***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]

3,072,306 Views | 56902 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Philip J Fry
Prosperdick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
bearkatag15 said:

He's a huge baseball fan. Yeah….uhhh, whatever.
Ag_07
AG
Can we go back and admire that double by Jake in the 4th?

That ball was absolutely pissed on. Such a perfect swing.
iBrad
AG
Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

He actually is. He's a Cardinals fan and his dog is named Wacha after Michael Wacha. Our TV is on Bravo more than I'd prefer, but it does give me TexAgs time.
cc10106
5 minutes in for anyone who missed it:

He just missed hitting a homer Wednesday as well.
texasaggie2015
AG
Still no power here. Starting to get really demoralizing. At least the Astros got a big sweep.
Marvin
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Still no power here. Starting to get really demoralizing. At least the Astros got a big sweep.

Mine came on last night, then went off several times. I think it stabilized around 10pm. Hang in there.

Mrs. Marvin and I talked to a line crew from Chicago last night at a restaurant while we waited for the power to stay on. Half Cubs and Sox fans. I asked them if we could borrow Crochet and Robert and their response was only if we take back Maldonado as well. lol

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Daddy-O5
AG
Be glad to lend you my small generator if it would help until the power gets back on. We're back online and I've got a 6500-watt generator sitting around. Won't run the house but maybe some fans, fridge, etc. In Tomball, not too far from you based on zip code on the other thread.
07ag
AG
texasaggie2015 said:

Same
https://ts.la/eric59704
Prosperdick
AG
iBrad said:

Prosperdick said:

bearkatag15 said:

He actually is. He's a Cardinals fan and his dog is named Wacha after Michael Wacha. Our TV is on Bravo more than I'd prefer, but it does give me TexAgs time.
Wow, I never would have guessed.
Farmer1906
AG
Team Stats Check In

OFFENSE
STAT - Season Long / Since June 1
Off WAR - 31.8 (9th) / 21.9 (9th)
wRC+ - 111 (8th) / 115 (8th)
Runs - 448 (9th) / 196 (4th)
BA - .263 (1st) / .272 (2nd)
OBP - .324 (6th) / .327 (8th)
SLG - .420 (7th) / .437 (8th)
OPS - .744 (7th) / .764 (8th)
K% - 18.2% (2nd) / 18.8% (5th)
BB% - 7.4% (26th) / 6.6% (27th)
SB - 63 (14th) / 26 (11th)

Overall, the offense has been fairly consistent. We've been a top 10 O all season long. It ticks up as things warm up, but that's true across baseball. What we have done better at is be more timely. That's why we jumped from 9th to 4th in runs. The only glaring hole is the lack of free passes. I think we can stomach it if we keep the BA and SLG high. It'll also help to get Tucker back.

OFFENSE
STAT - Season Long / Since June 1
WAR - 5.8 (22nd) / 2.8 (17th)
ERA - 4.08 (17th) / 3.71 (7th)
FIP - 4.28 (23rd) / 4.18 (17th)
xFIP - 4.16 (19th) / 3.95 (10th)
SIERA - 4.06 (21st) / 3.86 (12th)
K% - 22.9% (12th) / 23.7% (5th)
BB% - 9.5% (27th) / 8.5% (22nd)
K-BB% - 13.4% (21st) / 15.2% (11th)
WHIP - 1.31 (22nd) / 1.24 (10th)

I don't want to oversimplify things, but we're striking more out and walking fewer. At a quick glance, I don't see giant changes to the batted ball data.
EastCoastAgNc
AG
All I do is Nguyen
Speaking of Maldy..

CFTXAG10
AG
There was a GOAT on a bike sitting on my desk this morning
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You probably already know this but you can run a hell of a lot of things on a generator that size. I ran 2 fridges, 2 freezers, portable a/c, multiple fans, and misc. electronic stuff off of my 5/6,000kw generator.
CFTXAG10
AG
07ag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Same
I get you might be hunkered down and ready to ride this out, but if you guys need anything don't hesitate to ask. Praying power comes back soon.

Edit to add: we are finally settled back into the house after staying at our in-laws "refugee camp" for 2 days. Got at least one guest room w/ a queen bed if anyone needs it until they get power back.
Daddy-O5
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

You probably already know this but you can run a hell of a lot of things on a generator that size. I ran 2 fridges, 2 freezers, portable a/c, multiple fans, and misc. electronic stuff off of my 5/6,000kw generator.
For sure. We do pretty well with power outages and getting back online since we're on the same grid as a fire station, so never invested in a whole home. I've got it just in case to run the freezer, fridge, fans, portable A/C, etc. Just enough to make sure we don't lose our food and can stay reasonably cool during relatively short periods of downtime.
Prosperdick
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Speaking of Maldy..

Quote:

His work in the cage is paying off

Were there no cages in Houston?
texasaggie2015
AG
We always knew he had it in him

(Sarcasm)
redline248
AG
Quote:

DON'T YOU DARE LET THIS MAN GET HOT
He won't
EastCoastAgNc
AG

More defensive gems from the home run pimper last night
cc10106
Nice. I'll be there tomorrow and probably lined up early for the first time in years.

I know this team has really been grinding, but hopefully they're not looking ahead to the break too much this weekend after sweeping an awful Marlins team. I like our chances witht Heaney vs. Brown tonight and Blanco pitching Sunday, but Arlington basically has its backs against the wall.
Farmer1906
AG
I am not a huge Jazz fan, but this is only year 2 for him in the OF. He was a +4 in FRV last year and was +1 until this most recent series (now -1). I think that is pretty admirable since they had a hole in the OF and he stepped up and changed positions to fill it.
CFTXAG10
AG
cc10106 said:

Nice. I'll be there tomorrow and probably lined up early for the first time in years.
I am sending a family member to pick up my Yordan Still Tippin 713 bobblehead. I bought the voucher a while back. Someone posted the pic of it here and I was immediately suckered in to forking over the $40.
The Porkchop Express
dcaggie04 said:

Obviously Breggie came over to tell him to strike this mother fer out.
Asked him if he knew about the buy 8, get the 9th free deal on his salsa.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Porkchop Express
EastCoastAgNc said:

More defensive gems from the home run pimper last night
I didn't get to see the replay, but on Joey's triple the other night it definitely looked like Jazz hit his elbow against the fence really hard and it made him miss the ball.
The Porkchop Express
cc10106 said:

I know this team has really been grinding, but hopefully they're not looking ahead to the break too much this weekend after sweeping an awful Marlins team. I like our chances witht Heaney vs. Brown tonight and Blanco pitching Sunday, but Arlington basically has its backs against the wall.
After last year's ALCS, I dont think the Astros ever look past the Rangers again.
07ag
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

07ag said:

texasaggie2015 said:

Same
I get you might be hunkered down and ready to ride this out, but if you guys need anything don't hesitate to ask. Praying power comes back soon.

Edit to add: we are finally settled back into the house after staying at our in-laws "refugee camp" for 2 days. Got at least one guest room w/ a queen bed if anyone needs it until they get power back.
Appreciate the offer! for now at least, have a place to stay with air conditioning and enough room for my family. if something changes i'll keep this in mind

just all around frustrating, lack of power, lack of information, loss of food in fridge/freezer, etc.
https://ts.la/eric59704
EastCoastAgNc
AG

Good for Mack
Marvin
AG
I was in Memphis all week, so I only dealt with the outage yesterday afternoon. I hooked a portable AC unit, the fridge, a couple of lights, and phone/tablet/laptop to my new F150's onboard generator and it worked like a champ.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
cc10106
Sure. Just meant that we're limping into the break at this point, but that goes for others as well. I'll take not getting swept and no more injuries at this point honestly. Not even thinking about Seattle because relying on the Angels for any help ever isn't wise IMO.

Obviously this week puts a lot of things into perspective, and some Astros players may have families affected by the outages as well.
Ag_07
AG
I can't wait to bury the Rangers and send them off to the break to prepare for their fire sale then come back after the break and finally catch SEA and put them in their rightful place behind us in the standings.
Farmer1906
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Mock Draft Season

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2024-mock-draft-1-0/

Quote:

28. Houston Astros
Pick: Tyson Lewis, SS, Millard West HS (NE)
Like the Rays, the Astros have an analytical reputation but tend to draft for tools more than statistical performance, and Lewis has those. As I began sourcing on these picks later in the round, the Lewis/Astros pairing was the first that emerged.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5629426/2024/07/11/mlb-mock-draft-2024-prospects-travis-bazzana/

Quote:

28. Houston Astros: Walker Janek, C, Sam Houston State

I've primarily heard Houston with college bats the last few weeks, which could be Janek, Malcolm Moore, White, or Burke, while on the prep side I've heard them a bunch with Lewis and Johnson.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10127898-2024-mlb-mock-draft-breaking-down-top-prospects-and-predictions
Quote:

28. Houston Astros: Jacob Cozart, C, North Carolina State

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-pipeline-2024-mock-draft-july-4

Quote:

28. Astros: Theo Gillen, SS/2B, Westlake HS, Texas (No. 28)

Right now, a prep infielder like Gillen might have the edge over the college catchers (Janek and Stanford's Malcolm Moore) or an infielder like Amick.

More Mock Info

Quote:

Round 1, #28) Jacob Cozart, C, NC State
Another Option: Dakota Jordan, OF, Mississippi State

Round 3, #101) Connor Foley, RHP, Indiana
Another Option: Jay Abernathy, SS, North Cobb (GA)

Round 4, #131) Brandon Neely, RHP, Florida
Another Option: Casey Cooke, OF, UNC

CONCLUSION:
I think we will see the Astros go heavy on college players again, after getting some solid returns from the high school guys last year. There has been some talk of them going high school position player in the first round, and that would be fun. Projecting the draft is tough, but the Astros will most likely identify some sneaky pitchers in the top 10 rounds. It would be nice to see them swing for the fences on a couple high school prospects again, like they've done the last few drafts.
Wabs
AG
Ag_07 said:

I can't wait to bury the Rangers and send them off to the break to prepare for their fire sale then come back after the break and finally catch SEA and put them in their rightful place behind us in the standings.
Farmer1906
AG
This seems good.

Ag_07
AG
I'm not a baseball draft guy. So many players and so many rounds it's too much to keep up with.

So a question for the draft gurus...I'm guessing all the projections for a catcher are to infuse some quality depth into the farm system at that position and not so much looking for their cornerstone catcher of the future.

Yanier has that title locked up the foreseeable future.
First Page Last Page
Page 1071 of 1626

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.