Billy Wagner is Hall of Fame Worthy

13,764 Views | 225 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by The Porkchop Express
Breggy Popup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

W said:

the problem with Beltre's candidacy...

there were numerous times during his career...I forgot he was still in the league

had a very non-spectacular career

(and yes, got a free pass for the 2004 HR outburst)
Very strange

2001 - slightly below avg hitter
2002 - slightly below avg hitter
2003 - below avg hitter
2004 - MVP level hitter
2005 - slightly below avg hitter

Something was juiced in 2004, whether it was balls or players or both.

2002 - 5059 HR, .748 OPS
2003 - 5207 HR, .755 OPS
2004 - 5451 HR, .763 OPS
2005 - 5017 HR, .749 OPS
The Porkchop Express
jkag89 said:

Quote:

Phil Rizzuto.
He was the shortstop and one of the most popular players of the greatest dynasty of the Game's history. His offensive production was likely far better than most shortstops of his era and losing three full season to WWII is an easy way to dismiss his less than stellar counting numbers. It certainly didn't hurt that he was a very popular announcer and media personality for 40+ seasons.
Well let me know when the Hall of Popular opens up, but he definitely didn't deserve it on his playing days alone.

Unless he was going to hit .650 in the 3 seasons he was in the war, no way those numbers were going to bulk up his stats that much.
The Porkchop Express
Harold Baines doesn't deserve to be in mostly cuz of all the DH stuff, but that guy could rake. He was Uncle MIke with a longer career and the '94 strike and '95 shortened season season probably cost him getting to 3,000 hits. He finished at 2,866 with the game losing 51 games in 94 and 18 in the 95 season. That's 70 games in what was sitll very much the prime of his career. Probably would have hung around to get 3,000 if he another 100 hits from that time frame.

He also hit .324 across 31 playoff games and kept putting up really good numbers in his late 30s. You could make a comparison to guys like Biggio and Dave WInfield for players who just kept producing into the twighlight of their careers and got to the HOF as a result of it.
Breggy Popup
AG
Beltre in.
Breggy Popup
AG
Mauer in.
Breggy Popup
AG
Helton in.
Farmer1906
AG
Screwed
Breggy Popup
AG
Wags did not make it.
Jackal99
AG
Sounds like Helton was the last. Shameful.
AggieJ2002
AG
BS
RED AG 98
AG
Well damn. More hate for the fat guys with typewriters.
Farmer1906
AG
5 votes short
Jackal99
AG
5 votes short...
Breggy Popup
AG
5 votes short. ****ing bull*****
RED AG 98
AG
Double damn. Almost rather it be tons of votes rather than just 5.
The Porkchop Express
He will cruise in next year as the #2 vote getter. Only ichiro is coming on the ballot as a dead lock cinch
aTm2004
AG
Who voted how needs to be made public. This is just abuse of their privilege.

Mr.Bond
AG
aTm2004 said:

They're loser ****in nerds. I have lost a ton of respect and lore for the HOF ever since Biggio got ****ed being first ever 3k hit member to not go first ballot

So many of these losers allow emotions to play a role in their decision
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I'm not advocating for Wagner one way or another but I never really saw him as a HOFer. But, if you voted for him last year, how do you not vote for him this year? He didn't regress from 2023 to 2024. Completely asinine.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Mr.Bond
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm not advocating for Wagner one way or another but I never really saw him as a HOFer.But, if you voted for him last year, how do you not vote for him this year? He didn't regress from 2023 to 2024. Completely asinine.

Could say this pretty easily for a number of guys in the hall. Most impressive part of Wagner to me isn't #6 all time in saves.....its his career ERA. 2.3 is just nasty
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Farmer1906
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm not advocating for Wagner one way or another but I never really saw him as a HOFer.But, if you voted for him last year, how do you not vote for him this year? He didn't regress from 2023 to 2024. Completely asinine.

Could say this pretty easily for a number of guys in the hall. Most impressive part of Wagner to me isn't #6 all time in saves.....its his career ERA. 2.3 is just nasty

The Strikes outs and BA against is literally the best for anyone with as many innings as he has. Thats what sells it for me.
The Porkchop Express
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

I'm not advocating for Wagner one way or another but I never really saw him as a HOFer. But, if you voted for him last year, how do you not vote for him this year? He didn't regress from 2023 to 2024. Completely asinine.

That's where I am too. But I feel that way about a lot a lot of guys.
agproducer
AG
Just ridiculous. Those who played against him thought he was one of the most dominant pitchers they've ever faced.

A complete screw job.

While we are at it, Sheffield got hosed too, imo.
AgRyan04
If Sheffield got hosed then so did A-Rod, Manny, McGwire, Bonds, Sosa, Clemens, and Raffy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YokelRidesAgain
AG
aTm2004 said:

The two writers mentioned as voting for only A-Rod and MannyBManny (Bill Ballou and Tony Massarotti) made their ballots public.

Both are richly deserving of ridicule, but at least they made their thoughts known publicly.

The people who can't be bothered to reveal their votes at all are the real problem.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ag4life80
AG
The stat about Wagner that blows me away is that he could come back and give up 100 straight hits, and still tie Rivera's batting average against. That is insane.
Mr.Bond
AG
Billy could have easily pitched another 2-3 years too. Dude was dominant his last season

Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Fuzzy Dunlop said:

That's where I am too. But I feel that way about a lot a lot of guys.
Same here. I'm all for the HOF being exclusive to the best of the best. Farmer and others make good points about Wagner. My problem with Wagner is the usage. Yes, he had a great BAA and strikeouts. He was a force in the 9th inning. I have a problem with Lee Smith, Harold Baines, and others mentioned in this thread.

Mauer is another one that I'm not convinced about but that's just me.

Edit to add: I don't think Helton belongs either.

As for Mazeroski, I never saw him play but his defense is what got him in the HOF. 8 time GG at 2nd base.
Double Talkin' Jive...
wangus12
AG
Mr.Bond said:

aTm2004 said:

They're loser ****in nerds. I have lost a ton of respect and lore for the HOF ever since Biggio got ****ed being first ever 3k hit member to not go first ballot

So many of these losers allow emotions to play a role in their decision
How they put people in the HoF is a complete ****show by a bunch of media ******bags who never played.
The Porkchop Express
It's hard to believe that any of us would be so altruistic and perfect in our voting habits year to year. If you had someone on your ballot and then read a compelling article or saw something that convinced you they didn't deserve to make the HoF, would you continue to vote for them even if your opinion changed?

A buddy of mine has a vote and agrees that a lot of people who reveal their ballots are just gaslighting for clicks and discussion. But that doesn't mean they all need to get trashed.

Here's Heyman in the NYP this morning talking about his ballot and not voting for Wagner. You might not agree with it, but he makes a compelling case, particularly asking if you think Wagner is in the top 1.18% of all players of all time.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/23/sports/glad-my-vote-didnt-keep-billy-wagner-out-of-hall-of-fame/
Mr.Bond
AG

It's hard to believe that any of us would be so altruistic and perfect in our voting habits year to year. If you had someone on your ballot and then read a compelling article or saw something that convinced you they didn't deserve to make the HoF, would you continue to vote for them even if your opinion changed?

A buddy of mine has a vote and agrees that a lot of people who reveal their ballots are just gaslighting for clicks and discussion. But that doesn't mean they all need to get trashed.

Here's Heyman in the NYP this morning talking about his ballot and not voting for Wagner. You might not agree with it, but he makes a compelling case, particularly asking if you think Wagner is in the top 1.18% of all players of all time.

https://nypost.com/2024/01/23/sports/glad-my-vote-didnt-keep-billy-wagner-out-of-hall-of-fame/
My issue with this part is..... there are a TON of guys in who I wouldnt put in top 1.18% Billys #s are HOF worthy, period. My whole life I never understood why a guy isnt worthy year 1,2,3,4 etc but all the sudden 10 years later hes a HOF'er? The process is just bull****

Farmer1906
AG
2200 players threw at least an inning of relief from 1995 to 2010.

The top 1.18% is ~26 players.

Cut that in half because some starters probably threw in the bullpen. Now we're down to 13 players.

We know most relievers aren't high-leverage closers so take away another 75%. That leaves 3.

Rivera
Hoffman
Wagner

Yup, looks right.
JDUB08AG
AG
If Wagner doesn't qualify for the HOF, on the surface it seems like the ability to enter as a lifetime closer is significantly more difficult and stringent than a position player or pitcher.
AgRyan04

If I had a vote, I would know the day a player laces up his cleats for the last time where I stand on his HOF candidacy. I don't need to be persuaded by other people because as a voter I have watched the sport and that player throughout their career. I wouldn't need five years of retirement and then another ten years of time on the ballot to make a decision.

I don't even have the responsibilty of a vote and I can do that now.

But if I did, I still had five years of retirement to figure it out.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
AgRyan04 said:

If I had a vote, I would know the day a player laces up his cleats for the last time where I stand on his HOF candidacy. I don't need to be persuaded by other people because as a voter I have watched the sport and that player throughout their career. I wouldn't need five years of retirement and then another ten years of time on the ballot to make a decision.

I don't even have the responsibilty of a vote and I can do that now.

But if I did, I still had five years of retirement to figure it out.

I've said similar for years. You're either HOF worthy or you're not. Why do we wait five years and then give the voters ten years to decide. I understand a waiting period but maybe make it three years with five years on the ballot.
Double Talkin' Jive...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.