***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,259,924 Views | 59934 Replies | Last: 2 min ago by JohnnyTexAg1995
texasaggie2015
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That article was one bold prediction for each team- so I don't think he's saying he expects it to happen, he just has to make a bold prediction and that's what he went with. Which makes sense.

I don't think Wade would make sense for Houston. He's another lefty who struggles to hit lefties. He wouldn't be cheap either.

If they decide to take a big swing on a bat, it'll be a righty. Chandler and I have seemingly heard the same thing about Vlad Jr. It's possible, but I just don't see them paying the price. If they do, it's 100% a Crane decision.

I fully expect them to be active, but I would be surprised to see a big splash as of right now.
Wabs
AG
I get the idea that we could use a 1B bat, but if we do "big splash" trade (unlikely), I'd prefer it be for a SP.
Farmer1906
AG
Wabs said:

I get the idea that we could use a 1B bat, but if we do "big splash" trade (unlikely), I'd prefer it be for a SP.
Same. I think Tyler Anderson makes a lot of sense. Affordable but impactful.
Marvin
AG
Last night notwithstanding, I think pitching is the key to making noise the rest of the year. Tucker will come back (eventually), and Caratini will help.

Wonder if France is even a thought as a situational bat to pair with Singleton? He has decent splits, right?
agdaddy04
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Spaghetti needs to go...... period. Dudes not a major league pitcher

I keep seeing this talked about on the board, but outside of a typical one bad inning per start, has he been that bad? He's been serviceable for sure and has shown signs of being good. 6 innings last night and w/o the error by Dubon he definitely pitched good enough to win. Even with giving up 4, I'd still have expected to score more with how many the Astros left on base.
Farmer1906
AG
I think this was posted yesterday, but here are the details of any players with Astros as "Potential Landing Spots".

Quote:

5. Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 1B, Blue Jays

Positional ranking: No. 3 Bat
Contract status: Owed $6.6 million in 2024, then arbitration eligible through 2025
First-half stats: .288/.361/.456/.816, 14 HR, 55 RBI, 1.5 WAR
Likelihood of being dealt:

As with Bichette, Toronto can happily hold on to Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and try again next year. Or the Jays can dive headfirst into a rebuild by landing a haul of prospects for a four-time All-Star who's still only 25. While Guerrero hasn't repeated the 2021 numbers that garnered him an MVP runner-up, he looked close to that version of himself in May and June. He's a game-changing bat with a chunk of his prime still to go.

Quote:

10. Pete Alonso, 1B, Mets

Positional ranking: No. 6 Bat
Contract status: Owed $6.5 million in 2024, then a free agent
First-half stats: .240/.319/.454/.772, 19 HR, 51 RBI, 1.1 WAR

At the end of May, Pete Alonso stood a good chance of being the biggest name on the move this deadline. Now, with the Mets back in the wild-card hunt, trading the face of the franchise is a lot less palatable for president of baseball operations David Stearns. In the event things go suddenly and significantly south for New York, well, Alonso could still fetch a nice return in his walk year. It hasn't been a vintage season for the first baseman; after averaging 44 homers and 111 RBIs in his first five years, he's on pace for 32 dingers and 86 driven in.
Quote:

11. Nathan Eovaldi, RHP, Rangers
Positional ranking: No. 4 SP
Contract status: Owed $5.3 million in 2024 with vesting player option for 2025

First-half stats: 6-3, 2.97 ERA, 24.5 K%, 6.9 BB%, 1.7 WAR

Nathan Eovaldi has aged remarkably well, pitching as well as ever at 34, and his extensive, excellent playoff track record could make him especially attractive. Of course, it's also why the Rangers may be hesitant to trade him if they haven't totally given up on their title defense. Further complicating things is his contract, which adds a $20 million player option for 2025 if he throws at least 160 innings this season, although he's pitched well enough to possibly turn that down anyway.

Quote:

12. Jack Flaherty, RHP, Tigers

Positional ranking: No. 5 SP
Contract status: Owed $4.7 million in 2024, then a free agent
First-half stats: 6-5, 3.13 ERA, 32.1 K%, 4.3 BB%, 2.1 WAR

Far less complicated than the Skubal decision, trading Jack Flaherty should come down to the Tigers being offered more than the draft pick compensation they'd get if he leaves as a free agent. He's been a brilliant one-year signing, resurrecting his career and looking every bit as good as he did as a young phenom in St. Louis. Even with some injury question marks, Flaherty will be one of the most sought-after pitching rentals on the market.

Quote:

13. Yandy Daz, 1B, Rays

Positional ranking: No. 7 Bat
Contract status: Owed $12.7 million through 2025 with club option for 2026
First-half stats: .273/.329/.396/.726, 8 HR, 46 RBI, 0.8 WAR

Yandy Daz isn't a prototypical slugging first baseman, but he's produced a 130 OPS+ in six seasons with the Rays, including winning the batting title in 2023. His first-half numbers were down, a possible concern with a 32-year-old owed $10 million in 2025, but Daz is an underrated player who crushes left-handed pitching and has the flexibility to bounce over to third base in a pinch if needed.

Quote:

14. Jess Luzardo, LHP, Marlins

Positional ranking: No. 6 SP
Contract status: Owed $1.8 million in 2024, then arbitration eligible through 2026
First-half stats: 3-6, 5.00 ERA, 21.2 K%, 8.0 BB%, 0.6 WAR

After his full-season breakout in 2023, Jess Luzardo's year has been, like everything for the 2024 Marlins, a disappointment. He's made just a dozen uneven starts, and he's currently on the 60-day IL with a back issue. Nevertheless, Luzardo, 26, has top-of-the-rotation stuff and is under team control for two seasons beyond this one.

Quote:

15. Christian Walker, 1B, Diamondbacks

Positional ranking: No. 8 Bat
Contract status: Owed $3.6 million in 2024, then a free agent
First-half stats: .264/.373/.495/.837, 22 HR, 66 RBI, 2.9 WAR

Few players in the game have been as overlooked in the last few years as Christian Walker, who ranks fourth in WAR at first base dating to 2020. He brings power at the plate and a slick glove at first. He's a guy who can help deepen the middle of most any order from the right side. Like more than half the National League, the Diamondbacks currently straddle the buy/sell line.

Quote:

17. Yusei Kikuchi, LHP, Blue Jays

Positional ranking: No. 7 SP
Contract status: Owed $3.3 million in 2024, then a free agent
First-half stats: 4-8, 4.42 ERA, 26.0 K%, 5.8 BB%, 2.0 WAR

Yusei Kikuchi has been good rather than great in three seasons with the Blue Jays, putting together dominant stretches only to struggle for weeks at a time. Still, his high strikeout rate and demonstrated ability to pitch like an All-Star for stretches is likely enough to make him one of the most sought-after rental starters available. He would fit nicely in the No. 3 or No. 4 spot of most contending rotations, but might not appeal to every team as a reliable playoff rotation option against righty-heavy lineups.

Quote:

21. Erick Fedde, RHP, White Sox

Positional ranking: No. 8 SP
Contract status: Owed $10 million through 2025
First-half stats: 7-3, 2.99 ERA, 21.6 K%, 6.6 BB%, 2.7 WAR

Erick Fedde reinvented himself in South Korea, winning MVP honors and then returning to MLB on a two-year, $15 million deal that now has the last-place White Sox primed to get some real value in exchange. While not quite a front-line arm, this version of Fedde looks like a solid mid-rotation starter and next year's $7.5 million salary is a bargain even if he regresses a bit.

Quote:

24. Jason Adam, RHP, Rays

Positional ranking: No. 4 RP
Contract status: Owed $900,000 in 2024, then arbitration eligible through 2026
First-half stats: 1.67 ERA, 27.5 K%, 8.8 BB%, 130 Stuff+

Jason Adam is the latest in a long line of journeyman pitchers to find success in the Rays' bullpen. And, like many of those before him, he could become trade bait now that he's 32 and starting to get costly. Adam's strikeout rate is down a bit this season, but he's throwing harder than ever and his ERA is under 2.00 for the second time in three years with Tampa Bay.

Quote:

26. Zach Eflin, RHP, Rays

Positional ranking: No. 9 SP
Contract status: Owed $22.7 million through 2025
First-half stats: 5-6, 3.99 ERA, 18.9 K%. 2.2 BB%, 1.6 WAR

As usual in Tampa Bay, money could be a factor with Zach Eflin set to make $18 million in 2025. In fact, it's possible the Rays backloaded his three-year contract with the intention of shopping him before then, not unlike what they did with Tyler Glasnow. Teams with decent-sized payrolls could simply see Eflin as a solid, strike-throwing mid-rotation starter with a market-rate contract, making him enticing.

Quote:

27. Pete Fairbanks, RHP, Rays

Positional ranking: No. 5 RP
Contract status: Owed $5.9 million through 2025 with a club option for 2026
First-half stats: 3.21 ERA, 23.0 K%, 10.8 BB%, 124 Stuff+, 0.5 WAR

Another product of Tampa Bay's reliever factory, Pete Fairbanks has served as the Rays' primary closer for the past two-plus seasons. His durability has been an issue and his strikeout rate has declined sharply this season along with a 2 mph drop in fastball velocity. Even if he's more of a setup-caliber reliever at this point, his $3.7 million salary for 2025 and $7 million team option for 2026 would be attractive.

Quote:

30. Chris Bassitt, RHP, Blue Jays

Positional ranking: No. 10 SP
Contract status: Owed $30 million through 2025
First-half stats: 8-7, 3.52 ERA, 21.3 K%, 9.6 BB%, 1.0 WAR

Assuming the Blue Jays decide to deal away more than just impending free agents, the 35-year-old Chris Bassitt, who has a limited no-trade clause, is a no-brainer to cash in. This is his seventh straight year with a sub-3.85 ERA, and next season's $22 million salary is roughly the going rate for a second or third starter in free agency, without requiring a long commitment.
Quote:

33. Blake Snell, LHP, Giants
Positional ranking: No. 11 SP
Contract status: Owed $5 million in 2024, then a player option for 2025
First-half stats: 0-3, 6.31 ERA, 26.6 K%, 10.8 BB%, 0.5 WAR

All offseason, teams balked at Snell's asking price off a Cy Young Award-winning season, forcing him to accept a less-than-expected offer from the Giants. After he posted an ERA above 6.00 in the first half, why would anyone decide he's now worth the contract? Well, Snell does have an established track record of pitching much better after the All-Star break each year, and the deadline inspires some creative read: desperate machinations.

Quote:

37. Lucas Erceg, RHP, Athletics

Positional ranking: No. 8 RP
Contract status: Owed $300,000 in 2024, then controllable through 2029
First-half stats: 2.94 ERA, 26.8 K%, 8.5 BB%, 111 Stuff+, 0.3 WAR

Based on his remaining team control, the A's shouldn't be motivated to trade Lucas Erceg, but the converted infielder is already 29 years old and Oakland selling on an ascending reliever would make plenty of sense. Erceg has electric raw stuff, led by a triple-digit sinker, and he's made big strides with control in his first full season as a big-league reliever.

Quote:

47. Michael Kopech, RHP, White Sox

Positional ranking: No. 11 RP
Contract status: Owed $1 million in 2024, then arbitration eligible through 2025
First-half stats: 5.05 ERA, 30.9 K%, 12.7 BB%, 143 Stuff+, -0.3 WAR

It's just not going to happen for Michael Kopech in Chicago, but surely some team is convinced it can fix a former top-20 prospect with a triple-digit fastball and 12 strikeouts per nine innings. Whether starting or relieving, he's been doomed by too many homers and walks, but Kopech is an obvious buy-low candidate with another full season of team control remaining.

Quote:

49. Tyler Anderson, LHP, Angels

Positional ranking: No. 15 SP
Contract status: Owed $17.3 million through 2025
First-half stats: 8-8, 2.97 ERA, 16.8 K%, 9.8 BB%, 1.2 WAR

Tyler Anderson has made an All-Star team and posted a sub-3.00 ERA in two of the past three seasons despite below-average strikeout rates and so-so underlying metrics. He shouldn't be counted on at the top of any contender's rotation, but the soft-tossing southpaw is a solid mid-rotation option with a reasonably priced deal through 2025 and the Angels should be motivated to get what they can for him.

Quote:

50. Jordan Montgomery, LHP, Diamondbacks

Positional ranking: No. 16 SP
Contract status: Owed $8.3 million in 2024, then a player option for 2025
First-half stats: 6-5, 6.44 ERA, 15.1 K%, 7.7 BB%, 0.5 WAR

Like Blake Snell, Jordan Montgomery's regular season has been as much of a nightmare as his offseason. He's still a short time removed from being a Game 1 starter for a World Series winner, and the 2025 player option that maxes out at $25 million isn't inherently disqualifying for a player of his caliber. It's just tough to see someone pulling this specific lever now, especially with the Diamondbacks in the hunt and Montgomery out for most of the last month with knee inflammation.

Mathguy64
AG
Marvin said:

Wonder if France is even a thought as a situational bat to pair with Singleton? He has decent splits, right?
He has big L/R splits and would effectively be free. But they have turned those opportunities down several times.

You could do Jon and France in a platoon and have a better than average 1B.

The flip side is I must be missing something because Seattle is beyond desperate for hitters and if they couldn't make him work in a platoon maybe there is something there to avoid.
Farmer1906
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Mr.Bond said:

I keep seeing this talked about on the board, but outside of a typical one bad inning per start, has he been that bad? He's been serviceable for sure and has shown signs of being good. 6 innings last night and w/o the error by Dubon he definitely pitched good enough to win. Even with giving up 4, I'd still have expected to score more with how many the Astros left on base.
This is a tough one for me. I think he's just a rookie figuring it out.

The #s:

86.0 IP (4.78 IP per)
5.65 ERA
1.58 WHIP

What to like:

He actually can strike guys out. It's not an elite level and anything crazy, but I'll take 24.5% K% & 25.9% Whiff% from a mid to back-end starter every day of the week.

He shows "unlucky" based on the expected #s.
5.65 ERA vs 4.32 xERA, 4.44 xFIP.

11 of his 18 starts have a game score of at least 49.

What to dislike:

Here is his pitch mix combined with Stuff+ & xwOBA
  • 4 Seam (41.6%) - 83 / .386
  • Curveball (19.6%) - 115 / .231
  • Cutter (19.4%) - 62 / 338
  • Sweeper (11.5%) - 120 / .212
  • Changeup (7.8%) - 99 / .395

His fastballs kind of suck. 67% of your pitches thrown cannot suck this badly. The cutter is working much better than the stuff shows, but the 4 seam is getting crushed. His change up is getting crushed worse.

11.5% BB%. (bottom 14%)

You cannot walk that many batters without being able to wipe them out with Framber specials and an elite K rate.

He is a mixed bag. But this is his rookie year and he's worth continuing to develop. We need(ed) innings with so many injuries and he's done a serviceable job.
Mr.Bond
AG
agdaddy04 said:

Mr.Bond said:

His ERA is north of 5.6 and a WHIP of 1.58..... he's bad. Not only that the dude gives up seriously hard contact every time the ball hits the barrel. He got tee'd off on last night
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

EastCoastAgNc
AG
Mr.Bond
AG
I would be shocked if holiday was moved
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

MAGA

Farmer1906
AG
EastCoastAgNc said:

That is an enormous asking price.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
cc10106
Arrighetti had a good start against Arlington just over a week ago that was wasted by the (lack of) offense. He's probably hitting a wall.
Beau Holder
AG
Good post. I also lean ultimately on the side of "forced into action a year before he's ready." He's performed admirably in the aggregate, but he's not fully ready.

I like his swing and miss and attitude. I also think his control problems are too steep right now.
Farmer1906
AG
Quick offseason talk, but could be relevant to the trade deadline.

Our luxury tax payroll is 256 M. If we assume no JV, Bregman, Pressly, & Graveman next year and factor in raises to Yordan & Javier, along with all the arbitration increases THEN our 2025 payroll should be around 233 M before adding anyone. The luxury tax threshold is 241 next year. Anyone we add who has multiple years of control needs to cost less than 8 M if we want to reset our tax without getting rid of anyone else (Montero!). That is just a quick estimate on my part. I wonder how Dana and Crane feel about being in the tax repeat years.
BCEDAg
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Our luxury tax payroll is 256 M. If we assume no JV, Bregman, Pressly, & Graveman next year and factor in raises to Yordan & Javier, along with all the arbitration increases THEN our 2025 payroll should be around 233 M before adding anyone. The luxury tax threshold is 241 next year. Anyone we add who has multiple years of control needs to cost less than 8 M if we want to reset our tax without getting rid of anyone else (Montero!). That is just a quick estimate on my part. I wonder how Dana and Crane feel about being in the tax repeat years.

What is Graveman's status? Thought I read a few weeks ago he could be back in September?
Ag_07
AG
Nothing wrong with how Spencer is performing thus far. He was called on a bit earlier than expected and has been serviceable as a back end guy.

Definitely not in the 'He needs to go' camp. I think he's in the needs more development camp which doesn't quite fit the org needs right now. They don't have time to let him develop which is why I think he's a nice trade piece for a team looking for pitching that has the luxury of letting him learn and figure it out.
Farmer1906
AG
BCEDAg said:

Farmer1906 said:

What is Graveman's status? Thought I read a few weeks ago he could be back in September?

From June 24

Quote:

Lastly, righty Kendall Graveman tells Matt Kawahara of the Houston Chronicle that he's not giving up hope of a late-season return following his January shoulder surgery. While Graveman acknowledged the possibility is "remote," he's midway through a throwing program and could begin throwing off a mound sometime in early August. He's currently throwing on flat ground from a distance of 90 feet.
MaxPower
Farmer1906 said:

EastCoastAgNc said:

That is an enormous asking price.
Makes more sense that the Orioles trade Mayo given there's no place for him to play but agree that should be the price.
Beat40
Mr.Bond said:

agdaddy04 said:

Mr.Bond said:

His ERA is north of 5.6 and a WHIP of 1.58..... he's bad. Not only that the dude gives up seriously hard contact every time the ball hits the barrel. He got tee'd off on last night
I'm not ready to give up on the dude. He has a lot of qualities that I like.

He shouldn't be even pitching with the Astros this year - he should be in AAA figuring things out and tinkering, but he was called upon. Even as tough of a night as it was for him last night, he still kept it close over 6 innings. That's what a 5th spot starter should do - keep the games close more often than not, and outside of a few starts, he's done that.

Way too premature to kick him to the curb.
Beat40
It sucks for him he kind of lost a year to figure stuff out by being at the MLB level, especially with the resurgence of the 2-seam and sinker in MLB this year.

His mentals are a huge plus to me.

Hopefully he has a really productive off-season and can become a 3rd starter type of guy, because guys that have his mental make up on the mound are guys I want in my rotation.
Farmer1906
AG

Quote:

Houston Astros: Adding, but not all-in. Unlike past seasons, the Astros aren't necessarily in the middle of high-level trade conversations. Barely a month ago, they were 10 games back of Seattle in the standings but got hot at just the right time. Despite an excellent rotation's worth of pitchers on the injured list -- Justin Verlander, Cristian Javier, Lance McCullers Jr., Luis Garcia and Jose Urquidy -- an eighth consecutive trip to the ALCS is no longer a pipe dream and they are happy to deal from their farm system in pursuit of winning. While the first-base options to fill in for the disaster that was the Jose Abreu contract are far from plentiful, if the Astros can make some small moves while getting Verlander and Kyle Tucker back from the IL, they are in the right division to make it to October with a mediocre-looking record -- and do what they do best.

tjack16
AG
I'd love a first basemen, and an arm. Maybe two arms if you can get them cheaper.

Guerrero Jr, Neris and Anderson would be my wish list
redline248
AG
1B with at least 200 PA at the position: Singleton is square in the middle, which as I said last night, is fine. However, why the team has refused to find an actual platoon for him vs LHP is a head scratcher. Is Aledmys cheaper than other guys that became available and have actually hit this year?

edit: sorry, min 140 PA, I think
Farmer1906
AG
My ideal and semi-realistic deadline

1. Land a starting pitcher with over 1 year of control - Anderson or Eflin fit.
B. Clear up some room ($) by sending Montero & a prospect to someone with money (see Mets, they basically bought prospects in the JV trade)
III. Land a right-handed hitting first baseman. - Walker would be ideal, but I wouldn't mind Cooper, France, Cahna, Vaughn, etc.
BONUS. Get one of those stud RPs from TBR or OAK - Fairbanks would be my pick
Ag_07
AG
I'm guessing they haven't found a platoon for Jon because they don't want to waste a roster spot on a guy who that's all he can do. That's not the most efficient use of a back end roster spot.

Diaz can play all over the IF and OF and there are way more options to use him than say someone like France.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248 said:

1B with at least 200 PA at the position: Singleton is square in the middle, which as I said last night, is fine. However, why the team has refused to find an actual platoon for him vs LHP is a head scratcher. Is Aledmys cheaper than other guys that became available and have actually hit this year?

edit: sorry, min 140 PA, I think
To add this.

RHH vs LHP

LHH vs RHP

So many names would be helpful and attainable.
Farmer1906
AG
redline248
AG
Ag_07 said:

I'm guessing they haven't found a platoon for Jon because they don't want to waste a roster spot on a guy who that's all he can do. That's not the most efficient use of a back end roster spot.
This is Singleton, but left handed. You're already wasting a roster spot on him when a LHP is on the mound, but now you're wasting two by playing a guy like Aledmys.
Quote:

Diaz can play all over the IF and OF and there are way more options to use him than say someone like France.
This is exactly what Dubon is. Why do we need 2 of them, when only 1 of them can hit?
Mathguy64
AG
I've been staring at split stats for an hour. I cannot for the life of me understand what Seattle is doing. They hit for **** and strike out like crazy and yet just dumped a guy who is better than average as a RHH vs LHP.

You have 6 more days to get him for the league min or work out a trade now if you think someone else will go after him. Given it's your in division rival I would guess their ask now would be higher than his worth.
Beau Holder
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Can he play 3B?
tylhair
AG
Propping him up as trade bait?
redline248
AG
tylhair said:

They definitely don't need to be trading infielders. Well, maybe Kessinger or one of those 2B in AAA
Farmer1906
AG
tylhair said:

Getting him as ready as possible since he needs to replace Breggy.

We(I) can get some batted ball data from Savant once he starts playing AAA.
First Page Last Page
Page 1146 of 1713

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.