***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,030,341 Views | 56174 Replies | Last: 36 min ago by linkdude
GigEM96
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Weak-end Series

EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Wabs
AG
Won a game 8-2 when our 2-3-4 went 0 for 12 with 5 Ks.

Really hoping Yordan gets off the struggle bus soon. I'd say the same for Breggy but I've been saying that all season.
tjack16
AG
It's crazy when you go 4-1 and it only brings your winning percentage up to a .355
CFTXAG10
AG
Now would be a great time to sweep the Mariners and have the Arlingtonians lose three straight to KC

Only 3gb by Monday morning sounds good to me
Ag_07
AG
Just keep winning series

I'm not gonna start looking for sweeps and winning streaks. Just win series. That should be the goal.
agdaddy04
AG
Took until May 2nd to win back to back series. Wouldn't have bet money on that before the season started.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
07ag
AG
tjack16 said:

It's crazy when you go 4-1 and it only brings your winning percentage up to a .355

And the loss was JV day
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
Who had Jeremy Pena, Victor Caratini, Jon Singleton, & Jake Meyers in the top 6 of team wRC+ in early May? Anyone?

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Not Big Jon.

Hell, 2 weeks ago everyone wanted him gone
texasaggie2015
AG
I started a new job on Monday. My office is right down the street from MMP. It's so hard to resist walking over after work every night there's a home game.
RVAg02
AG
The last part with WMH is great
The Porkchop Express
Porkchop's Astro Shanks Report 5/2/24

Score: 8-2 win over the Cleveland Indians to win the series against the team with the best record in the AL
I knew it was over when: The Indians signed Featherstone from "Necessary Roughness" to play centerfield.

Breathe the free air again, my friend: We are no longer 5th, we are tied for 4th with the Angels!

Non-Astro, Feel Good Story of the Day: Mike Yastrzemski hit a solo home run to right field near the banner for his grandfather Carl Yastrzemski's #8 is retired at Fenway Park yesterday after Carl, 84, visited him pre-game.
Don't look now, but: We're actually better at home (6-10) than on the road (5-10).

Record: 11-20 (.355)
Projected Record Pace: 57-105. When/if this number drops below 100 losses, the sun will shine on us again
Run Differential?: -16, 10th in the AL
The White Sox Run Differential? -84, on pace for 439. The MLB record is -349 by the 1932 Boston Braves, a team that somehow went 77-77-1. They didn't have a single guy hit more than 4 home runs.
To get to 90 wins: 79-52 (.603)
To get to 81 wins: 70-61(.534)

Is Alex Bregman a secret evil genius? He elevated his troll job of the fan base by switching from late at-bat popups to first-pitch popups twice last night.

If you had told me that on May 3, Alex Bregman would have more steals than homers: I would know exactly what was going on. This *****

5-6-7 is the New Black: Pena, Diaz and Singleton combined to go 5-for-10 last night with 4 runs scored and 6 RBI.

Meanwhile, in Arlington: Nathan Eovaldi having an MRI today for groin tightness. Probably from excessive masturbation. Don't quote me on that. But it seems likely.

Something to remember about the Division-Leading Mariners coming to town tonight: They fold like a ***** in a big series, no matter what time of year it is. They were 1 game out of first on September 22 last year and proceeded to lose 3 straight to the Rangers and 2 out of 3 to us to wind up in third place, 4 games out just 6 days later. In the summer of '22, they went 22-3 over a stretch to get to 51-42, and then we swept their asses on the road to open up a 13- game lead, beat them 3 out of 4 a week later in Houston, and won the division by 16 games.

Fun Fact about the Mariners' franchise: If they won their next 355 games in a row, their franchise would still have an all-time losing record.

Fun Fact about the Mariner Moose: In 1995 he was "water skiing on the field" and lost control, crashing into the outfield wall. The crowd laughed at his silliness and his playing the injury up until he didn't get up. Because he had fractured his right ankle and dislocated his fibula. Since he couldn't move they had to take him an ambulance in the Moose costume to the hospital.

Hey, what's up with Julio Rodriguez? : Apparently he forgot his power game in Spring Training . His slugging percentage is currently .328 and he only has 1 home run this year. Hopefully that continues. He has been dramatically eclipsed by Bobby Witt Jr. as the best young star in the AL.

Altuve-Watch: 3 for 5 with 1 run scored, 1 RBI, and 2 stolen bases. Hitting .352 with a 1.001 OPS. On pace for 120 runs scored, 235 hits, 47 2B, 37 HR, 31 SB. That lends the question of who is the oldest player to have their first 30-30 season? Jose turns 34 years old on Monday.

Well I had to figure it out. The very first 30-30 years was a guy named Ken Williams for the Cardinals in 1922 when he was 32. Dante Bichete was 32 in 1996 when he had his 30-30 season (turned 33 that November). Ellis Burks was also 32 and Bichete's teammate with the Rockies in 1996 when he had his.

So yes, if Altuve goes 30-30 this year, he'll be the oldest player to ever have his first one.

Just another friendly reminder when Jose tries to take the extra base and is out by 70 feet or strikes out at a pitch outside of Manute Bol's strike zone that you have the privilege of watching the greatest athlete in Houston sports history day after day.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I started a new job on Monday. My office is right down the street from MMP. It's so hard to resist walking over after work every night there's a home game.

Congrats!

I interpret this as, "Hey guys, I work right next to MMP so I'll go sneak in and get you even more information!" Get busy, kid (haha).

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
The Porkchop Express
texasaggie2015 said:

Please post your parking garage code so we can all check it out some time, like when we go to a game.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Farmer1906
AG
Altuve hit 2.0 WAR already. He's on pace for a 10 WAR season. That seems extremely unlikely, but another 6+ WAR season would look real real good on the HOF resume.
dshedd41
S
I wrote this article on Joey Loperfido
http://www.stadiumrant.com/post/top-astros-prospect-makes-highly-anticipated-debut-against-cleveland
Gig’em Aggies!
texasaggie2015
AG
Thank you sir.
texasaggie2015
AG
Haha. I can imagine it now.

"Ever since we hired the new guy our parking lot is full after hours. It's so weird"
Marvin
AG
Besides the chemically-altered Barry Bonds, there have been MVP seasons from players older than Altuve. Schmidt, Eckersley, Stargell, and Goldschmidt did it in the 35-39 range.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Johnsy3
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Porkchop's Astro Shanks Report 5/2/24
Things that made me laugh:
  • Fun Fact about the Mariner Moose: In 1995 he was "water skiing on the field" and lost control, crashing into the outfield wall. The crowd laughed at his silliness and his playing the injury up until he didn't get up. Because he had fractured his right ankle and dislocated his fibula. Since he couldn't move they had to take him an ambulance in the Moose costume to the hospital.
  • Just another friendly reminder when Jose tries to take the extra base and is out by 70 feet or strikes out at a pitch outside of Manute Bol's strike zone that you have the privilege of watching the greatest athlete in Houston sports history day after day.

Things that made me laugh and cry:
  • Don't look now, but: We're actually better at home (6-10) than on the road (5-10).
  • Is Alex Bregman a secret evil genius? He elevated his troll job of the fan base by switching from late at-bat popups to first-pitch popups twice last night.
  • If you had told me that on May 3, Alex Bregman would have more steals than homers: I would know exactly what was going on. This *****

This is just incredible:
  • The White Sox Run Differential? -84, on pace for 439. The MLB record is -349 by the 1932 Boston Braves, a team that somehow went 77-77-1. They didn't have a single guy hit more than 4 home runs.

Another fun Mariner fact - I believe they are the only MLB team to have never played in a World Series
redline248
AG
Marvin said:

Besides the chemically-altered Barry Bonds, there have been MVP seasons from players older than Altuve. Schmidt, Eckersley, Stargell, and Goldschmidt did it in the 35-39 range.
If things continue it'll be a tight race with Altuve, Soto and Gunnar Henderson
redline248
AG
Another data point for Bregman to move down in the order:

Bases empty: .156/.217/.219, 28 wRC+
RISP: .276/.313/.379, 98 wRC+

Obviously, last night brought that 2nd set down a little.
Booma94
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Hey, what's up with Julio Rodriguez? : Apparently he forgot his power game in Spring Training . His slugging percentage is currently .328 and he only has 1 home run this year. Hopefully that continues. He has been dramatically eclipsed by Bobby Witt Jr. as the best young star in the AL.

Sounds like he's been eating Breggy Bomb Salsa...
tjack16
AG
Timing for this could not be worse…

Boiling Denim
tjack16 said:

Timing for this could not be worse

Or the best timing. Never doubt the bobblehead night magic
EastCoastAgNc
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
tjack16 said:

Timing for this could not be worse…

If you put enough pressure on it, his head pops up
tjack16
AG
Boiling Denim said:

tjack16 said:

Timing for this could not be worse

Or the best timing. Never doubt the bobblehead night magic

I've actually had the opposite experience.. it seems like a lot of bobblehead nights at Minute Maid the guy doesn't do much, or is out that night
Anonymous Source
S
texasaggie2015 said:

If you Uber'd home from games, you could set yourself up for a really good gig, Costanza!
Gig 'Em
TarponChaser
EastCoastAgNc said:

All I do is Nguyen
Good for Big Jon

First Page Last Page
Page 468 of 1606

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.