***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,433,818 Views | 61912 Replies | Last: 17 sec ago by AggiEE
Beat40
How long do you want to ignore this user?
txags92 said:

Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

Beat40 said:

I guess the question is what if pitch 1 or 2 is the only pitch in the AB you could drive? The elite guys will throw whatever they want in whatever count they want. And they usually go 6 regardless of your approach.

I'm pro taking some pitches, but I also understand the idea of hit the best pitch against elite pitching, especially if you are a good-to-great hitter. Taking pitches might only cap their outing at 6 innings.
Given Altuve's proclivities to swing away early in the count, I doubt any decent pitcher is throwing him anything worth hitting in those first couple of pitches. If they do, they are a fool. He seems to swing at a lot of fastballs way above the zone, and sliders way outside on P1. I wonder if statcast has the ability to tell us which team swings at the most pitches that would be called balls? I would bet we are way up there.
Check out the below. I set it to the entire league, all balls in play and strikeouts for everything outside of the zone.

There are some big names on the list. Astros have 2 in the top 10, Altuve (3) and Diaz (9). Ohtani is top 20. Outside of Altuve and Diaz, the next Astro on the list is Yordan at 40.

Astros are #5 at swinging at putting balls in play outside the zone. Lot of playoff teams in top 10, specifically 5-10.

Chases outside zone

Chases outside zone by team

I think the link below is the page you're really looking for. You can sort multiple columns - from chase, whiff, 1st pitch swinnging, etc. You can make numbers say whatever you want to say, but if you look at chase %, while the Astros are really high, there are some other solid playoff teams in the top 10. Also some in the lower 3rd. My takeaway is chasing is all over the board and not a great thing to base an offense off of.

Plate Discipline

When you sort that "chases outside zone by team" by percentage instead of raw #, we are only behind Miami in percentage chased outside the zone. We see fewer pitches than pretty much any other team and swing and miss at a higher percentage on pitches outside of the zone than anybody except Miami. Those metrics ought to get Cintron fired by themselves.

The effect of swinging at all of those pitches outside the zone is that the Astros are last in the league in percentage of pitches seen in the strike zone. If pitchers don't have to put it in the zone to get us to swing at it, they won't.
I'm not disagreeing. I'm also saying the Astros are very high in important offensive categories when compared to the league.

Again, there are other playoff teams performing right around the Astros in terms of all the things you are talking about. Some that are not. It's all over the place

Again, the question is which teams are going to be the most successful in the post-season.
Beau Holder
AG
I think we saw against the Phillies and Padres what happens against a team with pitching effectively as good as the Astros' but better offense.

Pitching has carried the Mariners as far as they've come but they're on the outside right now for a reason. If you can't do the most basic manufacturing of runs more often than not, it doesn't matter how many zeroes you throw up.
HTownAg98
Baserunners are critical to playoff baseball. Being patient at the plate and drawing a walk can be huge. It eats up a pitch count, and puts pressure on the pitcher. Instead, this team seems to want to put the ball in play, and we end up hitting a lot of marginal pitches that are popups and ground balls that result in double plays.
Beau Holder
AG
Exactly this. No walks and no stolen bases (and failure to hold runners to prevent stolen bases, for that matter), failures to sac fly, failure to get into the pen early is not a recipe for winning the close playoff games that aren't determined by a gem or implosion on the mound. Much less a clearly demonstrated decision to almost never change their approach regardless of whether it's working.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

the general issue...

the Astros' championship teams...2017 and 2022...won 101 and 106 regular season games

the Astros' runner-up teams...2019 and 2021...won 107 and 95 regular season games

the 2024 team is going to win 87 or 88 games

Other champs.
2023 - 90 wins
2021 - 88 wins
2019 - 93 wins

Would I rather win 100 or 90 games? 100, duh. But I'm not sure there is a major correlation between win totals and titles. It seems like once you make it, the odds even out significantly.
Odds definitely even out. I'd be more interested in how a team is playing going into the playoffs. That Braves team, for example, was red hot.
Farmer1906
AG
MaxPower said:

Farmer1906 said:

W said:

the general issue...

the Astros' championship teams...2017 and 2022...won 101 and 106 regular season games

the Astros' runner-up teams...2019 and 2021...won 107 and 95 regular season games

Other champs.
2023 - 90 wins
2021 - 88 wins
2019 - 93 wins

Would I rather win 100 or 90 games? 100, duh. But I'm not sure there is a major correlation between win totals and titles. It seems like once you make it, the odds even out significantly.
Odds definitely even out. I'd be more interested in how a team is playing going into the playoffs. That Braves team, for example, was red hot.
Same with the 19 Nats and 22 Phils. All 3 had slow starts are a great final 3/4s of a season. Very familiar feeling.
Beat40
Beau Holder said:

I think we saw against the Phillies and Padres what happens against a team with pitching effectively as good as the Astros' but better offense.
And the Astros were a pitch away from being 2-1 in both series.

Sure, their offense came through in 2 games. Those 2 series were playoff series, and they played like playoff series - good pitching with timely hitting.
Beau Holder
AG
But they weren't 2-1 in both series. They were 1-2. And this discussion is about why. Timely hitting is exactly the problem.

A team this good at getting two on and none out and failing to score is going to have to count on a run of consecutive pitching gems that defies odds.
Beat40
Beau Holder said:

Exactly this. No walks and no stolen bases (and failure to hold runners to prevent stolen bases, for that matter), failures to sac fly, failure to get into the pen early is not a recipe for winning the close playoff games that aren't determined by a gem or implosion on the mound. Much less a clearly demonstrated decision to almost never change their approach regardless of whether it's working.
Astros are 7th in OBP, 0.14 behind #1.

Astros are bad at sac flies - but do you know how many playoff teams are in top 10 in sac flies? 4.

4 post-season teams are in the top 10 in stolen bases.
FrioAg 00
AG
Just a reminder that at this point last year, no playoff team appeared to be limping into the playoffs more than Arlington.

Just get in, and let's get hot once we are in.
cc10106
And they did most of their damage on the road.

Hitting the reset button for the postseason should benefit us as much as anyone else if this team handles biz this week
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Hornbeck
AG
I'm sorry sir, this doesn't fit the narrative of the worst farm system and prospects.
Mr.Bond
AG
cc10106 said:

Padres are something like 40-17 since the All Star Break. That's reminiscent of the '19 Nats.

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Beau Holder
AG
Think we'll hear anything else about Yordan before the Cleveland series?
wehnerhigh20
AG
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Beau Holder
AG
Did I manifest this
wangus12
AG
Hornbeck said:

I'm sorry sir, this doesn't fit the narrative of the worst farm system and prospects.
Ranked 30th again by MLB back in August lol

https://www.mlb.com/news/farm-system-rankings-2024-in-season
EastCoastAgNc
AG
75AG
AG
Color me stupid. Are these the number of hits (alltime) they've had against him?
Prosperdick
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

the general issue...

Other champs.
2023 - 90 wins
2021 - 88 wins
2019 - 93 wins

Exactly, just get in the playoffs and we've all seen anything can happen. It's also what makes our ALCS run so freakin' impressive.
Farmer1906
AG
Gameover. Tucker's dropping 2 bombs for his mentor.

Beat40
EastCoastAgNc said:

Let's go 1-6. Win this game.
Wabs
AG
Caratini over Big Jon in the field?
Beau Bevers
AG
Wabs said:

Caratini over Big Jon in the field?
I'm thinking it's to keep the DH if we have to pinch hit/run for Yainer.
RO519
AG
Baseball position.
1= pitcher
2= catcher
3= 1B
4=2B
5=3B
6=SS
7=LF
8=CF
9=RF

A 6-4-3 double play is SS to 2B to 1B
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Oh yeah we gettin blessed tonight
JDUB08AG
AG
We still have one of the biggest advantages of all. We've been to the playoffs ALOT lately and won twice. So many of these teams are break and then fold like a cheap tent by pressing bc they don't know how to win.
Ag_07
AG
Street clothes huh?

I'm convinced if you gave Unc a bat right now he'd be able to stand in the batters box and give you a quality competitive AB.
75AG
AG
Wasn't even thinking of that. Jeez, sometimes I can be such a tard...
RO519
AG
But I thought playing in the post season wore your team out? At least that is the excuse a lot of ranger fans are using...
txags92
AG
Farmer1906 said:

F me...must mean Yordan is going on IL and Uncle Mike is going to DH.
AggiEE
No updates on Yordan

Guess he's on life support
First Page Refresh
Page 1769 of 1769

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.