Billy Wagner is Hall of Fame Worthy

16,209 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by The Porkchop Express
AgRyan04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Amen!

Regardless of if Schilling is or isn't a HOFer, I love that he asked to be taken off the ballot and would be honored if he made in in later on players vote.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
jkag89
Farmer1906
AG
I think this is the first ballot where he lost a vote.

This was this dbags 2022 ballot.

AgRyan04
THE DAY THEY RETIRE THEY EITHER ARE OR ARE NOT

NO PLAYER DOES ANYTHING BETWEEN YEAR 3 AND 4 ON THE BALLOT TO CHANGE THAT!

VOTED FOR WAGNER LAST YEAR BUT NOT THIS YEAR?!? COULD SEE VOTING FOR BELTRAN IN THE FUTURE?!?

THIS DRIVES ME BONKERS!
jkag89
That is why I am pissed. I can understand if he used all his available votes both years and the new additions to the ballot pushed him off this year's. Folks like this idiot don't deserve a ballot.
Farmer1906
AG
jkag89 said:

That is why I am pissed. I can understand if he used all his available votes both years and the new additions to the ballot pushed him off this year's. Folks like this idiot don't deserve a ballot.

+1
AgRyan04
Farmer1906 said:

jkag89 said:

+1

+2
AgRyan04
Wait.

All four of his votes from last year are still on the ballot and be didn't vote for ANY of them again?!?
Buck Compton
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I think this is the first ballot where he lost a vote.

This was this dbags 2022 ballot.

Guy is farming for clicks and deserves a sledgehammer to his kneecaps for this mockery. He's trolling, and should be grounds for immediate removal of his voting rights. And not just because of Wagner. His four votes from last year must have had terrible 2023 seasons. Dude is irrelevant and wants clicks.

Move to a rotating mixed committee of former players, writers, and execs/owners/coaches/other baseball people.

jkag89
Hey Manfred, You want to help the Game, Take the Hall of Fame vote away from trolls like this guy. He obviously does not take it seriously.
AgRyan04
Wow. That is like 2nd grade childish.

There is no way that this person should be allowed to vote for the Hall of Fame. You're right, this is 100% a troll move for social media status.
Mathguy64
AG
I feel sorry for Beltran and Beltre. The way this guy changed votes every year they will be minus 1 next year.
Farmer1906
AG
Beltre won't get any votes next year.
Mathguy64
AG
I've not been paying attention to the vote tracking. Is he going to make it?
Farmer1906
AG
98+% on public ballots so far.
AgRyan04
Outkick picked up on the moron

https://www.outkick.com/mlb-hall-of-fame-voter-slammed-for-not-knowing-rules-changing-votes-from-year-to-year/

It actually gets worse.

Except, this is Sheffields last year on the ballot.

Probably should know that as an "expert" in the sport.
Jackal99
AG
LOL. That article says that stupid ****er hasn't covered the sport full-time since 2017. I think we found part of the problem.
Farmer1906
AG
Community Notes got his ass too.

jkag89
Farmer1906
AG
ATM9000
AG
That Breton guy… been a while since I've seen somebody on the internet look like more of a dolt trying to be an edgelord.

People ask him to substantiate the vast inconsistency between his 2023 and 2024 ballots and he never responds and asks for credit for being transparent and then just calls people babies?

Pretty lazy for an opinion writer whose job is to have a take and substantiate it. Sacramento Bee could probably do better.
Farmer1906
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Todd Helton is a product of Coors Field.

Almost perfect 50/50 splits of games at altitude and at sea level. Hall of Fame at home. Hall of Good on the road.

Farmer1906
AG
From 1995-2015 Helton on the road was better than Kent, Utley, Rolen, Beltre, & B Abreu. And very similar #s to Sheffield, Chipper, & Beltran.
Mathguy64
AG
Two more players who played the vast majority of their home games at Coors. That effect is very real and should not be discounted. It turns an average player into very good one. It turns a good one into a HOF one.

Farmer1906
AG
Is that Bichete and Walker? Walker was deserving and played very well in STL & MON.
Mathguy64
AG
Walker is second. He's as extreme at Coors as Helton. I didn't think he was HOF worthy either. Walker (and now likely Helton too) making it and Fat Elvis being dropped the first year makes no sense. None.

The first is Charlie Blackmon. His splits are just as wide.

Bichette had them too but it's a smaller sample as he didn't play there as long. But he was an AS there and average away from Coors.

Coors field is basically steroids for hitters. It's the massive outfield.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Walker is second. He's as extreme at Coors as Helton. I didn't think he was HOF worthy either. Walker (and now likely Helton too) making it and Fat Elvis being dropped the first year makes no sense. None.

The first is Charlie Blackmon. His splits are just as wide.

Bichette had them too but it's a smaller sample as he didn't play there as long. But he was an AS there and average away from Coors.

Coors field is basically steroids for hitters. It's the massive outfield.
This is former #1 pick Jeffrey Hammonds splits from his one year as a Rocky in 2000. Possibly my favorite thing ever in all of baseball lore. His OBP at Coors was 50 points higher than his slugging % on the road.

Farmer1906
AG
Looking good for Wagner as more and more become public.

Farmer1906
AG
I think we're being a little too tough on our candidates. A combo of that, steroids, and fewer stat compilers has tanked the HOF rate.

Jackal99
AG
Well, those things and Marcos Breton.
Farmer1906
AG

The Porkchop Express
AG
If Wagner ever goes missing he is likely chained to a water heater in Ryan Spaeder's crawlspace.
Farmer1906
AG
Ballot Update (129 Ballots - 33.6%)

Adrian Beltre - 98.4%
Joe Mauer - 82.2%
Todd Helton - 82.2%
Billy Wagner - 79.8%
Gary Sheffield - 76.7%
---
Andruw Jones - 68.2%
Carlos Beltran - 65.9%
Chase Utley - 45.0% (this feels disrespectful)

Wagner has gained 7 votes this year but also lost 2. He's NET +5 so far compared to last year's voter. He also gained 9 votes from the 10 new voters that published their vote. It's trending well, but far from a sure thing.
AgRyan04
Not to derail the thread but it's fascinating to me that Sheffield admitted to using BALCO steroids and he's getting legitimate consideration but Bonds, Clemens, Raffy, A-Rod, McGwire, Sosa, etc. are just flat out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.