***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,876,896 Views | 36720 Replies | Last: 57 min ago by Beau Holder
BudFox7
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Pressly is washed.
Big Bucks
AG
tjack16 said:

So to all the "it's too early" people… when is it okay to worry?

This team just doesn't look good and lacks fire.

I wasn't worried after the first 3 series … but this series and the royals series were seriously concerning because now the losing is a pattern

Losing is a disease…
Booma94
AG
tjack16 said:

Booma94 said:

BayAg_14 said:

I agree with you, but 10-4 is a stretch.
Supposedly getting 2 starters back within the week. I don't think 10-4 or 9-5 is that much of a longshot.

Yeah but given our starting pitching was great this week and we still got swept, it might not make a difference who we get back. This team finds ways to lose and it will continue until the back end of the pen and offense wake up
True, but being able to move some of the guys who are starting out of necessity to the bullpen gives the team a chance to move some of the other guys around in the pen and finding a way to replace Maton and Neris.

Of course, having your high leverage guys melting down is another issue entirely, but knowing there's help on the way might at least provide a little bit of spark.
W
AG
JABQ04 said:

I'd rather try the double steal.
1) best case both RISP with no outs
2) sac fly tied it up
3) eliminates GIDP
4) they nail one, still have a RISP

that's why Larry Dierker always liked the double steal
spadilly
S
Wabs
AG
Mathguy64 said:

The argument "they are incapable of bunting because they never do it" seems strained at best.

The team just spent a month in spring training. I find it hard to believe they never once did a live pitching bunt drill.

The rules have changed with Manfredball, pitch clicks emphasizing speed, etc. Not being capable of laying down a sac bunt when one run wins it or ties it in this new age is admitting you are willing to concede a strategic advantage.
This x1000.

ALL professional players (especially MLB level) should be able to lay down a ****ing bunt. ALL of them. Are some going to be better than others? Of course. Are you going to be successful 100% bunting? Certainly not. But over the past 2 seasons we are something like 1-9 in extra-inning games trying to mash them in or win with a long ball. IT HASN'T WORKED. DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT. JUST TRY SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Didn't Espada strut around all spring saying we were going to be aggressive? Not sending Tucker and keeping the GIDP intact IS NOT AGGRESSIVE. Not bunting Pena and squeezing Meyers home IS NOT AGGRESSIVE.

This team has massive problems, and the more time goes on, I'm laying more and more blame at Espada/Brown. There is NO REASON for Abreu to be in the lineup right now. His bat blows and now his fielding ****ing cost us a game. How much longer, Joe? How much longer?
spadilly
S
I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of this bring them up/send them down game Dana is playing. Absolutely no forethought and no development going on to help them gain experience.
Beau Bevers
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

I struggled with that one but I want his bat in there as much as possible
Then we are going to need to leave Yordan at DH and out of the field until we sort out our best lineup.
The Beef01
AG
n_touch said:

6-7 in games where they led on the 8th inning this year

They have been outscored 30-4 from the 8th inning-on this season…that's atrocious.
Ag_07
AG
spadilly said:

I'm getting absolutely sick and tired of this bring them up/send them down game Dana is playing. Absolutely no forethought and no development going on to help them gain experience.

I don't really like it either but when you go a full turn through the rotation with your starters going less than 3 IP each game desperate times call for desperate measures.
Faustus
If Abreu continues at this torrid pace for the rest of the season he'd match Altuve's current hit total (31) by the end.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/player/_/id/33095/jose-abreu
(Link doesn't include today's ABs, so the projection of 32 hits through 130 games should drop by one. Bleak humor is all we have at the moment.)
W
AG
Bioish said:

Luckily the AL West isn't doing so great so far
this is the great hope

a terrible division bails out the 'stros terrible start
_veeyah_
AG
I think the frustrating part with this team is that almost every team in every major sport that has ever won a championship or made a deep run into the playoffs the following year they always try to get better by adding some key pieces to their team. The Astros did absolutely nothing, didn't make any moves in places they needed. Feels like they also never put pressure on the other team, make the pitcher think a little bit about the guy on 1st, make the catcher have a good throw to 2nd to get Tucker out. Make things happen instead of just waiting, something has to change, whatever they've been doing towards the end of last season and the beginning of this one it's not working. Feels like they're just complacent, they could've easily swept the Braves with the way Astros starters pitched but nope, the offense was dead. Everybody keeps talking about pitching staff and pitching staff, I'm more worried about the offense and their approach at the plate. Espada said they'll be more aggressive on the bases and I have yet to see that. Even though I kept telling my friends not to be worried it's still early in the season, this series has me a little worried and mainly cus of the offense.
Ray McKigney
They stink. Gut it. Start over.
W
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Off day tomorrow.

What I would like to see between now and then.

IL stint for Abreu, call up Loperfido

Altuve (2B)
Alvarez (LF)
Bregman (3B)
Tucker (RF)
Diaz (C)
Pena (SS)
Meyers/McCormick (CF) ask Alexa to flip a coin
Loperfido (1B)
Dubon (DH)

this is a good lineup

what's interesting...the plan in spring training was for Pena to hit 8th or 9th

but the struggles of Abreu and Chas have pushed him up
Wabs
AG
Because Espada seems to think success is going to just fall in his lap with the talent on this roster. No, it's not Joe. You are going to have to be creative. You are going to have to take risks. You are going to have to grow some balls. That's what successful managers (and people in general) do.
bearkatag15
AG
Ray McKigney said:

They stink. Gut it. Start over.

I look forward to not seeing you again on this thread
Marvin
AG
I wasn't upset about not bunting Diaz. I was screaming at the live feed for Espada not sending Tucker to stay out of the double play.
W
AG
yes, that was the decision to question

especially considering Pena's four prior GiDP's
CFTXAG10
AG
4/6 series we have played so far are against teams currently leading their division with a winning record. KC is a half game back of Cleveland at 12-6. All 6 opponents have a winning record. The sweeps came against teams off to a hot start with records of 13-6, 12-6, and 12-5.

Wabs
AG
Marvin said:

I wasn't upset about not bunting Diaz. I was screaming at the live feed for Espada not sending Tucker to stay out of the double play.
Instead Espada asked himself "what would Dusty do", and he did that thing. Never do that. Ever.
Mathguy64
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

4/6 series we have played so far are against teams currently leading their division with a winning record. KC is a half game back of Cleveland at 12-6. All 6 opponents have a winning record. The sweeps came against teams off to a hot start with records of 13-6, 12-6, and 12-5.

The flip side of that is those teams have good records because they swept a bad team.
_veeyah_
AG
Exactly! Pressure the other team into throwing to the correct base, the perfect throw, TRY and create something. Something has to change, unfortunately I don't think it will. Especially after hearing Espadas post game interview. I hope I'm wrong though, I hope I'm wrong.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mathguy64 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

The flip side of that is those teams have good records because they swept a bad team.

And they are taking care of business against other good teams. NY and ATL have impressive resumes so far. Harder to defend the KC sweep.

My main point was just to suggest to the cliff jumpers that the person who put together our opening 20 game schedule did us zero favors.
W
AG
and of course Espada is a first year manager

and there are hazards associated with hiring a rookie manager
htxag09
AG
All I know is at this point I don't expect us to bring home the manfred runner. This team is streaky as hell. When they're on its lights out. But when they aren't on they can't manufacture a run to save their life…or season.
linkdude
AG
82-60 gets us to 88-74... this is probably what it would take to be in range of the division/WC.

Let's hope for good JV to start on Friday...
Big Al 1992
AG
To go back in the way back machine and get predictions for the first 20 games. The most cynical on here would've said absolute worst case 10-10. This isn't fun.
linkdude
AG
It's usually hard to sweep a team in baseball. Turn three games our way and 9-11 isn't as hard a pill to swallow. That's not how things work of course, and we'll have to bank a few sweeps of our own, hopefully within the division, to turn things around.
tjack16
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

To go back in the way back machine and get predictions for the first 20 games. The most cynical on here would've said absolute worst case 10-10. This isn't fun.

I would have predicted 11-9 even with the Framber injury
eATMup-Reveille
Ranked #3 in Batting Average
Ranked #29 in ERA

Pitching…Pitching…Pitching…some things never change when analyzing problems.
linkdude
AG
early, but this is a good quote to summarize the mood
Frok
AG
High dollar contracts to aging stars. It'll get you every time.
tjack16
AG
eATMup-Reveille said:

Ranked #3 in Batting Average
Ranked #29 in ERA

Pitching…Pitching…Pitching…some things never change when analyzing problems.

15th in runs scored
30th in runs given up
EastCoastAgNc
AG

He shall henceforth be known as Jeff Easterbaggs
First Page Last Page
Page 298 of 1050

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.