***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,870,037 Views | 67425 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by f1ghtintexasaggie
bearkatag15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agdaddy04 said:

We need to calm down just a bit. Remember how Singleton has raked at AAA before. It's a big jump in the pitching quality between minors and big leagues.
I'm confused... This thread craps all over our first base players and now doesn't want to call up the best first base option we have in the farm system? Nothing will make this group happy lol
Baseball Is Life
Mathguy64 said:

The thing about Loperfido is he can't be any worse. Other than eating the money there is no downside. By the end of the month if things haven't improved with Captain Lou, you won't have much choice.

Yordan was mashing in Round Rock and I was hollering for him to be brought up, but it is always about the service time and money. That is the only reason Joey isn't up here, where he should be. At least when Yordan was being held down, the team was good and he was an added bonus.
TRM
AG
AggiEE said:

Team isn't losing because Abreu stinks right now. We have much bigger issues. I don't think it's reason to bring up Loperfido yet unless they want to give up on Singleton. Loperfido still needs more time.

Fact is, Abreu can hit 8th or 9th and he's just a Maldy (or worse) replacement if he doesn't get his act together. If Abreu starts hitting like he is capable of from August and into the playoffs of last year, we're going to need him and there's nobody else better to replace that.

So he needs to get going, get regular starts. If we're approaching the trade deadline and he's hitting below the mendoza line and sporting a sub .600 OPS, while the team is still not anywhere near in playoff contention then maybe some hard decisions need to be made.

His performance so far is abysmal but I have a hard time believing he won't figure it out. What's killing us is that there's a lot of our players that are "figuring it out" along with Abreu right now.
I agree with this. There's a multitude of issues like starting pitching issues that exposed our middle reliever weakness. Lack of timely hitting, Bregman and Chas need to get going.

We need a new approach at the plate and a new order. I'd probably do the following just based on how they're hitting:

1. Altuve
2. Alvarez
3. Diaz
4. Tucker
5. Pena
6. Bregman
7. Chas
8. Meyers/Dubon
9. Abreu/Singleton
W
AG
Abreu is definitely a big part of the problem

both on the field and his salary off the field

it's a double whammy
The Porkchop Express
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

bearkatag15 said:

"4-5 people who actually make decisions"

So Crane, Reggie, Bagwell, and who else? That comment is pretty telling about how far this organization has strayed from what got them to where they have been.
Move Diaz to 1B, Caratini to C, and let Reggie DH
AggiEE
W said:

Abreu is definitely a big part of the problem

both on the field and his salary off the field

it's a double whammy

He's a part of a 10+ person problem right now

The money issue is on Crane and he's capable of rectifying the problem if he wants
Baseball Is Life
Reggie Jackson had a great career, but how did he even become involved with the team? What connection am I missing?
Farmer1906
AG
Crane wanted to hang out with one of his baseball idols.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

Reggie Jackson had a great career, but how did he even become involved with the team? What connection am I missing?
Reggie had been with the Yankees up until 2021 and said he left because he felt like a "hood ornament" and purposely kept from any real decision-making process. He came over to advise on community efforts and charitable efforts (translation nobody but rich white people can afford to go to these games) but I have never heard what the actual connection is. Perhaps it was through Dusty, he and Reggie came up around the same time in the mid-to-late 60s.

Seeing as how OJ died today, how about a shoutout to Reggie's magnificent acting as "Reggie Jackson" in The Naked Gun?

Baseball Is Life
The Porkchop Express said:

Baseball Is Life said:

Reggie had been with the Yankees up until 2021 and said he left because he felt like a "hood ornament" and purposely kept from any real decision-making process. He came over to advise on community efforts and charitable efforts (translation nobody but rich white people can afford to go to these games) but I have never heard what the actual connection is. Perhaps it was through Dusty, he and Reggie came up around the same time in the mid-to-late 60s.

Seeing as how OJ died today, how about a shoutout to Reggie's magnificent acting as "Reggie Jackson" in The Naked Gun?

The Dusty connection makes sense and was something I really didn't even think of. I knew he had been advising to the Yankees, and they have been chokers (especially considering their money), so I am not sure we want any of their brass helping out with decisions?
Baseball Is Life
Hal is probably still paying him, but now, to tank the Astros!
The Porkchop Express
AG
Baseball Is Life said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Baseball Is Life said:

The Dusty connection makes sense and was something I really didn't even think of. I knew he had been advising to the Yankees, and they have been chokers (especially considering their money), so I am not sure we want any of their brass helping out with decisions?
he said the Yanks weren't letting him be involved with decisions, so he bailed. The Astros have made the WS twice and come a game short the other time since he got here Having the most clutch post-season competitor in WS history as an advisor seems decent to me!
MaxPower
On Loperfido, it isn't about Singleton. Singleton sucks and we know that. It's about giving up on Abreu. Thy want Loperfido to get consistent ABs. Taking over Singletons role of starting twice a week and being a pinch hitter doesn't accomplish that. They have to be ready to make Abreu a bench player and they simply aren't ready to do that yet.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Farmer1906 said:

Loperfido went 1-3 with 3 BB and 2 SO. His single was 104.5 off the bat.

Nine game stats
.265 BA
.357 OBP
.706 SLG
1.063 OPS
148 wRC+

If he continues about like this (even with the 38% K%) then I think he's up and Singleton is gone. We need to wait another 3 days to manipulate his service times for it not to count as a full year.

Edit: I don't think it'll happen in 3 days, but more like when he reaches the 80-100 PA mark.
Loperfido went 2-6 with 2 singles and 2 SO. Exit Velo was smoking - 109.5 (single), 100.9 (groundout), 100.8 (single), and 89.1 (groundout).

Ten Game Stats
.275 BA
.354 OBP
.650 SLG
1.004 OPS
137 wRC+

Loperfido went 2-5 with a double (102.2 EV), homerun (98.1 EV), and just 1 strikeout.

Eleven Game Stats
.289 BA
.358 OBP
.711 SLG
1.070 OPS
149 wRC+
--
35.8% K%
11.3% BB%
--
94.6 EV
17.0 LA
54.2 HH%
14.6 Barrel%

He's doing about as well as we could reasonably ask for.

tjack16
AG
When can we start the conversation about Martinez getting leverage situations? He has been nails this season.
DeProfundis
tjack16 said:

When can we start the conversation about Martinez getting leverage situations? He has been nails this season.

I think there would need to be leverage situations first. Kind of like asking when Hader will get more save opportunities. I'm looking forward to having a lead in the 9th
Farmer1906
AG
tjack16 said:

When Hader, Pressly, Abreu, and Montero aren't available and there aren't a bunch of lefties coming up.
tjack16
AG
DeProfundis said:

tjack16 said:

I think there would need to be leverage situations first. Kind of like asking when Hader will get more save opportunities. I'm looking forward to having a lead in the 9th

I think we will have a few this week. I'd be good with Martinez getting the 6th or 7th in a leverage spot.
CFTXAG10
AG
MaxPower said:

On Loperfido, it isn't about Singleton. Singleton sucks and we know that. It's about giving up on Abreu. Thy want Loperfido to get consistent ABs. Taking over Singletons role of starting twice a week and being a pinch hitter doesn't accomplish that. They have to be ready to make Abreu a bench player and they simply aren't ready to do that yet.
This. We can all not agree with it, but its true.
Frok
AG
Wabs said:

For the series:

Astros: 34 hits, 8 runs
Royals: 32 hits, 28 runs.

Simply amazing.

These stats at least give me hope that at some point the bubble will burst and the hits with RISP will start happening.
Drip99
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

MaxPower said:

Agree....how long is the leash? Does he get till all star break or 2-3 more series and pull the plug?
Boiling Denim
Watching the run scoring pitches from Hunter Brown yesterday is pretty depressing. This guy is a non-viable starter without a fastball and they gave up on it almost immediately.

The offspeed junk he was throwing all looked the same and was hitting the same spot middle-middle
Marvin
AG
Drip99 said:

CFTXAG10 said:

MaxPower said:

Agree....how long is the leash? Does he get till all star break or 2-3 more series and pull the plug?

I imagine that it will be a while. I can't imagine they would bench him before August, and even then there needs to be a viable solution in place.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
MaxPower
I can't imagine his leash is that long. My guess is end of May.
texasaggie2015
AG
I actually think it's not even that long from what I've been told. Maybe early-mid May
Thinice
At least they're dropping him down in the order.
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

I actually think it's not even that long from what I've been told. Maybe early-mid May

I don't think you can wait that long. By the end of April if Abreu is still sporting something like .08/.15/.08 with 1-2 total RBI you have to make the hard call. That's a guaranteed out in the lineup. It's like being forced to have a bad hitting pitcher hit in place of a primary power position.

He's already got a WAR of -1. The way this team is struggling to score runs and losing games you cannot dig any deeper of a hole. The old adage "you can't win a division in April but you can lose it in April" isn't an old wives tail.

It's not my money and they owe him a ton of it. I get that part. But they will risk the season if they let him do this for another month.

IMHO he's got 2 weeks to get it together. If the rest of the team recovers and starts winning you might afford to give him more time. But if the record doesn't improve during that time and he's still hitting at this level someone has to make the hard call.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Thinice said:

At least they're dropping him down in the order.
It doesn't really matter where they bat him, he seems to always come up with guys on base. Opposing teams aren't stupid, so they're pitching to get to him.
texasaggie2015
AG
2 weeks is almost early May which is hard to believe
Mathguy64
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

2 weeks is a almost a week short of the first of May.

Ok. Snide remark aside, I really don't think they can afford that extra week. Much less a full week into May. Mid May at this rate would be catastrophic.
texasaggie2015
AG
I don't disagree. He hasn't shown us anything to make us think he's snapping out of it.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

2 weeks is a almost a week short of the first of May.

Ok. Snide remark aside, I really don't think they can afford that extra week. Much less a full week into May. Mid May at this rate would be catastrophic.

They are digging themselves so deep of a hole, I would argue that 1 more day is catastrophic. I know folks point to how tough the schedule is so start out and how it gets easier, but over the past few years, the Astros have shown consistently that they do not play well against teams they should beat.

I want to be positive, and I want to see them succeed, I'm just not finding a lot of reason to be optimistic at the moment.
Mathguy64
AG
The problem is he did this last year and he was injured and hid it.

Is this another injury that he won't talk about or is it just old man syndrome? Surely the team knows. And surely they won't take his word for it after him not being truthful last year.

That bat is so slow through the zone it sure looks like old man syndrome. And that's never going to improve. Add in the sketchy defense and this only ends one way.

So do they just cut someone else and have him play backup or just cut him? In August you cut him. He's already been paid most of the salary. Just eat the rest and all of next year. Not cutting him in May means you waste a roster spot on the 26 and 40 man for the season.

Maybe they get creative and lie and put him on the 60 day IL for some unknown reason like anal fissures. That solves a myriad of issues. He gets paid but both roster spots open up.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
AustinCountyAg
will all used to bag on Chandler, but ever since he moved to the Athletic he's wrote some good, straight forward pieces on the Stros'. I've enjoyed the less dewshy side of him.
First Page Last Page
Page 223 of 1927

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.