***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,353,045 Views | 60922 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Beat40
Bulldog73
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We took my kids to KC for their first MLB game, we were in town and tickets were $20 for the family. It's definitely beyond dated, but it was a fun park. We walked around a lot and got to move into some solid seats.
MAROON
AG
Beau Holder said:

Apparently it's from agricultural fires in Mexico? Sort of annoying.

I check the AQI every day and it's usually like 50 or 60, which is fine ("good" or "moderate"). It's been above 120 just these last two days.
yep - Mexico and Central American farmers burning their fields.

OKCAg2002
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I wonder if it would change the juju if we just stopped talking about the Astros on this thread altogether. And if they win tonight- we just keep it up. We can talk about anything we want but not the Astros.

I'll keep it going. I root for the Cubs, too. I've always loved that goofy song they play after Cubs victory. Hard not to feel a love for baseball with this atmosphere. Fly the W!

texasaggie2015
AG
That has to be it. I'm pretty sensitive to dust so that kinda checks out.
Big Bucks
AG
I adopted the Orioles as my "second team" last year. Lots of Texans on the roster, Elias from the Luhnow tree, young and fun to watch like us in 2017. They do still need a closer. Dealing them Pressley later this summer for some of their farm system could be a good move for both teams and all players concerned.
cc10106
The Porkchop Express said:

cc10106 said:

My thoughts on visiting Kauffman Stadium last year:

It was fine, really, and I'm glad I went, but Busch Stadium the following night was night and day better.
Dude I went there in 1996 and saw JEFF GRANGER PITCH.
Nice. I'll never forget meeting him at A&M as a kid. Randomly saw him one night on campus, and my Dad stopped him to say hi because I was too shy. Dude was huge.
cc10106
tjack16 said:

cc10106 said:

tjack16 said:

Wabs said:

What is everyone's adopt-a-team this year? I'm going with the Royals. Fun team to watch.

Unless we pull a miracle and go all the way, I'm rooting for Bryce Harper to get his ring. Would love a Phillies orioles World Series
Two cities a couple hours apart on I-95 would make for a great matchup. Not to mention no NY or ATL as far as east coast teams go.

Paul Skenes debuts for Pittsburgh on Sunday.

I also just think the matchup of offenses between Philly and Baltimore would make for a fun series for somebody who is a neutral 3rd party viewer. A lot of homeruns and two fanbases that would make for awesome atmospheres given how passionate Phillies fans are, and how starved the Orioles fans are given they haven't been in the fall classic since 1983
Philly-Arlington would've been such a better matchup last year. I'd probably root for Philly just out of spite for the few psycho Orioles fans I encountered in 2022 at Camden Yards. I know, I know...
superaggie73
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I wonder if it would change the juju if we just stopped talking about the Astros on this thread altogether. And if they win tonight- we just keep it up. We can talk about anything we want but not the Astros.

So basically the Rangers thread last year before they got excited and cocky…
The Porkchop Express
AG
He was QB my freshman year at A&M in '92 until Pullig replaced him. Any type of good QB play that year and we would have been in the Natty, but nay, 12-0 and no place to go.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
cc10106
texasaggie2015 said:

I can definitely see where it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea- but I enjoyed it.
It's unique and worth seeing for sure. Just a dump around it with nothing besides Arrowhead. They would benefit moving downtown, at least from a random baseball fan's perspective.
tjack16
AG
On a more fun note… anybody have any sports road trips lined up for 2024 or 2025?

My brother and I are going to Fenway for the Astros/Sox series in August. Then in 2025 we are seeing the Aggies at Notre dame and hopefully catching a game at Wrigley if the cubs are in town that week
The Porkchop Express
AG
superaggie73 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

So basically the Rangers thread last year before they got excited and cocky…
Real Ranger stats from '23 thread

March 30 - October 1: 650 pages

What, we're in the playoffs?

October 1-End of season 610 pages
The Porkchop Express
AG
tjack16 said:

On a more fun note… anybody have any sports road trips lined up for 2024 or 2025?

My brother and I are going to Fenway for the Astros/Sox series in August. Then in 2025 we are seeing the Aggies at Notre dame and hopefully catching a game at Wrigley if the cubs are in town that week
My niece goes to Marquette, so my brother and I are planning to go to Lambeau this fall for Texans/Packers.

texasaggie2015
AG
I've always wanted to do a trip in September that starts with Wrigley and goes to Miller Park and ends at Lambeau. Just haven't made it work yet.
The Porkchop Express
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I've always wanted to do a trip in September that starts with Wrigley and goes to Miller Park and ends at Lambeau. Just haven't made it work yet.
I've been on 2 pretty great baseball road trips, although both many years before I had kids.

In 96, after quitting my first job as has been told here before, I went to: Busch Stadium, Comiskey Park, 3 at Wrigley for Astros/Cubs, Metrodome, Kaufmann Stadium, Coors Field, and Aggies @ BYU all in about 2 weeks.

In 05, I went to Dodger Stadium, Anaheim Stadium, and 2 in San Fran (Astros/Giants) in a 5-6 day span.

I've only been to one NFL game outside of Houston and that was in Dallas, so really excited to go to one out of state.
cc10106
Doing a Reds-Pirates game in Cincy later this year. Had to squeeze in a new ballpark while I'm in Louisville that weekend.
texasaggie2015
AG
NFL schedule comes out next week so it'll be interesting to see when they play at Lambeau. I may need to make the trek up there if the timing is right.
Daddy-O5
AG
Go catch a Bats game in Louisville. Wife and I did a minor league ballpark tour around the area, stopped in Cincy as well at the end. Great trip.
cc10106
Excellent. Will add that to the Louisville Slugger Museum. Seems like a good year to catch more minor league games anyway. I might even finally get down to Corpus for a Hooks game.

Snake Jazz
AG
It is becoming more and more apparent that the golden age of Astros baseball is no more. Sad, but all good things must come to an end.

After the break, they need to sell. Hopefully some of these guys will bounce back a little and they'll have more value than they have currently.

If I were Dana Brown/Jeff Bagwell, I would move:
Alex Bregman
Kyle Tucker (assuming you can't sign him)
Justin Verlander
Framber Valdez
Ryan Pressley
Josh Hader

Still have a young core with Yordan, Pena and Diaz to build around. Reloaded farm system and a high pick next year.

Do it.
203Raggie
AG
tjack16 said:

My wife and I try to make a baseball trip for our anniversary every year. Have a book to write down things about our experience at the ball parks we visit.

Last year we did the Florida stadiums. This year I'm back in school after getting my DD214, so we're a little tighter on money. Thinking about going to St Louis and maybe Kansas City.

But if yall have any advice on a cheap trip, I'm all ears.
tjack16
AG
203Raggie said:

tjack16 said:

My wife and I try to make a baseball trip for our anniversary every year. Have a book to write down things about our experience at the ball parks we visit.

Last year we did the Florida stadiums. This year I'm back in school after getting my DD214, so we're a little tighter on money. Thinking about going to St Louis and maybe Kansas City.

But if yall have any advice on a cheap trip, I'm all ears.

St Louis is awesome IMO and we did it fairly cheap for a weekend. My brother and his wife did Atlanta last year and did the Braves game, college football hall of fame, aquarium and coke museum all in 3 days
cc10106
I did KC and St. Louis in one weekend last year. Atlanta is probably the cheapest/easiest, but Pittsburgh is my favorite that I've done recently. Cleveland is only 2 hours away as well.
spadilly
S
tjack16 said:

We have a goal of hitting a few minor league over the summer with the kids out (aside from Sugar Land).

We did Biloxi and Corpus last year, and this year we are tentatively shooting for San Antonio, Frisco, and Round Rock.
Jackal99
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

One of my oldest and best friends lives in Appleton, and has four season tickets with his wife's family. He's already promised my son and I tickets to go to the game.
Beau Holder
AG
Kauffman, the NLBM, and Power & Light District was a very fun weekend trip when I did it. And as 2015 mentioned, the K won't be around much longer.
Beau Holder
AG
Don't look now but the Twins appear to have had no trouble with Logan Gilbert.
tjack16
AG
In 2026 we are looking at a San Fran and LA trip. So hopefully that means dodger stadium and seeing a Giants game at the bay.
tjack16
AG

In May 2022 this would be an easy sweep with those 3 going

Now I'm just hoping we win 1
cc10106
Beau Holder said:

Kauffman, the NLBM, and Power & Light District was a very fun weekend trip when I did it. And as 2015 mentioned, the K won't be around much longer.
Plus airport is nice and smells like BBQ.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
The lineup is out. Players are scheduled to take at bats, some before others.
W
AG
Beau Holder said:

Don't look now but the Twins appear to have had no trouble with Logan Gilbert.
yes, and this is what makes fans wonder about the Astros coaching staff

Twins have 7 hits vs. Gilbert in 3 innings (and 6 earned runs)

but against the Astros he's untouchable
W
AG
tjack16 said:

In May 2022 this would be an easy sweep with those 3 going

Now I'm just hoping we win 1
Casey Mize and Tarik Skubal owned the Astros before their injuries

starting Friday and Saturday
Farmer1906
AG
Hmmm… this sounds familiar.

W
AG
Loperfido in LF

Dubon in CF
First Page Last Page
Page 522 of 1741

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.