***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,879,613 Views | 67467 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Mathguy64
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd take him out but im not a big Jon truther
Wabs
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Are you a Belt or Loperdifo truther?
Farmer1906
AG

dixichkn
AG
I'm blaming this season on that little rotten-ass HEB blackberry kid
CFTXAG10
AG
Wabs said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Are you a Belt or Loperdifo truther?

Im good with trying something different, so yes.

Espada/Abreu for Hinch/Torkelson straight up.
Mathguy64
AG
That is a lot of talent. And ATL has to be crapping their pants worried he's on the short list for a TJ.
Farmer1906
AG
So many injuries.

Project Gemini
AG
Maroon&Fight said:

What does Bregman do in the off-season that warrants a 2 month suck fest to begin each year?

Salsa sales
AggiEE
The team seems to give up when we're down by significant runs. It doesn't help that when we're down by significant runs, we then pivot to our absolute garbage middle relief.

So, why put in the effort tonight. They just check out.

I'm really not that concerned because we have great starting pitching still which seems to have proven itself a bit early on. And we'll be getting more players soon that will help our middle relief situation.

But the offense has always been incredibly bipolar. Largely good enough to win many games by a hair, and then you have this distribution of massive blowouts and no-shows.

We have too many players that get into "funks" and not enough players that are just consistently good. I think Altuve tends to avoid the funks more than most, but Tucker, Alvarez, Bregman, Abreu, etc really know how to collectively tank seemingly all at the same time.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
When JV gets back will Brown be the one to the pen?
AggiEE
MosesHallRAB04 said:

If JP continues doing well, that would not surprise me.
bearkatag15
AG
MosesHallRAB04 said:

Likely Blanco to the pen
tjack16
AG
bearkatag15 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Likely Blanco to the pen

I'd rather it be brown. He doesn't go deep enough into games and he will tax the pen
The Porkchop Express
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Worry? Sure.

Claim the season is over, the window is closed, blah blah blah? Sure, but you sound like a dumbass
I don't think I warranted being called a dumbass. You're not my wife.
TRM
AG
tjack16 said:

bearkatag15 said:

MosesHallRAB04 said:

Likely Blanco to the pen

I'd rather it be brown. He doesn't go deep enough into games and he will tax the pen
It'd rather Brown go to Sugarland and stay stretched out.
W
AG
we did discuss on the offseason thread...

the Astros are starting with a difficult schedule

J.P. better have his location tomorrow
Silent For Too Long
I think we go 6 man rotation.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Silent For Too Long said:

I think we go 6 man rotation.

You might be right.
Boiling Denim
I just don't see it with Hunter Brown. I assume there's some advanced stuff that says he's getting "unlucky" or whatever but if this guy isn't walking everyone and manages to get it in the zone it's flat and easily hittable.

Maybe I've been spoiled with Astros pitching for the last 10 years but I don't remember watching a guy have these kind of results for this long since the run started
MaxPower
I'm not sure if he was tipping pitches or what but the Rangers had some great ABs yesterday. Garcia hit a HR on a ball head high. Maybe his fastball does lack life but his secondaries were getting a lot of swings and misses. Might need to work backwards more.
Wabs
AG
So who do we make look like Greg Maddux today?
tjack16
AG
Wabs said:

So who do we make look like Greg Maddux today?

Today we will blow them out. And then tomorrow we make them look like cy young guys
JohnnyTexAg1995
We always start slow even against mediocre teams. This year we start with the hardest schedule in baseball, it will be magnified but there is no reason to believe they won't get on track like they have the last 8 years in a row
texasaggie2015
AG
The amount of overreaction on here is just nuts honestly
tjack16
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Getting swept in your home opener and blown out in your first road game will do that. The schedule doesn't get easier moving forward so it's going to be a rough April. My hope is the team gets hot but it's not out of the realm of possibility that this ends up being a rough season just based on the eye test and recent home struggles

I still think we make the playoffs but as a wild card
agproducer
AG
Last night, how many two out hits did the Rangers have? A ton. That's not going to happen every game. They had a good game. The Astros didn't. It's as simple as that.

Things are just magnified because we got swept by the Yankees. We played well enough the split that series, and probably should have. We also were one out of from sweeping the Jays. With the exception of last night and last Friday against the Yankees we've had opportunities to win each game.

So much hyperbole on this thread.
Beat40
tjack16 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Getting swept in your home opener and blown out in your first road game will do that. The schedule doesn't get easier moving forward so it's going to be a rough April. My hope is the team gets hot but it's not out of the realm of possibility that this ends up being a rough season just based on the eye test and recent home struggles

Except everyone was saying the Jays series was going to tell us what type of team they are. So one game after and it's back to doom and gloom.

Everyone needs to look at the games between the tough series in April, and then look at the schedule in May, June, and even July, and then relax.
tjack16
AG
Beat40 said:

tjack16 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Except everyone was saying the Jays series was going to tell us what type of team they are. So one game after and it's back to doom and gloom.

Everyone needs to look at the games between the tough series in April, and then look at the schedule in May, June, and even July, and then relax.

The blue jays series + this past game did tell us a lot. It showed that our offense can blow anybody out and then is just as likely to get shutdown by anybody.

2-2, where both wins were blowouts… and then in both losses our offense no showed. The blue jays serjes and last night showed that we are an inconsistent team.
texasaggie2015
AG
We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's almost impossible to draw any conclusions through just a handful of games. I tend to not look at any stats or standings until Memorial Day. This is a good baseball team and like most other teams they have flaws. They will be just fine
Ags #1
AG
Just hope it's not the royals and A's teams who swept us towards the end of the year

Thing is nobody knows how hot or cold the teams will be in those months. Could be a different team by then, in a good way
West Roxbury
The Porkchop Express said:

Farmer1906 said:

Worry? Sure.

Claim the season is over, the window is closed, blah blah blah? Sure, but you sound like a dumbass
I don't think I warranted being called a dumbass. You're not my wife.

redline248
AG
Are the Rangers a better offensive team than the Yankees? Brown faced both and was pretty good against 1 and flat awful against the other. Just a matter of inconsistency?
Boiling Denim
Now for a vomit inducing stat

July 26th marked the return of Yordan and what many thought would be the catalyst to spark the team

30-27 regular season finish
6-5 in the playoffs
2-6 start to 2024

38-38 since Yordans return

You would have been laughed out of Houston if you suggested this team would be .500 with a healthy Yordan
W
AG
yes, the Rangers are better offensively than NYY

the Blue Jays shutout New York 3-0 last night
tjack16
AG
redline248 said:

Are the Rangers a better offensive team than the Yankees? Brown faced both and was pretty good against 1 and flat awful against the other. Just a matter of inconsistency?

The rangers probably have the best lineup in baseball behind LAD and Atlanta
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 1928

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.