***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,266,561 Views | 60091 Replies | Last: 26 min ago by linkdude
Wabs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rangers had a good, magical run last year where all of their players pretty much had career years. They still have some really good players - Seager is simply just awesome. The issue (as an outsider) is they aren't getting consistent contributions from their "non-stars" or really even their "semi-stars" this year. Yes, they've had injuries, but every team has them, and I would say the Astros' injuries have been much more impactful - essentially an entire starting rotation on the IL.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Who?
_veeyah_
AG
halfastros81 said:

With regard to the Astros farm system, we are told over and over again how depleted it is and how it's easily in the bottom quarter of all mlb farm systems …
And yet… we keep bringing players up that are effective enough to keep us competitive…. Especially on the pitching front. Couple that with Sugarland being one of the 2 best Aaa teams . I have basically stopped listening to all the crying about the state of the Astros farm system.

Feels like the Astros have their own system of getting things done like the patriots did with Belichick and Brady. As much as I might get annoyed by it this team does not show much emotion when they're down or super excited when they're rolling. They go about their business game in and game out. They plug in players left and right and they fall right in line of doing the same, leaders like Tuve, Breggy, and Pressley not freaking out when its going bad and they just respond with "its just baseball" thats the way it goes sometimes, helps out the young players a lot.

From the outside some of us freak out and give the organization crap, but at times it does feel like they know what they're doing. Could they have done things better of course, but hell despite all the injuries this year this team battles!
linkdude
AG
Finally some exciting position player promotions. Excited to see Baez on milb.tv
texasaggie2015
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Brutal for him. They had really high hopes but he just hasn't been able to locate since his injury.
Prosperdick
AG
Marvin said:

The Beef01 said:

I've had a bunch of conversations with Rangers' fans the past few weeks traveling back-and-forth to DFW for work and it has really changed my perspective on the Astros' organization.

Rangers fans have 2 things that they all seem to say...

1.) Our injuries have been insane

2.) The organization is positioned for the future and after last year, they're comfortable with a down year

Counter that with the Astros...

1.) Our injuries have been insane (at least 4 of expected 5 starting pitchers on the DL during every game this season...Tucker down 2 months, and counting)

2.) 8 playoff appearances in 9 years (going on 9 out of 10), 7 ALCS appearances, 4 AL pennants & 2 WS championships and absolutely not comfortable with a down year at any point.

On top of all of that, we continue to hear about how depleted and dead our farm system is, but with a major rash of injuries and then Jose Abreu dying in realtime right in front of us....we've sustained success by using our system. So, how can Rangers' fans be so comfortable with their future while fading into oblivion while the Astros "bleak" future is at the center of pushing them into the race?

Copium, and embracing their status as a one-hit wonder.

Seriously, they better enjoy these next two months because their feel good ride is circling the drain. No way they replicate all those career-best seasons again at one time. It was the definition of lightning in a bottle... and in Garcia's case, maybe literally (haha).
What's also funny to me is I guarantee if you ask any random person in another state who won the World Series last year I bet 90% or more couldn't tell you, even folks that generally follow sports. Nobody watched that World Series and if they do become a one-hit wonder it will be one of the quietest "hits" of all-time.
W
AG
playing the 84-win Diamondbacks helped the Rangers win the world series...

but it also helped to make the WS forgettable, unwatchable, unnoteworthy, etc..,
Ag_07
AG
The ironic thing about the Rangers downfall is that everything was so incredibly predictable.

They signed Semien to his big deal coming off an insane outlier of a season. Everyone knew he wasn't ever going to replicate his ridiculous 2021.

They signed Degrom and everyone said...Watch out he makes Lance look like an iron man.

They went and got Bochy who has his pelts on the wall for sure but has shown to be a pretty rough in season manager with a knack for following up WS with absolute goose eggs.

They finally got something out of Adolis who for his entire career had been a journeyman who guess what...Ks A LOT.

They got some incredible production out of that BP during the playoffs that was held together with with duct tape and gorilla glue.

It was a team that was built for a quick flash in the pan. Yeah it got them a WS banner so can't knock it too hard but it's not something that was built to last.

And yeah...I imagine this will be copied and pasted and they'll all laugh at me but guess what? We tried to tell y'all.
iamtheglove
Buck Compton said:

HomeFinderCody said:

Marvin said:

Thanks for all the info on watching Fubo outside Houston. I still couldn't figure it out so I bought MLB TV for the rest of the year. It works outside of Houston so all good.
Wait --- I live in DFW. Are you telling me I can buy MLB TV instead of sending FUBO $100 per month for a crap product? I thought all of Texas was blacked out for anything but buying an actual service (I buy FUBO for baseball season but much prefer YTTV)

Dallas is still blacked out.

Astros and Rangers territory is exactly the same except in a few counties in eastern NM; all of Texas, Oklahoma and most of Louisiana and Arkansas. So the MLb out of market package would only work outside that territory for Astros
Prosperdick
AG
Quote:

And yeah...I imagine this will be copied and pasted and they'll all laugh at me but guess what? We tried to tell y'all.
Their thread is as dead as ******* fried chicken. I don't think you have to worry about it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Wabs said:

Rangers had a good, magical run last year where all of their players pretty much had career years. They still have some really good players - Seager is simply just awesome. The issue (as an outsider) is they aren't getting consistent contributions from their "non-stars" or really even their "semi-stars" this year. Yes, they've had injuries, but every team has them, and I would say the Astros' injuries have been much more impactful - essentially an entire starting rotation on the IL.
Other than the fact that they won it all ( a big fact), the '23-'24 Rangers look a lot like the '86-'87 Astros. A remarkable number of career years and than a whole lot of returning to the expected outcome.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
AggieJ2002
AG
iamtheglove said:

Buck Compton said:

HomeFinderCody said:

Marvin said:

Thanks for all the info on watching Fubo outside Houston. I still couldn't figure it out so I bought MLB TV for the rest of the year. It works outside of Houston so all good.
Wait --- I live in DFW. Are you telling me I can buy MLB TV instead of sending FUBO $100 per month for a crap product? I thought all of Texas was blacked out for anything but buying an actual service (I buy FUBO for baseball season but much prefer YTTV)

Astros and Rangers territory is exactly the same except in a few counties in eastern NM; all of Texas, Oklahoma and most of Louisiana and Arkansas. So the MLb out of market package would only work outside that territory for Astros

That just baffles me. Here in San Diego, no other California teams are blacked out even though the Dodgers and Angels territory is 1 hour away. Crazy to me that Oklahoma and Arkansas would have the Astros blacked out.
txags92
AG
AggieJ2002 said:

iamtheglove said:

Buck Compton said:

HomeFinderCody said:

Marvin said:

That just baffles me. Here in San Diego, no other California teams are blacked out even though the Dodgers and Angels territory is 1 hour away. Crazy to me that Oklahoma and Arkansas would have the Astros blacked out.
If you wanted to come up with a system guaranteed to keep people who wanted to watch the games, but didn't live in Houston and have cable TV, from watching Astros games, this is how you would do it. One would think that more eyes watching the games would be better, but MLB and the Astros seem to be working very hard to keep people from being able to watch the games. Doesn't make any sense to me, but I am sure Crane is a master strategist.
Beat40
The problem is the people running things, both Commissioner and Owners, view baseball as a regional only game. Plus, the old TV contracts were incredibly lucrative, so Owners want to milk that source dry. I can understand that.

There is no leader who is forward thinking, and that should be on the Commissioner.

It's the freaking middle of the summer and the only national games on during the week are sometimes Saturday night and Sunday evening. Why, with no other sports on, is baseball not on Saturday afternoon and evening, and Sunday afternoon and evening?
EastCoastAgNc
AG
Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

Quote:

Alex Bregman vs. Matt Chapman
The Houston Astros' Alex Bregman is getting on one of his August rolls, going 12-for-27 with six extra-base hits in his last six games. He actually has performed at a high level since mid-May, and it's a good thing. His Scott Boras stablemate, the Giants' Matt Chapman, also is a potential free agent at third base and enjoying a better platform season overall.

Bregman, 30, is a year younger than Chapman and possesses far more postseason experience. But Chapman, who can return to the open market by declining his remaining two years and $35 million in player options, is generally considered a better defender. He also has rebounded offensively, producing through Sunday an adjusted OPS that was 25 percent above league average, his best since 2019. Bregman was at 12 percent above, a career low.

The market for third basemen should be interesting. Besides the Astros and Giants, the teams with obvious needs include the Mariners, Arizona Diamondbacks and New York Yankees, presuming they move Jazz Chisholm Jr. to second as a replacement for Gleyber Torres. The Mets also could be a possibility, if they don't view Mark Vientos as a long-term answer.
Who would you prefer next year if the money was equal? Say 3 years at 20-25 M per.
MosesHallRAB04
AG
Maybe it's just me but Chapman has never blown me away. Great defensively but his offense seems lack luster. Doesn't he K a ton?

He's a sub .800 ops guy.
Marvin
AG
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

Quote:

Alex Bregman vs. Matt Chapman
The Houston Astros' Alex Bregman is getting on one of his August rolls, going 12-for-27 with six extra-base hits in his last six games. He actually has performed at a high level since mid-May, and it's a good thing. His Scott Boras stablemate, the Giants' Matt Chapman, also is a potential free agent at third base and enjoying a better platform season overall.

Bregman, 30, is a year younger than Chapman and possesses far more postseason experience. But Chapman, who can return to the open market by declining his remaining two years and $35 million in player options, is generally considered a better defender. He also has rebounded offensively, producing through Sunday an adjusted OPS that was 25 percent above league average, his best since 2019. Bregman was at 12 percent above, a career low.

The market for third basemen should be interesting. Besides the Astros and Giants, the teams with obvious needs include the Mariners, Arizona Diamondbacks and New York Yankees, presuming they move Jazz Chisholm Jr. to second as a replacement for Gleyber Torres. The Mets also could be a possibility, if they don't view Mark Vientos as a long-term answer.
Who would you prefer next year if the money was equal? Say 3 years at 20-25 M per.

Probably Bregman just for the history, if we are talking about 3/60.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
With where we stand as a team, I would favor offense when possible
Farmer1906
AG
Chapman has been better this year so far.

MosesHallRAB04
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Chapman has been better this year so far.

As dreadful as Bregman was in April/May he's closed the gap more than he should have.
Ag_07
AG
IIRC they both got off to pretty awful starts.
The Porkchop Express
AG
W said:

but it also helped to make the WS forgettable, unwatchable, unnoteworthy, etc..,
But I'm sure that doesn't apply to the Astros playing the 87-win Phillies in 2022 instead of the 101 win Braves, 101 win Mets or the 111 win Dodgers, right?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
n_touch
The Porkchop Express said:

W said:

But I'm sure that doesn't apply to the Astros playing the 87-win Phillies in 2022 instead of the 101 win Braves, 101 win Mets or the 111 win Dodgers, right?

Don't bring facts into this

Kashchei
AG

W said:

87 wins > 84 wins
MosesHallRAB04
AG

W said:

But people watched. Because the Astros are the new team for everyone to hate watch. No one gives a crap about the rangers.
OPAG
AG
Quote:

Ahh, hmmm. Um,

you seem to be forgetting the difference between the Diamondbacks and the Phillies. LOL.

FrioAg 00
AG
Of course I want us to win it all this year, like I do every year, but to me it's every bit as important to make it to the ALCS.

This will be our 8th in a row, and tie with the 90's Braves for the most consecutive LS appearances. They only won 1 World Series during that span, meaning we have a chance at a legitimate argument for the best dynasty period ever just by making it.

If we somehow make it all the way and win this WS, I think it is beyond question the best dynasty period.
tjack16
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

Of course I want us to win it all this year, like I do every year, but to me it's every bit as important to make it to the ALCS.

This will be our 8th in a row, and tie with the 90's Braves for the most consecutive LS appearances. They only won 1 World Series during that span, meaning we have a chance at a legitimate argument for the best dynasty period ever just by making it.

If we somehow make it all the way and win this WS, I think it is beyond question the best dynasty period.

If we make it to the ALCS this year, I think we'd beat whoever we face.

Dont think we have the full strength to win the World Series but I think we could run through the AL as long as we get guys back/don't go ice cold again
Farmer1906
AG
I can't put us ahead of a bunch of Yankees runs. They won 5 in a row '49-'53, 4 in a row '36-'39, and 16 championships in 27 years. Even more recently their run from '95 to whenever you want to say it ended was 4-5 titles, up to 7 pennants, and a few more CS and DS trips too.

I would put us ahead of the 2010s Giants and maybe even the 70s As. They won more titles so far but they were much shorter periods of excellence.

We're most similar to the Big Red machine of the 70s, but I'd take our run over theirs.

I think we're past the Braves of the 90s too.

The Sox have won 4 titles since 2004, but it felt more like a 2000s run, a random 2013 flash, and then a different run in the late 2010s.

Am I missing anyone?
Farmer1906
AG
If the season ended today we'd have to go through KC & CLE. While Cleveland would have a bye and only need to win 1 series, I think we'd be favored over KC and then over CLE if we made it. This is a very manageable path.
FrioAg 00
AG
Even being solidly in the Top 5 dynasty discussion, and arguably either 1 or 2 for the past 75 years just feels great.

For whatever reason, I really want that one undeniable record on our resume.
texasaggie2015
AG
Amed Rosario DFA'd. He's WAY better than Aledmys Diaz and would be an instant upgrade. Go get him, Dana.
gigemJTH12
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Amed Rosario DFA'd. He's WAY better than Aledmys Diaz and would be an instant upgrade. Go get him, Dana.
DFA's hitting .305. wild.
First Page Last Page
Page 1367 of 1717

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.