***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,820,715 Views | 35709 Replies | Last: 13 min ago by Mathguy64
R-Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tjack16 said:

eATMup-Reveille said:

Ranked #3 in Batting Average
Ranked #29 in ERA

Pitching…Pitching…Pitching…some things never change when analyzing problems.

15th in runs scored
30th in runs given up

3rd in BA, 15th in runs scored. That tells you all you need to know. That's biblical level unclutch.
Beau Holder
AG
Pitching was not the reason we lost any of these three games.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

All I do is Nguyen
n_touch
EastCoastAgNc said:

He shall henceforth be known as Jeff Easterbaggs

I thought we were told Bags didn't have a lot of input?
Ag_07
AG
I'm not an insider but even I find it very hard to believe Bagwell is making personnel decisions.

He's just an easy scapegoat everyone likes to cling to when things are bad.
agproducer
AG
A lot of names I don't recognize today on the thread.
Boiling Denim
Maybe we're the 2022 Phillies…they had an awful May and were 21-29 at the 50 game mark. Already out of division contention. Bullpen and defensive issues
tjack16
AG
Boiling Denim said:

Maybe we're the 2022 Phillies…they had an awful May and were 21-29 at the 50 game mark. Already out of division contention. Bullpen and defensive issues

2022 Phillies had a lot more swagger
Beau Holder
AG
Feels more likely we're the 2023 Cardinals. Too much talent to be that bad but organizational malpractice and general malaise led to them never righting the ship.

Too early to know but it keeps not getting better. Braves were down Strider, Murphy, and then Ozzie. Never mattered.
f1ghtintexasaggie
tjack16 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Probably not when they were getting their ass beat like we are now.
Maroon&Fight
Glad I didn't know there was an afternoon game today. Also sad because I'm already tuning out whereas 2015-2023 I was locked in on every game of the season
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Get Breggy out of his shelled again and Peña doing some of his heart hand single things, add in some dugout moves from Altuve Chas and Yordan and we are oozing with swag
DeProfundis
The organizational mismanagement is near criminal. We are a professional baseball team who is having to DFA someone every day in order to have enough pitchers to get through a game. France, who should be a #5 is one of our few actual Major league starters, and we have Jon f'ing singleton as a better option at first base than the guy we're paying 15 million

How in the **** didn't we grab another starter?
tjack16
AG
f1ghtintexasaggie said:

tjack16 said:

Boiling Denim said:

Probably not when they were getting their ass beat like we are now.

Have you seen Bryce Harper play? That's a guy who is fired up 24/7
Sex Panther
AG
DeProfundis said:

and we have Jon f'ing singleton as a better option at first base than the guy we're paying 15 million

19.5 million

fullback44
AG
And he just got out 3
KCup17
AG
Are yall approaching panic mode? Cuz I'm creeping that way.
AggiEE
BTKAG97
AG
KCup17 said:

Nah. Just pretend the season hasn't started yet.
Ag_07
AG
This place is too much right now. I think I'm going to take a few days off and let the stench waft out of here for a bit.
f1ghtintexasaggie
AggiEE said:

Wrong answer, Joe. Past success is no guarantee of future success, especially when we are talking about an aging player. If we didn't see this exact same situation play out for 90% of the season last year, maybe we could be more patient.
Mathguy64
AG
Ag_07 said:

This place is too much right now. I think I'm going to take a few days off and let the stench waft out of here for a bit.

Yep. No game tomorrow makes it an easy walkabout.
DeProfundis
I like Espada, and think he'll be good, and I know he has to support his player, but that's stupid.

Aging players fall off of a cliff all the time, it happened to Pujols, it happened to Cabrera, it even happened to Ken Griffey Jr, who had an OPS of .454 in 33 games his last year.

When you play at the level of MLB competition, you lose a fraction of a step and you're done. You can't help but lose a fraction of a step as a 40 year old.
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

I'm not an insider but even I find it very hard to believe Bagwell is making personnel decisions.

He's just an easy scapegoat everyone likes to cling to when things are bad.
He definitely meets with Crane but really it's people trying to put together what limited facts we get into a coherent story. After Click left and we had no GM, Bagwell definitely met with Abreu to recruit him. That's probably not too unusual in general for a former star to do but when you have no GM (or any real President of Baseball Ops), it certainly gives the appearance he's running the show. aggie2015 says we were making that love regardless but it doesn't sound like a Click move so seems more likely Crane was gonna demand it regardless of who the GM was.
cc10106
Turned on the replay when I got home. Just another game we had no biz losing. Gotta keep pressure on teams better. We got up 2 runs in the 6th and took the foot off the gas.

Braves fans will gloat, but we swept them in ATL last year. It's embarrassing to have been swept 3 times already this season. Save it with the injury excuses, Dana.
Big Al 1992
AG
Tucker may still be putting up numbers and Bregs is more miss than hit so far, but it seems they are just playing out their 2 year and one year string respectively- none of this rallying the troops, they are just wanting to get to their big pay day. And could that be an undercurrent in the clubhouse?

The Porkchop Express
agproducer said:

A lot of names I don't recognize today on the thread.
You could have said the same thing in Oct 2017
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Ag_07
AG
Yeah for sure.

I have no doubt he meets with Crane just like his other advisors. He also interacts with players during ST and during the season which is no big deal either. I actually tend to think Bagwell would make a good hitting coach. When he talks mechanics and hitting he knows his shlt.

But as far as personnel decisions I just haven't bought into that storyline. He's an advisor. He offers his opinion and he's just one piece of the puzzle that goes in to making decisions.

I lean towards this entire 'Crane needs to stop letting Bagwell make personnel decisions' as BS. I don't believe that's happening.
fullback44
AG
F… I thought this game was live… Fubo sucks ..

Geez just saw it on ESPN ..
tjack16
AG
KCup17 said:

Not panic yet. I don't think this is a WS team at all but no panic on missing playoffs.

However I'll be in panic mode if this upcoming 8 game stretch is not 5-3 at the very least … 4-4 or worse and we are in trouble. Two of those teams are not good at all and the cubs are a fringe WC contender at best

The Porkchop Express
tjack16 said:

KCup17 said:

Not panic yet. I don't think this is a WS team at all but no panic on missing playoffs.

However I'll be in panic mode if we lose both of the next two series… especially if we lose the one in Washington.

If this upcoming 8 game stretch is not 5-3 at the very least then we are in trouble. Two of those teams are not good at all and the cubs are a fringe WC contender at best

I'm not saying this on the record, but if you needed Abreu to maybe just "disappear" and retain all that salary we owe him, the Mexico City series might present a lot of opportunities you're not normally getting in an MLB town.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
MaxPower
Ag_07 said:

Yeah for sure.

I have no doubt he meets with Crane just like his other advisors. He also interacts with players during ST and during the season which is no big deal either. I actually tend to think Bagwell would make a good hitting coach. When he talks mechanics and hitting he knows his shlt.

But as far as personnel decisions I just haven't bought into that storyline. He's an advisor. He offers his opinion and he's just one piece of the puzzle that goes in to making decisions.

I lean towards this entire 'Crane needs to stop letting Bagwell make personnel decisions' as BS. I don't believe that's happening.
Maybe it isn't Bagwell but that just means it is Crane, which might actually be worse. Bagwell might go away after he embarrasses himself a few times but Crane will be here the next decade (in all likelihood). And yes I know we won two WS with him but that was when he was letting his GM do his job.
MaxPower
It sure would be a shame if he took a 737 MAX….
AgLA06
AG
Maybe people just make stuff up to make themselves feel better about the situation.
First Page Last Page
Page 299 of 1021

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.