***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,720,080 Views | 34004 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by Hornbeck
EastCoastAgNc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
MaxPower
Pressly has a no trade as a 10 and 5 guy so he has some control over where he goes.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

WTAF is this mess...Singleton hitting cleanup?!? Hopefully this is Abreu's last game
The Porkchop Express
EastCoastAgNc said:

WTAF is this mess...Singleton hitting cleanup?!? Hopefully this is Abreu's last game
Abreu guaranteed HR today.
Wabs
AG
Is there any logical sense at all in having Singleton batting 4th? I mean literally any?
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

Is there any logical sense at all in having Singleton batting 4th? I mean literally any?

Matchups. I wish we'd move guys around move based on who we've playing. Outside of the big 3, no one is match up proof.
Heineken-Ashi
Wabs said:

More sense than Singleton at DH and Abreu playing 1st.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Wabs
AG
Heineken-Ashi said:

Wabs said:

More sense than Singleton at DH and Abreu playing 1st.
Great point actually. Maybe that's what Espada was thinking. Who knows.......
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Matchups. I wish we'd move guys around move based on who we've playing. Outside of the big 3, no one is match up proof.
Let me expand on this.

Webb is right-handed. 98% of his pitches to RHH are sinker (40), change up (30), & sweeper (28). Below is how our RHH do vs sinker+change ups+sweepers from a RHP.

Webb drops the sweeper a good amount vs LHH. It is mainly change up (41) & sinker (35). Below is how our LHH do vs sinker+change up from a RHP.

Today is the day you want to load up the lineup with lefties and move them up.
redline248
AG
Wabs said:

If you're going with that group of guys in your lineup, who would you put 4th?

Also, why doesn't Espada like Joey? He never played him after Chas got healthy, and he hasn't played him yet since he was called back to Houston...
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Game 69. Hopefully it's nice.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

Wabs said:

Also, why doesn't Espada like Joey? He never played him after Chas got healthy, and he hasn't played him yet since he was called back to Houston...

Well, he's already gone so that explains why he's not in today.
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Let me expand on this.

Webb is right-handed. 98% of his pitches to RHH are sinker (40), change up (30), & sweeper (28). Below is how our RHH do vs sinker+change ups+sweepers from a RHP.

Webb drops the sweeper a good amount vs LHH. It is mainly change up (41) & sinker (35). Below is how our LHH do vs sinker+change up from a RHP.

Based on those numbers it totally makes sense to give Abreu another start, right? Right? Let's hope this is Espada's way of trying to doom Abreu's last chance. I would love to see the guy break out, but it just seems to be prolonging the agony at this point to keep sending him out there. Tear the bandaid off Crane's ego and let Abreu go count his stacks of money somewhere else.
EastCoastAgNc
AG

I know FAX is the troll thing, but did this really get put on their board? I remember seeing something like on the broadcast on the video board about him and double plays, but the camera cut away before i could catch it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The Porkchop Express
EastCoastAgNc said:

Hopefully this brings his asking price way down when he only hits 48 HR instead of 51
EastCoastAgNc
AG
texasaggie2015
AG
"Could be" but they're not putting him on the 10-day IL and instead carrying three catchers. Hm.
redline248
AG
Farmer1906 said:

redline248 said:

Wabs said:

Well, he's already gone so that explains why he's not in today.
Wow, I guess I missed that one...
Texas A&M
txags92 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Wabs said:

Let me expand on this.

Based on those numbers it totally makes sense to give Abreu another start, right? Right? Let's hope this is Espada's way of trying to doom Abreu's last chance. I would love to see the guy break out, but it just seems to be prolonging the agony at this point to keep sending him out there. Tear the bandaid off Crane's ego and let Abreu go count his stacks of money somewhere else.
If the Astros cut him and he were to get picked up by someone else (probably a longshot)... do the Astros still owe him his full salary?
Farmer1906
AG
Since our reset in Mexico, the team has gone 24-18 winning 8 of 13 series. 57.1% is about a 93 win season. If we were to play at that clip the rest of the way, we'd finish 85-77. While pretty unimpressive overall, it might be just enough to make the postseason this year.
Faustus
EastCoastAgNc said:

Chuckle at two players with an OPS of .666.

Abreu would sell his soul for that OPS right now.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Since our reset in Mexico, the team has gone 24-18 winning 8 of 13 series. 57.1% is about a 93 win season. If we were to play at that clip the rest of the way, we'd finish 85-77. While pretty unimpressive overall, it might be just enough to make the postseason this year.
Literally just need Pressly to be Pressly in the 8th, Altuve with a .900 OPS going forward, and getting Tucker back and this team could win at a .600 clip realistically.

It has been a frustrating year where the top of the line-up hasn't been hitting together and the two best arms in the bullpen aren't pitching together.
Farmer1906
AG
That'll get us another 2-3 wins the rest of the year.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

the two best arms in the bullpen aren't pitching together

Huh?

Tayler Scott and Seth Martinez have been pitching well together all season.
FrioAg 00
AG
Crazy to me that it's not Montero and Pressley spot duty in the 5th or 6th, Martinez and Scott getting most of their action in the 7th or 8th, Abreu as an 8th or 9th guy, and Hader as your true closer.

But I'm a believer in current results, not entitlement based on the past. I don't read the back of baseball cards to evaluate a player.
Mathguy64
AG
Farmer1906 said:

You can argue that Pressly alone has cost between 5 and 6 wins with his blown saves/blown holds/losses. He's already exceeded his total for all of last year.

No one is perfect so if you say he would have done that even on a good night once or twice it's 3-4 wins. It's a big number.
Beat40
Farmer1906 said:

Sure. I also think they could win at a clip anywhere between .600 and .650 if those three things were to pan out once Tucker gets back.
Beat40
FrioAg 00 said:

Crazy to me that it's not Montero and Pressley spot duty in the 5th or 6th, Martinez and Scott getting most of their action in the 7th or 8th, Abreu as an 8th or 9th guy, and Hader as your true closer.

But I'm a believer in current results, not entitlement based on the past. I don't read the back of baseball cards to evaluate a player.
Honestly - Abreu scares me just as much as anyone else in the 8th as a set-up man. He's getting out of jams, but he's working himself into a ton of jams too.

This bullpen is sketchy as a whole, and I don't think the org realistically did enough to help it this offseason.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Beat40 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Sure. I also think they could win at a clip anywhere between .600 and .650 if those three things were to pan out once Tucker gets back.

Need about 63% the rest of the way to hit 90. That should put us safely in.
texasaggie2015
AG
Abreu's arm is probably going to fall off by August
Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

I don't think it's impossible if the top 4 of the line-up are playing up to their standard with some contributions from the bottom of the order, and the bullpen gets on more reliable set-up man.
Beat40
texasaggie2015 said:

Abreu's arm is probably going to fall off by August
The bullpen is honestly where I think the organizations biggest offseason failures lie. They made the right decision to let the 3 walk they did, but man, that's the one area I wish they would have pursued harder, even with Hader as the primary target.
texasaggie2015
AG
Yeah, they signed a few guys for cheap and were hoping a couple would pan out. Tayler Scott did. Dylan Coleman was the one they were bullish one.. but he never re-learned how to throw a strike.
First Page Last Page
Page 846 of 972

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.