***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,351,686 Views | 60918 Replies | Last: 14 min ago by Wabs
Ag4life80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The A's are 18-20, btw
tjack16
AG
At what point do even the most optimistic Astros fans lose hope in 2024 for a turnaround?

I think I've hit that point after this series… especially if we lose again today for another sweep.

For the eternal optimists… Is it 60 games? 80? 100?
redline248
AG
Yep, Diaz is another on the list of under-performing expectations. But since it's basically a team wide issue I'm leaning to blaming the coaches.
SpaceCityAg05
AG
Yainer still has a mental/maturity block when it comes to being depended upon to drive in runs.

Even this year, go look at the splits by slot in the order. The lower he hits, the better he hits.

I have actually wondered if we should move him up to the top of the order to be a table setter. He serms to hit a lot of 2Bs with no one on base. For whatever reason - his own approach or how pitchets approach him differently - he is a completely different hitter when there are ducks on the pond.
houag78
AG
I'm going to harp on the Yordan situation again. I love the guy, love watching him hit, etc., but needless to say, something is way wrong. Think back to last year's playoffs when he hit .465 with an OPS of 1.487. He was without a doubt one of the top 2-3 hitters in MLB.
I cannot believe that a mere 6 months later the opposing pitchers have "figured him out." He is either physically or mentally injured at this point, but the 'Stros need to do something about it - 15 DL - I don't know, but he needs a break of some sort to recalibrate.
Ag_07
AG
Yanier gets a bit of pass and I think it's a bit too harsh to say he's in the group of underperforming guys not meeting expectations.

Yanier's production last season was great but there were a lot of question marks with him this season being thrust into his first full season as a starter.

IMO he was expected to be a nice role player contributor and not expected to carry this team like Bregman. I expected some large swings in production as he adjusts to playing full time and handling the staff.
tjack16
AG
He doesn't look confident at all right now. He's either watching middle middle pitches, or fouling them off. And he's not trying to go oppo at all if it's outside.
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

At what point do even the most optimistic Astros fans lose hope in 2024 for a turnaround?

I think I've hit that point after this series… especially if we lose again today for another sweep.

I think there's a major gap between people who became Astro fans this century, or more accurately once 2017 rolled around, and the older generation of us who were fans in the 20th century. Granted some of that is age related and you can't be faulted if you're young, but most Astro seasons of the first 30 years of my life were not playoff seasons. I grew up watching them from a young age, and not counting the weird '81 strike season, they only made the playoffs twice in the first 22 seasons of my life, and when they finally had a nice stretch of winning titles ('97-'01) it was with immediate, depressing playoff exits.

So I'm not sure that "losing hope" is really a thing for me. Baseball season is the best. It's long, it's almost everyday, and it's my favorite sport. I've said for years on the thread and in general to enjoy the great years, because when they're gone, it might be a long time before they return. If '23 was the last hurrah, it was the last hurrah. Will it suck when the '24 playoffs come and we aren't there? Of course, but that's no reason not to root for the team everyday in my book. They're still my hometown team. Winning baseball wasn't what made me an Astro fan in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. It was the experience of going to games with my parents & grandparents, watching the games on TV, and finding heroes there. Other than Altuve, I'm always going to love the Astros of my youth - Jose Cruz, Kevin Bass, Cesar Cedeno, Mike Scott, etc., - more than I love any of the current players.

Win or lose, I still love baseball and am always an Astro fan, and watch/listen/follow along online to every single game they play. If they don't win, I'm still rooting for good individual performances and little bits of progress. Ironically two of my favorite Astros seasons to follow along with were 1991, when they bottomed out to 97 wins, but had a ton of young talent, and 1992, when that talent picked it up around mid-season and finished 81-81.

In those pre-Internet days, as I really started to get interested in becoming a sportswriter one day, I had a notebook here I wrote down the score of every game, and a little highlight. At one point in '91, the team won 9 in a row, including 4 straight on walkoffs. In '92, they were 53-68 in late-August, and went 28-13 down the stretch. Those aren't playoff wins and divisional titles, but they are still special accomplishments that hold a strong place in my Astro memory book.

So to answer your question, hope never dies in the house of Pork. Every inning is a chance for something big, every win a chance to start a streak that turns things around.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

Yanier gets a bit of pass and I think it's a bit too harsh to say he's in the group of underperforming guys not meeting expectations.

Yanier's production last season was great but there were a lot of question marks with him this season being thrust into his first full season as a starter.

IMO he was expected to be a nice role player contributor and not expected to carry this team like Bregman. I expected some large swings in production as he adjusts to playing full time and handling the staff.
Agree with all of this, but I do think we (or alot of people on this board), expected him to be a staple in the top 5 in the order. Not necessarily "carry the team", but certainly do better than he currently is doing. I think he has massive potential to turn it around, that's why I've said he would be on my "untouchable" trade list.
MaxPower
EastCoastAgNc said:

The first trade that needs to be made is to move Meyers to open up OF playing time for Loperfido and Leon. Meyers has played well enough and has enough control that you should get decent prospects. I've mentioned elsewhere that the Royals may be the best fit as their OF sucks and they have 3 really good catching prospects, which is a huge area of need in our farm (especially if they hit lefty).

The second trade needs to be Bregman. As soon as he shows signs of life and you can get more than the QO draft picks are worth, it's time to eject. He's a rental so 4 months of rent should get you more than two, but at this point I'd like to see what Dubon can do as an everyday 3B to see if he's your answer for at least 2025.
Marvin
AG
tjack16 said:

I will never be considered the most optimistic Astros fan, so this question is not for me... haha.

Mrs. Marvin would qualify, and she still has faith. She's praying for them daily, but I do not see her watching as many games.

The only thing I am NOT on board with is playing out the string as is- meaning if this team continues to suck. Crane will lose a lot of money this year if he holds pat and plans to just hit the reset button and run it back in '25. That will not sell $20 beer this year or season tickets next year.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
W
AG
the difficulty in trading Bregman...

he is a very expensive rental for the acquiring club -- costs $5 MM per month

the trade partner is not going to send much in return if the Astros don't agree to still play half his remaining salary
wildmen09
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

"we've got to force it"...well at least they're not pressing

Ah, execution. Where have I heard this before?
W
AG
and some of what's happening in 2024 we saw in the COVID season of 2020

numerous hitters just inexplicably having down years
Wabs
AG
W said:

the trade partner is not going to send much in return if the Astros don't agree to still play half his remaining salary
He's also playing horribly right now. That's probably the biggest barrier to trading him.
W
AG
Soto update:

15 hits, 3 walks, and HBP in 30 plate appearances vs. the Astros in 6 games

good luck to Blanco
The Porkchop Express
AG
11:05 a.m.. edit New thread up

The Hot Chicks and Astros Picks thread has gone live.
https://texags.com/forums/53/topics/3459575/replies/67535019

3 central ideas
Play some bingo
Post some OFA picks without fear of a ban
**** the Rangers (fans)
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
MaxPower
W said:

Its a given that anyone we trade we need to eat the rest of their 2024 salary. It's the only way to maximize the players you get back and that's the bigger need than saving a few bucks.
W
AG
on the flipside...

Yordan vs. the Yankees in 6 games:

2 for 23 at the plate with 4 walks

1 run scored and zero RBI
Beau Holder
AG
It's not even about hope or not hope, the team is just unwatchably lethargic, un-clutch, and rudderless and it's like Groundhog Day watching them suck at the same stuff day after day, get down immediately, and pack it in. I can take close losses where it seems like they have life in them. That's not what's happening outside of the past homestand (no-showing against Gilbert notwithstanding).

They are 12 games under .500 having lost fully 2/3 of everything they've played and they're somehow almost 9 GB not even two weeks into May. Hope isn't even part of the equation until they win something like six or eight straight. Until then I'm just begging to be mildly entertained for longer than it takes Tucker to round the bases on a first-inning solo homer.

They may not have quit yet, but you sure as **** can't tell from watching them, and that's the part that gouges my eyes out night after night. And I've been a fan since I was fresh out of toddler-hood (mid 90s).
_veeyah_
AG
tjack16 said:

Haha I remember a good friend of mine and I would buy 12 dollar tickets the day of the game at the ticket window and walk all the way down to the 1st or 3rd base line cus MMP was always empty. If we were ok with 100 loss seasons we will be ok on this next mini rebuild does it suck that this run is gonna end yes, but it happens and we've seen worse.

Surprisingly I'm still optimistic, I guess all those years of watching Aggie Football made me this way. I don't watch every day anymore but I still take a peek at the ESPN app every now and then. My optimism will go away once this run of 29 games in 30 days finishes. The dog days of summer, that's when I see the good teams play well and the teams that are playing high come down to earth a bit. I still think this team is too talented to be playing like this, all they need is a nice little winning streak and some of these baseballs to bounce their way and hard hit balls to find holes and things will start to turn around. But then again it might not happen, and in Dusty's famous words, That's baseball.
texasaggie2015
AG
This series was going to decide the season for me. I'm throwing in the towel. I'll watch and keep up with them like always- but as far as playoff hopes go, I think those are long gone.
Ag_07
AG
And furthermore I think this stretch of 29 games in 30 days with 16 straight or whatever it is will dictate where this team goes in the future.

Sad we're having these conversation on May 9th
f1ghtintexasaggie
Marvin said:

tjack16 said:

I will never be considered the most optimistic Astros fan, so this question is not for me... haha.

Mrs. Marvin would qualify, and she still has faith. She's praying for them daily, but I do not see her watching as many games.

The only thing I am NOT on board with is playing out the string as is- meaning if this team continues to suck. Crane will lose a lot of money this year if he holds pat and plans to just hit the reset button and run it back in '25. That will not sell $20 beer this year or season tickets next year.

At this rate, dude will see a lot of the wrong kind of green when he looks around the stadium in the dog days...
Wabs
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

This series was going to decide the season for me. I'm throwing in the towel. I'll watch and keep up with them like always- but as far as playoff hopes go, I think those are long gone.
Yep, the nightly tuning in and watching 3 hours of Astros baseball (which I LOVED), is over for this season. I'll get interested again around trade deadline to see if we can get some prospects. Otherwise, it's all Aggie baseball (and I also watch Aggie softball).
RO519
AG
Fantastic thread!
f1ghtintexasaggie
W said:

Soto update:

15 hits, 3 walks, and HBP in 30 plate appearances vs. the Astros in 6 games

good luck to Blanco

Bean him early and often.
MaxPower
As a topic the day, I wonder how the org feels about Yanier's future as the team's catcher. No doubting the bat but his framing isn't good and, while he's obviously it's not all on him, it's fair to question how much he's helping the pitching staff. Some of that is just what any team has to deal with when you commit to a young catcher but it has been a bit eye opening how much worse the pitching has gotten.
Ag_07
AG
His framing is quite awful honestly.

But I'm not sold that's why the pitching is bad. The pitching is bad because it's a rotation held together with duct tape and super glue. We have guys pitching ML games that should be down in AAA still developing.

It's just a talent issue. That's not really on Yanier.
cc10106
Maybe Maldy will hang it up finally, and we'll ask him to come back to coach.
spadilly
S
tjack16 said:

Losing on Sunday did it for me.

On the plus side, it'll be more affordable to take the family later in the season.
texasaggie2015
AG
There were a lot of concerns even up until last year about his work ethic and desire to play catcher full time. This doesn't mean he's lazy. Playing catcher just requires hours of time watching film and game prepping with the pitchers as well as the other prep that goes on every day. Some guys just aren't made for it and some, to be frank, just don't have the baseball IQ for it. I haven't specifically heard anything this year, but I know he had taken huge strides in the right direction. It's possible it's just not enough and he'll be a 1B/DH long term. I'm not really sure.

He came into the spring of 2023 motivated and working hard to get better behind the plate, but perhaps he's gotten a little complacent now that he has a starting job. Who knows. That's just speculation based off the minimal improvement I've seen this year.

I think it's fair to question whether Yainer has played a role in the pitcher's struggling. Is he solely to blame? Definitely not. But it's fair to question whether it's part of it. Nobody is above criticism on this team anymore.
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I was looking at this road trip as the deciding factor for me. 4-2 trip and I was going to remain optimistic especially with a series win over the A's.
But back to back non competitive games to start just made me feel apathetic. I had zero emotion when Tucker hit the first inning homerun yesterday, and zero emotion each time the Yankees went deep. Never thought I'd feel that especially when playing in the Bronx

I'm just hoping we get some great play from the young guys to give us hope for 2025 and beyond.
MAROON
AG
what's the consensus on Loperfido here?

Is he going to stick on the big club for the rest of the season or is he gonna get sent back down? JAG AAA or potential major leaguer?
wessimo
AG
First Page Last Page
Page 520 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.