 (0.24823) Fielding Run Value.

BELIEVE IT OR NOT, Dubon has a negative on his arm value. Its more than -1 and rounded to 0, but the arm argument is so overblown.
Wabs
AG
Does Espada hate Dubon?
Project Gemini
AG
Its cool to hate Jake on this thread
texasaggie2015
AG
Jake Meyers (2024-2024) vs. Mauricio Dubn (2024-2024): Head-to-Head Stats Comparison | Stathead.com
Farmer1906
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Jake Meyers (2024-2024) vs. Mauricio Dubn (2024-2024): Head-to-Head Stats Comparison | Stathead.com
fWAR, the superior one, has Jake at 0.7 and Doobie at 0.3 with Dubon having more PAs and Innings in the Field.
texasaggie2015
AG
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE what Dubon brings to this team. But he's not a very good centerfielder. He's a utilityman who can play centerfield.
Farmer1906
AG
Same. I was the guy arguing for Dubn in the 2022 offseason when most considered him to be another Niko Goodrum, Robel Garcia type.
First Page Last Page
Page 534 of 1907

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.