***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,820,512 Views | 35707 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by Ag_07
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wabs
AG
My worry about this season is quickly transitioning to concern about whether we will have the right people in place to make the best decisions on a rebuild. Yes, too early in mid-April to make the decision to start rebuilding, but I don't think that time is too far away. The next 15-20 games are critical to that decision. The farm is bare thin and we do have pieces that contending teams would value,

Here's to a 10 game winning streak to make this argument moot.
cc10106
The Astros will lose significant season ticket sales in the future if fans here ever lose faith in Crane. The team on Kirby proved this.
W
AG
AggiEE said:

there must be a poster on the wall in the front office that says "back of the baseball card"

Dana and Bagwell use that phrase too
Ag4life80
AG
This team has lost it's edge. Just going through the motions
With Yordan, I can't tell much difference between his home run trot or his ground ball trot
Move Bregman down in the lineup. If nothing else to piss him off
I do not like Yordan in the 2 hole ...at all. Move Pena back there, he's earned it
Chas needs to sit, he's lost
I heard today from a source closely affiliated w Cinco Ranch baseball, that a recently promoted player was/is appalled by the clubhouse attitude
Time to shake things up, Joe
dixichkn
AG
KCup17 said:

Are yall approaching panic mode? Cuz I'm creeping that way.
Why panic? I mean, we have a first baseman that can't even hit his jersey number, a bullpen whose ERA's are about to eclipse THEIR jersey numbers and a collective team energy that makes roadkill look exciting.

It's early, yes. But damn.
bearkatag15
AG
tjack16 said:

KCup17 said:

Are yall approaching panic mode? Cuz I'm creeping that way.

Not panic yet. I don't think this is a WS team at all but no panic on missing playoffs.

However I'll be in panic mode if this upcoming 8 game stretch is not 5-3 at the very least … 4-4 or worse and we are in trouble. Two of those teams are not good at all and the cubs are a fringe WC contender at best

Worth noting that the Nationals just beat the Dodgers in LA 2 out of 3.... They won't be an easy out IMO
W
AG
going back to the batting average vs. runs scored predicament...

the 3 players with the most RISP at-bats:

23 for Tucker
23 for Pena
23 for the Abreu-Singleton combo

the front office has to ask themselves if these are the guys they want to have the most RISP at-bats

next on the list is Yordan with 19

what's interesting...in 5 games this year...Yordan did not get any RISP at-bats

also...Tucker has drawn 6 walks in RISP plate appearances

(like in the 10th inning today)
esd19
AG
Ag4life80 said:

This team has lost it's edge. Just going through the motions
With Yordan, I can't tell much difference between his home run trot or his ground ball trot
Move Bregman down in the lineup. If nothing else to piss him off
I do not like Yordan in the 2 hole ...at all. Move Pena back there, he's earned it
Chas needs to sit, he's lost
I heard today from a source closely affiliated w Cinco Ranch baseball, that a recently promoted player was/is appalled by the clubhouse attitude
Time to shake things up, Joe

This is the saddening part. Seems like most of the dudes aren't there mentally.

I get that this was almost 7 years ago now, but Bregman today is not the same person as middle fingers to the world Bregman from his early years. Same can be said for 2022 Peña vs. Peña today. The list goes on…

The only one who exhibits the slightest semblance of passion these days is 'Tuve.
FrioAg 00
AG
I would be approaching panic mode, but I feel like I'm almost bypassing it directly to apathy and that has more to do with the Aggies kicking butt right now.
Twisted Helix
I blame the abject lack of titties on this thread.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

This is why you never sign a pitcher from the rays. They use and abuse their pitchers until there's nothing left.
iBrad
AG
W said:

going back to the batting average vs. runs scored predicament...

the 3 players with the most RISP at-bats:

23 for Tucker
23 for Pena
23 for the Abreu-Singleton combo

the front office has to ask themselves if these are the guys they want to have the most RISP at-bats

next on the list is Yordan with 19

what's interesting...in 5 games this year...Yordan did not get any RISP at-bats

also...Tucker has drawn 6 walks in RISP plate appearances

(like in the 10th inning today)

That makes sense. The guys with the highest OBPs bat ahead of them. The same guys can't get on base and drive themselves in.
bearkatag15
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

This is why you never sign a pitcher from the rays. They use and abuse their pitchers until there's nothing left.

We signed Stanek and he was pretty great for us
The Porkchop Express
As a fan it's mostly about resetting my expectations and remembering that for most of the fan bases around the league, the hope is to just try and win today's game. When the team made the 05 WS and then got mediocre fairly quickly again, there was the feeling that at least we had made 1. I can't even imagine going back to myself back then and saying hey 20 years from now we'll have gone to 4 more WS and won twice. Maybe it's over. I don't know. So I have to just go back to the old way of being a fan, which is strikingly like working a 12 step program - a lot of the serenity prayer and only worrying about the day in front of you.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
agproducer
AG
For some levity (speaking of Rays pitchers):

RED AG 98
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

I would be approaching panic mode, but I feel like I'm almost bypassing it directly to apathy and that has more to do with the Aggies kicking butt right now.
There seems to be a mysterious force in the universe that prevents mutual success at any given time between Aggie baseball, Aggie football, and the Astros.

TRM
AG
Twisted Helix said:

I blame the abject lack of titties on this thread.
So we need 2 days of rally boobs to exorcise the demons.

iBrad
AG
Same force is generally preventing our hitters, starters, and relievers from all being good on the same night.
KCup17
AG
And the backup to the first baseman is equally as bad.
W
AG
not to put all the pressure on Pena...

but another interesting stat...

Pena leads the team in at-bats with runners on base

he has 45 AB's with someone on base...and has 1 double and 1 HR in those 45 AB's

could make an argument --- that he's the most important person in the batting order
fullback44
AG
iBrad said:

Same force is generally preventing our hitters, starters, and relievers from all being good on the same night.
What is crazy is if you look at the list of injuries below, the top 5 players on that list are (were) our 5 best pitchers… if these guys slowly start coming back we could turn things around, we are scoring enough runs to win plenty of games. If some of those pitchers don't make it back we are doomed for this year

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/injuries/_/name/hou/houston-astros
All I do is Nguyen
tjack16
AG
I'm willing to admit I was too hard on Dusty. He had his flaws in 2023 but it's clear we had deeper issues.

Maldy as well. Would have loved to keep him on as a bench coach
Wabs
AG
tjack16 said:

I'm willing to admit I was too hard on Dusty. He had his flaws in 2023 but it's clear we had deeper issues.

Maldy as well. Would have loved to keep him on as a bench coach
I'm not willing to admit that about Dusty, but I am willing to admit I may have been wrong about Espada. Not impressed at all so far. I really do hope that changes, though..
MaxPower

Ug, very concerning
Mr.Bond
AG
MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning

What'd I miss
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Buck Compton
AG
Mr.Bond said:

MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning

What'd I miss
Basically that Crane let his ego get in the way and now thinks he's smarter than the "nerds".
Mr.Bond
AG
Buck Compton said:

Mr.Bond said:

MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning

What'd I miss
Basically that Crane let his ego get in the way and now thinks he's smarter than the "nerds".

Oh wow. I take it Reggie is no longer on staff.....
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

The Porkchop Express
Down from 7th to 17th in ESPN's rankings today
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
All I do is Nguyen
These memes are FANTASTIC

MaxPower
That was in response to a question on whether they have taken a step back from how Luhnow and Click evaluated and developed players.
AustinCountyAg
EastCoastAgNc said:

He shall henceforth be known as Jeff Easterbaggs
Someone should make Bagwell reimburse Crane for the ****ty contracts given to Montero and Abreu. Maybe then he will learn to STFU and not get involved with baseball roster decisions. If he wants to shop up in the spring and work on fielding drills with them go for it, but he has no business having any influence over the roster.
Boiling Denim
A cautionary data point on the case for Loperfido.

Jackson Holliday is off to an awful start. This is certainly common with young guys and when your team is still winning you can ride the wave and let him adjust.

More to the point I think the Orioles GM Elias made a good observation that with the uptick in arm injuries across the league most any and all major league level arms are called up. AAA pitching is basically AA level right now and a lot of these hitters are feasting which means the success rate of trying to call up hitters destroying "AAA" pitching will be even more difficult as they jump from effectively AA to major league level pitching; a significant skill gap
Farmer1906
AG
If that's true then it also means more AAA pitchers in MLB. The logic doesn't exactly work.
First Page Last Page
Page 300 of 1021

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.