***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

1,678,472 Views | 33158 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Hornbeck
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Funny how emotional this thread is from one day to the next.

Yesterday pressly should be middle relief. Today he needs the 9th. Wild.
Wabs
AG
Is Abreu now going to get the start the next 6 to 7 games while Big Jon sits? Is that the way Espada is going to do this?
Serviam
htxag09 said:

Funny how emotional this thread is from one day to the next.

Yesterday pressly should be middle relief. Today he needs the 9th. Wild.

Ag_07
AG
Yall's conspiracy theories on Pressly are something else.

The guy just isn't good at pitching in non save situations. He never has been since moving into the closers role.

He's not bombing because he's pissed and I don't think he's emo on being demoted. He's just not a good setup guy.

Good news is teams may still want him as a closer and that ups his trade value.
cc10106
I'm curious what a Pressly/McCormick trade package could get us.

Would Ryan benefit from hypnosis if it's more of a mental deal than anything else?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106 said:

I'm curious what a Pressly/McCormick trade package could get us.

Would Ryan benefit from hypnosis if it's more of a mental deal than anything else?

Trading Presley requires his agreement, pretty sure he has 10-5 rights at this point
Quote:

Beyond that, a player that has accumulated 10 years of Major League service time and has spent the past five consecutive seasons of that service time with one team gains the right -- termed 10-and-5 rights -- to veto a trade to any team.
texasaggie2015
AG
I know Pressly isn't happy and it dates back to last year. I'm sure that's a huge part of it. Bad morale leads to bad performance. He's also getting up there in age.

He has postseason experience and is very good when he's on. There's teams that see value in that.

The Astros have been talking actively over the last few days with a few teams in the NL East discussing bullpen arms and rental bats. I'll share names when I'm a little more confident. It sounds to me like they have no intention of selling.
cc10106
Good to know. I would prefer to keep him as he's been one of the leaders during this run.

Ags #1
AG
lol he said all the right things in the media when we signed hader. Be a pro and team player and do your job. If not trade the trade him, he has value. Or drop the piss pants attitude
Ag_07
AG
I'll be shocked if Pressly is on this team after the trade deadline.

I think they tried to make it work but he's just not cut out to be a setup man after being a closer for the past few years.

This wasn't a surprise either. Dude is nails in the 9th but in non-save situations it's just not there.

I do think it's quite depressing that we have one of the best closers in the game yet we've somehow ended up having a closer by committee. Thanks Joe!
texasaggie2015
AG
From my understanding his frustration more has to do with usage (ie: rest between appearances) and poor communication in the clubhouse than his actual role. But that could definitely be a part of it too
FrioAg 00
AG
I get that it's all speculation as to why Pressley has been so awful this year, but that's what fans do.

What is not up for debate is that he has been awful, and is personably responsible for enough losses that we would otherwise be leading our division.

Sure, other players have been up and down - that's just baseball. But Abreu and Pressley are not playing at a level acceptable for major league players.
Ags #1
AG
Ohhhh got it. Guess that's a little different.
But if he has an issue with being the setup guy just suck it up and pitch. But espada did say when we signed hader that nobody had a certain role, guys are interchangeable, blah blah. Pretty clear now whose roles are whose imo.
Ag_07
AG
Quote:

just suck it up and pitch

It's not that. He's just not good at it. Just like how you can't throw Taylor Scott into the closer's role and say 'Just suck it up and pitch'. That doesn't make him effective.

Pressly wasn't good at non-save situations even when he was a closer. This is not some new revelation that's just popped up.
cc10106
Pressly's struggles outside of save situations is nothing new, but I figured he would come around eventually. Perhaps i'm being overly optimistic for that to change this season.
redline248
AG
Quote:

I know Pressly isn't happy and it dates back to last year.
What happened with him last year? I assume it must be front office related?
iBrad
AG
The first batter Pressly faced last night smoked a line drive to center for an out that just as easily could have found the gap for a double and started another late game collapse. Sometimes the difference between a bad outing and a good outing is where they hit the ball. I think it had little to do with it being a save situation.

cc10106
Cavan Biggio to the Doyers
redline248
AG
How things are looking in June:

Pena and Meyers are falling, Yainer was scorching, and Chas found some life

edit: Tucker only has 9 PA, but was still killing it
Farmer1906
AG
cc10106 said:

Cavan Biggio to the Doyers

Happy he got picked up. Hate that it's to the Dodgers. He mind of made sense for us. I'd prefer him on the end of the bench over Kessinger.
The Porkchop Express
Do you guys think the Pirates have realized yet that by not putting Skenes on the opening day roster they've cost themselves having the 2nd-ever ROY/Cy Young winner in the same season?

Skenes is now 3-0 with a 2.43 ERA and a 0.96 WHIP in the first 33.1 innings of his career. he's recorded 5 quality starts out of 6, and only went 4 innings in the 6th, which was his big-league debut. He's averaging 12.5 K's per 9 innings and has just 6 walks in 33.1 IP.

Last night: 6 IP, 0 R, 8 K's, yet another no-decision thanks to the fact that he plays for the Pirates, and when he left the game, an incredible standing ovation from the St. Louis fans when he got taken out of the game.

texasaggie2015
AG
Brice Matthews with 2 more hits last night. He's absolutely on fire. John Garcia has also been a surprise this year:

Gameday: Tourists 15, Drive 8 Final Score (06/11/2024) (milb.com)

Eric Lauer got rocked in AAA last night but I wouldn't read too much into that. They could be tweaking a few things since picking him up:

Gameday: Baseball Club 11, Space Cowboys 2 Final Score (06/11/2024) (milb.com)
BCEDAg
AG
Singleton should be in the lineup every time the opponent starts with a right handed pitcher. He hit a rope in his first appearance as a pinch hitter Monday night, then had two hits and a walk last night. And don't forget that long foul he hit into the bay behind right field.
ClickClack
AG

EastCoastAgNc
AG
n_touch
Why could he not win? He was called up pretty early,
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Well, I wasn't going to throw this out there just yet, but since Chandler mentioned him....

The Astros have been (and still are) talking with the Mets about Pete Alonso. They aren't close- but the talks are active. This is the rental bat in the NL East I was hinting at earlier this morning.
The Porkchop Express
n_touch said:

Why could he not win? He was called up pretty early,
Most guys he's competing with will have an extra 5-6 starts.

Plus he plays for the Pirate, he might go 10-0 with a 2.50 ERA and 20 no decisions.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Another over paid first baseman is what will get this team over the top
texasaggie2015
AG
He's coming off back to back 40+ home run seasons and would feast with the Crawford Boxes. He's a rental, but if the Astros want to buy, he would be a huge jolt to this lineup when he's on.

I'm not saying this is or isn't what I would do.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Getting him before the deadline would be very important, but the asking price would probably be way to high to pay now
texasaggie2015
AG
That's what they're running into.
Ag_07
AG
This team needs to also not loose focus on the future. They're gonna need a 1Bman beyond this year.

Is it really solving much to go get a rental, still be a meddling team this year, and still have the same problem at 1B next season?

Another rental that would be cheaper than Alonso may be Josh Bell. He's not as good as Alonso but in his last 30 games he's hitting .308 with an .825 OPS.
CFTXAG10
AG
Ag_07 said:

This team needs to also not loose focus on the future. They're gonna need a 1Bman beyond this year.

Is it really solving much to go get a rental, still be a meddling team this year, and still have the same problem at 1B next season?

Another rental that would be cheaper than Alonso may be Josh Bell. He's not as good as Alonso but in his last 30 games he's hitting .308 with an .825 OPS.
This is the level-headed response, and I agree. Although selfishly part of me wants Crane to say f*** it and push all the chips in to make another WS run.
Ag_07
AG
WWJBD?
First Page Last Page
Page 845 of 948

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.