***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,780,962 Views | 35026 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by BadAggie
DeProfundis
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Farmer1906 said:

If that's true then it also means more AAA pitchers in MLB. The logic doesn't exactly work.

The logic works, he's saying Loperfido is feasting on AA pitching right now, and isn't at an AAA level, so when he comes into the MLB, he will be seeing a mix of MLB and AAA level talent; and will suck, as does Jackson Holliday
Wabs
AG
A cautionary data point on the case for Abreu:

4 hits, 1 RBI, .073 Avg, .256 OPS

Call up Loperfido.
DeProfundis
Looking at the data, just comparing top 3 teams in runs scored per game so far this season compared to last season averages, it seems like runs per game are up 7%

https://www.teamrankings.com/mlb/stat/runs-per-game?date=2024-04-18
Boiling Denim
Farmer1906 said:

If that's true then it also means more AAA pitchers in MLB. The logic doesn't exactly work.
Not when you have a finite number of roster spots for pitchers. If the Astros had a fully healthy pitching staff across the board they would have more than 13 mlb level pitchers. Where do 14, 15, 16+ go?
iBrad
AG
Wabs said:

tjack16 said:

I'm willing to admit I was too hard on Dusty. He had his flaws in 2023 but it's clear we had deeper issues.

Maldy as well. Would have loved to keep him on as a bench coach
I'm not willing to admit that about Dusty, but I am willing to admit I may have been wrong about Espada. Not impressed at all so far. I really do hope that changes, though..

If we didn't have so many players injured and struggling, you'd probably be in love with Espada.
eATMup-Reveille
Ag4life80 said:

I heard today from a source closely affiliated w Cinco Ranch baseball, that a recently promoted player was/is appalled by the clubhouse attitude
Time to shake things up, Joe

If true, it will be interesting to see whether they will be able to pull out of this before "Rebuilding" is seriously considered.
512Ag
AG
KCup17 said:

Are yall approaching panic mode? Cuz I'm creeping that way.

Not yet....
texasaggie2015
AG
MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning
I've been mentioning this for a while now. It's unfortunate. The brains behind the operation are no longer around and Crane has very much taken the reigns himself. He's a smart man... but being a smart man and being equipped to run an entire baseball organization are two completely different things.

I've been told he lost his ability to trust his people after the scandal came out. Things haven't been the same since.
texasaggie2015
AG
Ag4life80 said:

I heard today from a source closely affiliated w Cinco Ranch baseball, that a recently promoted player was/is appalled by the clubhouse attitude
This is also something I've hinted at a couple times. This was an issue even last year to some degree but it's really taken a turn this year.

I will say that I was told by a very reliable source last night that if things don't start looking up soon (as in the next couple series), Crane very well might decide he needs to shake things up and bring in a new manager to run the clubhouse. Something to monitor.
Johnsy3
AG
I don't think we'll see the Vincent Vega gif today...we all need a break
AustinCountyAg
MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning
there a youtube link or something anyone can post to listen? Twitter links are blocked on my work computer
AustinCountyAg
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag4life80 said:

This is also something I've hinted at a couple times. This was an issue even last year to some degree but it's really taken a turn this year.

I will say that I was told by a very reliable source last night that if things don't start looking up soon (as in the next couple series), Crane very well might decide he needs to shake things up and bring in a new manager to run the clubhouse. Something to monitor.
has the ever been done before? first year manager/coach at any professional level being fired a quarter way through there first season?
Boiling Denim
texasaggie2015 said:

MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning
I've been mentioning this for a while now. It's unfortunate. The brains behind the operation are no longer around and Crane has very much taken the reigns himself. He's a smart man... but being a smart man and being equipped to run an entire baseball organization are two completely different things.

I've been told he lost his ability to trust his people after the scandal came out. Things haven't been the same since.
I can already hear the Bregman and Tucker interviews the first spring training they have away from our organization

"I'm just glad to be having fun again"

"The locker room is incredible. This place feels like when I first got called up"

"I've got that fire again"

etc etc
tjack16
AG
I'm just curious what could have changed in the clubhouse post 2022.

Last season it was virtually the same roster as the WS champions one minus Gurriel.

So how has it fallen so much in 1.5 years?
Bonnettecj1
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag4life80 said:

AustinCountyAg
Bonnettecj1 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Ag4life80 said:

my god. I just threw up in my mouth with that thought entering my brain wave. Please Joe, figure it the **** out
Ag_07
AG
If I were to guess it's not really the players in the locker room but now there are a handful of lame duck players like Bregs, Framber, Tucker who have accepted they won't be back and have FA upcoming and they've become complacent and not fully focused on the task at hand.

Kinda like when you turn in your 2 week notice at work and you put it on cruise control knowing you'll be out the door soon.

Not that those guys are the guilty ones but I can see how that attitude can manifest subconsciously and spread quickly.

I'll be interested to see if things get sorted out when JV shows up.
iBrad
AG
We parted ways with Click after a World Series win. If we fire a first-time manager right now, it won't be a good look. Knowing Crane, he'd probably hire Buck Showalter.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Wabs
AG
So it sounds like we have our own version of Jerry Jones. That's extremely disappointing.
iBrad
AG
We should have hired Brad Ausmus.
AustinCountyAg
Ag_07 said:

If I were to guess it's not really the players in the locker room but now there are a handful of lame duck players like Bregs, Framber, Tucker who have accepted they won't be back and have FA upcoming and they've become complacent and not fully focused on the task at hand.

Kinda like when you turn in your 2 week notice at work and you put it on cruise control knowing you'll be out the door soon.

Valdez and Tucker aren't free agents after this year. It's a little early for them to start "lame ducking" it in terms of there performance.

I could see Bregs doing it though. he's ready to go play for the yankees
texasaggie2015
AG
Nobody works harder than Alex Bregman. Don't let his results fool you.
n_touch
Ag_07 said:

Would this not be the complete opposite? This whole year is then an extended audition for them to show what they are made of. Not show teams that when I don't have a long contract I won't work hard.
Farmer1906
AG
I thought guys have career years to get paid. Now they're lame ducks?
AustinCountyAg
texasaggie2015 said:

Nobody works harder than Alex Bregman. Don't let his results fool you.
I know he works hard and grinds. My point was more along the lines of I know he won't be back next year and isn't mentally invested in this team as much as he was five years ago. I know he still wants to get his #'s, but the win column isn't at the top of his priority list. He wants to go to LA, or NY
_veeyah_
AG
This is why I hate when they show highlights of games of like '17 or '19. All those guys are like high fiving each other laughing, joking around enjoying the game. Breggy with his Mcgregor walk, man those were good times! Now its like meh, whatever business as usual. I'm sure it is extremely difficult to keep doing that in a long season but that's why you bring in new blood, new players, new coaches change things up a bit. I knew this run would eventually would come to an end but I didn't think it would be like this. I hope Espada and co. figure it out, cus this team is way too talented to be playing like this.
Ag_07
AG
Farmer1906 said:

My point being they're in get my money mode as opposed to lets go win another one mode.

And I'm just spitballing here.

None of us, well most of us, don't know anything about what's going on except that something has changed and not for the better.
iBrad
AG
Farmer1906 said:

It could be a situation where they are focused on their performance and not as concerned about the team. They still put in the work. They still want to play their best. But the outcome of the game isn't of as much importance, which becomes evident in their locker room presence and interactions with others. They basically just show up, do their thing, and leave.
texasaggie2015
AG
I actually don't think he ends up in either of those places. I would keep an eye on Arizona.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Ag4life80 said:

So hypothetically, if a manager change were to happen, who are some realistic options? I doubt we pull anyone who currently has a job (thankfully that would eliminate Ausmus). Would he try and get Showalter? I'm drawing a blank on any other candidates
Bonnettecj1
Bagwell. Not even kidding.
The Porkchop Express
EastCoastAgNc said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Ag4life80 said:

So hypothetically, if a manager change were to happen, who are some realistic options? I doubt we pull anyone who currently has a job (thankfully that would eliminate Ausmus). Would he try and get Showalter? I'm drawing a blank on any other candidates
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
texasaggie2015
AG
First- I just want to make 100% clear that I'm not saying a change will happen or that a change is expected to happen. I was just told last night that it wouldn't be surprising. Crane hates losing.

As far as names go... I really have no idea but I would speculate it would be a veteran guy.
iBrad
AG
This weekend's series in Washington with Verlander, Blanco, and Javier starting is feeling like a must-sweep series.
First Page Last Page
Page 301 of 1001

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.